PDA

View Full Version : Traveller (Mongoose) game S. of Pittsburgh

Wolfwood2
11-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm interested in putting together a Traveller game here in the South Hills/Bethel Park area south of Pittsburgh. I have one player whom I have played with before who is interested, and I'm looking for up to three more. We would play biweekly on either Friday evenings or Saturdays, depending on what works better for players. We would be using the Mongoose version of Traveller rules, which if you have never played them, are very similiar to original classic Traveller.

If you are unfamiliar with Traveller at all, it is one of the oldest science fiction RPGs and draws heavily on the influences of such golden age sci-fi writers as Poul Anderson, Isaac Asimov, and Andre Norton. Many people say the television series 'Firefly' is a good example of a Traveller campaign on the screen. At the moment I am inclined towards running a classic 'crew of a small trader, trying to earn a living' campaign, but I am open to players telling me what they want.

I have run Traveller a bit, though I will need some practice to fully get down combat and starship rules. I look for a very player directed game where you tell me where you want to go. Then I toss problems at you and you either duck them or come up with your own ways to solve them, hopefully finding things in-game to care about along the way. There will never be a single 'right way'; just your way.

The base rules are a very simple, roll 2d6 + Stat + Skill + Difficulty Modifier to try to reach target number. I do feel that the "life path" character generation system of Traveller is an important part of the game, so try not to head into the game with too firm an idea what your character will be like.

Anyway, PM or e-mail me at iengineer@earthlink.net if you are interested.

Etarnon
11-03-2009, 04:41 AM
This sounds like a great opportunity. I currently play in (I'm thinking) the only or one of the only other Traveller games in PGH, in the North Hills at Game Master's Hobby Shop, every other Monday night. Emailing you now.

cplmac
11-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Sorry, neither day would currently be good for me. Especially Saturday's when I work early and have a game group that meets that afternoon and evening.

Wolfwood2
11-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Sorry, neither day would currently be good for me. Especially Saturday's when I work early and have a game group that meets that afternoon and evening.

Too bad. If you know anybody else local who miught be interested, send them my way.

Etarnon
11-05-2009, 10:59 PM
So posted to DMs / Groups Seeking New / Additional Players, on PGH D&D Meetup.

Contacted one potential player, PMing WolfWood2 with Details.

Thanks for the meeting tonight, good conversation. Sounds like it will be an intriguing game.

cplmac
11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Etarnon, thanks for putting it up on the Pittsburgh D&D Meetup. Hopefully you will get a full group from having the game posted both here and on the Meetup site.

Etarnon
11-06-2009, 11:22 PM
When we closed out the meeting/greeting, it was a consensus that we needed more players, so.. wa la.