PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to be a playtester?

Richard Littles
09-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Playtesting can be a fun and rewarding experience. Not only do you get a first hand glimpse at what’s coming up, but you get to help with the development of a game supplement. There will be a thread in the General Discussion forum for D-3 Games and for the world of Inceptum Terminus for people to sign up to be a part of the playtest. Only a limited number of people are allowed to participate, so please sign up if you’re truly interested. Those that accepted into the playtest must be willing to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. All commentary on the book must be posted in the appropriate playtest forum.

An author may ask you specific questions like the ones listed below and a playtester should fill them out at the appropriate playtest forum.

• Do the rules work? (The rules should be easy to use and understand.)
• Do they pass the "reality check?" (The reality of the worlds is dependent upon what the author intends for their world. One author may prefer a very realistic setting while another is going for the realism found in movies.)
• Is the text easy to read and understand?
• Is it FUN?
• Is it what you expected? (better? worse?)
• Does the author exclude any elements you wanted to see? (Elements can be anything from genre specific to items and equipment.)
• Does he include anything you found irrelevant or unnecessary? (Is there too much information that doesn’t belong?)
• If the draft seems long, what should we cut or trim? (Redundant information does sneak into books.)
• What should we absolutely not take out?
• If you see rules problems, how would you solve them?
• Do these rules take the system in any directions that we may regret later? (In other words, do the rules we write for the game system used in the book are overly complex or not well done that could be a detriment later on?)
• What kind of characters did your group make?
• What kind of scenarios did you run?
• Did the game, in your opinion, lend itself easily to your enjoyment and ideas? Whether yes or no, why do you think so? (Please list some examples.)

A word of warning is that all the manuscripts are unedited and not proofread, so refrain from editing or proofreading the draft that you receive. Please let us know if there is a grievous error like the price of a weapon is outrageous or a sentence is unclear feel free to let us know about them so we can edit them promptly.

Playtesters would be running playtest games on their own with their current groups and generate feedback to be given to the authors. Currently playtesters are needed for Inceptum Terminus: Chronicles of the New Confederation. For more information on Inceptum Terminus: Chronicles of the New Confederation and to sign up to be a playtester please visit http://d-3games.com.

yukonhorror
09-04-2009, 08:39 AM
to clear up confusion

a) this is a super-heroic genre?
b) you want whole groups to playtest, or can individual players volunteer?

I have always wanted to play in a super-heroic genre, but never had the chance. However, I doubt I could run one, because I have never played in one. I wouldn't know how to structure a fun adventure/campaign.

Richard Littles
09-04-2009, 08:46 AM
to clear up confusion

a) this is a super-heroic genre?
b) you want whole groups to playtest, or can individual players volunteer?

I have always wanted to play in a super-heroic genre, but never had the chance. However, I doubt I could run one, because I have never played in one. I wouldn't know how to structure a fun adventure/campaign.

I'll be running a game through mIRC once I get caught up on a few things in the writing, but it's also for entire groups to playtest on their own. It's a combination of various genres to make a solid whole. The major ones are post apocalypse, biopunk, cyberpunk, western, superhero, and sci-fi. As for the structure and running a superhero campaign it's already done for you because it's a setting book. Pretty much all of the groundwork has been laid for a new or experienced GM to run a game.

yukonhorror
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
so it is written in a way a brand new GM could run it with minimal snags?

I see that you are playing wed (bad day for me), but do you have some sort of list of possible playtesters with availability and player/gm preference?

My thinking is, if you do, you could put my name on the list with my availability and when 4 others (or whatever number you think is appropriate for the game) becomes available, you can points us in the general direction of each other. Basically, play match maker with playtesters.

If that's not a large problem, I'd throw my hat in as a definite player playtester and a maybe GM (only if no other takers volunteer) with a sat/sun availability (any time is ok with me right now).

Best way to contact me is via a PM on this site.

Richard Littles
09-04-2009, 09:46 AM
so it is written in a way a brand new GM could run it with minimal snags?

I see that you are playing wed (bad day for me), but do you have some sort of list of possible playtesters with availability and player/gm preference?

My thinking is, if you do, you could put my name on the list with my availability and when 4 others (or whatever number you think is appropriate for the game) becomes available, you can points us in the general direction of each other. Basically, play match maker with playtesters.

If that's not a large problem, I'd throw my hat in as a definite player playtester and a maybe GM (only if no other takers volunteer) with a sat/sun availability (any time is ok with me right now).

Best way to contact me is via a PM on this site.

The book that will be sent to you will have all of the necessary information for running a game set in the world. Currently the first four chapters are done, at this point in time, which comprises an introduction, character creation, magic, and an in depth history starting in 1946 and goes to 2250. The book will only cover, post Armageddon, the United States at this point in time since there's a lot of territory to cover. Other areas of the world will be explored in world books in the future.

The write ups for all the gear like weapons and cybernetics is done and is missing fluff. There are going to be 60 pre-generated characters that make up the known superteams in the world and 9 pre-generated military npcs that represent the base of the three types of soldiers which are standard troops, covert operations, and special operations. There's also 19 profession templates and 4 magic templates for characters to use. The equipment lists is roughly 300 pieces ranging from guns to cybernetics to fashion. 23 premade vehicles that can be customized with the vast array of options available to them. The only thing that you'll need to do as a GM is come up with a storyline and help people create their characters. Everything else is done for you. If you have Hero Designer all of the stuff that is in the book is already done for you, so all you have to do is customize presented stuff and makes character creation very easy.

yukonhorror
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
see the storyline is the problem. I suck at story and I am not being modest.

But, if you know of a GM who may want one more player for online over the weekends, I'll volunteer.

Richard Littles
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
see the storyline is the problem. I suck at story and I am not being modest.

But, if you know of a GM who may want one more player for online over the weekends, I'll volunteer.

I'm open for pretty much every day of the week for running a game. However, I can only run one game due to writing takes up the bulk of my time. :)

yukonhorror
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
not sure when during the day, but usually sat and sun are best. But don't let me decide when the game is.