PDA

View Full Version : Tweak my Archer Build

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-31-2009, 10:28 AM
So, it seems that I really REALLY love archers and I am turning my current character into an archer and the last character I ran in a long term D&D game was also an archer. I just dont like taking damage to be a melee fighter!

So, here is the retooling of the build I am working on. The character is currently 7th level, retraining is allowed but changing classes is not.

Rogue 1 Skill Focus (Disable Device), Dodge, Trap Finding, Sneak Attack +1d6
Rogue 2 Evasion
Fighter 1 Weapon Finesse (short sword), Quick Draw
Fighter 2 Mobility, Dex +1
Rogue 3 Trap Sense +1, Sneak Attack +2d6
Rogue 4 Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge
Ranger 1 Retrain Skill Focus for Point Blank Shot, Track, 1st Favored Enemy, Wild Empathy, Champion of the Wild (ACF)
Ranger 2 Retrain Mobility for Precise Shot, Combat Style (rapid Shot), Dex +1
Ranger 3 Retrain Dodge for Telling Blow, Quick Reconnoiter, Endurance
Ranger 4 Retrain Weapon Finesse (ss) for Weapon Focus (c. longbow), Far Shot, Spiritual Guide (ACF)
Ranger 5 2nd Favored Enemy
Ranger 6 Improved Precise Shot, Improved Combat Style (Manyshot), Dex +1
Ranger 7 Woodland Stride
Ranger 8 Improved Rapid Shot, Swift Tracker
Ranger 9 Greater Manyshot, Spell Relection (ACF)
Ranger 10 3rd Favored Enemy, Wis +1
Ranger 11 Improved Favored Enemy, Combat Style Mastery (Improved Precise Shot)
Ranger 12 Woodland Archer
Ranger 13 Camouflage
Ranger 14 Improved Favored Enemy, Wis +1

I started out with the idea of building a mobile flanking combat expertising feinting melee character, but I really like archery, why fight it right?! I am unsure about Weapon focus (c. longbow) but it would help with the huge penalty from Manyshot. Also, I do not like the redundancy of taking Improved Precise Shot at 12th level only to gain it for free at 17th, but it is such a good feat and I dont like waiting that long for it.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

I like feats and skills so anyone know of any PrCs out there that are comparable and would enhance this build?

d-_-b
10-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I dont know if you think this is a lame suggestion, but here goes: If your DM allows retraining would it be a stretch to ask to retire a character and start a new one at lvl. 7? The reason I ask is because the Scout class is perfect for what you want. Then when you're ready you could take the Order of the Bow initiate prestige class

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-31-2009, 11:40 AM
I dont know if you think this is a lame suggestion, but here goes: If your DM allows retraining would it be a stretch to ask to retire a character and start a new one at lvl. 7? The reason I ask is because the Scout class is perfect for what you want. Then when you're ready you could take the Order of the Bow initiate prestige class

I tried that and caught a bunch of flak from everyone, GM and other players. So I conceded the point and decided to try to make this one work.

While I like the scout class for what it is I like Bab better. If I were to do anything with the Scout class it would be for the Swift Hunter feat. But all I would really gain is an extra +1d6 to damage at 30 ft. and telling blow already allows me to add sneak attack damage on crits, so at this point there really isn't much benefit to taking Scout.

Scout and Order of the Bow would be nice if I were going for precision based damage, I'm going for multiple attacks and lots of damage.

Hmm... well lets see...

Scout = at least a +2d6 skirmish then a +2d6 from ranged precision, so 1d8+4d6, not bad. or 5-32 points of damage. limited to single attack and within 30', potentially 60'

vs.

Current build with Rapid shot = potentially 3d8 damage. or 3-24 points of damage. 3 attacks and not range limited.

vs.

Manyshot with Current build = only 2d8 on a single attack, limited to 30'.

Wow, it looks like ranged precision damage is actually better! back to the drawing board! Might be too late for this character though. :(
--- Merged from Double Post ---
OMG! Ranged Precision is d8's!! Awesome!
--- Merged from Double Post ---
ok, how about this:

Rogue 1 Skill focus (Disable Device), Dodge, Trap Finding, Sneak Attack +1d6
Rogue 2 Evasion
Fighter 1 Weapon finesse (ss), Quick Draw
Fighter 2 Mobility
Rogue 3 Trap Sense +1, Sneak Attack +2d6
Rogue 4 Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge
Ranger 1 Retrain Skill Focus for Point Blank Shot, Track, 1st Favored Enemy, Wild Empathy
Ranger 2 Retrain Weapon Finesse for Precise Shot, Combat Style (Rapid Shot), Dex +1
Scout 1 Retrain Improved Initiative for Weapon Focus (c. Longbow), Telling Blow, Skirmish +1d6
Order of the Bow 1 Ranged Precision +1d8
Order of the Bow 2 Close Combat Shot
Scout 2 Improved Precise Shot, Dex +1, Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge
Order of the Bow 3 Ranged Precision +2d8
Scout 3 Fast Movement +10 ft., Skirmish +1 AC, Trackless Step
Order of the Bow 4 Swift Hunter, Greater Weapon Focus, Skirmish +2d6, 2nd Favored Enemy
Scout 4 Shot on the Run, Dex +1
Order of the Bow 5 Ranged Precision +3d8
Order of the Bow 6 Woodland Archer, Sharp-Shooting
Order of the Bow 7 Ranged Precision +4d8
Order of the Bow 8 Dex +1

So at 10th level she will have the following ranged attack:

+15/+10 (+8/+3 base, +1 WF, +5 Dex, +1 bow)
+13/+8/+13 (1d8+2 damage) with Rapid Shot
+15 (2d8+1d6+2 damage) with Skirmish/Ranged Precision
+2d6 damage on a crit from Sneak attack/telling blow

Not too shabby at all!