PDA

View Full Version : PPG classes/tutorials/workshops

yukonhorror
10-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Ronpyatt (sp?) had a great idea:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13385

Basically, he had the idea of RPG classes to go over mechanics and such of games. I think this is a great idea, and I would actually like to volunteer to hold some. It wouldn't really be on concepts like "powergaming" or fancy GMing tricks (we have ask a GM for that). It would be more on the mechanics of running and playing a game. Maybe some basic strategy, but nothing major.

I kind of conceive them as a series of focused workshops. Like:

1st ed AD&D character creation

Running a GURPS combat encounter

The mechanics of a 4e D&D skill challenge

Or maybe more general like:

D&D minis - how to play the game

The ins and outs of maptools

I guess I put it here in the suggestion box for one main reason:

Set it up like campaign invitations, but have it specifically for a workshop. So a volunteer like myself can put up an announcement for "the basics of maptools" workshop every other sat at 2 pm-5 pm CST. And a random member can browse the workshops offered and sign up for a spot on Nov 7th (or whatever).

Just some thoughts, but I really like the idea. I think this would also help people get a sort of nifty preview for a system they were thinking about playing/running, but weary of purchasing the necessary materials.

nijineko
10-20-2009, 09:42 PM
i like the idea. one could have a requests thread as well for browsing for ideas... or perhaps a special poll?

ronpyatt
10-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Great! I can't wait to see how well it goes. Whatever the results, the experience alone would give us something to improve upon. Besides, I could use some "Map Tools" training.

yukonhorror
10-21-2009, 08:55 AM
i like the idea. one could have a requests thread as well for browsing for ideas... or perhaps a special poll?

I think encouraging requests would be nice. People who want to get into Gurps but are a bit afraid of its mechanics could get a taste of it through the workshops (I would sign up for it :D)

@ron: I did a little mini-tutorial for my group/DM on maptools and I think it went well. You can ask them what they thought (umiushi and palpatim).

But I think it is important to emphasize these as workshops on mechanics or specific gaming tools (like maptools or wikis) not on how to optimize your defender or claim your workshop is on awesome story-telling, but it becomes you recapping what you did in your campaign.

I also think it is important to state what game it is for. I am mainly thinking about what was mentioned in ron's thread, where a workshop claimed to be something very general, but the covered concepts only translated to D&D.

Of course what is REALLY nice, is anybody can go to the workshop facilitator's profile to see their interests and gaming experience. I.e. if you went to mine, you would see it is mainly from a player's perspective and mostly D&D.

Farcaster
10-21-2009, 10:34 AM
So, would these workshops occur in the chat room?

yukonhorror
10-21-2009, 10:43 AM
that's where I was planning on doing it

Maybe in maptools or google docs if I needed proper visual aids, but they at least would start in the chatroom to get everybody together.

ronpyatt
10-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm guessing each class would have it's own specifics as far as what would be useful to facilitate a workshop. A quick google search yielded a lot of pay for services, but this one looks like it might handle something closer to an online classroom environment for no cost http://www.wiziq.com/home/.

There is also dabbleboard.com.

Soon, Google Wave might be an option.

yukonhorror
10-21-2009, 11:54 AM
what I am thinking is a volunteer service. Gamers doing something nice for the gaming community. Maybe if they are successful/popular/held regularly, there can be some sort of tangible award (discount on community supporter account or something like that).
--- Merged from Double Post ---

I'm guessing each class would have it's own specifics as far as what would be useful to facilitate a workshop. A quick google search yielded a lot of pay for services, but this one looks like it might handle something closer to an online classroom environment for no cost http://www.wiziq.com/home/.

There is also dabbleboard.com.

Soon, Google Wave might be an option.

just glanced at that wiziq site, and WOW! That is pretty awesome. I dabble in education research, and I think that is something that is great for distance learning.

yukonhorror
10-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Going to try my hand at DMing again, and this Friday at 7 pm CST I am going to do a basic tutorial on maptools for my group. Anyone who is interested is welcome to attend.

If interested, be sure to download maptools v1.3.b56 and meet me in the TOEE chatroom here at PPG (also send a PM so I can know how many to expect).

cplmac
10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Although I won't be downloading the maptools, I will pop in to see how it is going. This is provided I get a chance too.

yukonhorror
10-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Although I won't be downloading the maptools, I will pop in to see how it is going. This is provided I get a chance too.

Because maptools has a chat feature, once we "start" there will be minimal discussion in the chat room. Just a warning.

nijineko
10-29-2009, 11:43 AM
may i suggest for the gurps fans, or gurps interested peoples, to download the free gurps lite pdf from e23? free, slim, to the point, it makes for a great way to cut ones' teeth on the 4th ed version of gurps. =D

and if anyone asks, tell them that nijineko (mib agent 0531) sent you. ^^

yukonhorror
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
so one person showed up (aside from the people in the game I play and invited), but the maptools tutorial went well.

One of my players couldn't make it Friday, so I did an unscheduled tutorial the next day and invited any onlookers in the chatroom to join. Had one (maybe two) extras join, and that I think went well.

I am willing to do it again, but going to wait until I have more volunteers. The next one I do will be for both DM's and players (players can leave early though). It can be offered a range of times, so we'll see what interest there is.

nijineko
10-29-2009, 09:49 PM
awesome. gametable tutorial next! ;D

yukonhorror
10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
awesome. gametable tutorial next! ;D

I ain't going to be holding it ;). I only know maptools. But go for it.

nijineko
11-01-2009, 12:54 AM
heh. someday then, i just might. should probably run either a traps tutorial or an encounter tutorial too. not to mention that arena battle bit. ah, for the time, or multiple selves, or non-location-based interface to be able to accomplish all the many things desired.