PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Chapter Three



wizarddog
09-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Dark City: The Guid War
Chapter Three


It's time like these, you begin the question the path you choose...

The thieves have been captured by a gang of sea faring bandits. Stripped of their armor, weapons, equiptment and spell components, they have been tossed into a stone prison blocked by a rusty iron door. The smell of the salty sea ocean fills their noses in the pitch black room. Only from the cracks of their door does some light linger and the sharp voice of their captives are heard.

Madoka, bound, gagged and hooded for the first several hours of their arrival became aware of the medical attention given to Gisele and Blake before they gain consciousness. The muttering attendants mentioned that the Captain has summoned the Voice to question the three captives, all now aware they are from the Thieves Guild.

A day passes and Gisel and Blake awaken from their unconciousness to find themselves in the cell with their comrade, Madoka, still bound.(unless she took a 20 in trying to get out of her bonds) However, their experience over the last 24 hours begins to seep in and they feel new strength and confidence. This is but a new challenge...

(DM depending on your last Hitpoints you gain the benifits of a fulls day and nights rest while being attended--you gain twice your level. If you advanced, you gain those Hittpoints in addition to your healing. So Madoka, who suffered only 1 hitpoint would be at full for her level. You add 1/2 you hit die +1 for hit point advancemnet (ie d6 would be 4).

Borodeva
09-30-2009, 05:34 PM
I will indeed take 20 on Escape Artist (+3 mod) to slip out of my bonds. If successful, I will then use Sleight of Hand (+5 mod) to hide slip knots on my gag and ropes to make them appear tightly tied, but to enable quick escape if necessary.

My L2 sheets are posted in the Roster.

What happens next?

wizarddog
10-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Madoka manages to loosen her bonds and pull threads from her hood. She worked diligently to make them appear secure. As she works she hears various voices from the other side of the door noting the comings and goings of several footfalls.

On the bottom of the door is small slot to introduce food but none has come since her capture. Instead, a basket has been left in the cell containing fish jerky, some rotten fruits, and onions. A jug of water has been left as well. A chamberpot has been also provided, but fortunately for Madoka, Gisel and Blake have been unconscious so the room has not been contaminated with waste.

After she finally secures her bounds, she hears several voices murmuring on the other side of the door. One she recognizes is from the dark elf that captured her.

(DM when the other PC's post, it indicated when they finally regain conciousness)

Borodeva
10-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Roll/crawl over to the door and try to listen through the food slot. Taking 20 on the Listen check. Can I make out any conversation?

CaptainShar
10-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Gisele comes to with a groan. "Oh! I didn't think being awake could hurt so much!"

She closes her eyes in pain, but as she keeps them closed, she becomes more peaceful. A tinkling chime sounds from nowhere and Gisele opens her eyes again, positively glowing with health.

(Spending 3 PP to get to full HP)

(My character sheet has been updated. It is still at http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=133230 . I took the Life Mantle which gives me a healing power.)

rob5879
10-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Blake wakes up, looks around, and begins muttering in Halfling while struggling against his bonds.

wizarddog
10-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Blake is happy to find he is not bounded, an unconscious prisoner need no restraining.

Gisele uses her healing power (remember that you would have healed 4 hitpoints while unconscious--2 for level and 2 for the extra care. You also have all of your 2nd level hitpoints.)

Madoka listens intently behind the door. The many voices murmur as the occupants pace. The Dark elf's voice is the most pronounced...

"..that is the captain's orders."

"Blimey, we got to baby sit these stinking thieves?!"

"Don't be fooled. There something more to them. The Voice claims they are mere footpads... but none of the operation officers are in charge of them."

"The Voice? When are we going to meet this bloke. He's been calling the shots here for over three months."

"That is for Captain Mortimer to decide. We need to concentrate on getting the Light house ready for the Nymph's Kiss. It's due in port in three days."

What about the fish men?

A new liaison is expected.

Good. Never like that Kell fellow.

You can thank the thieves for that. They slaughtered that bloke and beheaded Whiska!

We should let Ratkins have a go at them, Whiska was his brother!

No. Ratkins needs to do his job. After we finish with the Nymph's Kiss we can throw them to the Skrag.

You think those fish men will keep their bargain?

The Captain trusts the Voice will deliver. He has yet to steer us wrong. Now, you know your duties, get to them.

The shuffling of feet are heard and the room becomes quiet. The voice of the dark elf addresses another.

The Voice is determined to know who these rogues are working with. He will won't be here until later tonight. Make sure nothing happens to them. The Voice was very clear he wants them clean for his...interogation.

A short grunt is heard and the foots of the elf fade off. A large snort is heard and heavy footfalls move across the room. A large loud creak is heard as if a large mass was sitting in a chair.

CaptainShar
10-02-2009, 02:53 PM
(Only using 2 PP then. :) )

"Did you catch what they were saying out there, Madoka?" asks Gisele in a whisper.

Borodeva
10-02-2009, 03:10 PM
"Yeah."

[Whispers the enemies' convo to Gisele and Blake.]

"Seems like there's only one big thug out there now. He's probably not human. If one of you can lure him over so I can get a look at him I can try to Charm him. Then maybe we can get out. If he's not a humanoid we'll need a plan B. For plan B, I can cast an illusion of an empty cell. If both of you make noise he'll come look and when he sees an empty cell he's almost sure to unlock it and come in to see what happened. Then we jump him with all we've got. You can still use powers, right Gisele? We need to escape before they bring us to interrogation. There will be too many guards at that time to get away. Now's our chance."

[I need a bit of fleece for Silent Image. Is it possible to get some from someone's clothes? I assume wool is about the most common civilized clothing material back then. Also I'm assuming if I lay on the floor I can peer out the food slot and at least see the hallway.]

CaptainShar
10-02-2009, 06:57 PM
"If the guard's mind is weak enough, I can harm him directly through his brain, bypassing the body entirely. Generally the brightest are not left on guard duty. If he proves resistant, however, I can build a warrior to fight for me."

Gisele gets up and stretches.

"You feeling all right, Blake?"

rob5879
10-03-2009, 02:19 PM
"I'm still hurt, but I feel... yes now I can make myself invisible for very very short periods of time. Not enough to help us out of our current situation, but I'm sure it will prove useful in the future."

Borodeva
10-03-2009, 06:51 PM
"Ok, one of you figure out a way to get the guard to come over. If he's humanoid I'll try to charm him. If he's not, I'm going with Plan B like we talked about."

[Madoka slips out of her bonds and removes her hood and gag, and waits, peering through the food slot so she can get a look at the hulking guard if he approaches.]

wizarddog
10-03-2009, 08:25 PM
The food slot is closed and will not budge. Perhaps it has a latch on the other side. The gap below the door allows you to see 10 feet from the door. You do not have line of sight of any creature. You can target the floor outside, but that would be taking a risk of alerting the complex. After all, Gisel assumes that the creature is dim. There are many creatures which are not. And as far as Madoka knows, all of your captors assume her to be a "Wizard". And she knows they have been cautious with her and the others because they slew a wererat, saughin and two thugs (not to mention routed the rest). There enemy right now is not so disorganized as you would hope. They obviously are getting support from something or someone...

(continue plans)

Borodeva
10-04-2009, 12:18 AM
I gather material components for spells:

Bits of fleece from clothes or maybe an old blanket for Silent Image.

Fine sand from the floor of the cell or maybe even shaken out of our clothes or blankets for Sleep.

Cured leather from clothes or pouches or bitten off of shoes or boots for Mage Armor.

If I can see 10' from the door, I can see the guard if the others can draw him over.

Plan A: Draw the guard over and I try to Charm Person on him with concealed spellcasting. (+10 Sleight of Hand vs. Spot)

Plan B: Make an illusion of an empty cell and make noise so the guard comes. Jump him when he comes in to look around.

Plan C: Blake turns invisible and we attract the guard, then when he comes in to look for Blake, we jump him.

Plan D: I can use Disguise Self to disguise myself with a +14 Disguise mod. Not quite sure how we would use this to escape out of the cell though.

Anyways, what do you guys want to do? A, B, C, D, or something else entirely?

CaptainShar
10-04-2009, 01:47 AM
"I'll try to get the guard to come over by asking where they've taken you two. That should get him worried that you guys have escaped! If you guys want to hide or turn invisible when he comes in to look, all the better!"

"Come over here, Blake," Gisele heals him for 2 points of damage.

Borodeva
10-04-2009, 03:04 AM
OK, a variation of Plan B. Gisele gets the guard to come look, I make an illusion of the back of the cell being empty, we jump him and get the keys when he comes in to look.

[I cast Mage Armor on myself, then I put up a Silent Image that the back of the cell is empty while Gisele calls the guard over. I'm actually standing at the back of the cell, as far from the door as possible.]

CaptainShar
10-04-2009, 06:49 PM
After healing Blake, Gisele calls out,

"Guys? Guys? Hello?"

She makes sounds as if searching through the meager furnishings of the room. Then she goes over and pounds on the door.

"Where are my friends?" she cries out in a voice of distress.

wizarddog
10-05-2009, 12:01 AM
There is a long sigh and a garbled voice returns to her under its breath. Madoka recognizes it as Goblin.

"Like I can't smell you in there.."

Borodeva
10-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Crap! I talk about his mama a little bit in Goblin. I guess we wait. What happens next?

wizarddog
10-05-2009, 02:39 PM
The theives try to find a way out of their cell.
They could wait it out, but do they wish to meet this Voice? And what is this plan that will happen in three days? They have the means to take out this guard but a simple barrier has left them powerless. If only that stupid food slot could be opened...

Borodeva
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM
The theives try to find a way out of their cell.
They could wait it out, but do they wish to meet this Voice? And what is this plan that will happen in three days? They have the means to take out this guard but a simple barrier has left them powerless. If only that stupid food slot could be opened...

"If only I had my spell components, I'd just Open that slot. Damn!," Madoka curses under her breath.

"Gisele, how about some summoning action?"

[Madoka rubs her hands together and smiles devilishly.]

[Thinks for a second and then kicks Blake]

"So when are you gonna start carrying your load? We could use some help planning and maybe even some backup if we get in a fight. You fight worse than I do, and I'm a lover not a fighter."

CaptainShar
10-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Gisele notices the stone and dirt around them and does a facepalm. She begins to summon her Amber Tunneler construct, using her sculpting skill to make it look vaguely like a small ankheg. She describes fast legs and lightning breath.

(Spending 2 points to give it an extra ability from section B, I believe I can do this now, if not I'll sub the lightning breath with the improved slam attack again.)

(Amber Tunneler, extra fast, lightning attack OR improved slam.)

A few seconds later, the creature materializes in front of them and starts digging busily into the ground, creating a nice sloping tunnel under the door towards the direction of the goblin voice. If the hole isn't big enough, it'll use the speed boost to come back and widen the tunnel. If it is, it'll attack the goblin when it sees it.

wizarddog
10-05-2009, 08:03 PM
(DM Gisele needs to be 3rd level manifesto before she can improve her astral construct. Currently her construct last 2 rds. When she reaches third she can create a 2nd level construct (spending 1 pp for the construct and +2 PP to enhance--total of 3). She can only apply one A feature to a 1st, 2nd or 3rd level construct. When she can create a 4th, 5th, 6th level construct, she can apply a B feature. The construct only gets the one feature (less it gets one from another feat) the power itself does not give any more features.

