PDA

View Full Version : I have Galaxy at War Campaign Guide!

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
It is pretty awesome and I highly recommend it for any GM running any sort of campaign. Unless it is a premade module. Even if your PCs are essentially mercs this book is very valuable.

An entire chapter on creating battlestations!!?? Yes please! Plus details on several military companies, so good!

Questions? Comments?

Dytrrnikl
10-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I'll say it like this: I'm sorry my wife wasted the gas to drive to the local Barnes and Nobles to waste money to buy me this sourcebook. Overall, it's the worst one released for saga to date. Other than the battlestations info, it reads like a rehash of info from Clone Wars CG with just a little more fluff. Personally, I think it was a perfect waste of lack of creativity. If anyone hasn't figured it out by now, I really, REALLY, am not happy with the content of this sourcebook.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
I'll say it like this: I'm sorry my wife wasted the gas to drive to the local Barnes and Nobles to waste money to buy me this sourcebook. Overall, it's the worst one released for saga to date. Other than the battlestations info, it reads like a rehash of info from Clone Wars CG with just a little more fluff. Personally, I think it was a perfect waste of lack of creativity. If anyone hasn't figured it out by now, I really, REALLY, am not happy with the content of this sourcebook.

Interesting. Cause I find the added general fluff very useful. It has now given me the tools I need to create a better picture of the early early years of the rebellion in my game.

I also like the new equipment presented, particularly the addition of Katarn-class battle armor and the DC-17 Interchangeable Weapon System, I had been looking forward to those forever!

The premade adventures in the back have inspired some creativity and the addition of a full length adventure is an added bonus! I know there are several folks at the WotC boards happy about that one.

I will admit there is a lot of fluff, but for me it is a lot of detail that can only enhance my game because my players like detail and like to get into minutia a little more than I do. It probably wont be of much use to players, except for the addition of new species and talents and feats (which I haven't really scrutinized lately).

But I feel it is a great book for GMs to have. The section on designing Battlestations alone I think is worth it!

As a GM I would rank them in order of how often I use them:

Core Rulebook (obviously)
Galaxy at War (even though it has only been out for a short while I can't put it down)
Scum & Villainy (I use this one constantly)
Starships of the Galaxy (We reference this one quite a bit)
Threats of the Galaxy (I am only now starting to use this one more)
The Force Unleashed (Lots of great information that I use regularly)
Rebellion Era Sourcebook (Lots of great information for players in developing their characters and I have had a player use on of the species feats)
The Jedi Academy Training Manual (I use this one mostly for the character I play in a game)
Knights of the Old Republic Sourcebook (Like TFUCG there is a lot of good material that was presented)
Clone Wars Campaign Guide (good mostly for gear)
Legacy Era Campaign Guide (I have only used this book for the hands-free comlinks)

Dytrrnikl
10-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I will admit there is a lot of fluff, but for me it is a lot of detail that can only enhance my game because my players like detail and like to get into minutia a little more than I do. It probably wont be of much use to players, except for the addition of new species and talents and feats (which I haven't really scrutinized lately).

Ahh, detail. That's the big killer for my games. We play and I run very much from the perspective "story not detail". We'll see if it adds anything of value to my game. My first post not withstanding is my initial reaction to it as written. I am getting tired of constantly added new racfes and talents and stuff in each book.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Ahh, detail. That's the big killer for my games. We play and I run very much from the perspective "story not detail". We'll see if it adds anything of value to my game. My first post not withstanding is my initial reaction to it as written. I am getting tired of constantly added new racfes and talents and stuff in each book.

I don't mind it actually. So far I think they are doing a fairly good job of combining GM and Player content into these books (aside from Threats). Which is something the previous versions lacked. With d6 there were so many splat books it got kind of out of hand. With the OCR and RCR they got better but there was still clear divisions, Galactic Campaign Guide and the Region books. And so far, without an Alien Anthology, species stats in all the books is the next best thing.

Personally I like rules minutia and manipulate those details. My players like story details, which I try to gloss over because it is Star Wars after all. The story is very important and I keep it moving along, but they seem to like the details of "We walk to the arms dealer and I want to make perception checks the whole way there..." Yeah, not gonna happen!

Anyway, I have already put the Battlestations section to good use! I LOVE that section!