PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder/D&D 3.5

prestonp
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm going to be forming a new group to play some of the Pathfinder Campaigns that Paizo publishing has released. I live with my girlfriend, and the games will be hosted at our apartment. I think the game functions best when everyone is drinking. That's not to say we should all be alcoholics, but we need to understand that fun is the primary goal.

Towards that end, I've been running some games lately where I require everyone to generate their stats by rolling 3D6 and recording the result as their stats in the order they rolled them. :cool: The reason I've taken to favoring this style of character creation is because it forced people out of the mold of forcing organization on the group:

"OK. I'm playing a cleric. Do we have a rogue?"

The goal is fun, and playing a character who has subpar stats in a class that you've never played before seems to move people out of powergaming mode and into laughing at the ridiculousness of the entire situation. Furthermore, how do you approach a traditional dungeon if everyone in the group ended up rolling a arcane magic user?:mad:

The only warning I would have for people would be to understand that my girlfriend is a professional Dominatrix and counselor. She's not going to start paddling anyone in front of the group, but she may have to step away from the table on occasion to take some calls. If this offends anyone, then this is not the game for you.

prestonp
09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I have no idea what that's supposed to convey, so I'll refrain from commenting.

kailuaboy
09-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm definitely interested, although I have no experience (or books) for Pathfinder. I do have most every 3.5 book there is, though. Will that be a problem? If I dig the setting/rules, I'd be willing to buy a book or two, but after going book-crazy on Amazon for the 3.5 splats, I'm a bit shell shocked (and poorer) still.

I'm not going to commit to boozing it up each session, but I certainly don't mind some beers now and then and don't ever begrudge others imbibing at a game session unless the session devolves into general rowdiness/non-gaming. I have other social settings and friends for that. I've been in groups where someone or multiple people are more into cracking jokes than gaming (sometimes right when others are in the middle of role-playing something), and it can get to be a real drag.

I'm also willing to host if your gal's biz would be better served by not having a bunch of gamers around.

Style-wise, I enjoy games with about an equal balance of role/roll playing and ones where the emphasis is more (not exlusively) on the history and adventures the group builds as a unified party rather than on each individual character's backstory and separate quests (which often just leave all the other players sitting around while the DM and that one player do stuff that mostly applies to him/her). Also, can't stand adventures where the players are allowed to make characters whose motivations will inevitably bring them in to major conflict (or combat) with the other players. I like D&D because it's collaborative against the DM's world, monsters, and NPCs, and because it's NOT meant to be a player vs. player game.

BTW, I'm not available this weekend, if you were planning to start right away, but I tend to have free time on most Sundays unless I'm out of town visiting my girlfriend who is in grad school upstate.

prestonp
09-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Just having the 3.5 books should be fine. I'll just go over the significant changes with you. I'm not sure when we're starting, but in a couple of weeks seems fine.

kailuaboy
09-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Bueno. Looking forward to hearing more details.

tholias
09-25-2009, 04:23 PM
If there is still space available, I'd be interested in playing.

I've browsed the Pathfinder rules back when they were still OGL Beta, but I'd definitely be a newbie to the system.

prestonp
09-26-2009, 05:04 AM
So far it looks like there are two games running. I started running a home game on Thursday nights using the Council of Thieves Adventure Path. I blogged a bit about our opening game here. (http://www.prestonpoulter.com/2009/09/campaign-journal-the-council-of-thieves/)

I'm also going to be running Pathfinder Society Modules (those are the ones for organized play such as at conventions). I've scheduled the first one for Sunday night October 4th.

prestonp
09-29-2009, 02:15 AM
I'm going to be running an organized play homepage on Sunday October 4th starting around 6:30. Let me know if you want to play.

Balthaculum
02-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Still looking for players?

Hmelrose
02-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I have been playing at Prestonp's Council of Thieves weekly game night for the entire adventure path, everyone is excellent, respectful and fun to game with.

DMaster
02-11-2011, 09:30 AM
If you are still looking for players, please shoot me a PM. I am looking to getting into a pathfinder game. I have books and I am pretty experienced.

Scarredsaint
02-12-2011, 07:21 PM
So much action, but I honestly think kailuaboy (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/member.php/566-kailuaboy) actually hit on the main points of gaming that I was interested in. Beer? lol, well I don't mind that at all. Though I did play a game once where some new players to the table couldn't handle their liqour and ended the game prematurely. If everyone claims to be mature, I'm sure that won't be an issue. I prefer coors light! Interesting approach to rolling characters
DMaster (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/member.php/376-DMaster) . Many times i've had to pick a class because someone else beat me to it. But ya, i'm down to game and sunday's sounds good to me!

Hmelrose
03-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Council of Thieves Adventure Path has been completed! We're now starting up the Kingmaker Adventure Path and are two sessions in, still very early in the AP. This is one of the best groups I've rolled dice with.

prestonp
04-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm looking to start the Serpent's Skull's Adventure Path on Saturday Evening's at my place for my year old daughter. Let me know who wants to play.