Given this clarification, Gisele can decide how she wants to command her construct.

A Burrowing creature has the option of leaving a tunnel if it desires. Gisele controls it via mental commands. It is small size, so it leaves a small size hole as the tunnel.
If she wishes it to burrow a tunnel and create a surface that can be broken out by her allies, she will need to make a concentration check to keep it steady. Alternately, she can have it burst out and attack the creature, but her commands are limited due to have no line of sight.
A small tunnel would be squeeze and a crawl space. A larger tunnel created by the creature will be a crawl space. The displace rock would fill the cell.)

CaptainShar
10-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I do indeed have a feat that will allow me to give the construct an extra ability.

I will give it the extra movement ability and the improved HP ability, then, because I wish to summon it out in the hallway instead. I'll direct the construct to start burrowing and displace the rock toward the place I heard the goblin's voice. Hopefully I'll injure or at least block him with all the displaced rock!

I'll have it tunnel from the hallway to the cell once, then scoot back to where it was, and tunnel again next to its existing hole so as to widen it. I believe that will use three movements total, so I should be left with a spare standard action if I need to do something else. Also, all of the displaced rock will be conveniently in the hallway obstructing the goblin, rather than in the cell obstructing us.

wizarddog
10-06-2009, 09:52 AM
(DM we will assume that Gisele can increase the creatures burrow speed...by RAW the speed increase only applies to landspeed.)

The amber Tunneler appears 10 feet from the cell door and begins to tunnel into the rocky cavern floor. A shout in goblin is heard and heavy footsteps run out of the cavern room. Madoka was unable to see a target with all the commotion (and for safety reasons). The creature bursts through the floor of your cell after tunneling 15 feet and descend again, creating a larger hole large enough for a single medium size to get under the door and into the cavern room without much trouble.

(Actions. The Ambler Tunneler still has a standard action or before the round ends.)

Borodeva
10-06-2009, 12:29 PM
What did the shout in Goblin say? I know Goblin.

"Let's get through the hole and spread out and try to find our stuff! I need my spell component pouch!"

[Madoka leaps recklessly into the burrow and crawls out into the cavern room, double-moving to make sure to make it all the way out.]

What can I see?

CaptainShar
10-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Did the goblin run close enough to the construct for it to attack it at any point? I'll use the standard action for that, if so. Otherwise, I'll just have it make one more pass to widen the tunnel a little more.

Gisele will dive through the tunnel behind Madoka, looking to cast Mind Thrust on the guard as soon as she sees him.

wizarddog
10-07-2009, 09:18 PM
(DM The final sound the guard made before running out was the goblin equivalent of "WTF!?")

Madoka jumps down and crawls through the opening emerging into a 25x25 cave stone cut room. A oil lantern is suspended by a chain in the center. Immediately opposite the rusty iron prison door is a passage way that goes into darkness. The chain to the lantern is attached their to lower for refilling.

The floor is sandy save for the gaping hole being torn out by the amber tunneler. Cave stone debris now is scattered about the corners. Near where the guard sat is a knocked down rotted chair reinforced by rope and a rickety table. On the table are three pairs of rusty manacles, each connected by it's own chain.

Blake follows, grabs a pair of rusty manacles as a makeshift weapon and positions himself adjacent to the cavern entrance.

There appears to be no sign of your equipment though Madoka hears several voices echoing in the cavern passageway.

The Amber tunnel makes another pass and Gisel emerges and readies herself to blast any target that enters the chamber.

(actions; note order).

Borodeva
10-08-2009, 01:48 AM
[Madoka flips the table on its side, pulling it against the wall on the near end of the room (far away from the passage) and positioning it as a shield towards the dark passageway. She then Hides behind it (+11 mod) and readies a Concealed (+10 mod) Sleep spell, peering through the cracks of the table. I will declare targets once I see who's coming.]

"Let's make this count. You guys try to take down the Dark Elf Warmage. He's armored and dangerous. Don't conserve power. I'll try to take down all the minions or the big dumb guard. I've got Sleep ready."

CaptainShar
10-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Gisele grabs one set of cuffs as well and then moves behind the table, too, and starts summoning another construct, with Improved Slam and extra HP.

wizarddog
10-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Madoka flips and begins to pull the table to the entrance. Blake, upon seeing what she was doing, helps her put it into position. Madoka ducks behind it and Blake positions himself on the side of the wall.

Madoka peers through the cracks of the table into the darken cave passage. It goes for about 30 feet and turns left. At first she sees nothing but then she notices a silhouetted figure creeping along the passage. It is a human, armored in studded leather and aiming a crossbow. A Longsword is sheathed by his side.

Madoka then realized that the rogue has spotted her and fires his crossbow at her. The bolt digs into the table, inches from the peep hole she used on the table. The light of the chamber must be giving her position away in the table. Must be a sharp shooter.

Gisele ducks behind the table and begins summoning another astral construct. She has spotted the rogue as well thanks to his attack.

(DM While behind the table Gisele and Madoka are given superior cover +8 AC to melee and Ranged attacks. Currently, they are both spotted as their silhouettes are lit by the light through the table. Rolled a lot of highly modified 20's. Madoka and Gisel also are crouched and receive a -2 AC from melee attacks and a +2 AC vs ranged. They are only spotted by the current target, if they take him out they can hide behind their superior cover or leave the area into the cavern to gain total cover and come back---none have the ability to hide while being observed. Blake currently has total cover, though he has peered over to see the target this round.)

Borodeva
10-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I will cast Dancing Lights to make 4 will-o-wisp-looking lights down at the corner of the dark passage, illuminating as torches in either direction, and wait for the construct to kill the pesky sniper. I will bob the lights up and down and zig-zag them back and forth as I imagine a real will-o-wisp would move.

"Kill him and let's get his weapons!," Madoka whispers to Gisele, careful not to break her concentration.

wizarddog
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Madoka casts lights into the corridor, lighting it up. Around the corner a large muscular savage humanoid covered in hair emerges. Madoka recognizes it as a bugbear armed with a wooden sheild and morning star. It and the first guard move together and charge into the table. They overcome Madoka and Giseles brace and push the table five feet. Madoka manages to move to the side, but Gisel is knocked prone. She does not lose concentration. Madoka is 5feet away from the Bugbear. Gisel still has cover and is 5 feet from the human, prone but the table between them.

As they pass the door way pushing the table, Blake clocks the human with the manacles right in the head (11 points of damage). A large gashed is on his head; and average human would have been clobbered but this tough guy is still standing. Blake fails to tumbles back, but since the human never drew his weapon, he can't take a hit on him.
Blake is now 15 feet from them.

(DM Gisele's construct can be summoned behind the enemies or anywhere not occupied at the beginning of her turn using her standard (she started with her last standard) the creature will be able to take full action, she will have a move action left.)

rob5879
10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Blake turns invisible, sneaks up behind the human, and chokes him out with the manacles.

Borodeva
10-08-2009, 06:04 PM
"I need some help right here in Fuzzy's face!," Madoka indicates the square between her and the Bugbear, closest to the Bugbear, to Gisele.

[5-step back so I'm now 10 feet from the Bugbear, and cast Sleep (Will DC16) targeting first the Bugbear, and then the human if I have enough hit dice to affect them both.]

Plan is for Gisele to summon the construct into square E1 adjacent to the Bugbear, preventing it from closing on either of us without provoking from the construct. If Blake doesn't take out the human, the construct should attack the human and try to finish him off.

B H

E1 T

E2 G

M

B= Bugbear, E1 = empty square where the construct appears, E2 = second empty square created when Madoka 5-steps back, M = Madoka, H = human, T = table, G = Gisele. Wall runs all the way down the left side of the map.

CaptainShar
10-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Gisele summons the construct where Madoka indicates and has it attack the bugbear, then stands up.

wizarddog
10-09-2009, 03:08 PM
The Constructs materializes between Madoka and the bugbear. It immediately strikes at the creature in the leg. It howls in pain (5 pounts of damage). Gisel gets up from her prone position.

Madoka cast sleep. The Bugbear immediately drops into a long snooze. The human staggers and falls as well. Madoka hears the sounds of more shouting down the hallway.

(DM Blake and Gisele can take their turns before Madoka since the two enemies are out. Of them all, only Ambler tunner can coup de gras this round. Blake is to far away but can move up. Blake can apply his Sudden strike on a down target. He takes -2 to hit with the manacles becasue they are improvised weapons.

Gisel can try a coup de gras but the target has +4 to AC (+8 superior cover, -4 prone) if she moves 5 feet up. She also takes a -2 to use the manacles as they are improvised weapons. She can also choose to go around the table and simply smacking them.)

CaptainShar
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Gisele has the construct coup de gras the bugbear.

She walks over next to the human and smacks it, hoping to keep it down.

Borodeva
10-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I take the crossbow and bolts from the human sniper guard. I also slide the table back into position and Hide (+11) behind it, peering through the cracks again.

"Niiice! You two finish 'em off, quick-like!"

Hopefully the construct, Blake, and Gisele can CDG the two enemies. Then let's all hide and break the lantern, using darkness as cover. Keep in mind the Dark Elf has darkvision, though.

Can I make out any words or languages from the hallway?

rob5879
10-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Blake walks up and smacks the fallen human with the manacles.

wizarddog
10-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Madoka picks up the crossbow and bolt quiver from the human guard. As she pushes the table over she hears the crushing sound of Gisel and Blake delivering a fatal blow to the human and the snap of the bugbears neck from the amber tumbler. The voices are incoherent though they are coming closer. The lantern is smashed and the chamber is now dark. Only the light of the dancing lights illuminates the hallway.

(actions)

CaptainShar
10-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Gisele grabs the bugbear's shield and hides behind the table with Madoka. She motions to Blake to take the morningstar and put out the light. She whispers "I'm going to try and take them out with mental attacks now, I'm running low on energy to create the ether bugs."

Borodeva
10-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Perfect, we can see them coming but they can't see us unless they have Darkvision or Blindsight. I suggest Blake take the longsword or morningstar (whichever he is proficient in) and hide again by the entrance so he can sudden strike with it. I will shoot the crossbow since I'm a good shooter. Gisele can equip the shield and take whatever weapon Blake doesn't take. When we have time, someone can put on the studded leather armor from the human. Does the Bugbear have any armor?

Gisele can hide again with me behind the table and this time only people with Darkvision or Blindsight should have a chance to see us since we're in darkness.

I will load the crossbow and ready an action to fire at the first enemy I can get a clean shot at in the lighted passageway. Crossbow +4 to hit. Is it a heavy or light crossbow?

CaptainShar
10-10-2009, 03:56 AM
Gisele will take whichever weapon Blake doesn't want.

rob5879
10-10-2009, 10:23 AM
"I'd prefer the crossbow (point blank shot feat) but I'll take the morningstar if you insist. I can't properly use the longsword or armor."

Crossbow within 30': +5 to hit, +1 dmg
Morningstar: +1 to hit, +0 dmg

Borodeva
10-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Sorry dude, I'm way too squishy to melee and you have Sudden Strike. My melee to hit is -2 total.

wizarddog
10-10-2009, 01:09 PM
The Amber tunneler disappears. The group ready themselves for a second assault. Flushed behind the table, Gisel and Madoka peer out into the hallway. Emerging from the hallway some 30 feet away is a a humanoid shape covered in matted brown fur and has a long hairless tail. It's face is distinctly ratlike. It carries no weapons but a sash along it's chest has the glint of several metal star like objects. It lifts its nose in the air and immediately stares down the corridor with red glowing eyes.


