PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms 3.5

bitemytail
09-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Setting: Campaign will take place in a combination of Forgotten Realms and possibly Oriental Adventures (PCs will be free to travel between them via boat but OA will be optional).

Backstory: The Arcane Order has found a reference to an artifact known simply as "The Twilight Staff" (name is not set-in-stone I might change it if I think of something better). Unable to determine anything about its origins, location, or usage, the order decided to put a bounty of 100,000 gold coins to anyone who can bring the staff to the order. Adventurers have combined into small groups to comb the realms searching for this artifact. The campaign will start just short of 6 months after the initial announcement.

Gameplay: PCs will form a group to join in the hunt. Group can be evil, good, neutral or a mix. Most major NPCs will be rival groups who are likewise seeking the staff. Depending on how the PCs interact with others, they may form friendships, rivalries, or may find themselves fighting for their lives.
Because hunting for the staff is not generally lucrative, sidequests will be available to help fund the group. PCs are free to search the world to find the staff (I've already hidden it.)

Logistics: Looking for at least 4 PCs. We'll game at Cholla Apartments, just across from ASU campus. If you are interested, let me know what days/times work for you. I'm flexable on character design, so long as it comes from an official book or is approved by me. Starting level will be 3. Max level is however high you get. Epic levels are approved.

Let mew know if I forgot anything, and I'll update this post!:cool:

Miciah Dodge
09-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Hey, sounds fun. Due to my crazy schedule, I'm most available on Sundays; only in the evenings for the next 2 Sundays but free & clear after that. I hope this works for you because I'm really jones'n for some D&D!

About myself: I'm really easy-going, enjoy role-playing, will play just about any class, prefer intrigue, role-playing and complexity over hack-n-slash stuff. Please let me know if you're interested!

Thanks.

Thomas5150
09-03-2009, 06:27 AM
What time do you start on sundays? I have sundays off and it is the best day for me to play. I've been gaming for about 17 years, mostly gm'ing and I am very interested in playing. Is this a weekly or bi-weekly game?

Brandon

bitemytail
09-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Plan to play once weekly. Maybe lessen to once every two weeks if school becomes a problem.

bitemytail
09-09-2009, 09:00 PM
To those interested:

I need to figure out a few details:

1. I need at least four PCs, so far only two interested posters.
2. Bi-weekly or weekly?
3. So far, Sundays seems to work best for everyone. Let me know if this has changed.
4. What time would work for everyone?
5. Where are we going to do this? I've only got digital distributions of books so I need a computer. My dorm would work, or if anyone knows of a good place (or can host), that'd be good. I do not have my car on campus.
6. How soon would you like to start?
7. Anyone got mini's or a battle-mat? I could throw something together with a whiteboard & tape if I need to. Writing on graph paper tends to slow things down.

I'll post character requirements as well.
Start at level 3
Total stats before racial modifiers should be 94.
(Sum of Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha = 94). No stat may be over 18 pre-racial mods either.
Any WOTC material is fine for race/class. See me if you want to run something you made/unofficial content. +ECL is fine too so long as your total ECL is 3.
You start with 3 feats: one for creating character and another gaiend at level 3 (assuming your race is ECL +0). For the third feat, I will grant it based on QUALITY of backstory. Post it here or message me with it and I'll assign something. If I can't think of a fitting feat, I'll either create one or take suggestions.
Starting wealth: 500 gp Don't spend it all in one place (or on one weapon!)

A quick note on languages. My campaign will feature two variants of common: Realms Common and Oriental Common. You recieve only 1 for free, the other can be a bonus language for any class/race. Your free common will determine your character's ethnicity.

I'll edit this message if I think of anything else.

edit: more starting money.

