PDA

View Full Version : Party Order

cigamnogard
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
So, what does everyone set their line up as?

1.Rogue/ ranger
--> goes first
2.Fighter/barbarian
--> comes next
3.Cleric/wizard
--> is in the middle
4.Bard/Artificer
--> near the middle
5. Fighter/Barbarian
--> back up fighter to cover the rear

How does everyone else do it?

Hoitash
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
In my present group I'm in front as I'm the Paladin, the Rogue is behind me, and the Ranger is in the back because he's our ranged fighter. The rogue usually wanders around and throws rocks at our foes for 1d3 damage-he actually killed one once :)

cigamnogard
08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Give your rogue some thunder stones!

Combat Order:

1. Fighter/barbarian
--> comes next
2. Rogue/ ranger
--> goes for flank or 5' step back for increased range for ranger
3.Cleric/wizard
--> is in the middle
4.Bard/Artificer
--> near the middle
5. Fighter/Barbarian
--> back up fighter to cover the rear

DMMike
08-31-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm a traditionalist:

1st rank: shieldmen
2nd rank: polemen
3rd rank: archers
4th rank: raging ogres. With polearms.

cigamnogard
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm a traditionalist:

1st rank: shieldmen
2nd rank: polemen
3rd rank: archers
4th rank: raging ogres. With polearms.

Very nice but what about rear attacks & flankers?

cplmac
09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Since we added 2 more players to our group last Saturday, this is the primary way that we travel, when possible.

Human Ranger
Dwarf Fighter / Dwarf Fighter
Dwarf Fighter (Thief) / Elf Mage / Half-Elf Druid
Elf Cleric / Half-Elf Mage/Thief
Half-Elf Bard / Dwarf Fighter

This setup is used since we have been traveling outside. We try to keep the Elf Mage in the center because he only has 4 Hit Points (all first level characters).

cigamnogard
09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
That's a big party!
Cool! I like that party order.

Oldgamer
09-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I like to have it as Cigamnogard does, although I've been in groups where the Rogue/Ranger is a wuss and won't scout ahead.

cigamnogard
09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes, point can be dangerous. But, you really get a good idea of the intelligence of the monster(s) if they wait for the rest of the party or just go for the point man/woman.

cplmac
09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
That is why I am never the Point man.

Oldgamer
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but the smarter ones wait until you get past and hit the Squishies :D The dumber ones that get Point Man you can probably handle :)

cigamnogard
09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Bingo!

DMMike
09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
So, what does everyone set their line up as?

I think a little context might help with answering this question. Because I could answer it like this...

1st
Chatty guy
Drink gifter
Tank/muscles
Nerdy guy
Designated Driver/Liaison
Last

So, were you talking about party order while walking through a dark, dangerous dungeon hallway? Or crowded tavern?

cigamnogard
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I think a little context might help with answering this question. Because I could answer it like this...

1st
Chatty guy
Drink gifter
Tank/muscles
Nerdy guy
Designated Driver/Liaison
Last

So, were you talking about party order while walking through a dark, dangerous dungeon hallway? Or crowded tavern?

;)
I suppose...I might put the drink gifter after the nerdy guy though...

templeorder
09-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Thief in front (a ways)

Meat shield
Mage
[more meat w/polearm]
Priest/medic/other
ranged
[meat]

kirksmithicus
09-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Generally, whomever can get through the door first. We're a bloodthirsty lot. :biggrin:

If we are trying to be sneaky or tactical though it goes:

Drow Rogue - (DDT "Drizzzt Do'Turdin", Pointy-eared-point-man-superfly-ninja)
Halfling Ranger - (The Dire Chihuahua, covering fire and backup point man)
Eladrin Wizard - (The Flaming Fey Stepper, flaming fire support, "two-five, two-five, our position is being overrun, we need snake and nape on the target")
Dragonborn Fighter - (The Ninja Turtle, someone to take a butt whooping, when those 8 guys the wizard hit with the fireball turn out to not be minions)
Dwarven Fighter - (Captain Caveman, all talk, no action)
Human Cleric - (Brother Tiddlywink the Self-rightous, when all else fails preach and hand out free literature, a.k.a. Turn Everything. "Suddenly the monsters are all hiding behind the curtuain and pretending not to be home")

cigamnogard
09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
generally, whomever can get through the door first. We're a bloodthirsty lot. :biggrin:

lol!

Stabbity
09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
after being fireballed one too many time we changed one campain to:

Necro wizard in point

maintank(duskblade) and shadowdancer/combat trickster/ rogue

cleric and ranger and ranger's mt lion

monk in the rear.

wbrandel
09-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Rogue ahead by 30-40 feet

Fighter
Wizard
Cleric
Ranger
Other Melee Combatants

Each character maintians a seperation of 5-15 feet to avoid aera effect powers

This is the way my old group marched. There was another group that I played in that arranged the party in a wagon wheel formation around the cleric and wizard. Fighters were at the 10 12 and 2 positions, ranged were at the 9 6 and 3 positions with the rogue on point 40 feet ahead of the main party.