(actions)


(DM The Human has a masterwork longsword, Masterwork studded leather, light crossbow and 19 bolts. The bugbear had leather armor, a light wooden shield and a morning star. It's unlikely anyone can equip the armor in this short time.)

Borodeva
10-10-2009, 01:41 PM
WERERAT NINJA! Holy shiznit!

Round 2!

FIGHT!!!

Knowledge check to recognize this creature and its powers.

"Squish its brain HARD!," Madoka whispers to Gisele.

I cast a concealed (+10 mod) Daze on it. Will DC15.

CaptainShar
10-10-2009, 07:55 PM
To wrap up the weapon distribution from before the wererat appeared...

Gisele pushes the morningstar into Blake's hands and says "tough luck." She grabs the sword as a backup weapon for herself.

When the wererat appears, she reaches out for its mind for a weak point. (Just spending 1 PP.)

wizarddog
10-11-2009, 12:45 PM
When the wererat appears, she reaches out for its mind for a weak point. (Just spending 1 PP.)

(DM What power is she using? Mindlink only works with a willing target.)

Borodeva
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Mind Thrust ftw! Squish that brain!

wizarddog
10-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Madoka recognizes that it must be another were-rat. But their is something different about it. It has extremely long claws and sharp teetch. It's eyes seem to penetrate the darkness it looks nastier than the one they fought before. Madoka realizes this creature is a monstrous humanoid shape-changer and her daze spell will not work against it. In addition, she believes the creature sports superior strength, tough hide, deadly claws, and a strong will in addition to the immunity to non silver weapons. By the look on its face, it also appears to have a superior sense of smell.

(DM Madoka may change her spell since she did a knowledge check BEFORE casting her spell)

Borodeva
10-11-2009, 01:09 PM
"Ah crap, this is a monstrous wererat--super tough," Madoka whispers to Gisele.

[Casting Sleep on it instead. Will DC16. Hope it doesn't find me!]

CaptainShar
10-13-2009, 01:51 AM
(I was using Mind Thrust.)

wizarddog
10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Madoka cast her sleep at the creature. It shakes its head abruptly and seems unfazed by it.

Blake readies the mace to strike should the creature emerge pass the barricade-cursing he didn't have that crossbow to fire this round.

It moves up 10 feet and takes a whiff of air. It then looks directly at all three of you (well, not extacly at blake but his general postion). It seems to have pin pointed you all!

A high pitch sound wavers in the area and Gisele sends forth a mind thrust. The creatures whiskers twitch, but he seems unaffected by it.

(actions)

Borodeva
10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I thought Blake was gonna hide by the passage entrance again and clobber it when it came into the room?

I stay hidden and cast a concealed (+10 mod) Silent Image of a strong iron cage with vicious spikes discouraging any interaction with the cage appearing around the rat.

"A rat in a cage! How fitting!"

Bluff +7 if that applies.

CaptainShar
10-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Gisele adds her voice to the persuasion:

"Yes, you have angered the mighty wizard and fearsome sage. Don't oppose us any further if you value your life and sanity."

(Diplomacy check.)

wizarddog
10-14-2009, 03:12 PM
I thought Blake was gonna hide by the passage entrance again and clobber it when it came into the room?

(DM Exactly what he will do IF the creature makes it to the passageway.)

Madoka cast a cage with spikes on it, but her threat is taken likely. The Rat creature reaches out at the spikes and hisses stepping straight through the illusion. (Perhasp if the spikes appeared as silver it would have been more effective bluff)

Giseles remarks are empty to the creature, since it saw through Madoka's illusion. It hisses back.
"You killed my brother, now I will kill you!"

It rushes forward and leaps over the table. Blake comes down on it with the mace but it bounces off it's hide. Gisel takes an opportunity attack as it lands adjacent to all of the thieves impaling it with the longsword. It seems unfazed by the blade piercing straight through the chest, and hisses.

Now the creature is adjacent to you all. The stars on its sash glint in the light of the dancing lights.

(actions)

Borodeva
10-14-2009, 05:04 PM
"Mindlink me if you have time," I whisper to Gisele.

I then tumble past the wererat (+4 check) to avoid provoking, hoping it won't see me clearly, (AC17 currently + cover + concealment as applicable) and run straight for the corridor with the dancing lights. My plan is to put some distance between me and the rat and to scout ahead for our escape. I want to double move as far from the rat as possible, though I won't run ahead into more enemies if I see some.

What do I see?

wizarddog
10-14-2009, 11:25 PM
(DM: The DC to tumble past will increase by 2 to get over the table you placed to block intruders. Currently, you have no cover or concealment and when you summersualt over you still won't while moving through it--the creature has bypass your cover and you don't have concealment from it. Once you get over, you receive the cover bonus if he tries to throw a star at you. You may rethink the strategy if you don't want to risk missing the check. Currently, the creature has delayed and now acts last after all the PCs.)

Borodeva
10-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Ok, instead I will full withdraw, taking my first 5 ft. diagonal forward around the table and away from the rat so I get out of range without provoking. If I still provoke, I'll take the AoO and keep moving, with the intent to get down the passage, around the corner and as far from the rat as possible since I have a double move. After the first 5 ft., I run straight down the Dancing Lights passage, scouting ahead for enemies and a possible way out of the jail.

What do I see?

CaptainShar
10-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Gisele runs past the rat, too, and starts up a Mindlink with Madoka.

rob5879
10-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Blake steps to block the hallway behind Gisele and goes full defensive.

"I hope your boss knows you want to get your revenge before he's had a chance to question us."

wizarddog
10-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Madoka tumbles past the creature and somersaults over the table running down the passageway(DC 17 tumble check which she made). When she turns the corner (total of 40 feet) she see it opens into a 30x30 chamber lit by lanterns and a small spit fire. A table with three chairs in nearby along with four bedrolls, some sacks and chest amongst some empty jugs scattered on the ground. Two exit lead out of the chamber; one directly ahead emits flickering light while another to the right has a steady light source.

Gisele climbs over the table to follow and feels the slash of a claw graze her back (4 points of damage) she continues for 20 feet (10 to climb over) and activates her mind link (you will have to provide the benefits on next post).

Blake steps into the doorway to block the creature. It merely hisses at his remark. Blake goes into full defense (+6 AC). The creature brings a claw down on him but he dodges. It comes back with another claw and he ducks. The creature bears its fangs and tries to bite him, Blake brings the morning star up and smacks his face away.

(actions)

Borodeva
10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Over the Mindlink:

"There's a camp up here, flickering light in the exit straight ahead, and steady light in the exit to the right. I'd say you check right. Maybe it's sunlight? I'm gonna look through the chest and sacks here for some gear."

I quickly flip the chest open and dump the sacks on the floor, searching for our gear or anything of usefulness. Any luck?

Out loud:

"Just a little longer, Blake!"

CaptainShar
10-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Gisele says over the Mindlink (it's telepathy) "Ouch, sure."

She looks through the door with the steady light.

wizarddog
10-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Madoka begins a hodgepodge search in the chamber. She kicks over sacks of potatoes, linen sacks of rice, opens a chest full of salty smelling cloths, empties out a basket of rolls, some copper pieces fall with a clatter from a cloak but nothing immediately seems to be of use to her.

Gisele approaches the other chamber. Just outside the entrance she see the light source is a glowing ball of light suspended from the stone ceiling. Inside this chamber she see a long wooden table with paper charts scattered upon it. To the left is small writing desk with a chair. To the right a solid looking sea chest. Adjacent is a short two level shelf with books, and few small figurines of silver and gold color and small ornate box lined with silver.

On the table above she notices her and the other thieves daggers. Next to them is a long wooden stick with a small crystal at the end.

Blake continues to block the creatures passage. The creature grabs him by the shirt and tosses him over its head! Blake is thrown and collides with the metal door 10 feet behind (3 points of damage) and lands on his bottom. The creature makes a high shrill squeak as it moves hastily through the passageway after the other two thieves.

(actions)

CaptainShar
10-17-2009, 05:13 PM
"He's coming for us!" Gisele says over the Mindlink. "I'm going to use the last of my strength to summon another construct. This is not the way out. Try and get the creature to come after you instead of me so I can finish summoning. Hopefully we can search and find an actual exit once we're clear of the rat."

Starting her final summon. Extra HP and Improved Slam.

Borodeva
10-17-2009, 06:52 PM
"So I'm the bait? Sh*T!," I curse over the Mindlink. "How about you summon the construct to block it from eating me and I Sleep it?"

Madoka stands in the entrance to the passage with the flickering light, waiting for the wererat to appear, readying her action.

Readied action for when the rat appears in my sight:

"Over here, furball! I killed your brother! I lopped off his head with his own axe! His filthy blood still stains my clothes! Come and get me!," I shout and cackle with disdain, spitting on the floor.

As soon as the rat appears on the far side of the camp, I shout and run directly away from him 30' down the passage with the flickering light. What do I see?

If I see more enemies or something obviously dangerous I won't run so far.

rob5879
10-20-2009, 01:58 PM
"Where's a big cat when we need one?" Blake gets up and chases after the wererat.

wizarddog
10-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Gisel begins to summon another construct.

Madoka looks down the passageway. It is lit by torch light and is only 5 foot in width and 10 feet high. It seems to go quite a ways down to another torch giving light and further into darkness.

The wererat appears and hisses at Madoka. She runs down the passageway and the Rat follows; cursing in some squeaky voice "Murdering Thief!"

Blake gets up and arrives just outside the chamber as the rat follows Madoka down the passage. Near the entrance of the passage a beetle-like creature is taking form.

(Next turn, Gisels construct appears and can pursue)

Borodeva
10-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I keep running, double-move down the corridor, scanning my surroundings for any hint of a way out or of some useful equipment.

Over the Mindlink, "He's about to EAT me! Can you please block him off or something?! Corridor keeps going, I'm going straight ahead!"

CaptainShar
10-21-2009, 08:38 PM
I was summoning it between Madoka and the wererat, if that's possible.

Anyway, the construct charges and attacks the wererat with all it's got.

"Go, go!" Gisele shoos it along toward the rat.

She also grabs as much of the stuff in the room as she can - the daggers, the pointy stick with the gem, the box, etc. and shoves it into the folds of her robe. She'll keep one dagger handy as a weapon and use it to scoop the rest of the stuff into her robe.

rob5879
10-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Blake continues chasing the wererat, allowing the beetle to go first if it's in the way.

wizarddog
10-22-2009, 03:24 PM
The beetle appears between the Madoka and the rat. Blake moves up and flanks the creature with his mace. The Construct snaps at the rat snagging its ankle (5 pts damage) but the rat seems unharmed by the blow. It slashes its claws and tries to bite the construct but is seems unable to penetrate it's hide.

Blake tries to smack the creature on the head with the mace but it ducks and pieces of cave wall chip off from the mace blow. Blake notices the stars on the rats sash have a odd symbol of a lightning bolt on them.

