PDA

View Full Version : How compatible is Pathfinder?

Dr Berry
10-11-2009, 11:48 PM
One of Pathfinder's biggest selling points is how compatible it is with existing 3.5 supplements. It is also supposed to fix big problems and streamline the system. I am still not sure how exactly it plans to do both.

After all, it seems like you would have to rewrite most supplement classes, given the massive power boost given to the core ones. For example, the knight and the ninja (two of my favorite nontraditional classes) would seem a poor match for the improved fighter or rogue.

I am actually very optimistic about the system, just wanted to inspire some discussion on what works and what doesn't about Pathfinder's backward compatability.

WhiteTiger
10-12-2009, 08:20 AM
It's only backwards compatible insofar as the main SRD is concerned and then only for the basic rules outline. In their attempt to take 3.5 and make it their own and fix some of their rules, they introduced more power creep in order to help out with survivability. Unfortunately, the power creep wasn't just at the lower levels but all levels.

There is little that a GM can introduce in order to make some other of other non-base classes from WOTC keep up in the power creep curve. In some cases you might be able to upgrade the classes hit die. In the Knight's case however, that class is already maxed out so other than introducing some extra feats there is little that can be done short of rewriting the class.

I think Paizo would prefer that you didn't use the old splatbooks but buy into their future books but there is nothing stopping you from using them.
I kinda of talk a little bit about in my review blogs.

MortonStromgal
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I would say very compatible if your willing to understand the old CR ratings need to be lowered and you need to calculate the new grapple stuff. HP, skills, etc are all close enough. They lowered the skill list but you can still use spot etc for the monsters so i don't see this as an issue. The CR ratings I never found all that accurate anyway. At lower levels the CR change is less of an issue than higher levels. PCs are just more powerful with each level.

[edit] I should add that if your happy mostly with 3.5 you could use the pathfinder srd to do things like the way skill pts work, change grapple, make the fighter more powerful, etc. Its basically a house ruled 3.5

wizarddog
10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
One area you need to watch out for is any adventure material you may use. Certain spells don't work as they use to and make a difference in their usefullness. And in the case of pathfinder, nearly all of the spells now have saving throws.

outrider
10-13-2009, 03:45 PM
In addition to the spells, the feats have different effects than in 3.5. power attack, dodge, cleave are different than their 3.5 equivelant. Still looking at the differences.

cpljarhead
10-13-2009, 07:29 PM
as i recall these issues you are bringing up will be taken care of in the not only new monstrous compenduim but the 2nd and final players/dm book in the future. monster manual release in nov i believe or early dec. and the other book out by apr or may next year.