PDA

View Full Version : Tell me About Your Favorite Setting

trechriron
10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
So, I am curious.

What is your fav fantasy setting?

Why?

Also, how did this "why" come out in Actual Play? (as in, what about your favorite setting comes out in actually playing the game).

Give me your opinions P&PG peeps!!!

XeroDrift
10-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Well this doesnt technically answer your question, because in my favorite setting high technology is just as important as high fantasy. That being said, the Palladium Megaverse, Rifts in particular, covers everything you could want in a game and then some.

tesral
10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Thindacarulle -- The only I have been creating for the last 33 years.

It doesn't have anything "special-special about it, a lot of familiar fantasy tropes tossed well and seasoned with a good dressing, but it is my world and I love it.

Hoitash
10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
My homemade setting is pretty good, but my DM has given Forgotten Realms a few tweaks, and I like that, too.

But my world has steam powered tanks and musket wielding dwarves. And ironclads.

I'm not much for a society that doesn't advance technology.

TheYeti1775
10-16-2009, 10:44 AM
My favorite setting has changed through the years.
Think my first favorite was Forgotten Realms. That lasted until I started venturing into 3rd party works of 3E.
Valus by Different Worlds and Dawnforge by Fantasy Flight Games pretty locked in for favorite settings.

MortonStromgal
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Nothing beats Middle Earth IMHO, there is plenty to do outside of the ring quest. I also like mythic earth settings alot :D

Skunkape
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Homebrew world that I've been working on since the 80s. See a pattern here, I have the same thing for my sci-fi game!

Anyway, while I like the Forgotten Realms, which is the setting I would probably use if I didn't have my own, there are portions of the realms that I just don't care for.

So I designed my own game world, using elements from different campaign worlds, game modules and stories to make up my own.

lomifeh
10-19-2009, 04:45 PM
My homebrew is my favorite (shocking I know). I've advanced it over time to move with tech and it's seen the rise of a new empire. I agree that games worlds must advance.

Of the published stuff, Forgotten Realms was always one I liked. It's what I really started with in a serious capacity.

Thorn
10-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Forgotten Realms has always been a Favorite of mine since 2ed AD@d.

Cliar
11-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Mine would have to be Xcrawl. Imagine a world in "modern" times but with the elder races and magic. Magic and an oppressive gov't have stunted the advancement of technology somewhat by removing the mother of invention to a certain extent. To keep the peasant masses in line Emperor Ronald I has instituted Xcrawl, a live pay-per-view blood sport where hearty adventurers go on live TV and battle monsters, overcome devious traps and puzzles and generally play the crowd. The system also lends itself well to both "I like to hit things" and to the more role-play oriented crowd. The world is more than rich enough to handle "outside the crawl" adventuring.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Fantasy: Early on it was Greyhawk and Mystara, but later on and up through today it is an alternate history of Earth (Europe in centuries past), in the WFRP (warhammer rpg) setting.

Science Fiction: I still use the Traveller CT Universe, though in my campaigns, Earth is restricted and would fall under the game Gamma World (yes, i merge the systems to some degree). Truth be told, it is rare that our gamers go to Earth for any reason for its location is in the middle of nowhere.

On a side note: I am very familiar with Forgotten Realms (seems most gamers use this setting today, IME) having read every Drizzt book only having finally burned out on the series with The Pirate King.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Thindacarulle -- The only I have been creating for the last 33 years.

It doesn't have anything "special-special about it, a lot of familiar fantasy tropes tossed well and seasoned with a good dressing, but it is my world and I love it.
I still say you should publish the setting. It could work with any edition, tesral.

DMMike
11-20-2009, 11:28 AM
My favorite setting has a few key features:

- Complex enough to keep players interested, simple enough for the DM to run efficiently. So, dark ages, plus a little extra technology.
- Monsters roam the land, but only to the extent that they don't disrupt ecosystems. Which makes them pretty rare.
- Gods keep their distance. But they're willing to throw down some wrath or an avatar every once in a while.
- People (elves, dwarves, humans, hobgoblins) are fragile. Melee is measured in seconds, not hours.
- Magic is too rare to serve technological purposes. Which makes a staff magician very valuable. Same with enchanted items.
- Heroes and villains mark history. They have extreme luck, power, and followings. Unchecked, they shape the development of civilization. When opposed, they neutralize each other, or destroy civilization while trying.

tesral
11-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I still say you should publish the setting. It could work with any edition, tesral.