Gisele grabs the daggers and lose materials she can stuff into her robe.

Madoka bolts down the passageway for 60 more feet and finds it opens up into a very large cave. She emerges on a ledge with a path that moves down to a cave grotto 60 feet below along the right wall. to the left is the ledge that plunges into the cavern lake (about 90 feet down) A large caravan ship seems to be in the makeshift cave port. She sees several humanoids moving about on board ship and on the dock. Further through the water she see moonlight coming through a cave opening into the bay. Floating lanterns encircle the ship as well as lanterns burning at various points down the pathway. About 40 feet down the path is another cave opening to the right. The sound of the surf make it difficult to hear anything except a few shouts.

(actions)

Borodeva
10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Drop prone inside the passageway as a free action, hopefully out of sight of the humanoids below, and cast a concealed (+10) Sleep on the rat. Will DC16. Sleep is a 10' burst so I make sure I target the rat and the construct, and NOT Blake!

Over the Mindlink:
"He's going down this time. Get ready to finish him off. If the rat drops, send Blake to me for the crossbow."

wizarddog
10-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Madoka drops down and casts her spell. The rat stops in its tracks and topples over. (Remember, once a creature is wounded [or hit] it wakes up. The last wererat you tried to coup de gra was unconcious....)

CaptainShar
10-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Gisele runs up to the fallen rat, dagger in hand - she switches to the longsword when she sees that it's down. She directs her construct to wait until everyone is ready to strike. She looks incredibly relieved. Over the mindlink, she says "My construct should have hurt it just now! I don't know what's wrong!"

Borodeva
10-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Madoka runs back to Gisele and Blake and the sleeping rat.

"We need silver weapons to hurt it! I just remembered. What's that box there?"

Takes the silver box and gets ready to bash the rat in the head.

"We need to all strike at the same time. Take this crossbow and bolts, Blake. Put one in his eye! On my mark, one, two, THREE!"

[We all attack at once--construct, Gisele with longsword, Blake with crossbow, and me with the silver box!]

wizarddog
10-23-2009, 03:06 PM
(DM I assume Blake will participate)

The three thieves and the construct smack simultaneously on the creature.

Bakes Arrow fires and hits it in the eye (16 points of damage)

Gisle slashes it with her longsword (5 points of damage) and does little harm.

The Construct, just as it is about to fade strikes at the neck (for 17 points of damage).

And Madoka bring down the small metal box on its head (for 2 points of silver damage.) giving it a large noggin.

Despite the severe wounds the creature's eyes flick open. It immediately slashes at Blake with it's claw but misses him entirely. Now on the ground, the thieves surround a severely wounded were rat.

(All players get a round before the creature).

Borodeva
10-24-2009, 12:46 AM
"B, turn invisible and shoot him in the other eye!"

Over the Mindlink:
"Gisele, flank with me and distract that rat so I can clobber him!"

[I]Aid Another [/B]to give me the additional +2 to hit. Then we wait for Blake to disappear and use his Invisibility to enable his Sudden Strike Point Blank Shot crossbow attack!]

"No quarter asked? NONE GIVEN!"

CaptainShar
10-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Gisele says, "Uh, uh, okay!" and jumps in front of the rat, waving the longsword.

(flanking and aid another)

rob5879
10-24-2009, 03:04 AM
"Sounds good!" Blake vanishes, loads the crossbow, looks for a good opening, and fires.

wizarddog
10-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Gisle attempt to distract the creature, but it seems unconcerned with her metal sword. It rolls to the side as Madoka tries to clobber it with the box. Its movement momentarily distracts the invisible Blake and his shot fires off in a random direction.

The beast rises from it's prone position. Gisel slashes it with her longsword but it bounces harmless off its hide. Madoka tries to clobber it again with the silver box but the creature knocks her arm to the side. It slashes at her with a claw but she ducks just in time. It red eyes are now only on Madoka: the wielder of the dreaded silver and the murder of his brother!

(actions!)

Borodeva
10-24-2009, 02:32 PM
"B, go invisible again and shoot it already, and this time don't miss!!!"

Over the Mindlink:
"Gisele, try to distract it again so I can clobber it! We've got to keep flanking it! Then 5-step back so Blake can get a clear shot!"

[Wait for Gisele to try to aid me to hit the rat, then clobber it with the silver box! Then 5-step back so Blake can get a perfect Sudden Strike Point Blank shot at the rat!]

"Soon I'll lop off your head as well, rat!" (my current AC:17)

rob5879
10-25-2009, 04:32 AM
Blake reloads and says something in Halfling, but when Gisele and Madoka don't seem to understand he tries an odd variation of Common. "Those ars-stay might be lectric-ay if you can atch-snay un-way."

He waits for the perfect opening, after Madoka attacks before turning invisible and firing again.

CaptainShar
10-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Gisele prepares to try the same tactic, breathing heavily, but now she'll give Blake a little more room to shoot.

(5-step away after doing the flank with Madoka)

wizarddog
10-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Gisele manages to tap her sword on the creatures face, causing it to turn in her direction as she steps back.
Madoka brings the box down on the creature but it knocks her arm away.
Blake fires again but the shot goes wild.
The creature tears into Madoka with its claws, two slashes of the long nails ship through her cloak harmlessly. But the creature moves suddenly forward and bites hard into her shoulder (2 points of damage). It's whisker grin is now full of blood and two puncher marks are in Madoka's throbbing shoulder.

"I will devour you...!" it squeaks.

(actions-you guys might want to change your strategy. Madoka is having a hell of a time trying to hit with a improvised weapon...)

wizarddog
10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Branabas Crutch makes his way up the stoneypassage to the prison. Being captured these past three months has been hell but the wily orc manage to convince his captors he was dumb as a nail so they gave his mundane tasks. he also has avoided meeting The Voice that is mentioned in the compound.

Not to say he dis not try to escape but the stinking wererat brothers Whiska and Snout were always able to track him down and the flea bitten bugbear was always taunting him. Bound by chain arm manacles, the weight made it difficult to swim out of the cave through the tide. So Crutch has been buying his time for an opportunity.


he recently heard three thieves Guild members have been captured. That one was a powerful wizard and the three had slew that nasty Whiska, making Snout very irritable. Convincing the drow first mate that he could deliver their next meal, Crutch made his way up the path with a tray of steaming hot soup.

Suddenly, Crutch hears the sounds of battle. As he approaches he sees an amazing sight! An elf and two humans are battling Snout. Snout is beat up pretty bad and the elf is trying to clobber him with a silver box. Clever, thought Crutch. Perhapse this is the chance he was looking for!

(actions--Crutch has joined the group. Crutch is unarmed save for the big bowl of stew and his manacles)

Borodeva
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM
"Somebody grab this rat so I can clobber him! Better yet, ALL of you grab him!"

[Delays action until the others have attempted to grapple the rat. If one of us successfully grapples the rat, the rest can join the grapple automatically. Then he will have to beat ALL our grapple checks to be free. Before the rat acts (regardless of whether anyone has succeeded on the grapple), I will try to clobber the rat again with the silver box.]

Bearfoot_Adam
10-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Barnabas approaches the melee, trying to keep behind Snout, hot stew in hand ready to pour it onto the head and face of the vermin that has caused him so much grief over the past months. (attack of opportunity?) His next action given the chance would be to use his manacles to strangle the rat.

Borodeva
10-27-2009, 02:41 PM
OOC: My shout was to grab (grapple in D&D terms) the rat. Strangling and hot stew won't work since we already know it has damage resistance that is only bypassed by silver. You may want to adjust your action, Adam.

"Grab him! Hold him so I can bash him!," I shout again angrily.

Bearfoot_Adam
10-27-2009, 03:00 PM
OOC Yeah I'm going for some other things. Like negatives due to pain. Doesn't damage just distracts him due to lots of pain or soup in the eye. The strangling will essentially be a grapple, with the added bonus of knocking him out (suffocation) again nothing to do with actually damaging him. DR doesn't necessarily apply. I'm going for some fort save stuff.

Borodeva
10-27-2009, 03:28 PM
None of the things you suggested are actually in the rules for D&D, but I guess we'll see what happens.

CaptainShar
10-27-2009, 03:37 PM
"I don't want to touch it!" Gisele yells.

But her mathematical mind takes over, and she gamely tries to pull the wererat's snout back from chewing on Madoka.

(Initiating Grapple)

Bearfoot_Adam
10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
OOC: Suffocation is in the rules. And I'm hoping for at least a dazed for the soup, maybe blind, but that is doubtful.

wizarddog
10-27-2009, 11:45 PM
(DM You can do anything you want; it does not have to be restricted in the written rules, only by reasonable application. Throwing hot soup on a creature is legit. The outcome is determined by DM. The only restriction is usually a roll of the dice determines success. If you want a specific outcome to happen, then you can indicate what rule you want to apply. For instance, "I want to distract the creature to aid Madoka"--that's an aid other. "I want it to look the other way", that's a bluff. "I want to fake it out", that a feint. The Creature may be immune to normal weapons but it's not immune to energy attacks. It may very well take non lethal heat damage from the soup. So the possibilities are endless. It just takes a bit of imagination...DON"T BE CONSTRANT BY THE WRITTEN RULES...they are only guidelines;)

Borodeva
10-28-2009, 01:44 AM
So what happens? Do we kill it and get all the loot? lol

wizarddog
10-29-2009, 03:56 PM
A bowl of hot soup flies over Madoka's head and splashes against the wall, the wererat ducking just in time.

Gisele rushes the creature and evades its claw as she tries to grapple it. She grabs its snout but it pulls itself off her with its strength.

Blake rushes it, avoiding its claw and grabs it by the leg. The creature pulls it leg out of his grasp.

Madoka holds position with the box still over her head.

The creature slashes a claw at Gisel cutting her deep (4 points of damage). Another claw slashes Blake stabbing him in the gut (8 points of damage) while another hideous bite is inflicted on Madoka (3 points damage).

The creature, bruised and angry hisses at the sight of Barnabas.

"You'll pay for thissss Orc!"

(action)

Borodeva
10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
My attack from last round was skipped (see post #90):
"Before the rat acts (regardless of whether anyone has succeeded on the grapple), I will try to clobber the rat again with the silver box."

New round action:

"Orc, bash him with this! You're big and strong! Someone aid or flank with him!"

[Start Total Defense as a standard action since I'm badly wounded. Current HP: 6, Current AC: 21. 5-step diagonally to Barnabus and hand him the silver box.]

Bearfoot_Adam
10-29-2009, 05:41 PM
(( I so did not want to enter this fight armed only with a jewelry box, but alas))

Taking the box in two hands, Barnabas raises his arms and charges in hoping to bring the box down on the rodents nose.

Borodeva
10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
(( I so did not want to enter this fight armed only with a jewelry box, but alas))

Taking the box in two hands, Barnabas raises his arms and charges in hoping to bring the box down on the rodents nose.

The box is the only weapon we have that does REAL DAMAGE to the rat as it is silver. Let's just say we'll be buying better equipment next time. We were level 1 when we got here for Pelor's sake!

Now who is going to flank with Barnabus and who is going to Aid Another on him so he can clobber this rat once and for all?