Miciah Dodge
09-10-2009, 12:48 PM
1) I'm definitely still up for it
2) Weekly would be great
3) Sundays are great for me
4) Preferably in the evenings as I rarely have anything past 5pm; however in most cases I can also do Sunday mornings
5) Tempe is a bit far for me (I live in North Phoenix) but I can drive there once a week, I guess. I wonder if there's a game store somewhere in central Phoenix? Hmm...
6) I can start as early as this Sunday, the 13th
7) Sorry, no minis or battle mat. But they're not that expensive, maybe we could all go in on a big battle mat then slowly one person can buy the others' shares out? I dunno... I'm willing to buy some minis for myself, though.

RE: the character creation notes, GREAT! Sounds like an exciting way to create characters, especially the third feat; I love coming up with backstory and making it pertinent to the characters' skills. FYI I think I'll make a Dwarf Druid.

bitemytail
09-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I like the idea of everyone throwing in for the mat and then one person can buy it out over time. That would work for me. We wouldn't need minis really. I could just draw and erase on the mat or use lego people or something.

Feel free to make your character whenever. You can either just post your backstory here, or message it to me if you wish it to be private.
You'll be starting in Waterdeep in forgotten realms. I'll be using the Earth calendar for dates. You will start your adventure on the evening of June 10. Just tossing that out if anyone cares about their birth-date. Haven't decided on a year or day of week. Let me know if you'd like that, otherwise I probably won't bother.

superkateb
09-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi!

I don't know if you've gotten your desired four people yet, but I would love to play. I don't know much about Forgotten Realms but I'm a quick learner.

Sundays are great for me, especially if we're looking at Sunday afternoon/evening. I also have the eventual (read: not right now, but in the future) ability to host, provided this becomes a regular thing and the gaming goes well.

I obviously wouldn't be able to start this Sunday (since you haven't even told me I can join!) but if you can find one more person, next weekend or, indeed, any weekend works for me. I'm pretty flexible.

Just let me know!

~ Kate

bitemytail
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
So far, it only looks like Miciah is in. You can join as well.

Still need 2 more...

apolloxi
09-13-2009, 06:18 PM
It looks like it might work for me as well. The only question is when do you play on Sundays.

bitemytail
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
The only question is when do you play on Sundays.

That's a good question.

I need everyone who is seriously interested to post when they can play on Sunday. I'll just find the intersection and we'll game then.

Also, post your class/race when you know it. I'm planning on starting you in pairs, and I want to match you up creatively.

apolloxi
09-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Sundays around noon is a good time for me to start. I live on the Mesa/Tempe border so playing at ASU is great for me. I think I might start as a rogue/half-elf. I have little to nothing about forgotten realms but it should not be to hard of a grasp. I have a good amount of mini since I had a young starter kit for D&D years ago.

bitemytail
09-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Sundays around noon is a good time for me to start. I live on the Mesa/Tempe border so playing at ASU is great for me. I think I might start as a rogue/half-elf. I have little to nothing about forgotten realms but it should not be to hard of a grasp. I have a good amount of mini since I had a young starter kit for D&D years ago.

you have minis? Great. Do you have a grid for them too?

You probably can get by without the Forgotten Realms book itself. Everything you need is in the Player's Handbook. Backstory might be tough, though.

apolloxi
09-13-2009, 11:59 PM
I sadly don't have a grid broad. I think a great idea is for us to meet first and talk about the games and other such things, even to see if the group dynamics will work.

superkateb
09-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Sundays a little later than noon would be better for me. I've got obligations that usually take me until 2 or 2:30 on Sundays. Would that be too late to start?

Do you guys know a good website to find more info on Forgotten Realms as a world? I'm using Wikipedia to expand my knowledge base and sort of grimacing because it's not super-helpful. (Though I'll admit, I haven't looked as exhaustively as I could, either.)

I'm definitely doing human but I'm wavering on class between rogue and fighter, if I'm honest. Though that leads me to a whole other question: does the starting three feats include racial bonus feats? Just so I don't mess this up.

I should have my character worked out in the next couple days. I finally found an excel character sheet a don't hate.

bitemytail
09-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Sundays a little later than noon would be better for me. I've got obligations that usually take me until 2 or 2:30 on Sundays. Would that be too late to start?

