PDA

View Full Version : Merging OWoD games

Kmacabre28
09-09-2009, 05:50 AM
My wife and I are long time players of Vampire: Masquerade. Recently we have started thinking of opening up our world and campaigns to the other OWoD systems, Allowing Mages, Werewolf, Changelings, etcetera, to be used as PCs. (hopefully creating something like a D&D party)
Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Any advice?

JessHartley
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately, not only were the OWOD systems not really built to allow easy cross-over from a mechanic point of view, but there's also some pretty big inherent meta-plot points that you have to hand-wave to combine, say, Vampires and Werewolves (Wyrm-taint) or Vampires and Changelings (Banality) in the Old WoD.

At the risk of sounding like a salesperson, when we were writing the NWOD stuff, that's something we tried to be aware of. The mechanics were, for the most part, written to be easily translatable from one system to the next, and there's not, for the most part, inherent plot-focused hatreds/aversions from one group of supernaturals to the rest. Yes, some sub-groups within the bigger groups may dislike or run afoul of one another, but you don't have the inherent "Wyrm-bad, Kill Leech!" that you had in OWOD.

Of the two issues, the mechanical disparities will be the most difficult to overcome, when cross-gaming in OWOD.

~jess

Kmacabre28
09-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks Jess, Changeling IS the one were having the hardest time adapting. We cant get around the I disbelieve you defense.

shilar
09-10-2009, 12:12 AM
I've had a lot of sucess blending most of the oWod characters but changeling was the one that always stood on the outside. With the exception of mages they just did not fit the feel of the game. Since I never had anyone want to play one though I was never forced to restructure things for them. But I have found that as long as no one is playing fanatics it is possible to blend the games very well. I do suggest starting the campaign from scratch however as players need to come from compatible groups such as gangrel and dreamspeakers to hang out with werewolves.

JessHartley
09-10-2009, 01:29 AM
I've had a lot of sucess blending most of the oWod characters but changeling was the one that always stood on the outside. With the exception of mages they just did not fit the feel of the game. Since I never had anyone want to play one though I was never forced to restructure things for them. But I have found that as long as no one is playing fanatics it is possible to blend the games very well. I do suggest starting the campaign from scratch however as players need to come from compatible groups such as gangrel and dreamspeakers to hang out with werewolves.

In the ongoing LARP I used to play in, we found that Changelings and Werewolves tended to work fairly well together, thematically. Both groups tended to picture themselves as the white-hats. Keep the Glass Walkers out of the picture, though. :)

~jess

Kmacabre28
09-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Anybody have any advice on adding in some of the other books? Ebony Kingdom, Kindred of the East, Promethian (I think i spelled that right) or Mummy? I'm looking to get as complete a World of Darkness as possible.

mnemenoi
09-10-2009, 10:12 AM
We incorporated most of the OWoD games and ran a large PBP for them all. The games generally stuck to their own, but we occasionally crossed. It was tough though and never really shifted into a group dynamic. What sort of characters do you have in mind?

Kmacabre28
09-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Broad spectrum really. We currently run with a S.T. that is getting a little stale. All of the campaigns are the same: Vamps come together, go looking for something, run into a werewolf, fight, go home.
My wife and I are looking to open the possibilities, and if NPCs then why not PCs? (with story teller approval)

MortonStromgal
09-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Dark Ages: X line is sorta that for oWOD. You need the Vampire Book as the other 3 build on it. It sorta assumes your going to run 4 vampires and 1 other.

Kmacabre28
09-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the Tip. Any hints on where to find the book?

MortonStromgal
09-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Amazon.com: Dark Ages Vampire (Vampire: The Dark Ages) (9781588462763): White Wolf Staff, Bruce Baugh, Michael Butler, Chris Hartford, Jim Kiley, Adam Tinworth: Books

Amazon.com: Dark Ages: Werewolf (9781588462848): Matt McFarland, Gavin Bennett, Bjorn T. Boe, Ben Grivno: Books

Amazon.com: Dark Ages Mage (Vampire: The Dark Ages) (9781588464040): Stephen Dipesa, Bill Bridges, Kraig Blackwelde, David Bolack: Books

Amazon.com: *OP Dark Ages Fae (Dark Ages Vampire) (9781588462923): Carrie Lewis, Forrest Marchington, Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Deena McKinney: Books

Amazon.com: Dark Ages: Inquisitor (9781588462824): Matt MacFarland, Adam Tinworth: Books

DMAngus
09-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Personally, I found the mixed groups too hard to keep going, at least without having a gypsy involved to try to turn them into mind slaves... and that only kept the group from trying to kill each other until the magics ran outh, then the gypsy was slaughtered and they turned on each other. The easiest way to do it is set it up so that you'd be able to play each game seperate and weave the events together into one story so that, while a person can choose to not play certain games without it affecting the gameplay, they won't have a full understanding of everything that's going on unless they play.

For example, you are playing only a vampire game. As your character walks down the street, he sees a Crinos form Werewolf raping a Fae while a group of Mages and Hunters work together with a Demon to try to stop it. The only way to understand what's going on is to also be playing Changeling, Mage, Hunter, Demon, and possibly Werewolf. To understand why the Werewolf went mad, you might also have to be playing Kindred of the East, Wraith, and Ghoul.

This is the only good thing about N.W.O.D. If not for that, i'd be hunting down the people that made the decision to make the change and slap them.

Zeneak
09-14-2009, 12:23 PM
It's never been an easy thing especially with the story line set ups but remember the golden rule. the rules for a system are easily enough discarded and in the end it is your game. so blending them all is doable. just tweek the back story a little and so on.

Dimthar
09-14-2009, 07:34 PM
There seems to be 2 topics for discussion:

1) How to handle the system? Do you choose one (e.g. Vampire) and adapt the mechanics for the other characters? Do you use the rules for all systems at the same time?

2) Different factions : Mages, Vampires, Werewolves, etc. are most of the time antagonists to each other. But is also true that White-Wolf tried to tie some groups from one game to groups in other games, for example:
Dreamspeakers (Mage) - Children of Gaia (Werewolf)
Akashic Brotherhood (Mage) - Stargazers (Werewolf)
Toreador (Vampire) - Cult of Ectasy (Mage)
etc.

As far as #2, I would restrict the characters available, create a set of choices that will favor team work and prevent as much as possible inter-party conflict.

I mean, A Get of Fenris + Nosferatu + Virtual Adept may not have the same cohesion as a Brujah + Bone Gnawer + Verbena or a Son of Ether + Ventrue + Silent Strider

A "Legion of Doom": Black Spiral Dancers - Nephandi -Sabbat as Villains. A Plot that will advance each party member personal agenda.

Challenge the players to come up with common backgrounds before the campaign starts (a mortal descendant who is a werewolf kinfolk and lover of the mage is going to be sacrificed in a ritual to bring the end of the world).

It is the players job to find ways to make the party work, it is very easy to find reasons on why they would hate each other.