PDA

View Full Version : Item Pricing...

Mars
09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I have an idea for a wondrous item, and was wondering how to adequately price it... All that it is, is headbands that grant each wearer with the Hive Mind extraordinary ability so long as they are within 50 miles of the designated "Queen" headband... any thoughts?

michael
09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
It sounds like it might actually be a cursed item.

nijineko
09-24-2009, 06:31 PM
assuming the description of 'hive mind' as outlined in the various monster manuals is what you mean by 'hive mind extra-ordinary ability', then i can help you out. there is a psionic power which grants this exact ability. it is normally a 2nd level power, but does not included the flanking/non-flanking benefit. if you augment it, making it the equivalent of a fifth level power, then it includes flanking.

i would base your magic item using the item creation rules for a fifth level spell which is in constant effect. note the range of the power however... you might want to round up the market value a touch if you want to increase the range. as the cost of extending the range of a psionic power is 0pp + expending focus, it shouldn't be that huge an increase.

the specific power in question is 'zone of alertness' from the complete psionic.

if you want a "queen" version, then i suggest you add some sort of mindlink/communication effect for the appropriate cost.

hope this helps you at least get a ballpark estimate of what you should be looking at for cost. =D

DMMike
09-25-2009, 01:59 AM
I think the Magic Item Compendium would recommend that you find a level for the item and then price it according to similar items of the same level...

You can find a level for an item by looking up the recommended magic gear for NPCs in the DMG, and deciding at which level your item would be awarded.

The next step might be to look at the full list of magic items an NPC of the appropriate level would have, and then price your item near the most similar item.

WhiskeyFur
09-25-2009, 05:59 PM
So what would this thing do exactly? I don't have the books handy at the moment.

Mars
09-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Thank you all for your responses! I am going to take a stab at it here when I have more time, and then I can post later, if anyone was interested.
I plan on using the headbands to create a perfect army, but we have to see if it's fathomable first :laugh: