PDA

View Full Version : Putting the fear of god into PC's

Crucias
08-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I have been running oWoD vampire for a couple years now and I am currently running an elder-level game set during world war two. It also has a potential Gehenna looming on the horizon, because canon exists so you can mess with it. Now, I have two groups of PCs playing this game on separate nights, but one of them is getting too big for their britches. A few of them have gone on diablerie binges and they have started hanging out with a bad crowd (The Black Hand) and I want to scare the hell out of em, without actually killing them. I prefer to avoid violence because they have the stats and numbers to hose pretty much anything that isn't ungodly strong that I throw at them. Does anyone remember a mean trick their storytellers used on them during an oWoD game that I may borrow? for the storytellers out there, I humbly ask your advice to screw with my PC's heads. thx in advance boyos.

MortonStromgal
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
A vengeful cabal of mages comes to mind... reality bending is scary, when your not the one bending it.

Crucias
08-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah mages are sick, but is there something scary and specific that an npc mage has ever used to wreck you? I don't know much about mage so I tend to just make up things that they can do in accordance with the basic ideas of magik.

Sascha
08-28-2009, 06:10 PM
The little things that can't be explained: like a momentary glimpse of a past kill ('specially if it's something the character feels remorse / regret over); a silent image begging for mercy; a kid running, only to pass through you and into the shadows; real scenery bleeding into waking nightmares.

A talented Mind mage is a devastating opponent. (Plus, watching elder Kindred jump at shadows is hai-larious ^_^)

JessHartley
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
For diablerie freaks? Soul Shards - you start experiencing black outs, and eventually discover that you've been doing things you don't remember... Someone else is "in there" with you - the fragments of those souls you consumed... Not only do they share your consciousness... but they don't like you very much.

You, as the ST, play the alternate personality/soul shard. Think Wraith's "shadow", a constant secondary voice in the back of their head, casting doubt on everything they do. Not to mention those times when they wake up to realize it's mid-way through the night, they're out on the town and they don't remember how they got there... What exactly did "they" do in front of witnesses, what information did "they" tell to others, and how will it come back to haunt "them"?

Just one thought.

~jess

shilar
09-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Yeah mages are sick, but is there something scary and specific that an npc mage has ever used to wreck you? I don't know much about mage so I tend to just make up things that they can do in accordance with the basic ideas of magik.

That is the scary part of mages. A master mage can do almost anything, except take away the Curse of Cain. And a powerful cabal can do even more. Plus like clans and covens of vamps they have many contacts and non-magical resources. Start taking away trappings of wealth as thier computers get hacked from beyond(virtual adept). Watch them burn as the light bulbs in thier lairs become 60 watt suns(order of Hermes). Almost feel bad as the spirits they have stolen haunt them(Dreamspeakers). watch them go what the F*** as they get creamed by an old man who matches them power for power(Akashic Brotherhood). hope that helped.