PDA

View Full Version : Best D&D Edition

Dr.Dead
10-28-2009, 12:10 AM
I think personaly Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 is the best edition yet that has came out because you can upgrade your monsters and make them as equil as your character.

-1st ed had to many flaws and created lots of arguements
-2nd ed was just stupid
-3rd ed was good just needed some work thats why 3.5 came out made it better
-4th ed was making your character overpowered I think plus it was extremely confuseing to transfer your character

What do you guys think is the best edition for D&D

Dytrrnikl
10-28-2009, 12:53 AM
I can't really speak for editions prior to 2E, simply due to a lack of experience with the early incarnations.

However, for me it's as follows:

2E: Less codified rules set-up allowing for greater GM fiat/interpretation and player free form play. Combats were less tactical, more fluid, and story driven. Absolute best edition of game, at least in regards to the style of play I enjoy. Only silliness was the 7th level limit for Priest Spells.

3E/3.5E: Had a lot innovation compared to 2E. More tactical combat mechanics made it annoying at first, but eventually found a happy middle ground. A wider variety of classes. However, the plethora of choices makes it a very clunky system.

4E: The latest version simply doesn't promote the style of play I enjoy - I like gritty, down to earth, death is a very real possibility at every level sort of play. This edition characters are quite capable and 'heroic' from day one and the system is overall very player friendly. If you prefer, I do not enjoy success based systems, as this is an extension of the completely unrealistic and fallable 'You didn't lose, you're simply the last winner' thinking - at least from my perspective.

Sneaksta
10-28-2009, 01:21 AM
My experiences fall mostly to 2nd, 3.0, 3.5.

I like 2.0 best, both for being the first rpg system i learned, but also because , IMO, it offered the best system to actually define your character as a character... the skills were in depth, thieving skills were seperate, so you could specialize in them, unlike in 3.5 where most fall into 3 skills, and it was an all around, balanced, well working system.

3.5 broke it open, giving more special powers in the form of feats, but also opening the doors wide open to munchkin'ism. And for making yer' monsters as equal as yer characters/part level, was really not too much of a stretch for any DM worth half a grain of salt anyway............

I have never played 4.0, so i won't really elaborate on this except to say that i think blown open is 10 fold to the point of idiocy. My Opinion , but someday I may try it and see...

Nostalgia and a truly balanced campaign, 2.0 rules the roost................

TheYeti1775
10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeti D&D 1.99999999999999999999999E :D

My first introduction to D&D was 1E.
I went and bought the Redbox think it was the 'Basic' edition to the Advanced Edition of 1E. :redface:

You want simple, Redbox was it. :laugh:

I've taken from each version and added to my own game, hence the version above.
In truth though, with few exceptions I have found 3.x has meet the majority of my wants and needs in the game system. There are a few things I miss about the previous ones and if my group at the time is open to it I houserule them in. I liked Casting/Weapon Speeds, they really made one think about the build and the advantages and disadvantages of it.

But really the best edition is the one you are playing.

Grimwell
10-28-2009, 01:52 PM
The one you are playing now and enjoy the most.

I'm going to proactively close this thread, as it's a potential trigger for another round of "Edition Wars" which don't do us any good.