Do you guys know a good website to find more info on Forgotten Realms as a world? I'm using Wikipedia to expand my knowledge base and sort of grimacing because it's not super-helpful. (Though I'll admit, I haven't looked as exhaustively as I could, either.)

I'm definitely doing human but I'm wavering on class between rogue and fighter, if I'm honest. Though that leads me to a whole other question: does the starting three feats include racial bonus feats? Just so I don't mess this up.

I should have my character worked out in the next couple days. I finally found an excel character sheet a don't hate.

Racial feat not included in the 3.
1. First level
2. Third level
3. Backstory feat (assigned by me when you submit a backstory)

If you are a human or a fighter, you will have additional feats.

Miciah Dodge
09-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Do you guys know a good website to find more info on Forgotten Realms as a world?

Hey, I've got a digital copy of Forgotten Realms Campaign setting (pdf), can e-mail it to you if you like. E-mail, please?
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Hey guys,

Glad it seems to be shaping up. At the moment my Sundays are fairly clear, so I can start anytime (in fact, this coming Sunday the 20th I'll need to be done by 4). However in the future it'll be necessary for me to start in the evening on Sunday (5pm).

Would you guys like to meet this Sunday at least, say around 2:30pm, just to chat, talk about characters and get a feel for the group? That way my limited time won't interfere with a game and we can at least meet one another first. Yes?

apolloxi
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Sunday at 2:30 is good for me to meet. We either can meet somewhere on the ASU campus or near there like Starbucks or the like.

superkateb
09-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Sunday at 2:30 can absolutely work for me. I'm also completely good with later on Sundays though I'd prefer us not to go too late into the night. (Midnight is probably the ABSOLUTE latest I can go.)

I'd love the .PDF. You can email me at amazon.queen.k@gmail.com.

Thanks so much guys! I'm hoping we can get a 4th and get this going!

Miciah Dodge
09-14-2009, 03:26 PM
OK, I'm assuming that bytemytail is alright with the time (if not, lemme know!). If this is the case, let's meet at a Starbucks near the area. I don't know Tempe at all as I live in North Phoenix (yes, it'll be a little bit of a drive for me, oh well!). So you guys name the Starbucks (and the intersection or address) and I'll see you all there at 2:30 on Sunday.

apolloxi
09-14-2009, 05:04 PM
There is a Starbucks at the on Mill but I just remembered that it is usually packed. Anyone have any other idea. I can't really play to midnight because of the bus system ends around 10:30 for me unless I can catch a ride from someone.

bitemytail
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM
yeah. Sunday at 2:30 is fine for me. Not sure where we could meet though.

I'll think on it and reply if I think of something.

superkateb
09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
There is a Starbucks on Mill and 5th in Tempe and a friend of mine (who is a former ASU prof and knows the area) said that on a Sunday afternoon, it shouldn't be too busy. Otherwise, there's a Starbucks on University and Hardy, but it doesn't have any indoor seating, or one on Rural and Baseline that does. (There's one on Rural and Broadway, too, according to Google Maps, but I've never been to know about seating.)

If we are serious about staying in the ASU area, I'll talk to my professor friend and see if she knows any other good meeting places right around there; she mentioned some other coffee-shop-esque place but we were in a meeting and I forgot the name.

(Yes, I did research Starbucks in Tempe while in meetings today.)

apolloxi
09-14-2009, 06:16 PM
I would have recommend the coffee plantation since they had a lot of seating but they closed over the summer.

Miciah Dodge
09-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I can't really play to midnight because of the bus system ends around 10:30 for me unless I can catch a ride from someone.

I'm fine with ending at 10pm on Sunday; if we started at 5 that would give us a good 5 hours and, honestly, after 4-5 hours I really start not caring whether my character is battling valiantly or picking his teeth.

