PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Dwarf Paladin

timelesstyrant
10-31-2009, 06:25 AM
I want to create a Dwarf Paladin for my next campaign. Problem is...I am an extreme newbie to this edition.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me?

wizarddog
10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
The greatest advantages a dwarf has in the game is his Dwarven Resiliency. As far as optimized in ability scores, the ones needed the most: Strength or Charisma while wisdom allows for good secondary effects on your attacks.

So as dwarf, you might want to be the damage absorbing shield rather than the beacon of damage. Make Charisma your highest ability (because hitting is VERY important in 4e) with Constitution second, Wisdom and strength. You won't need dex and intelligence.

Any new powers you want for your pally are in complete divine, otherwise your choices fall mostly in the players handbook.

You might then consider powers that rely on your charisma to hit. Bolstering strike and Enfeebling strike are a good. For an encounter you could consider fearsome smite or Shielding slam. On pain of death is a good daily because its against will. If you have access to other books, your options open up.

Equipment wise your going to want to be in full plate and carrying a heavy shield, getting the maximum AC you can get so you won't get hit so often while in the thick of battle.

There are very few dwarf pally specific feats but you can choose the channel divinity or other feats. PHB 2 has feats that allows you to use your basic attack with a different ability score (charisma instead of Strength). Or get a feat to increase your to hit.

One drawback on the dwarf is they are slow but fortunately, heavy armor does not hinder them. As a paladin, your not damage dealer but a damage taker. You want the ability to take a beating and draw the forces in battle around you, wasting their time trying to hit you getting and punished if they ignore you. But it falls to you to remember to use divine challenge often.

Grimwell
10-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I really like wizarddog's advice. It makes the dwarf paladin reminiscent of the dwarven defender prestige class from third edition in spirit and goal. You aren't racing around the battlefield engaging the enemy, you are picking your position and holding it well!

timelesstyrant
10-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice. Thank you both for the tips. I have really wanted to run a Pally for some time now, in any edition, but never got around to actually using it. Now, I can.

DMMike
11-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Do Forry pallys get magical warhorses?

timelesstyrant
11-01-2009, 03:26 PM
wut?

wizarddog
11-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Do Forry pallys get magical warhorses?

No.

Valdar
11-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Yes, your resilience is your best trait as a Dwarf- normal characters hardly ever use their second wind since it consumes your standard action for the turn (if you're getting beat on, Second Wind just delays the inevitable). For a Dwarf, you can second wind with only a minor action, and minor actions typically don't get used, so that essentially gives you a 25 percent HP bonus...

DMMike
11-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I want to create a Dwarf Paladin for my next campaign. Problem is...I am an extreme newbie to this edition.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me?

1) Always help damsels across puddles.
2) When toasting to Moradin, don't block your sight with the edge of the stein.
3) Push off toward your horse when mounting. Jumping upward will only cause your horse to fall on you.
4) When confronting anyone who might vaguely be considered Evil, just draw your waraxe and trust in its wisdom.

timelesstyrant
11-15-2009, 02:15 AM
* M. Bison Moment* OF COURSE!