PDA

View Full Version : Dead Game worlds

mnemenoi
10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I was thinking about doing some supplemental material for one of the old settings and wanted to see if there was any interest on the boards here.
Greyhawk - Maybe focus on some little described kingdom or city

Dragonlance - Maybe detail a city or even a nation
Taladas - cover the Bakali or even the Gnomes there

Forgotten Realms - always wanted to work over the Great Grey lands
Al-Qadim - too many things to work on here
The Horde - so little was done in this setting, I'd really like to see it a bit more player freindly
Maztica - One of the port cities would be fun
Kara-Tur - I'd love covering some sort of trade route between here and the Heartlands

Mystara (Blackmoor) - Played only a little, but willing to detail something out for fun

Spelljammer - Work up a plausible Crystal Sphere or adventure

Ravenloft - One of the newer lands or an adventure into a little referenced one?

Dark Sun - Cover one of the smaller way points or even work out one of the Kreen cities in the Crimson Savannah?

Planescape - Soo many levels, where to begin?

Birthright - Never played it, but maybe its an old favorite?

Lankhmar - Lots that was never done here

I'd be up for supplemental stuff, adventures, stories whatever strikes your fancy. Just leave a comment and we'll see what ideas everyone has...

Arkhemedes
10-30-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd be interested in anything you might have to add or flesh out an area. Of course I'd have to go with one of the worlds where I already extensive collections of:

Greyhawk
Forgotten Realms
Al-Qadim
The Horde
Maztica
Kara-Tur
Spelljammer
Ravenloft

Planescape or Dark Sun are also interesting settings though I don't have much on them.

TheYeti1775
11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Spelljammer is always good, but if your making a Sphere than your essentially creating a whole campaign world in itself.

Would love more Greyhawk stuff.

Could always do Dawnforge as well from Fantasy Flight Games. They had three books total for it. With enough empty areas where many things are possible.

lomifeh
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Dark Sun would be cool to do an "end times" scenario for this. One where the planet finally dies completely.

I read they are going to update Dark Sun for 4e though.

traesin
11-05-2009, 01:22 AM
I can never get enough stuff for the Realms.

wbrandel
11-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Could always do Dawnforge as well from Fantasy Flight Games. They had three books total for it. With enough empty areas where many things are possible.
They also produced 2 or 3 adventures for it. I would not mind seeing Dawnforge redone in 4E. that was a good world

TheYeti1775
11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
They also produced 2 or 3 adventures for it. I would not mind seeing Dawnforge redone in 4E. that was a good world

Nope only one adventure, a campaign setting, and a players supplement. Thats it, 3 books only.

The 4th book was a complation of all 3 books in one book.

michaelsbagley
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm currently playing in a Birthright campaign, it seems to be a pretty good setting
(this is my first time playing it). The DM seems to be creating most of the adventures and developing most of the areas we are playing in, and often on the fly...

cpljarhead
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
heres a campaign setting that you probably forgot about for 2e. try hollow world.

Webhead
11-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Dark Sun would be cool to do an "end times" scenario for this. One where the planet finally dies completely.

I read they are going to update Dark Sun for 4e though.

I will be interested to see exactly what they attempt to do with Dark Sun in 4e. Not because I will play it in 4e but simply as a curiousity piece to see how well or poorly it translates (I'm voting "poorly" but then, I didn't even much care for the Dark Sun conversions that were done for 3.0/3.5, so maybe I'm a tad critical).

Lord Soth
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Don't know what else they could do to Athas...i suppose it is possible to burn ashes though....:biggrin:

tesral
05-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Anything you want to do. It will find a home and love somewhere.

SylvanElf
04-20-2011, 03:04 AM
I can always go further into Greyhawk. In fact, in the pre-internet days I wrote quite a bit about it, filling in some under-mapped or explored areas. I always wanted to see the rest of Oerth mapped, though now I kind of like that it's left open. Every adventure I do is set there and I felt like the Glossography and Fantasy Settings could have been expanded.

nijineko
04-23-2011, 10:37 AM
if you are wanting more greyhawk, then go to http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/index.php, and the oerth journal. they are two of the more active (and very quasi-official in material) greyhawk communities.