CaptainShar
10-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Gisele, now badly wounded, lifts her dagger to try and distract the rat. (Flanking with Barnabas, Aid Another)

rob5879
10-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Blake also aids Barnabas, and looks for an opportunity to snatch one of the rat's stars.

wizarddog
10-31-2009, 11:22 AM
After the failed grapple attempts, Madoka brings down the box on it's head only to have the creature easily dodge her swing.

Madoka weaves back and forth and hand the silver box to the orc.

Gisels can't seem to distract the creature with her puny dagger.

Barnabas signs and tries to clobber the creature with the box, as he brings down on the creature it grabs his arm and they struggle. Banabas manages to pull his arms out of the entangle.

During the confusion, Blake tries to snatch a star from the sash, he evades a claw as he attempts to pick it off but fails to get his fingers on the star.

The wererat hisses and and slashes at his enemies. A claw swishes through the air as Barnabas steps back, another claw slashes at Madoka who's cloak gets caught and torn. The creature then brings down his teeth on Barnabas' arm sinking them into his flesh (4 points damage).

The creature is badly damage, yet it fights on, Barnabas worries his opportunity has now turned into a final stand...

Bearfoot_Adam
11-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Barnabas raises the box as if to throw it at the wererat. "I hope you choke on this rodent!" At the last second he changes his grip to try to smack him with the silver case. (( This is a feint and then a melee attack. Bluff is not a good skill for me so if you can throw in an aid another on this it would be appreciated.))

CaptainShar
11-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Gisele (I'm proficient with the dagger, by the way) again tries to distract the rat by waving her dagger in its eye.

(Again aid another, flanking.)

(Just shoot it, Blake!)

Borodeva
11-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Total Defense again, current AC:21. 5-step diagonally away from the rat.

Recommend that Blake uses invisibility one last time and tries to shoot the rat with Sudden Strike.

wizarddog
11-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Barnabas distracts the rat by a fake throw, but it knows him too well and ignores his trick. The Rat seems to also ignore Giselle pestering. Madoka backs up defending herself from the blows of the rat.

Everyone shouts at Blake to shoot it. Blake turns invisibility, vanishing before everyone. But instead of a crossbow bolt fired, they watch as single star from the wererat's sash is plucked and disappears from view.

The wererat dashes past Barnabas and ponces on Madoka, knocking her to the floor. It brings it's great fangs to her face, saliva and blood dripping from its teeth.

"You will taste....del-"

But it's words are cut short.
Barnabas brings the silver box down upon the creatures head. A large crack is heard and a splattering of blood showers Madoka. The dumbstruck wererat collapses on top of her as the blood from the open skull wounds creates a puddle of blood soaking Madoka's cloak.

The chamber becomes silence once again...

Bearfoot_Adam
11-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Barnabas grabs the wererats shoulder and rolls it off of Madoka. the silence is broken as he then puts a knee on it's chest and screams as he repeatedly bashes the rats skull in with the box, releasing his months of anger and frustration onto his former captor. Each blow disfigures the creature, facial bones snap, the box makes a sucking sound as it makes contact with the pulp of meat, bone and brain.

Borodeva
11-05-2009, 04:25 PM
"Er, guess I distracted it for you...," Madoka says with an awkward smile as she slips out from under the rat, stands confidently and begins to wipe the blood from her cloak. "Well met, warrior. *extends hand* I suppose we're lucky you happened upon us when you did. I'm Ayukawa Madoka, but you can call me Madoka. Just don't call me Maddie." [pauses for the orc's response]

"Guys, we have to find our stuff and get out of here quick-like. Did you say there was a chest in the other room, Gisele?"

Bearfoot_Adam
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Barnabas drops the box and spits on the rat. "Eh?... (breathing heavy) Oh... Barnabas." The orc looks at Madoka's out stretched hand and then gestures to his own blood covered, chained arms. "Maybe, later" he replies while slipping his hands into the rats clothing looking for a set of keys.

Borodeva
11-06-2009, 02:06 PM
[I ask Gisele for a dagger and run to the chest and see if it is locked. If it is, I check for traps (+11) then use the improvised tool (-2) to take 20 to pick the lock. (+8 mod)]

Do I open it? And what is inside?

"Barnabus, how the hell do we get outta here? Gisele, go start putting on that armor we found!"

wizarddog
11-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Whatever trap and lock that was on the box has been now smashed up from the pounding it took on the wear rats head. The box was estimated as about 50gpv now its more like 10gp as the craftsmanship is ruined.


Madoka prys it open and finds two items that catch her attention.

The first is a tarnished silver ring. On examination, it has more than a dozen etchings of closed eyes. The second item is a crystal that seems to contain an incandescent green fluid.

Barnabas remembers that the bugbear Surko usually carried the keys to the cell and locks.

As far as escape, Barnabas has tried many of the passageways in the caves trying to find an exit. He never got very far because the rats usually tracked him down. He knows for certain that if he could swim through the main cave, he would emerge into the bay. His chains prevented him from doing it before.

But considering the group he is with is somewhat haggard, trying to fight their way past the other smugglers is very dangerous.

(DM: Barnabas knows more information; any questions the PC's have about the area, Barnabas has some knowledge...which I would reveal. They have to be direct questions. Something Barnabas simply does not know.)

Borodeva
11-06-2009, 03:32 PM
[I go to the room where Gisele found the wand and search the solid looking sea chest for traps then pick the lock using the dagger. Take it round-by-round until my roll succeeds.]

The sea chest is referenced in post #67 here:
"Gisele approaches the other chamber. Just outside the entrance she see the light source is a glowing ball of light suspended from the stone ceiling. Inside this chamber she see a long wooden table with paper charts scattered upon it. To the left is small writing desk with a chair. To the right a solid looking sea chest. Adjacent is a short two level shelf with books, and few small figurines of silver and gold color and small ornate box lined with silver."

"Blake, grab those stars and everyone let's get all the equipment we've found together in one place. I'll examine it for magical properties in a minute. Gisele, did you say you found a wand? Barnabus, if the bugbear doesn't have the keys, where would they be? Hey, did anyone actually SEARCH the bugbear???"

Bearfoot_Adam
11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
After searching the rat and setting aside any that isn't a set of keys Barnabas goes over to the Bugbear and gives him the same treatment. (minus the face bashing)

CaptainShar
11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Gisele puts on the armor and helps Madoka look through the two rooms. She'll try to put some bandages on anyone who needs it, too.

rob5879
11-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Blake collects the stars, hoping those lightning bolt symbols mean what he thinks they do. He joins Barnabas over the bugbear.

"Good job with the box there, Barnabas. I bet that rat never expected to be killed by a jewelry box. Do you know who else we might meet on the way to the main cave?"

Bearfoot_Adam
11-07-2009, 06:56 PM
"It got the job done. If the tides out we make a swim for it. Hard to say what we'll run into maybe (insert dm here). But we in no shape for another scrap.

wizarddog
11-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Barnabas, after surveying that the human jailer and bugbear are dead thinks about some of the others in the smugglers band. As he pulls the keys from the bugbear and frees himself he thinks about those he has met during his captivity.

He knows an halfing officer named "DeadEye" who was very skilled at the sling. He took out a bat some 60 feet away in the darkness.

A Dark elf wizard name "Vore" who is the 1st mate. The others know who he is.

"Captain Mortimere", a very capable leader. Though he remembers that he became captain only recently in the last six months. The Captain is very skilled in the rapier, cutting down a man in single draw of his weapon.

A strange green colored humanoid who everyone call "Flora". She has proven to be quite deadly with a longbow.

He knows of a large wolf that roams the area and once growled his name. Everyone calls the wolf "Fenris".

He counted about 6 other smugglers in the group who have been working on remodeling their ship The Seahag.
Recently some strange fish like creatures had been seen wandering the caves. They seem to have some sort of agreement with the smugglers. Banabas knows not what it is.

Gisele bandages whoever needs to stop bleeding. She sees that most are in bad shape and would benefit from a rest.

Madoka find the chest unlock. Inside she immediately see her ingredients pouch and much of the other thieves equipment in addition to some other equipment. While some appears to belong to Banabas, no one lays claim to a very find heavy shield in the shape of a leaf and made of strange wood. In the center of the shield is a fiery red crystal that is warm to the touch.

Blake takes the 5 stars from the dead wererat.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
((so do we need to worry about disease checks for the whole bit my a lycanthrope thing?))

After getting his shoulder tended to Barnabas equips himself. The weight of the chain shirt feels reassuring. After rubbing the feeling back into his wrists and hands he takes up his weapons sees if everyone is prepared and gestures towards the exit.

Borodeva
11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Madoka quickly grabs her spell component pouch, her bow and arrows, her thief dagger, her thieves' tools, and all her other gear. She applies her face black and dons her full thieves' gear.

"Lemme see that wand please, Gisele."

"I'm not much of a swimmer, and I think if there are all those enemies skulking around here, maybe we should try to find a way to hide and rest. Gisele and I are about out of spells. Barnabus, are you sure you don't know a way we can sneak out without swimming? It looks like there is a side passage down below, partway down the passage into the bay. Where does it lead?"

[Once everyone has piled all the gear that is not originally theirs in a circle, I cast Detect Magic on everything, including the wand and the new shield. What is magic, what strength of magic, and what schools of magic?]

wizarddog
11-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Barnabas concern from the rats bite are valid. He remembers seeing a man dying from the sickness the rat gave him. However, no one is showing symptoms as of yet.

Barnabas has trek through some of the passages, but never got very far before the bugbear or rats caught up with him. Madoka knows they must lead out because she was conscious when they brought her to the cell though she was blindfolded. Barnabas was brought bound through the ocean cave.

The side passage leads down to the docks and to several caves that house the kitchen, more barracks, and the building supplies for the smugglers ship. They all have exits that wind into various tunnels. Banrabas doesn't recall anything significant in those passages except one that lead to a large pool of clody water that he did not want to wade through.

With the equipment piled up, Madoka begins to cast her detect magic spell.
The shield does not radiant magic, but the red crystal in its center is a faint abjuration. The Incandescent crystal of Green fluid has a faint evocation aura. The ring has faint illusion. The 5 throwing stars radiate moderate evocation. Finally, the wand radiates faint Illusion of the glamour variety.

Borodeva
11-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Madoka grins widely, nodding and thinking.

"Hmm the shield itself isn't magical but that red crystal at its center radiates abjuration magic. Abjurations are protective spells. They create physical or magical barriers, negate magical or physical abilities, harm trespassers, or even banish the subject of the spell to another plane of existence. Representative spells include protection from evil, dispel magic, antimagic field, and banishment. This crystal of green fluid radiate evocation magic. Evocation spells manipulate energy or tap an unseen source of power to produce a desired end. In effect, they create something out of nothing. Many of these spells produce spectacular effects, and evocation spells can deal large amounts of damage. Representative spells include magic missile, fireball, and lightning bolt. The ring radiates illusion magic. Illusion spells deceive the senses or minds of others. They cause people to see things that are not there, not see things that are there, hear phantom noises, or remember things that never happened. Representative illusions include silent image, invisibility, and veil. Illusions come in five types: figments, glamers, patterns, phantasms, and shadows. The wand also radiates illusion magic. I bet I can use this wand. Oh, and Blake, those stars aren't magical so you might as well give them to me."