MortonStromgal
09-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Wizard
Bard
Ranger
Fighter
Rogue

We are a bit non-traditionalist... Make the wizard go first, no one trusts him anyway.

cigamnogard
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
That's two parties with the wizard in front... odd

Oldgamer
09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Squishies up front get killed quick, unless they have a lot of protective magic goin' on. I usually load mine with Shield and Mage Armor anyway, but unless you buff them with Bear's Endurance or Aid or something, their HP's disappear quickly.

cigamnogard
09-04-2009, 04:49 PM
One would think so...

shilar
09-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Only time the wizard is out front is when he uses lots of badly positioned area effect spells. TPK should not be caused by a party member.

cigamnogard
09-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Um...pardon?
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Only time the wizard is out front is when he uses lots of badly positioned area effect spells. TPK should not be caused by a party member.
I don't quite follow...

DMMike
09-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Alright alright...

realistically - the spearhead has good listen and spot scores - to help prevent surprise attacks. So...

Fili,
Kili,
Bilbo,
Balin,
Gloin,
Thorin,
and Bombur.

The spelunker in the back is the least important in an ambush, but the best at protecting the others against a back attack (carries tower shield).:croc:

shilar
09-04-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't quite follow...
you don't follow because you have never been killed by a "friendly fire" fire ball. are effect spells play havoc in small corridors.

Oldgamer
09-05-2009, 10:49 AM
you don't follow because you have never been killed by a "friendly fire" fire ball. are effect spells play havoc in small corridors.

Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Scorching Ray ... all things 'splodey, though Fireball can be centered further away and the wizard need not be in the front. But Line or Cone effect spells need to be from the front or side, never from the middle :)

-Crash-
09-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Our Half-Orc Barbarian takes point, that or our Human fighter. They kinda have a little bit of a rivalry and tend to both charge in recklessly, followed by the cleric with a cure spell and turns ready. Nextup is our rogue, going for a few sneak attacks, then lastly our ranger and wizard, who tend to like to kill things from a distance.

traesin
09-07-2009, 01:29 AM

oh ya. been there...Fireball in a 10ft room.....can you say extra crispy?

MortonStromgal
09-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Squishies up front get killed quick, unless they have a lot of protective magic goin' on.

Yes, and we don't mind. We have very non traditional characters except the mage player whos the min/maxer. He dies alot the rest of us run away and live another day. We have...

Half-Orc Bard (low charisma)
Two Gypsy Thevies (rogues, high charisma)
Dwarf Fighter (hes drunk all the time and gets negs because of it)
Elf Ranger (hes afraid of everything and flees whenever theres a monster)
Druid (uh, hes more of a hippy than natures defender)
Minotaur Wizard (nuff said...)

We don' play often anymore but usually it involves a session of the gypsies stealing from the drunk dwarf and spending it on colorfully clothing for everyone, while the half-orc pretends hes a good musician and the elf screams and runs away from danger. The Druid tries to convince the monster that fighting is not the answer and we all torment the Mages farmilar all night long so he wont get any spells. Then we send him in first whenever there is danger because "hes so big and strong"

Baldwin Stonewood
09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
after being fireballed one too many time we changed one campain to:

Necro wizard in point

maintank(duskblade) and shadowdancer/combat trickster/ rogue

cleric and ranger and ranger's mt lion

monk in the rear.

Before being repeatedly fireballed by the necro the ordered was:

shadowdance/combat trickster/rogue when in town or dungeon
or Ranger/scout, if outside

duskblade
cleric, monk
necro

cigamnogard
09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
We don' play often anymore

:( :( :(

MortonStromgal
09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Its not that bad. I play other games with other people now :D. Just all a part of growing up and moving to different towns!

cigamnogard
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
:thumb:

Its not that bad. I play other games with other people now :D. Just all a part of growing up and moving to different towns!

Stabbity
09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Before being repeatedly fireballed by the necro the ordered was:

shadowdance/combat trickster/rogue when in town or dungeon
or Ranger/scout, if outside

duskblade
cleric, monk
necro

wait when was the ranger in the front? I thought he was always next to the cleric:confused:

Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Scorching Ray ... all things 'splodey, though Fireball can be centered further away and the wizard need not be in the front. But Line or Cone effect spells need to be from the front or side, never from the middle :)

Yeah that was basicly the reason we switched. The issue was the Necro said that he kept hitting us with spells because we were in combat by the time he got in range to see what was happening. So the fix was he goes first. As the duskblade of the group I keep Dim hop load so I can move him or get in front of him if need be.

