PDA

View Full Version : primal power

yukonhorror
10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
So had some impulse buying this weekend.

Reading through the primal power, I likey. I like more options in general, but I really like the extra options for primal characters in this book.

The reason why is because they really encourage a very different playstyle/imagery.

Aside from mechanics, there is also a lot of fluff. Normally I am neutral on fluff, but what was really nice is the warden fluff. Being such a new concept, it was hard to really define, "why did my character become a warden and what are my motivations." This book explains/defines that well. It lays out the niche wardens play with respect to the other primal classes.

I have only glanced through it, but from my glancing I like. Obviously not worth getting if there is no primal characters in your group or you don't play one, but I have two different primal characters. One of the new warden builds is actually a better definition for what I wanted my character to be than what was previously available (lifespring).

The lifespring warden is sort of like the primal version of a paladin.

I'll let other people chime in on what they thought.

clint
10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I liked the Primal Power fluff as well. The guys in my campaign who are playing primal characters brought it up as one of their favorite parts of the book. The druid player in particular seemed the most thrilled with it.

Icarus Wing
11-19-2009, 07:48 PM
In the setting my characters are playing, primal powers are most dominant; more so than divine and/or arcane. (The only arcane classes available are the bard and sorceror.) By comparison to the other power sources, it seems that primal is the most evocative in imaginative powers and overall balance with regards to control, offence and defence. Plus as an editorial point, the artwork is very alluring...
It also lends it self, as previously mentioned, to great sources of background in character creation...I believe somewhere in the back, there is even reference to being raised by a non-native race, and its effect on your traits and persona. Although, there are many primal abilities that lend themselves to 'beat-stick' status...it seems less, 'over the top' than the rest.
Editorial note: it will be interesting to see how the Psionic class(es) compare to the original three plus primal.

Q-man
11-20-2009, 08:03 AM
The fluff is a nice touch. With the changes that have been made to the classes sometimes its not as easy to figure out where they fit in the lore and what might bring your character to such a profession.

The one primal class I still can't quite figure out is the Druid. We have one in our group with 6 players and he doesn't seem to fit into the group very well. His controller powers just don't seem up to the task the same way the wizard's do. I'm starting to get of the opinion that he's more a tool for small groups. Using his various forms as needed to act in multiple roles. I haven't had a chance to try him out in a small group, but it seems like it might be a fit.