wotc has an agreement with several fan websites for them to be the officially recognized repository of 3.x material for certain campaigns. those websites are to produce material updating the campaign to 3.x and are considered 100% official wotc produced. the specifics of the agreement state that they are co-owned by both wotc and by the owners of the site(s).

the official 3.x site for birthright is http://www.birthright.net/ .

the official 3.x site for planescape is http://www.planewalker.com/ .

the official 3.x site for mystara (including hollow world, red steel, and part of the blackmoor setting) is http://pandius.com/ .

the official 3.x site for spelljammer is http://www.spelljammer.org/ (Beyond the Moons).

the official 3.x site for ravenloft was http://www.kargatane.com/ until Sword & Sorcery Studios purchased the license to produce 3.x material... but since their site is kinda unreachable, current status is unknown. I think the license has either ran out and has not been renewed, or is about to.

today, for some reason, athas.org and birthright.net are unreachable, though they have been fine in the recent past.

there is no official 3.x fansite for greyhawk, though the aforementioned two sites are the closest thing out there. greyhawk has been officially depreciated with the release of 4th edition. the estate of gygax and rob kuntz still own portions and bits. also check out http://www.trolllord.com/ and http://pied-piper-publishing.com/ for gygax and kuntz's sites, respectively.

there is also no official 3.x fansite for the realms, but both the realms (now default for 4.x) and darksun continue in 4e.

Pelendor
04-28-2011, 06:44 AM
I remember playing two adventures in Al-Qadim and it was brilliant. Could easily imagine splicing in the imagery of the Persians from the movie '300'. I know that you said "too many things to work on here", but a very nearly blank canvas could be just the thing to work on!

tesral
04-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I never used one world or another, but spliced freely into my own world what ever I felt worked. I think Birthright, and Dark Sun were the only two I din't access, and mainly because they were too far off the core.

Good ideas are where you find them.

Otakar
04-28-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm very fond of your site, Tesral. You never really tout it. I really appreciate you sharing your creativity. It's hard to believe all that comes out of a "bird brain". :)

nijineko
04-28-2011, 10:02 PM
I never used one world or another, but spliced freely into my own world what ever I felt worked. I think Birthright, and Dark Sun were the only two I din't access, and mainly because they were too far off the core.

Good ideas are where you find them.

too bad. dark sun is one of the places where some development on psionics is still somewhat happening. i liked your rules on those, btw.

tesral
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Thank you both. Well the reason is I had a very different idea about psionics than the way D&D finally went.
0ed unplayable.
1ed, even more unplayable.
2ed, nice idea don't use this. Double jepordy and a 5% chance of blowing you brain up every time you used a power.
3.xed OK, psionics is a caster class. It worked. However it is not the direction I wanted psionics to work.

Part of the psionics issue is it has never been part of the core rules. It has been a plug in an add on, and just didn't really fit. 3ed using the standard saves for psi works at least.

Q-man
04-29-2011, 05:40 AM
I don't really have a suggestion for which to work on. As was said before; adding to any of them would be a good thing, someone will enjoy your efforts.

I just had no idea there were that many settings out there. I had heard of maybe 5 settings up until now. Now I have a bunch of reading to do as I'm curios what makes each of them unique, and see if any of them might be fun to play a game in.

tesral
04-29-2011, 09:32 AM
TSR spewed settings. They needed something to publish and instead of "Players Manual MCXXVI" they gave you settings and modules. I have lots and I know I have a mere fraction of their output. Let's see.

Forgotten Realms -- 2ed AD&D default.
Greyhawk
Dragonlance
Spelljammer
Al-Quim
Birthright
Ravenloft
Dark Sun
Oriental Adventures -- Technically part of the Realms
Hollow World

And don't forget the D&D Cyclopeda line with it's own setting. A development of the Blackmoor campaign I believe.

I think I got all of them. I doubtless will be corrected if I didn't

Q-man
04-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Wikipedia has a much longer list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%26D_campaign_settings) of settings, though it doesn't mention on that page who published them.