[B]"Ok, ok, those stars have the strongest magic of all. I wouldn't be surprised if they really did have a lightning effect. I think Gisele can use the shield, the ring might be good for me since I think I'm the sneakiest of us. I think anyone can use the green crystal (which I suspect you may throw at an enemy), and I can try to activate the wand right now just to see what it does. If I can't use it, I doubt any of us can. Watch out for a sec!"

[UMD to blindly activate the wand, which I point away from all party members! (mod of +6 trying for DC20) I know Silent Image and Color Spray and Ghost Sound and most other L0 and L1 illusions.]

CaptainShar
11-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Gisele whispers to Blake, Madoka, and Barnabas - "We need to rest, I agree with Barnabas - we're in no shape for another melee. Madoka, can you throw up an illusion of an empty room so we can rest in here? I'd rather not risk trying to get past everyone out in the cave just now."
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Gisele also hefts the shield, testing its weight.

wizarddog
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
The shield is very light in Giseles hands considering its size.

Madoka tries waving the wand, the tiny prism glows for a brief moment and fades. Then it explodes in a brilliant light of various colors, Madoka is blinded by the light and staggers about in a daze. She falls over clutching her eyes and moans. The others notice her fading in and out of visability while she is on the ground. After a few seconds, the pain subsides and she can see again. She doesnt believe it was suppose to do that...;)

Borodeva
11-10-2009, 03:58 PM
"Sh*T! Something's wrong with this wand! Maybe it goes with this ring?"

[Slips on the ring and tries to hide and sneak around, seeing what happens.]

[Shakes the wand and tries to blindly activate it again. Repeat d20+6 vs. DC20.]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha

CaptainShar
11-10-2009, 08:42 PM
"Madoka, quit making all that noise! Can you just cast a nice quiet illusion so we can recover and get out of here tomorrow?"

Gisele stalks over to the bouncy elf and grabs the wand before she can shake it again.

Borodeva
11-11-2009, 12:26 AM
"This IS supposed to be a quiet illusion! And no, all my magic requires concentration so we won't be able to rest under cover of illusion! Think of another way."

[Pulls her arm loose and continues trying to blindly activate the wand.]

wizarddog
11-11-2009, 01:37 AM
The wand goes off again but the prism just sputters a few sparks.

Barnabas noticed that Madoka, while she was wearing the ring and moving into the shadows seem to blend onto them extremely well. If he had not been observing her, she might have actually been hiding in that shadow even through his darkvision! How odd...

Borodeva
11-11-2009, 02:12 AM
"Do you see me now? Do you hear me now? Pffffft! This wand sucks! How are we gonna rest around here? Anyone know what time of day it is? Barnabus? Maybe we can stash ourselves in a closet or something and get some rest? Anyone else got any ideas? Crap, they're going to notice us missing long before we can sleep though. Are there any passages we missed on the way back to the jail? I don't think so, which means our only possible escape is ahead, either through the bay or down the passage. Thoughts?"

Bearfoot_Adam
11-11-2009, 04:25 PM
"This time it works. You are part of the shadows now.... or it is that ring maybe. But you are right this is not a place to rest Gisele."

((are the docks close enough to our location to make a run for it?))

wizarddog
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Barnabas knows that the cavern system they are in is above the dock area. There are many passages before you reach the docks. No more exits are in this junction your currently in. The trick is finding the exit. Barnabas just never had a chance when he was being tracked. It did not take long for the smugglers to realize he had disappeared.

CaptainShar
11-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Gisele grits her teeth.

"Let's try to find the safest, least noticeable route out of here. I don't want to end up in that cell again."

Looking carefully out the passageway to scope out the area.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-12-2009, 01:27 AM
"The two that could smell me out are dead. I say we stay quiet and we get out of here."

Borodeva
11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
"I can take point; I'm the sneakiest. Barnabus, I'll need you to watch my back. Blake, cover me with your bow or those stars. Gisele, take that crossbow if you need it. I'm not much of a fighter and I'm nearly out of magic. I say we sneak forward and check out the passages on the way down towards the docks. I think the docks themselves are too dangerous since I saw a lot of humanoids down there. Somewhere in the passages must be a way out. I'm sure the wizard doesn't always take the ship and I doubt he swims. Let's go, everyone follow behind me by a bit. I'll use the standard guild hand signals to signal you."

[Wearing the ring, with the wand in her belt, and carrying her bow at the ready, Madoka begins to sneak off down the corridor.]

wizarddog
11-13-2009, 12:22 AM
As Madoka leads the group down the passageway she spots that another smaller ship has docked beside the merchant vessel. It is a dark colored pinnace with black sails. Gisel could have sworn it wasn't there when she look down the passage moments ago. Several cloaked figures have disembarked and are meeting with several smugglers on the dock.

Madoka easily finds a passageway to her right that leads into a dark cave. Several feet further is a cave entrance that has light coming from it. More caves entrances are seen but they bring the group closer to the docks.

Barnabas recognizes the first cave as a passage he took that lead him to the pool of water. The second cave is the makeshift kitchen. Barnabas usually is left to prepare meals in the cave. The few times he tried to mess with the smugglers food landed him several black eyes. The Bugbear and wererats could always smell something odd with the food and the Smuggler captain usually could see through Barnabas's lies. In any case there is no cavern leading out of the kitchen.

Borodeva
11-14-2009, 01:29 PM
[Stopping for a moment to signal the group to quietly approach her,]

"Psst, I really don't think we want to get too close to the docks, but I'm intrigued by this dark pinnace. If I wasn't so wounded or had a few spells to throw I might say we try to sneak down and see what's happening. I think our best bet right now is to find the exit and get outta here though. We can always come back when we're ready. There are some more caves up ahead but they bring us closer to the docks. I don't think we have a choice. Let's go!"

[Leads the group on, sneaking to investigate the cave entrances closer to the docks.]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-14-2009, 07:29 PM
"So let's quit our yappin and go"

CaptainShar
11-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Gisele keeps a dagger in her sleeve and the crossbow at the ready, following Madoka quietly.

wizarddog
11-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Madoka knows that the first two caves (as mentioned) could easily be entered without being seen. The caves ahead will expose them slighly and they would have to be quick.
The next three ahead Barnabas remembers as a sleeping quarters, the captains cave and a widing passageway that went on for a long time before he was caught. There was also a passage out of the sleeping quarters but he never got a chance to take it. Usually someone was always in the sleeping quarters.

Borodeva
11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
"Hmm let's check this first cave with the water pool. We can sneak in easily. Do you know if it's fresh or salt water, Barnabus? Maybe it connects to a way out if we swim? We'd better hurry, they'll find us gone soon enough!"

[Leads group sneakily to the first cave. I will taste the water to see if it is salt or fresh, and carefully Search the pool (+11 mod).]

wizarddog
11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
The passageway twist and turns for several meters, it appears to not be transversed very often. After 15 minutes, the group reaches the small 10x10 cave and the cloudy pool.

Madoka tastes the water is full of minerals but not salty. Despite it being apparently stagnant it also appears to be quite fresh.

Borodeva
11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
"Hmm, this water looks like it should be stagnant, but it tastes fresh. Can anyone swim down this pool and see where the water is coming from? Maybe there's a way out? Barnabus, you look like you might be a good swimmer."

[waits to see if anyone volunteers to take a dip.]

CaptainShar
11-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Gisele will help Madoka in looking for anything useful.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
"Barnabus swim like a rock dipped in lead. Me a city orc, and a plains orc before that. Though I'll hold your coat while you go down the spooky pool."

Borodeva
11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
"Nonsense, you dolt! I bet if you take off that armor you swim better than any of us!"

OOC: You have a +4 mod just from STR alone. The rest of us are weaklings.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
"I don't put my head under water. Who knows where that goes."

Borodeva
11-17-2009, 07:28 PM
[walks to a corner and bangs her head against the wall hard, hoping to cause a fatal brain bleed...]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-17-2009, 10:56 PM
((can we get to the city from the docks or are these docks located in the cave system?))

wizarddog
11-18-2009, 09:03 AM
(Barnabas belives the cave system they are in is somewhere outside the bay where the city docks are located. That could be over a mile away. The cave docks were created by the smugglers or maybe previous inhabitants.)

Barnabas may have a legitmate reason not wanting to dive into water, let alone turning his back with a bunch of people he just met. However, he may not have a choice...

Bearfoot_Adam
11-18-2009, 10:24 AM
"Beside, think about it dis way. You want me with my big strong lungs to go in there and say it a good way just to have you give out half way. Best the weakest try that way we know it a way out for all of us. What if we get attacked. I the best person to fight them off while you swim and you know it. Hah, think on that. Plus if you get eaten by some fish then that ain't me."

rob5879
11-19-2009, 01:42 AM
"Barnabas has a point, if this is a way out, it has to be one we can all manage."

Blake feels the water and if it's not too cold, and if there's a waterproof light source available, he'll offer to scout out the pool.

wizarddog
11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Blake tests the water and finds it quite cold. It would be a chilly swim.

The only waterproof items that give off light would be from your own equipment (i.e ever-burning torch, sun-rod, etc.). You did hear that orcs have darkvison.

Blake awaits any offers of light source.

CaptainShar
11-20-2009, 11:02 PM
(And there were explicitly no magic items on the equipment allowed at 1st level...)

Gisele says to Barnabas, "But you can see a way out, can't you? At least let us know what we're dealing with. Please."

Bearfoot_Adam
11-21-2009, 01:20 AM
"You see a orc who can't swim, don't like puttin his head under water, and don't like water in his eyes. Tie a rope around Blake. Cast a glowy thing to follow him you tug twice to be pulled back, tug three times to say you found a way out. Den tie it off and we just follow rope out to safety. You not getting that I don't like water here. Would rather rest and hide den go swimmin blind like in some cave. Only way I do that is we see a bunch of swords comin through these here tunnels!"

rob5879
11-22-2009, 01:14 PM
"If this is a way out, it seems like it's not for us. It might even be an entrance for the fish people. We should probably try our luck with the long tunnel Barnabas wasn't able to fully explore before. If the wererats came after him, that could mean he was on the right track."

Borodeva
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM
"We're THIEVES! We're supposed to explore places and take things that don't belong to us. And Orcs have darkvision you freakin' coward! And even farm animals bathe!"

[shakes her head in disgust at the dry orc.]

[Ties a rope to her waist and leaves the coil with Blake. Casts Dancing Lights in the water pool 20' down to make underwater torches, then Searches (+11) around the top 20' of the pool, then swims down 20' and moves the lights to the 20-40' range and searches again, repeating until she either finds something of interest, runs out of breath and has to surface, or reaches the 105' range limit of the spell.]

wizarddog
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
The cold water is a shock to Madoka, but she dives her head under.

Being quite shallow she does find that a small ahead passage through the dark murky water that she can basically walk through. As she moves through it the cold increases, stinging her face and body. Passing only 8 feet through the passage she find the surface of the water is covered in thin layer of ice, as if frozen over. She believes it can be broken quite easily while the cold water numbs her body.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-22-2009, 11:09 PM
As Madoka jumps into the pool Barnbas grabs the rope giving slack when needed feeling for the signal tugs in case she needs to be pulled out in a hurry. After some pondering he states quite clearly."Barnabas no thief. I am in debt collection. That is not stealing"

CaptainShar
11-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Gisele looks on, cursing her uselessness without any mental power left.

