PDA

View Full Version : partnership with WOTC

yukonhorror
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
now that WOTC has a pretty fancy new community, and Farcaster is rubbing elbows with some of the D&D elite, I am suggesting we partner up with WOTC community like we did for obsidian portal in terms of new games.

They seem to have so many advertisements for new games (not in my area :( ), but not ones that are cross-listed between this site and theirs. Just a thought.

Yes it is only WOTC products, but I assume the majority of members on this site play some WOTC product or would like to.

Etarnon
09-30-2009, 12:03 AM
I think we got too many fans of older editions or gasp, non-D&D for WOTC to be able to stand us.

But I'm not in charge here, or at WOTC.

mnemenoi
09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
I would agree with Etarnon, WOTC does not support nor approve of anything done for previous editions and frowns upon anything associated with them. They prefer to maintain control of the communities and associates in regard to content. This is of course my own opinion, but I would be against any such merging. This is of course Farcaster's site though and I'm certain he is much more knowledgeable about the ins and outs then I.

My reason for finding and frequenting the site is its neutrality and support of previous editions and little played games.

yukonhorror
09-30-2009, 12:21 PM
true, but they still have people looking for older version games in their forums.

In addition, in their forums, they still have sections for older versions. So they at least allow an outlet for it.

nijineko
10-01-2009, 12:40 AM
my experience has been that the forums are less than par... farcaster's efforts leave the wotc forums in the dust. i have not found the community to be nearly as friendly, either.

furthermore, wotc has this nifty little license where anything you post, even avatars, any text, class ideas, anything... becomes the unlimited and uncompensated property of wotc for as long as they see fit, in any media they see fit. i'm sure they would require all "partners" to follow suit.

no, thank you.

yukonhorror
10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
my experience has been that the forums are less than par... farcaster's efforts leave the wotc forums in the dust. i have not found the community to be nearly as friendly, either.

furthermore, wotc has this nifty little license where anything you post, even avatars, any text, class ideas, anything... becomes the unlimited and uncompensated property of wotc for as long as they see fit, in any media they see fit. i'm sure they would require all "partners" to follow suit.

no, thank you.

really? Hmm?

All I really want is the campaign notifications that are put up on WOTC forums, so I don't have to constantly check both sites (or put up invitations in both sites).

but yes, they are meaner.

cplmac
10-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes, this is Farcaster's site, and what he decides is what is and should happen. That said, I would side with the folks that want to stay separate from WOTC. Like niji said, WOTC would want to be running the show here, and if that happens, then this site and its forums would, as I see it, become as hostile as their own is. About the only way I would suggest letting WOTC in is if they are willing to sign legally binding documentation that states that they will never be allowed to make any attempt to change or take over this site. Like other members have said, I came to this site because it is the exact opposite of what the WOTC site was when I frequented their site.

yukonhorror
10-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't claim to know him, but I don't see Farcaster letting anything happen to how things are run at PPG.

I wouldn't want anything at PPG to change in a sense, but was looking to enhance its main goal of bringing gamers together.

With the new format of their forums, it was MUCH harder to find the campaign invitations. I like what has occurred as a result of the partnership with obsidian portal and was looking for a similar result with WOTC.

As many of you suggest, it may be a logistical/legal nightmare to ensure the interests of PPG are not betrayed by WOTC.

tesral
10-02-2009, 07:21 AM

no, thank you.

Yea, that happening. I prefer no Lizards in my Pen & Paper. Their visible aura of suckage when it comes to the electronic media is something we simply do not need, never mind the sticky fingers on your thoughts and ideas.

mrken
10-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Why would we even want to have anything to do with WotC? This site and the people here are a nice little community, something WotC has never really had. Trust me, I have been on all of their sites and the level of I don't care on their part only grows with each metamorphism. If there is anything put on their site, it will soon be here. We really don't need any input from them as it would just sour this site.

WhiteTiger
10-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Although I do not believe that WOTC is neither good nor evil, their business practices do seem to generate an aura of absolute control and they seem to be more "exclusive" rather than inclusive as far as the gaming community is concerned. In this day and age, if you let a certain perception get out of control it becomes hard to change it and given their current reputation within the gaming community. It's hard to see how any sort of alliance would be beneficial for us.

tesral
10-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Not to start a debate, but corporations are by nature psychotic and evil, the larger the corporation, the more psychotic and evil.

One of the reasons we have a nice forum here is the Farcaster is the sole control, and if anything happens, the buck stops in his e-mail. Accountability.

Corporations spread power around and eliminate accountability. Hence the psychotic and evil behavior.

This is not to say that the people are psychotic and evil, it is the nature of the corporate structure that produces the effect.

Then we add the legacy of failure that surrounds the Lizard forums. No, best not to ever go there.

yukonhorror
10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
well it was a thought. Obviously not a great one, but it was a thought.
:argue::pout:

Farcaster
10-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Guys, you have nothing to worry about. I'm not going to sell this site to Wizards of the Coast or otherwise give them control of it. If we did partner with Wizards, it would be in the same fashion that we have partnered with other sites such as Obsidian Portal and Crafty Games. Which basically means that we bring in their campaigns and profiles to the Player Registry. If we had that relationship with Wizards, it would give them no more control over this site than any one else we work with.

yukonhorror
10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Guys, you have nothing to worry about. I'm not going to sell this site to Wizards of the Coast or otherwise give them control of it. If we did partner with Wizards, it would be in the same fashion that we have partnered with other sites such as Obsidian Portal and Crafty Games. Which basically means that we bring in their campaigns and profiles to the Player Registry. If we had that relationship with Wizards, it would give them no more control over this site than any one else we work with.

that's all I was suggesting

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Never thought for a second you would, but it's nice to hear-or read, anyway. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Deadone
10-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I agree with you on that and thank.