PDA

View Full Version : If you had the chance to run your favorite fantasy heartbreaker, would you?

MortonStromgal
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Hello,

So I have the chance to run Burning Wheel for my group which is probably close to my favorite game of all time. The problem is its really crunchy. It would kind be the equivalent of telling someone who has only played cops and robbers to make a 20th level D&D 3.X character. And then trying to run an Epic campaign when you've only ever ran 1-4th level before.

Should I do it? :D

yukonhorror
09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
i don't know what crunchy means, but i say if everyone is enjoying themselves go for it.

MortonStromgal
09-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Crunchy means there are lots of rules and fiddly bits.

We are neither having or not having fun with it because we haven't started playing it. I just have the opportunity to run it.:)

fmitchell
09-17-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't know if I'd run a fantasy heartbreaker, per se ... fantasy heartbreakers by definition are some other game (usually D&D) with a few tweaks, and I'd rather run something new and different.

In general, though, if I had an opportunity to run a game I'd always like to try (e.g. S7S, Primetime Adventures, HeroQuest, or GURPS 4e) I would ... but probably as a one-shot, with pre-generated characters if chargen takes more than 15 minutes. If the group liked it, we'd then run a campaign.

russdm
09-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I think i would like to run either of the two dragonlance trilogies (Chronicles, Legends). That or Dark Sun Shattered Lands, its an olds ssl cd rom dos game i have that i like so much.

Arkhemedes
09-24-2009, 05:29 PM
My problem is that I have too many things I want to run. If I never bought another rpg book or accessory and I played every week for the next 40 years, I might get half way through what I already own.

So, yeah, if I had the chance to run anything I've wanted to I would. Of course, so much of it depends on your players. Are they going to want to play it?

Tamburlain
09-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Hmmm. I don't think of Burning Wheel as a fantasy heartbreaker so much, but I would definitely run it. The question for me would have to do with character creation. Do you go full-scale or pare the options down a bit? Or even pre-gen? In any case, I would want them up and playing before explaining all of the fiddly bits. The times I've been successful with introducing BW in the past, I've noticed that many of the rules can be best explained in media res, as opportunities arise.