PDA

View Full Version : Big Eyes Small Mouth: Does anyone play?

Peanut
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
In case you're wondering, BESM is a generic system formerly published by Guardians of Order (Now by White Wolf under ArtHaus) that is geared mainly toward the kinds of genres and tropes typically used by Japanese anime.

I bought the 3rd edition rulebook in PDF format a while ago. I like the rules, but I was wondering if anyone else actually plays/likes this somewhat obscure game.

Edit: This sounds like something that would go in the Indy RPGs forum, but even though it was bought out from a smaller company, I don't know if I can justify putting White Wolf in there just for this one system. I leave this thread's location up to the mods then.

cliff
08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
I bought it back when it was still Guardians of Order, but I actually have not had a chance to really play it. That said, you can certainly see the heavy GURPS influence, which isn't terribly surprising considering David Pulver's involvement.

I rather like the rules, but can't comment on how it works in play.

templeorder
08-27-2009, 03:47 PM
First i heard about it, any place to actually get a copy of the older rules?

I see it can be had:
http://www.google.com/products?q=small+mouth+big+eyes&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=dPCWSoiBHYLYsgOh-vnGDA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

And a few resources like:
http://www.geocities.com/nuelow/yuafrontpage.html

I never actually knew this was out there, i have always wanted to play a stylistic anime type game.

cliff
08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
From what I've seen, BESM really looks like it's probably the best rules for Anime games. Would love to hear about experiences from folks that have actually convinced a group to play it. We have too many Anime haters in my regular groups.

WhiteTiger
09-17-2009, 08:28 AM
BESM 2nd edition has more support and more print runs than 3rd so you might be able find a copy on ebay or half.com. 3rd edition is extremely rare with copies going for well over $100. you may have to dig around and see if anyone is still selling pdf's. I really like 3rd edition and I have the pdf but no one around where I live is running any games. I wish I could buy the intellectual property. I've got some ideas for some add-on books but nothing that I would publicly talk about at this point.