I kind of wish I had some of the books to flip through after reading a bit about them. In particular the Al-Qadim setting has caught my attention, mostly because The Arabian Nights was a fantastic set of stories. I may need to track down a used copy or a PDF edition of it somewhere.

rabkala
04-29-2011, 09:16 PM
I have played most of those settings. I don't remember hearing of Pelinore, I guess even old dogs can learn new things. My favorite was always Spelljammer despite it's problems. I really love the idea, but have always had problems finding players whom share my love of it. I guess Greyhawk and Blackmoor are my next favorites. My brother was hugely fond of The Hollow World. I hated planescape and Al-Qadim. I had problems with the Birthright setting idea. I liked the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms novels, but don't like playing with the weight of the settings. I actually judged several official con games in Kalamar, despite the fact I am normally a high magic type. (I was getting irritated with WoTC around that time.) I suppose there are people out there who love each of the settings.

I agree with Tesral on the Psionics. While a neat idea, it never really fit with the rest of the game. ( Tes can be great when he uses his powers for good! ;))

tesral
04-29-2011, 11:04 PM
My powers are always good for something.

nijineko
04-30-2011, 06:08 PM
absolutely so, tesral.

hollow world is part of the mystara world settings, as is red steel.

kara-tur is part of the realms as is oa and al-quadim. (-if i recall correctly about al-quadim.)

greyhawk is the default setting for 3.x, btw.

the default setting returned to the realms in 4.x.

i've been researching it due to my work in the 3.x archive from the wotc website and all other related official online materials thereof.

jasonj
06-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Greyhawk is an amazing setting , so wide open to this day . Al-Qadim is also very cool

tesral
06-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Wikipedia has a much longer list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%26D_campaign_settings) of settings, though it doesn't mention on that page who published them.

I kind of wish I had some of the books to flip through after reading a bit about them. In particular the Al-Qadim setting has caught my attention, mostly because The Arabian Nights was a fantastic set of stories. I may need to track down a used copy or a PDF edition of it somewhere.

I have some of the Al-Qadim setting materials.including the setting set. Frankly TSR's soft pedaling religion harms the Arabian Knights feel a great deal. As does the frank multi-racial make up on the setting. If don't it myself I would make it a 90% Human deal.

I have used parts of it in my world and yes, that area of the world is low in diversity.

Q-man
06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd have never guessed that the religion would be a huge impact. In the Arabian Nights stories there wasn't much religion involved. All the cool powerful stuff was the work of djinns, I suppose you'd have to water down their powers a bit to let the gods still shine. Still though, its kind of disheartening to hear that the setting isn't as cool as it could have been.

Ah well, there's a set of modules for it. Maybe all I need is the adventures, I'm sure with a bit of work I could conjure up the setting on my own.

tesral
06-01-2011, 10:31 PM
It is not without some promise. Like Most TSR offerings of the 2ed kind you have to distill a bit. They watered everything down to the offensive to no one level. It is a good starting place if you have a grounding in early Islamic culture, or are willing to acquire one. Frankly if you have that you don't need the core set.

As to the Arabian Nights themselves while most of the tales are indigenous to the area it was Frenchman that assembled them into the 1001 Nnights and hooked the Scheherazade angle to it. Very romantic you understand.

nijineko
06-02-2011, 12:13 AM
i tried reading one of the earlier translations... got to about 600-ish or so. some of those stories have so many levels and sub-levels in them, it is quite hard to track sometimes. i recall reading one that had some dude decide to tell a story to illustrate a point... and then in that story some other dude decided to do the same, and in that story someone else tells this story... on to 7-10 levels deep. >< had to return the books to the library. never did get back around to reading them again.

if anyone is interested, i can give you links to the official 3.x conversion sites recognized by wotc as 100% official material for some of these old settings. specifically: dark sun, planescape, spelljammer, mystara, and birthright. ravenloft is technically out there too, but it was licensed by S&SS, which shut down the official site.

tesral
06-02-2011, 01:29 AM
I got hooked on the Seven Voyages of Sindbad myself.

Thorn
10-30-2011, 01:44 AM
I've always like the Realms though all of them could be interesting.

nijineko
11-04-2011, 12:11 PM
well, and technically, Oerth is part of a constellation of 5 parallel primes (from left to right = non-magical -> ultrahigh-magical; with oerth being the right-most). the least magical is our earth, or a subtle variant thereof. a number of famous individuals in the greyhawk setting have artifacts from our world, including a coke machine, a vcr, and a membership in the lake geneva tactical studies rules association.

the best write up has been done on the venerable greyhawk community boards of canonfire, here (http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2507). this should give in one place all the varied bits that have been published or quoted in any part of d&d regarding the parallel worlds of oerth.