PDA

View Full Version : Disney acquires Marvel for $4 billion

Slipstream
08-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Geeks of Doom article (http://geeksofdoom.com/2009/08/31/disney-to-acquire-marvel-entertainment-for-4-billion/)

Breibart article (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9ADVQ7O0&show_article=1)

In an announcement that caught comic book fans by surprise, The Walt Disney Company has purchased Marvel Entertainment for the tidy sum of $4 billion dollars in cash and stock. Details are short at this time, but the press release from Disney said that the move has been approved by both companiesí boards and must now get clearance from the government as well as Marvel shareholders.

If everything goes through, Disney will then have access to the Marvel stable of over 5,000 characters, which includes popular superheros like Iron Man, Spider-Man, the X-Men, Captain America, the Fantastic Four, and Thor.

Yeah, this is huge.

Q-man
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
It is indeed huge, I can't see it as anything good though. Disney hasn't seemed to come out with anything good for quite a while. They seem to be content shoveling out drek that somehow still makes money (how this works is really baffling to me). I just hope that, like Pixar, Marvel manages to keep its independence and not have to bow to do things the Disney way.

michael
08-31-2009, 02:37 PM
wow

Dark
08-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Good thing I love DC Comics as well I can always fall back on them.

prinnycook
08-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I think this sucks. I do not want my comics and movies to be cute and nice. Now we are going to find spiderman at Disney World.

CEBedford
08-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Disney hasn't seemed to come out with anything good for quite a while. They seem to be content shoveling out drek that somehow still makes money (how this works is really baffling to me).

Their major business is entertaining children.

Arkhemedes
08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I'll stick with TopCow for now.

traesin
09-01-2009, 04:10 AM
oh boy there goes Marvel.

Oedipussy Rex
09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I think this sucks. I do not want my comics and movies to be cute and nice. Now we are going to find spiderman at Disney World.

I don't think so. Universal Studios currently has the rights to Marvel Characters for the amusement park (the Spider-Man Ride is absolutely Amazing™) and it's very likely the license is renewable from Universal's side of the agreement. Those attractions aren't cheap to build, you know.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I saw this. Hope everyone wins with this aquisition.

Sascha
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Can't wait for the X-Men Princesses collection~

Arkhemedes
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Or the new movie 'Mickey and Goofy vs. Magneto'.

Sascha
09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Beauty and the Beasts?

yukonhorror
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Considering Disney owns miramax (production company of clerks), maybe Disney will keeps its nose out of the creative process of marvel. The major problem will be Disney's insane copyright control of content. I understand the desire to be compensated for use of content, but Disney is outright zealous about it.

As such, unless you want to pay a $500,000 fine, don't be selling cakes with spiderman on them without Disney's permission.

Oldgamer
09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I was pissed yesterday when I heard about this, I thought ... "Well, there goes anything good from Marvel." Disney is too purist for me, I know the Marvel movies are rated PG and so are some Disney movies, but they dumb everything down for children to like them and lose the adult following. There goes anymore wet t-shirt shots like Kirsten Dunst in Spidey 1 ...

Arkhemedes
09-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I was pissed yesterday when I heard about this, I thought ... "Well, there goes anything good from Marvel." Disney is too purist for me, I know the Marvel movies are rated PG and so are some Disney movies, but they dumb everything down for children to like them and lose the adult following. There goes anymore wet t-shirt shots like Kirsten Dunst in Spidey 1 ...
As far as Kirsten Dunst goes...eh, no big loss.

Oldgamer
09-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Not fer me, I always thought she was hot :)

Sascha
09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Most were PG-13 in the US, actually. (There's an interesting perspective-skew on blockbuster ratings, but I can't recall it offhand.) I doubt Disney would monkey with the formula, as long as it's profitable, 'specially if it isn't branded under the Disney pictures imprint.

As far as Kirsten Dunst goes...eh, no big loss.
Yep, not bad eye candy, but there's better out there. (Tangent: was I the only one who loved the Rachael Dawes casting change from Katie Holmes to Maggie Gyllenhaal?)

Arkhemedes
09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
To answer your question Sascha - as far as I know, yes you are the only one. To be honest, when the Joker was hitting on her at the party and not some of the other girls that were there, I thought he had gone blind or something. Bit of a stretch for me.

Sascha
09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Blasphemy~ :P

Tiberius0000
09-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Let us hope that Disney remembers, "With great power comes great responsibility"...nuff said.:p

Slipstream
09-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Penny Arcade, 09.02.09 comic - Rightsizing

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/636820540_E5wzE-L.jpg

I personally would of taken Dr. McCoy.

traesin
09-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Me too.

yukonhorror
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
I think it would be pretty sweet if they add in marvel into kingdom hearts though.

Oldgamer
09-03-2009, 05:03 PM
A possible R-rated cartoon on the subject:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#8NcL2m/roosterteeth.com/comics/strip.php?id=847/

templeorder
09-03-2009, 06:28 PM
This is not necessarily bad news. I've been a comic geek for a long time. Marvel in the 90's became a piece of crap sell out jerk squad to me and i never really looked back. They are not some precious commodity to be guarded, in fact, they almost ruined the industry and i say they still have a comeuppence - a big turd pie in the face - that they deserve. With disney in control, it may not be so bad.

Disney has acquired a few companies over the years, and for the most part left them alone to continue to produce the materials that made them popular enough to want to buy in the first place.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/09/why-disney-buying-marvel-may-not-be-a-bad-thing/