PDA

View Full Version : Low Fantasy.

FiredrakeK
08-29-2009, 01:24 PM
so i'm a long time gamer living in New York City.

i'm 24 years old and have been gaming since i was 6, so i consider myself something of an old school gamer. i prefer systems like Runequest and GURPS to 3rd D&D, and i think that 4th ED was a horrible atrocity that is only going to lead to the death of the RPG genre.

i'm looking to put together and old school epic game. back in the early days of roleplaying you had two different major contenders. D&D 1st, and Runequest. as Avalon hill, and Chaosium, and well every company that got their hands on RQ didn't mange to stay in business, and as the authors for RQ didn't really understand things like continuity, RQ has pretty much died out. and gaming today has taken on a much more epic high fantasy feeling.

and i honestly miss the idea that one wrong move could mean your character's death. i miss starting out with low skills and having to work like an ass just to get them up to where you can actually rely on them. i miss things like failing your 1st aid checks and accidently buying another player alive. where magic was actually something foreign to be feared, and only after a lot of work, did the characters even figure out that they MIGHt control it. where you played with the same GM, and the same characters for more than 6 months to a year.

if this is the kind of game you are interested in, please give me a shout.

donifar
08-30-2009, 10:12 AM
im definitely interested. i have played gurps, dnd 2, adnd, 3, 3.5, wod. when would you be playing? how often?

Dragontologist
08-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I would be VERY interested in this game. Horrible death from bad die rolls is right up my alley. I'm not too practiced in 1st ed, but have a dozen books at home for it (thank you, roommates) and would make sure to read up before showing up, of course.

FiredrakeK
09-01-2009, 12:58 AM
well i had the game and several player's all plotted out, but one player moved away early on and that ruined the game dynamic. after about 3 games it just fell to pieces.

i'm using a Runequest variant. it's a lot like Mongoose's take on RQ but there are a bunch of rules pulled from the original RQ system. It's been playtesetd, but it is technically a home brewed system.

there are no levels, and no experience. skills go up when you use them. to get new skills you have to actively pursue them, and there is no downtime. the only limit to what your character can achieve is time.

there is currently no players, thought i would be willing to run a game this intense with a minimum of 2, and a maximum of 4 players. there is currently no time set, though i could do a thursday, friday or saturday night. provided we meet and get along, i'd also be happy to host. i live in upper manhattan, around 190th street, right off the george washington bridge.

the setting is a fictional world based off of the early 15-16th century.
columbus sets sail to the new world, comes back bearing mountains of treasures which he bestows to the crown, and the church. the following year, lured by proof of wondrous treasures and the promise of strange new magics, the church funds expeditions to this strange place.

of course the world being fictional, i've cherry picked what i want from history, and re-drawn the maps. the americas are a very different place.

if you two are still interested, toss me an e-mail at FireDrakeK@gmail.com, and we'll try to hook up.

FiredrakeK
09-10-2009, 12:24 PM
if anyone else out there is interested please let me know!