Rest of my life to finish. You just want me to give up gaming to work on it full time.

Skunkape
11-20-2009, 12:26 PM
To go into a little more detail about my fav game setting, I've always liked future/post apoc future games. Read quite a few post apoc setting books, seen a lot of movies, even quite a few B grade movies, some I'd even say were F grade! Anyway, I'm really into the genre.

So why not run a game based on that genre. Most of the time, I have to twist my players arms to do it, but when I'm running a game in that genre, I usually start out with my near space campaign.

Mankind has only pushed out to the nearest stars in a 21 light year diameter sphere. But what this allows me to do is run the campaign as a future game for a period of time and move into a post apoc setting when I decide it's time.

The really great thing about that kind of setting is that if I want to have multiple post apoc settings, I let my players have a ship, but restrict their movement so they have to visit planet after planet. I want to run zombie type games, send them to a zombie planet.

Want to run a Terminator setting, send them to that kind of planet.

We had a group restructure, so I never ran the campaign, but I plan on one day running the campaign again, just have to spend some time updating the website for it and rebuilding the campaign as far as the game system is concerned. I was using D20 Modern/Future, but think I'm going to switch back to GURPS or use Basic RolePlaying, which is what I used about 10 years ago.

That game system just works better for me.

I made a couple of Flash intro movies for the game, the first one back in 2005, you can view it here (http://www.johnprime.com/star_quest/flash/teaser1.php).

The current one is the intro to the website, so you can view that one by going to the main page, here (http://www.johnprime.com/star_quest/).

There's an issue with the PHP on the site because of an upgrade to PHP which I have yet to correct, so it probably won't function correctly. One of the many things on the check list for this campaign to fix!

Rest of my life to finish. You just want me to give up gaming to work on it full time.

By the way, I know what you mean!:D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-20-2009, 04:44 PM
You'd have the best time of your life doing it, admit it.

tesral
11-21-2009, 04:46 PM
You'd have the best time of your life doing it, admit it.

I've done that kind of work, it's a merciless grind. It is grand to have it finished, but a lot of bitter struggle getting there.

Hoitash
11-21-2009, 10:16 PM
One of those things where you hate it while you do it, but love it when its done? Those can be irritating. Sort of like graduate school.

Pushkins
11-29-2009, 04:06 AM
There seems to be a theme here...

Homebrew-Fantasy: Been in development for 20+ yrs, Large map, Classic Greek to 1600's Magical technology. Most of the "Monster Races" have gone in to the mists with bloodlines left. ( Bloodlines: Titan, LeShay, Siren, etc...) Illithids are aquatic creatures. Many other unique changes, Heavy influence from Greyhawk

Future: Post Apoc, - Completely Homebrew Game, although D20 modern seems to adapt well, if that stuff ever gets dusted off

Webhead
11-29-2009, 06:49 PM
If we're talking "fantasy" in the generally accepted "ancient world of might and magic" sense then I suppose I have two favorite settings: AD&D's Dark Sun campaign setting and, just recently, the land of Lemuria from Barbarians of Lemuria.

Both are rather "sword-and-sorcery" at their roots about mysterious and unforgiving landscapes, wicked and power-hungry priests and sorcerers, and fearless heroes armed only with courage and steel. They are places where magic is ancient and awe-inspiring and where deeds have more value than words.

wbrandel
11-30-2009, 12:57 PM
My favorite setting is of course my homebrewed world of Erinthar. I started it way back in '85 and have tried to keep it current with the various editions of D&D

squidyak
12-07-2009, 04:38 PM
"Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of..."

Conan ftw!

bigironvault
12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Forgotten Realms for sure - which by the way we interviewed Ed Greenwood on his view of gaming today and its impact on society in Big Iron Vault #3. This will also be followed up with a video interview early next year.

WhiteTiger
12-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I am currently running a game in the Osirion / Qadira & Katapesh areas of Golarion for Pathfinder. I enjoy it a lot since it's somewhat like an Al-Qadim setting. Pretty much any desert environment works for me..
even Dark-Sun.

bigironvault
12-11-2009, 05:30 PM

LOL and from first hand experience, its like a second job.

malchya
05-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Kumbrya, my Home Dark Ages/Norman Era setting. I admit that I've had a lot of fun in Hyboria (Howard) and Middle Earth over the years. At the moment I am working on resurrecting Horseclans from the mists of obscurity.

tesral
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
LOL and from first hand experience, its like a second job.

I don't have a first job. So I technically have the time.