Borodeva
11-23-2009, 03:00 PM
The cold water is a shock to Madoka, but she dives her head under.

Being quite shallow she does find that a small ahead passage through the dark murky water that she can basically walk through. As she moves through it the cold increases, stinging her face and body. Passing only 8 feet through the passage she find the surface of the water is covered in thin layer of ice, as if frozen over. She believes it can be broken quite easily while the cold water numbs her body.

I quickly use the pommel of my dagger to break through the ice so I can pop my head up and see what lies beyond. I move the Dancing Lights ahead to provide light. What do I see?

wizarddog
11-24-2009, 03:07 AM
A swift click of her dagger, and Madoka breaks the ice above her.

She rises her head above the water to access the next chamber. The air is cold and stings her wet face and hair. From her lights she see it opens in a cavern some 20'x20'. A light frost covers the cavern walls and frozen icicles hang from the ceiling. Further forward she see a small stone table. Surrounding the table looks to be the remains of a campsite, covered in frost. Huddled against the wall looks to be a humanoid, bundled, covered in frost and quite still. Beyond lies a tunnel that goes into the darkness.

CaptainShar
11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Gisele readies an action to attack any of their captors who come into the cave, with her dagger.

Borodeva
11-24-2009, 03:22 PM
[Wade back to the others and tell them about the new area.]

"Let's go check it out. It's better than hanging around here waiting to get caught again."

[Moves Dancing Lights to the camp area. Goes and searches the campsite area, and especially the humanoid for signs of life, traps, loot, etc.]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-24-2009, 05:44 PM
"Well if it is only 8 feet.... and I can pull myself along this rope I guess I can do this.... maybe." Barnabas climbs into the pool clearly nervous. The weight of his weapons and chain shirt are pulling him down. After taking a few more breaths he submerges and, eye's still closed, starts pulling on the rope. His back scrapes along the roof of the tunnel, breaks through the surface and gets out of the pool as quickly as possible. After emerging from the pool Barnabas takes off his armor not wanting it to freeze to his skin and with a shiver goes over to Madoka looking at the campsite for a way to start a fire and dry off.

CaptainShar
11-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Gisele shuts her eyes and gets in the pool, reflecting that the cold water should at least be good for the cuts they suffered earlier. She comes out the other side and says to Madoka,

"Well, what a lovely spot this is!" rather sarcastically, as she shivers.

rob5879
11-25-2009, 06:02 AM
Blake attempts to disguise their tracks, so that it looks like they didn't all dive into the pool, before getting in and swimming to the icy cavern.

Borodeva
11-25-2009, 02:11 PM
"Now, the question is... Can we hide here and rest and try to heal up and refresh our powers? We're going to need them. Barnabus, you did say it didn't seem like the pirates really came this way, right? And the pool looked undisturbed when I jumped in. Hehe."

DM question: Is it so cold that we couldn't rest here? Or does it look like we could make a tiny fire without alerting the enemy with the smoke?

[try to make a small camp and rest.]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-25-2009, 02:24 PM
((ooc: Is this a naturally occurring cold. I got the impression that something came in here with an ice attack since the connecting cave wasn't like this.))

wizarddog
11-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Barnabas finds the remnants of wood and campsite materials covered in frost, what fire may have been burning here long ago has spent its fuel. Amongst the materials are two knapsacks with various dungeon delving equipment, rusted and with covering of frost.

The Table looks to be made of stone but is covered in a frost as well. Small objects have been left on it. One looks to be a magnifying glass, glass broken out, another is a candle burnt halfway, the final is a small book.

In addition, their is what appears to be a humanoid form on the far wall, frozen to the spot.

The Cave is quite cold, and being wet makes it more unbearable. Gisele is concerned about their wet clothing. Blake believes they need to find a source of heat. While Madoka knows much about nature, how to survive outside of a warm bed is not her speciality. The orc seems no wiser on surviving such conditions.

Barnabas is pretty sure none of the smugglers are aware of this area. It was never mentioned. In a way, it looks secure. It is an enigma why this cave is so cold and covered in frost...

Borodeva
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
"This is curious. This cave seems oddly cold. And the frost has no apparent source. Let's clear the frost and search around here. No one light a flame yet, I have an idea."

[Knowledge checks to see if I've heard of anything that could explain the strange cold and frost, and 20-search the whole area (+11 mod) including the knapsacks, table, and the humanoid itself once the frost is cleared away.]

"If anyone sees anything we can burn for a fire, grab it, but DON'T light it yet!"

CaptainShar
11-28-2009, 03:32 AM
Gisele helps with the looking around; she picks up the book and flips through it. If nothing is found to warm the place up, she suggests that they strip out of their wet outer garments and huddle together in a group; that'll get rid of the water chill and help them reinforce what heat they have.

wizarddog
11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
A search is conducted in the area. Blake discovers frozen over rations in the packs, wasted away by neglect, bits of tools for digging also are about the campsite, most are rusted to uselessness. He does discover wrapped in an oilskin several fine thieves picks of high quality.

Barnabas searches the campsite to discover bits of pottery and cutlery that has decayed. Digging further he finds a fine dagger with a ornate scabbard. The blade, once he wipes the frost gleams a fine silver, unaffected by the elements thanks to its sheaf.

Gisele thumbs through the small book, the pages crumble on the corners and she finds it is some sort of journal, though the language at first glance looks incomprehensible. As she brushes away frost from the table she see that their are rune covering the table, some look familiar to side illustrations in the book.

The form in the corner appears to be a human, frozen over and long since perished as the skin has rotted away from frostbite and decomposition. The form clutches its chest and Madoka realizes that the form must have been thrown across the room and slammed against the wall. It is dressed it what appears to be some priestly black robes.

The cold does seem unnatural but Madoka cannot think of any spell that could cause it to linger except by powerful magic or divine intervention.

Borodeva
11-30-2009, 08:06 PM
"Hmmm, I don't like all this ice. It's unnatural. Let's start a fire and try to rest here. Barnabus, why don't you go to the kitchen and get us some wood. You won't look out of place there. Just ask for more stew and steal some wood while you're there. You can still wander these caves without setting off an alarm if you do it fast before they find the dead rat and the jailbreak. Go! Go!! If you can get us wood, I have oil and a flint and steel. If we can get a fire going, we can rest and Gisele and I can regain all our magical powers. If you bring us wood, we'll get you out safely with our magic. COUNT ON IT! Will you do it? The rest of you, let's gather up this equipment and loot in case we need to make a hasty exit!"

[Cast Read Magic on the Journal and try to read it. Failing that, use Knowledge Arcana or Spellcraft to try to make some sense out of it.]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
"I don't want to get wet again, I will, but besides that I don't know if there is a way to keep the wood dry when I bring it back. You got an idea?"

Borodeva
11-30-2009, 11:44 PM
"Wet wood should still burn as long as it only gets a quick dip in the water. I've got oil and a flint and steel and we can even use a piece of my cloak for tinder if we must. I think if you wrap the wood in your cloak, that should keep some of the water out during the quick dip to get back here. Sound reasonable?"

Bearfoot_Adam
12-01-2009, 03:20 PM
"Bad idea to go alone, I run into anything could use the help. I run into anything too much there is a person to go back through to let you know I ain't commin back. You mojo folks won't be any good though." Barnabas leaves his sword and takes the light mace and dagger and goes towards the water hole."Not gonna mention this plan full of holes. Wait guess I did"

CaptainShar
12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
"You're the scarediest orc I've ever met," Gisele mumbles almost under her breath. She almost forgets the cold in her interest over the new runes. (Any applicable knowledge skills going into play here.)

Bearfoot_Adam
12-03-2009, 02:38 AM
"These are the the dumbest mojo workers Barnabas ever seen." [[ ;) ]]Barnabas mutters under his breath as he lowers himself into the pool. Were they not guild members he would leave them to freeze in this cave and find his own way out. He couldn't wait to get back to the guild where the people he usually works with comes up with proper plans. Usually the kind that involve him hitting unarmed people in the knees because they are as bad at gambling as his companions are at planning. Before he dips under water with dagger, mace, and chains, without armor he says "Well if I not back in a half hour then go on without Barnabas. Since there won't be any one to tell you if I'm coming you might want to keep walking to avoid freezing here."

wizarddog
12-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Madoka finds no magical writings in the Journal, however, she does recognize some magical symbols related to conjuration. She can't decipher what they actually do nor can she understand the language written in the Journal but she recognizes that the alphabet is of an old elven script.

Gisel tries to examines the journal but since she has no expertise in any field of knowledge, her common experience reveals nothing.(DM what languages does Gisel speak?)

Barnabas swims through the underwater passage, bearing the cold and emerging back into the cave they entered from. Moving back through the passage he gets to about 50 feet from the mouth where he hears voices echoing through the cavern passage.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
If the voices are getting closer I'll find a place to hide. Can I make out what they are saying?

wizarddog
12-04-2009, 03:21 PM
The voices have not moved from their position. As Barnabas creeps closer he hears the conversation. he recognizes one as the Captain of the smugglers... the other is deep and raspy, yet the twinge of its sound catches Barbabas's attention...somewhat mesmerizing.

VOICE:"...and yet you have allowed these intruders to slay your brethren. I beginning to lose my confidence in you Mortimer. Where Is that spark of ambition that you once showed me?"

MORTIMERE: "These are no mere thieves! I check this source of yours from the Guild. They don't know who they are. They certainly did not go through the ranks of the footpads and rogues."

VOICE: "They only appear that way is because you are incompetent, Mortimer. You had them at your grasp but now they slip away into the darkness.Stop trying to solve your problems with blades. Use your brain for once."

MORTIMERE: "But the charts...they took the charts..."

VOICE: "I doubt they are aware of your plan, even that stupid orc you foolishly kept around is too dim witted to recognize it. But it will not matter either way. If they decide to foolishly return, the trap I laid out for them will be sufficient to take care of them. In the meanwhile, you shall set sail immediately."

The voices start to fade, they seem to be walking out of range...

MORTIMERE: "But the vessel, she is not ready..."

VOICE: "You can make the finishing touches once you are at sea. The Nymph's Kiss is but a few days away. Your Saughauin allies grow weary. As well as the Illumina...."

The voices fade out and then silence.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
All good information to have but Barnabas will stay put till he here's foot steps getting louder or quieter.

CaptainShar
12-05-2009, 07:34 PM
In the cave, Gisele takes off her wet outer cloak and walks around briskly rubbing her arms together.

(No knowledge skills; she does have Psicraft, which depending on how you use psionics, can also be used to identify arcane and divine magical effects and writings.)

wizarddog
12-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Barnabas occasionally hears the sounds of footsteps echoing in the caverns beyond.

[DM: I do play with magic/psionic transparency for powers. Normally, I allow psi craft to replace spell-craft if there was no other PC with those skills. Madoka, however, does have them and takes precedent in that matter. Gisele will be the expert if she should encounter anything psionic. If she decides to take spellcraft ranks then I will consider giving her a synergy bonus on Spellcraft and Knowledge Divine (because she is an Ardent) of +2 if she has 5 or more ranks in psicraft.]

