PDA

View Full Version : The Lighthouse

savoylen
08-23-2009, 07:04 PM
The Lighthouse, light to the worlds, hope to the hopeless, and a beacon of strength against destruction.

Short Description: The Lighthouse is rumored to be constructed on a great nexus to the planes of creation itself. Its certainly a real light-house, protecting the port city of Waterdeep. A small band of unlikely heroes stand in the gap between one very great world, and forces that stand to overwhelm the very fabric of existence itself.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4977/lighthousev.jpg

Longer Description: Beyond the circles of the world await peril, power, and adventure unimagined. Fomorians brood in the purple gloom of caverns illuminated by dancing auras of wizard’s fire. Titanic stone sphinxes half buried in white sand guard the gates of a forgotten deity’s ruined heaven. Hooded sorrowsworn assassins glide silently through the streets of a city perpetually veiled in shadows. Demon princes brood on thrones of skulls in the terrible depths of the Abyss, plotting the destruction of the mortal realms and the ruin of all. Welcome to the planes and the Lighthouse.

Our heroes find themselves at the Lighthouse, which sits a thin Vail between the 'real world' and Sigil - the gateway city to endless planes of existence. Their charge, to stand in the gap between worlds and stand for truth and righteousness.

Campaign Blog is hosted on the Obsidian Portal (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-lighthouse)

iTabletop clients for this game will be provided by the GM (no cost to play this game for players). Signup for accounts and download the client here. (http://www.itabletop.com)

These are common questions I get, so I thought I'd collect some of the best ones and post them here.

Q: Is this your first on-line campaign as GM?
A: No, this would be my sixth'long-running' campaign on-line. I've also GMed at CyberCon and won a prizes for GMing. (OK, enough - my arm is sore from patting myself on the back :biggrin: )

Q: What kind of role-playing rules do you use?
Q: What rule modifications or clarifications to you have?
A: We use the 4e rules published by Wizards of the Coast. What few rule modifications or clarifications I will post on the 'rule mods' thread on a game thread (location TBA). You won't find much there because 4e is just that good and has A LOT of available published material and options.

Q: What type of characters can I play? or
Q: Can I start with a 11th level (enter class here)? or
Q: What are the character biudling guidelines, like starting level, etc.
A: See the original announcement for that one - the next post or come to one of the Lighthouse "Meet-N-Greet" sessions on the scheduler.

Q: What is the 'setting?'
A: Our campaign is set somewhere in the Forgotten Realms universe... that is, at least initially. FR is the backdrop of the storyline, re-read post #1 to be sure we have a good fit!

Q: How much of a character background do I HAVE to have before I can turn in a character?
Q: I have 50 pages of background information on my new character, would you like it as a doc or PDF?
A: All we need is a nice paragraph or two background for your starting character. The idea is to give some 'feel' but few details. This should in the in the notes section of your CS.

Q: I'd like to play a 'spy' for the bad guys. Is that OK?
Q: I'd like to be an evil [species name]. Is that OK?
A: Nope, not a chance. Although your cast member's character traits are yours to decide (happy, sad, dark and moody... whatever), these are the 'good guys.' Bottom line, if you what to play for the 'dark side,' you better find another team - you won't be too happy here.

Q: What about starting funds and equipment?
A: As per the PHB.

Q: I don't have the [insert book title here], can I still play with you folks?
A: You need a copy of the PHB, after that the answer is "Yes." Please have the rules for whatever options you decide to add to your character build.

Q: Can I miss a meeting(scene)?
Q: Something came up and I missed the session. Can I still play next time (in the next act/chapter)?
Q. I'm going to be out of town for several weeks and won't be able to post. Can I return and still play?
A: Of course you can. But... just because you didn't drive across town to join us, doesn't mean you shouldn't afford us the common courtesy to let us know that you aren't going to be around. Just let me know in advance if you will not not be able to post. Everyone messes up and just 'spaces' our for a few days - even a week, your character may find life in our part of the universe very dangerous if you stay 'out' for too long.

Q: What do you think about character death?
Q: My 15th level character just died, and I'm a bit upset. Is that 'fair?'
A: I believe that the gaming experience is richer when your character could experience death (in the gaming sense of course). I expect that cast members will die in advancement of the storyline, and this only adds to the overall richness of the experience.