Starbucks sounds good; the closer to the 202 the better for me.

apolloxi
09-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I will have to leave around 9:45 so I can catch the light rail and then the orbit. I might be able to get a ride from a friend every once and a while.

superkateb
09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Miciah, I'm with you when it comes to after five hours or so. I get punchy and my character suddenly starts making a whole bunch of poor choices. ;)

I'll look into other places to meet up, in the meantime.

apolloxi
09-14-2009, 08:14 PM
For those who know the ASU campus I know the MU is always dead on the basement level, it is just an idea. I am trying to think of what might work at Tempe Park Place.

bitemytail
09-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Remember, I have no car.
Honestly, MU or starbucks on Mill is the best choice.

superkateb
09-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Okay, being as I didn't go to ASU:

1.) What's MU?
2.) Is there any parking around there? I've been to ASU a few times, and remember that parking was a nightmare.

apolloxi
09-14-2009, 10:52 PM
The MU is the memorial union it is at kind of at the center of campus and there is parking near by and on weekends it is not very busy. I was also thinking there is a McDonalds near bitemytail's apartment. It is on rural road between E. Lemon St and E Apache Blvd.

bitemytail
09-14-2009, 11:33 PM
McDonald's is fine too.
Its even closer than the MU. We could park at my dorm too. I'm pretty sure its free on the weekends. I'll confirm tomorrow.

Miciah Dodge
09-15-2009, 01:34 AM
I may have a fourth player, btw; should I tell him to come by on Sunday?

bitemytail
09-15-2009, 02:10 AM
yeah, do it.

I asked a friend and got a maybe. More than 4 is fine, I just don't want less.

Miciah Dodge
09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
McDonalds near bitemytail's apartment. It is on rural road between E. Lemon St and E Apache Blvd.

Well it sounds like that's as good a place as any. So here are the final details, all:

Sunday, Sep. 20th at 2:30pm
McDonald's
Rural Rd. between Lemon St. & Apache Blvd.

I'll bring a 3.5 PHB as well as a couple of character supplements (Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer) in case anyone wants to look at them. Looking forward to it, all!

apolloxi
09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
For those you might no have the PHB or the DM guide there is a online hypertext based web site http://www.d20srd.org/.

From the looks of it that Mcdonalds will work

superkateb
09-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I plan on being there! It sounds great. I'll have my PHB along with me, too.

bitemytail
09-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh yeah, my name is Patrick, so you don't have to go to McDonalds and ask for "bitemytail"

Miciah Dodge
09-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Hey guys,

It was nice meeting you all today, but I have bad news. After making that drive and realizing how frickin' far it actually was, I've decided that I don't think I can stay in the group. I'm so sorry, but it takes me a good 40 minutes to get there and probably a few bucks in gas. I hope you have a great campaign, though!

Thanks,
Miciah

apolloxi
09-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully we can find someone by Sunday. If worse comes to worse I have a couple of back ups I can throw in the next couple of games.

bitemytail
09-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Its cool.

I'll see if I can get one or two of my friends to join. Or maybe someone from PPG will be interested

superkateb
09-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Awww, Miciah, that's a shame.

If we found a more central location, would you still be in? I wouldn't mind playing human caravan if that's what it takes to keep us with four players. Have car, will drive others around like a trained monkey.

Miciah Dodge
09-22-2009, 02:40 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the understanding, and Kate, thanks for the offer for carpooling, etc. I actually went ahead and posted my own LFP listing for NW Phoenix and got some responses, so it looks like I'll be doing it up here. Thanks again and have a great time!

apolloxi
09-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Well it is sad to lose you but I am glad to hear that you got something going.

I was wondering if I was going to play this weekend b/c I have been sick most of the week but today I am feeling close to 100% better.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
What is the plan for Sunday?

bitemytail
09-26-2009, 02:48 AM
We are gaming Sunday. I'd like to start by 5:30. Parking is free at cholla on weekends. You don't need to feed the parking meters. Call me when you are here and I'll come let you in.

apolloxi
10-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Are will still planning on playing for this Sunday?

bitemytail
10-03-2009, 03:10 AM
yeah. Same time. 5:30. Call when your here and I'll let you in

apolloxi
10-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey all on the World Wide Web,
We have not started a game yet so if you want to join contact one either me or bitemytail.