Skunkape
09-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Don't forget about the necro's entourage or at least the non-smelly ones!:D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Our thief is never really in the group for he is out front and out of site scouting out things. If we have two thieves in the party, then the other is either up front scouting with the first, scouting a safer path, or more lilely shadowing us from way being, and out of site. All depends, really.

Meat shield is next, of course.

Then cleric and wizard, then ranger.

Again, all depends on terrain, party makeup, need, etc.

Stabbity
09-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Don't forget about the necro's entourage or at least the non-smelly ones!:D

Oh yeah forgot about that

so:

Necro and about 20 undead

duskblade

clerick ranger

monk rouge/shadow dance/battletricker and his shadow

two undead giants

cigamnogard
09-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh yeah forgot about that

so:

Necro and about 20 undead

duskblade

clerick ranger

monk rouge/shadow dance/battletricker and his shadow

two undead giants

Wow - lots of deathless!

Skunkape
09-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Actually, last game, a well placed fireball by an enemy wizard dealt with most of the undead!

And there was much rejoicing by the party!:D

Hoitash
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
That musta been a serious fireball.

The game I'm running now has two squishies- a sorceror and a wizard- and a Rogue. Fortunately they got an NPC Fighter around for a bit until they get the hang of combat-there newbies.

Skunkape
09-30-2009, 12:15 PM
That musta been a serious fireball.

The game I'm running now has two squishies- a sorceror and a wizard- and a Rogue. Fortunately they got an NPC Fighter around for a bit until they get the hang of combat-there newbies.

Well, the characters range in level from I believe lowest is 11th to highest at 14th, so you know the GM is going to throw some nasty stuff at us.

Didn't pay attention to how many dice the GM rolled because it wasn't aimed at me!:D

Anaesthesia
10-01-2009, 12:57 PM
For the Classic D&D game I'm currently in, the order is (everyone is a human, btw..):

-Cleric
-NPC one handed rogue-type character
-Wizard
-Mystic
-Fighter
-Rogue is following the main group, about 15-20 feet away from the Fighter.

cigamnogard
10-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Oh those silly humans!

XeroDrift
10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm a fan of strategy and tactics, so a linear approach to a party order is abhorrent to me, but unfortunately common in much gaming (especially D&D, stupid boards and miniatures... what ever happened to using your brain to envision the world... ah well, selling figurines makes money, which keeps a company in profit and growth so I get it... but I digress). So assuming we are travelling on a path without much wiggle room, I would say that having a nimble scout type of some sort ranging just ahead of the main party, followed by a defensively powerful sort, followed by an offensively powerful sort, then a support type, then a ranged type, and in the rear an offensively and defensively balanced character.

Yes, and we don't mind. We have very non traditional characters except the mage player whos the min/maxer. He dies alot the rest of us run away and live another day. We have...

Half-Orc Bard (low charisma)
Two Gypsy Thevies (rogues, high charisma)
Dwarf Fighter (hes drunk all the time and gets negs because of it)
Elf Ranger (hes afraid of everything and flees whenever theres a monster)
Druid (uh, hes more of a hippy than natures defender)
Minotaur Wizard (nuff said...)

We don' play often anymore but usually it involves a session of the gypsies stealing from the drunk dwarf and spending it on colorfully clothing for everyone, while the half-orc pretends hes a good musician and the elf screams and runs away from danger. The Druid tries to convince the monster that fighting is not the answer and we all torment the Mages farmilar all night long so he wont get any spells. Then we send him in first whenever there is danger because "hes so big and strong"

Now THATS gaming! Love it!

cigamnogard
10-09-2009, 07:01 PM
[quote=XeroDrift;113817]I'm a fan of strategy and tactics, so a linear approach to a party order is abhorrent to me, but unfortunately common in much gaming (especially D&D, stupid boards and miniatures... what ever happened to using your brain to envision the world...quote]

I guess we got tired of the DM's mind not coinciding with the player's mind and vice versa.

Skunkape
10-12-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm a fan of strategy and tactics, so a linear approach to a party order is abhorrent to me, but unfortunately common in much gaming (especially D&D, stupid boards and miniatures... what ever happened to using your brain to envision the world... ah well, selling figurines makes money, which keeps a company in profit and growth so I get it... but I digress).

But by using minis and a board, you can take advantage of the terrain that the GM sets up, and use strategy and tactics.

TheYeti1775
10-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Had a Wizard in 2E whose opening line of his spell was "DUCK" :biggrin:.
He was a Fire Elementalist who worshipped Vulcan (Roman Campaign), needless to say most of the party learned quickly to let the mages unload first if there were multiple bad guys.

cigamnogard
10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Had a Wizard in 2E whose opening line of his spell was "DUCK" :biggrin:.
He was a Fire Elementalist who worshipped Vulcan (Roman Campaign), needless to say most of the party learned quickly to let the mages unload first if there were multiple bad guys.

Yes - "Goose" would suck!