Bearfoot_Adam
12-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Being ever cautious Barnabas makes his way to the kitchen.

wizarddog
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
As Barnabas moves towards the exit of this cave he see a large bulky form shuffling at the entrance. It has the build of a bugbear and looks very familiar. It sways back and forth but moves very little from the cave mouth.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-08-2009, 01:45 PM
How familiar? is this another prisoner or a guard who likes to drink? What am I dealing with?

wizarddog
12-08-2009, 03:42 PM
It looks like the Bugbear Prison guard the other thieves killed and looted during their escape.

Borodeva
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
OOC: Awww crap! Looks like someone is Animating Dead!

[Madoka continues to gather scraps of anything that might burn and clearing away frost, making a spot for a campfire.]

"Help me clear away all the frost and gather up bits of anything that will burn. If that orc can bring us some proper wood and food, I think we can rest here. Then once we regain our powers I say we get the hell out of here!"

Bearfoot_Adam
12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
((well thts not good. As far as I know being wounded unarmored and poorly armed what are my chances here?))

CaptainShar
12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Gisele helps gather things that might burn, particularly pieces of the wooden table and bits of clothing from the corpse.

"Out of here sounds like an excellent plan."

(All right.)

Borodeva
12-10-2009, 12:25 AM
OOC: Barnabus, I think you can take a Bugbear zombie, assuming that's what it is and you get the jump on it. You have 18 strength and a bastard sword IIRC. If you can kill it and get to the kitchen to get us some food and wood, we'll be in great shape to rest and regain spells and escape. If you turn back, we'll have to make a break for it with no spells and many of us more than half-wounded. We're counting on you.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-10-2009, 03:16 PM
OOC: on post 181 I removed my armor and left behind my bastard sword as it is big and draws attention, since I was trying to be incognito. I have a lt. mace and a silver dagger with no armor on. The concern is valid. Oh well. (And Boro I have played many a D&D and am familiar with the rules. I would prefer the opportunity to play my character without all of the side commentary.)

Barnabus takes his weapons and delivers a blow and a slash to the unsuspecting bugbear undead

wizarddog
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Giselle finds the table to be made completely of stone, and seems to have been carved out of the very cavern floor. The group is finding very little in the way of kindling in this chamber to start a fire. All items from the backpack are covered in frost and are not easily burned. The chill air and their wetness (save those that stripped) begins to give them all shivers.

(OCC: I should note that Madoka has not made an effort to read the table with her Read Magic.)

Barnabas creeps up to the Zombie creature, just as he is about to slam it with his mace, his foot kicks a pebble and the zombie swings around facing him. Barnabas immediately slams his mace on the creature's head with a mighty crush. It's head sinks deep into its torso. His dagger digs deep into the chest of the creature. Barnabas ducks just in time as its arm comes down on him smashing against the cavern wall. Bits of stone fly in his face. While his blows would have brought down a average man, this creature seems to be tougher.

Borodeva
12-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Then I shall attempt to Read Magic on the table itself. I didn't realize the table itself had runes, too. Can I make anything out on the table?

I will also strip off my wet cloak and try to rub myself to get the blood flowing.

To Adam: You asked "what are my chances" in a public forum and I answered in the public forum that "you can probably take the bugbear zombie." If you have a problem with that, grow a set.

wizarddog
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM
(DM: Lets try to show a little courtesy in this forum please. If a player wishes to make choices, they should be respected. Don't confuse character personality with player personality. You have an Out of Character Forum to voice concerns about play style. There is no right or wrong answer in D&D only different ways to approach a problem.)

Madoka examines the runes on the table and find they indeed are magical. One immediately she recognizes is a ward. The second appears to be some sort of summoning spell. It looks quite complex and she has a very uneasy feeling about it. For one thing, it appears to require blood for one of its components. Additional non magical runes are in an eleven script similar to that in the book.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Barnabas grits his teeth at his clumsiness. Every second in this fight increases his chances of discovery and recapture. Thankfully this creature is slow. He needs to end this now. He redoubles his effot and takes two more swings.

wizarddog
12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Barnabas brings his mace down but the foul creature knocks it away with its flaying arms. Barnabas follows up with his dagger, stabbing it squarely in the chest. He pulls it out with a broad stroke and bits of morbid flesh flies off. The creature however presses forward and slams its power fist into Barnabas's stomach (5 points of damage) and continues to claw at him.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Fully committed Barnabas continues the attack accepting the blow with a grunt.

wizarddog
12-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Another blow to the head of the creature and it sinks further into its torso. Barnabas follows with a slash of his dagger and moire flesh flies off. Despite its head being crushes the corpse flails its powerful arms. A blow to Barnabas' stomach, nearly knocks the wind out of him (7 points of damage) and the creature continues to attack.

CaptainShar
12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
"I hope Barnabas is okay, he's been gone for a while. Maybe I should go drag him back here."

Bearfoot_Adam
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Barnabas thinks to himself gee maybe an bugbear zombie is not something I should handle myself when I have no armor and small weapons. Barnabas will have words with the others when he returns... if he returns. I swing again.

wizarddog
12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Barnabas brings his mace down again but the creatures arms easy deflect the blow. His dagger digs deep into the monster's eye, normally blinding the average human, but this creature merely shrugs. The creature clobbers Barnabas again (8 hit points).

Gisel begins to brave the ice cold water, noting Madoka's interest in the table and Blake's eye on the other passage.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
one more time

wizarddog
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Barnabas brings his mace around again. A sharp crack and the bugbears head slumps to the side. Barnabas jabs the other eye with his dagger. Flesh flies about and the zombie staggers, but remains standing. It flails its arms about smacking Barnabas across the face, but the blows are not as deadly as they once were. (4 hit points damage).

Gisel emerges from the pool and moves down the passage. She hears sounds of grunts, moans, and the other sounds of a fight ahead.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-16-2009, 12:16 PM
play it again sam

wizarddog
12-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Barnabas, hearing the approach of someone behind him, swings his mace and smacks the head on the other side. It flops off behind the creature, with his dagger he severs the head completely off by cutting its skin. The creature staggers and falls to the ground twitching. Greenish gas escapes its body as it ceases twitching.

Barnabas swings around to to see the soaked body of Gisel appearing through the passageway. Gisel see a badly bruised orc standing over the remains of a very familiar bugbear.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Between gasps "They.....are....raising the dead..... They know we escaped."

CaptainShar
12-17-2009, 09:58 PM
"Do they know we went through the pool? What did you hear?"

Gisele also looks at his cuts and tears a piece of her fine (if wet) cloak to bandage them and stop the bleeding.

She also starts grabbing some kindling and whatever food is lying out in the kitchen.

wizarddog
12-17-2009, 11:57 PM
As Gisel and Barnabas exit the cave and head to the kitchen they see a peculiar sight below them from the ledge. The Black schooner, with sails unfurled moves slowly and before their eyes fades away!

The other ship is busily being set for sail, the many smugglers are loading the ship with final supplies and the anchor is starting to be raised. Apparently, it is about to leave.

Further down the pathway Barnabas notices another figure, some 90 feet down the ledge passage towards the dock, swaying as it stands. It appears humanoid in shape.

The kitchen is but a few more feet from the cavern entrance they both now occupy.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-18-2009, 01:05 PM
"They don't know nothin bout the cave. Of all that would come back I didn't expect you. We should hurry while they load the ship. Dere is anudder dead one down there.

CaptainShar
12-19-2009, 01:55 PM
"Yeah, well, I don't give up on folks, even scaredy-cat orcs. If you're okay, let's grab this stuff and get out of here."

The kalashtar starts heading back to the pool with her loot.

Borodeva
12-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Did they reach the kitchen and get food and wood? It was unclear, but that was the goal.

[Madoka looks up from the table and notices Gisele is now also gone. Seeing Barnabus' huge sword and armor left behind, she frowns and picks up the warrior's equipment. She then wades back through the cold pool and emerges on the other side, hopefully spotting some sign of the the kalashtar and orc.]

wizarddog
12-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Madoka runs into a disgusted Gisel as she emerges from the pool.

Barnabas makes way to the kitchen and finds most of the supplies have been rifled through, apparently supplying the ship. He finds where the extra wood is stored easily enough. peaking around the corner he still see the swaying humanoid form at the lower end of the passageway.

The anchor rises on the ship and oars can be seen pushing it towards the mouth of the sea cave. There appears to be no others left on the dock.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-20-2009, 03:13 PM
In order to better protect the wood from the soaking it is about to recieve I'm looking for some lard or grease to coat the fuel. Also any oil might come in handy.

CaptainShar
12-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Gisele whispers,

"We got the stuff, Madoka, come hide again,"

and dives into the pool again with her supplies wrapped in the cloak.

Borodeva
12-21-2009, 01:01 PM
"Great, let's rest and get outta here! I have a bad feeling about this table. I think I know what happened here, and it's not good. I'll tell you guys inside."

[Madoka helps Gisele and bundles up some wood in her cloak as well, then swims back inside the cold cave.]

wizarddog
12-21-2009, 03:34 PM
The thieves emerge back into the frost cover cave. A fire is built and their soaked belongs are left to dry. After eating foodstuff Barnabas managed to liberate from the kitchen the need for sleep overwhelms the group. [Need to decide you stands watch and Madoka can make decide what she wants to tell the rest of the group.]

Gisel dries out her equipment and finds she had grabbed some charts from the table when she pushed the daggers and other items into her sack. They appear to be ship designs and a navigation chart.

Borodeva
12-21-2009, 09:41 PM
[Madoka will search the frozen corpse and the frozen cave area one last time for any holy symbol or religious clothes or artifacts that she can use to identify the deity of the dead priest. 20 search, +11 mod.]

"I believe this table and book are used for summoning - foul summoning that uses blood as part of the ritual. There are also symbols of binding here. It looks like this priest here summoned a fearsome cold creature and was unable to control it. It presumably used its frosty breath to kill him and cover this entire area in frost. In the morning I can use my magic to read the journal. If it's all the same to the rest of you, I'd like the last watch once I regain my magic."

[Looking Barnabus straight in the eye:]
"Perhaps I was wrong about you, orc... Good night."

CaptainShar
12-22-2009, 12:21 PM
"I'll take first watch. You guys bundle up and let me take a look at your cuts, here."

Gisele patches up everyone as best as possible, then spends her watch studying the charts and plans.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-22-2009, 03:09 PM
"Barnabas never doubt himself a moment. Just the wisdom of others. Get some rest we get out of here in da morning."

((Second watch))

wizarddog
12-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Madoka competes a second search of the body and area but finds nothing in way of holy symbols. She collapse next to the fire and begins her meditation.
[she need only trance for 4 but needs the extra 4 to regain spells]

Gisele looks over the charts. Based on her background she can identify much of the information. She find the navigation chart is situated some two miles from the bay near the city. Marks have been drawn on it indicating time and destination. But considering the date and when the ship had left, she assumes they may have left earlier than they were planning. The second plans detail a ship. Gisel recognizes the design as similar to one the thieves guild employ. It contains many secret holds in a otherwise typical merchant vessel. How these smugglers got a hold what should be a well kept guild secret is unknown.

She finally closes her eyes and sleeps, but no dreams come to her.

Barnabas watches the fire intently as his companions rest. Soon, just as he is about to nod off, Gisel rises and takes the next watch.

[The group takes a rest of 12. Everyone gets back their level in hit points +2 thanks to Gisele cleaning of the wounds]

End Chapter Three (look for rewards)