PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of writing a novel - Eberron Cavalry

cigamnogard
09-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I am thinking of writing a novel centering around a cavalry unit in Eberron.
What I have so far is that they would be heavy cavalry, smaller unit, and made up of large characters such as ogres, minotaurs, and the like. They would be mounted on dire heavy horses.
Would anyone read it?

JessHartley
09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Have you checked into the legal ramifications of writing a work set in a RPG company's established game world?

~jess

cigamnogard
09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
No, I have not my thought was to submit the finished work to Wizards of the Coast for possible publication.

JessHartley
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
When considering writing anything set in a proprietary world (be it a game world, a television show or the like) with an eye towards eventual publication, it is a good idea to do some research into that company's policies about purchasing said properties.

Most game companies who do such products have some sort of submission guidelines on their website.

For example, Wizards of the Coast's (located at: http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/default.aspx?doc=WriterResources) says:

Book Department Writer's Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in writing for Wizards of the Coast. We do not currently accept unagented, unsolicited submissions for our game-related properties. Please keep an eye on our website for future submission opportunities.

So, were it me, I wouldn't spend months, possibly years, writing a novel that the company who owns the copyright to the material is currently not interested in seeing...

If you're doing it for your own enjoyment, and don't care if it ever sees print, that's one thing, but if you're considering attempting to enter into the game industry as a professional novelist, it's a definite concern.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions I can help answer in this field...

~jess

Farcaster
09-14-2009, 09:00 PM
You may want to take a look at Wizards submission policy, which is to say that they don't accept unsolicited submissions at all. If you are dead set on trying anyway, you might try writing a query instead. Wizards does occasionally accept open submissions, but from what I have seen in the past, it is with very specific parameters of the type of story they are looking to acquire.

Stabbity
09-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I say go for the novel, but make up your own world. I beleive thats what keith baker did. then sent it in to a contest that wowc was having.

But if your dead set on doing eberron http://gloomforge.livejournal.com/
I'm sure you can get background info from him.

and yes I probably would give the book a read.

cigamnogard
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
and yes I probably would give the book a read.

Thanks! That was the real question I wanted answered - not that I do not appreciate the information provided but...it also not 100% accurate:

--- Merged from Double Post ---

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/mirrorstone/Submissions.aspx

It is for children's/young adult's but honestly - I am fine with that.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Book Publishing Writer Resources

Book Department Writer's Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in writing for Wizards of the Coast. We do not currently accept unagented, unsolicited submissions for our game-related properties. Please keep an eye on our website for future submission opportunities.
Those who wish to write for young readers should follow our Mirrorstone guidelines. (http://ww2.wizards.com/books/mirrorstone/Submissions.aspx)

cigamnogard
09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Almost completed the Prologue and I know execatly where I want Chapter 1 to go.

Stabbity
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Just remember there is an unusual amount of kobolds in Stormreach.

tesral
10-01-2009, 01:01 AM
I am thinking of writing a novel centering around a cavalry unit in Eberron.
What I have so far is that they would be heavy cavalry, smaller unit, and made up of large characters such as ogres, minotaurs, and the like. They would be mounted on dire heavy horses.
Would anyone read it?

Might, never will if you never write it.

Keep something in mind. People geek to faces. "A calvary unit" is not a face. You need a protagonist(s) that the reader can identify with and want to read about.

Keep the action personal. Don't describe how awful the war is, show me the protagonist getting abused and kicked around by war. Show not tell is another important thing.

cigamnogard
10-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Actually it should be pretty personable - I am basing some of it on The Prince as it coincides nicley with the main characters... as one is a prince = ;) Also as this is a "young readers" book I will also be trying to impart some wisdom and knowledge.
The point of view is more like a step-dad/step-son sort of book. In this day and age of blended families I think it should have some relevance and be a good read at the same time.

tesral
10-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Dude, write for yourself. If you yourself to not enjoy the book, no one else will. Forget target audience. Write the story you want to tell. The story will find an audience itself.

"Focus group" "art" sucks.

DMMike
10-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Yup - write it for yourself. If you want to make money on it, you'll be writing the publisher's book, not yours. Post it online (i.e. share it), and consider yourself lucky if some random stroke of luck lands you a book deal.

If your book is any good, you'll be paid in the thanks of those who enjoyed it.

cigamnogard
10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I will - if I cannot get it published...