Q: How do experience points (XPs) work?
Q: Jimbo's character got more XPs then I did! How is that fair?
A: I usually try and award experience points after each "Act" and some major sense. I keep track of XP totals (TOTALS), and will let you know where you are from time to time and when to 'power up.'

For "showing up" for an entire act and supporting the storyline advance in some way, I would give +0.5 level XPs.
For "showing up and showing out" for an entire act by aiding in the advancement of the storyline in a major way, I would give +1 level XPs. This is what you can expect for excellent role-playing.
For "showing up and superior play" for an entire act by advancing the storyline of the campaign in a major way, I would give +1.5 level XPs. This will happen rarely when a character has taken actions or made discoveries that will effect the storyline positively for many sessions to come.
I provide bonus XPs for helping with the game web site - this thread. For example, writing the synopsis for the last session is usually +0.2 level XPs or much more if done particularly well. If you have ideas for enhancing the game or would like to help in some way, please PM/message me with your idea.

As for 'fairness,' I can't guarantee that this system is 100%. If you're in doubt just remember... if you want to make an impression, leave a good one!

Q: What software/hardware will I need to play on-line with your group?
A: We will be playing via iTabletop.

Q: Are there any on-line gaming conventions I should know before the first game time?
A: I will teach you these as we go our first time out. If you're not going to have video or voice when you join our meeting, its going to be REALLY hard to communicate. We'll work at the mechanicals of the game together during our first few sessions.

Q: What is a "lurker" and should I be offended if I am called one?
A: A lurker is a quality gamer who for some reason isn't able to join as a full Cast Member but is interested in following the game.

Q: Do you allow 100% CM (Cast Member) freedom?
Q: Can I kill that obnoxious cast member?
A: See the "Foundational Principle" again. The short answer is, no. Players will not be allowed to kill other cast members. This does not mean that an action taken by a Cast Member will never kill another Cast Member... it just means that it won't be allowed to happen on purpose. If there is a problem Cast Member and normal role-playing won't take care of the issues, the team can sensor that CM, effectively removing him from play. The player owning the CM can then create a new character as if the CM had "died" (see character death above). By the way... this is taken care of "in character" which is the way all actions are taken once the game starts or the GM calls a 'pause' in the game.

Q: I've read the starters FAQ and I'm interested in playing a full cast member in your campaign. How do I get started?
A: The good news is that you have done the hard part by reading this FAQ!! Now all you need to do is follow the directions for starting characters, which I will post next.

Ready to join the Adventure?
When you are ready post your interest here by giving the following:

1. Your Name/character background (one paragraphs at most!)
2. Your character biuld (See the annoucement for examples)

As for ‘how’ to fill the slots, myself and current "cast members" will vote on the biuld/character concept they like the most. That character will be offered the spot.

Accepted characters will be posted to the Current Roster of Players and I'll also PM you other info. like your story hook into the game!

As I look back the best sessions I have been involved with both in person and on-line, and they all share the same thing in common. The following principles will be foundational to how we, the people, will conduct ourselves. If you have a problem with these you might want to find another session somewhere – but I really think you already picked most of these up. What is the Foundational Principle?

HAVE FUN! But when people stay together for extended amounts of time, there are inevitably clashes of interests, personality or someone just having a bad day. Under those situations remember the following:

Focus on the situation, issue, or behavior, not on the person.
If someone does something during a session you find personally offensive for whatever reason, be sure to address it. Address the behavior and be clear about your expectations. Don’t "counter-attack" or make it "personal."

Maintain the self-confidence and self-esteem of others.
There are "bumps in the road" even with successful groups. Remember that groups are most successful when individuals feel good about themselves.

Maintain constructive relationships.
Enough said.

Take initiative to make things better.
If you have a problem, issue or concern – bring it up. But also come with a solution. Take the extra step and effort to make the experience better for you and others!

Lead by example.
The best way to change someone else’s behavior is model what you would like to see.

I know this is explaining the obvious and may sound very "hokey" to others, but I think if we can agree on holding the Foundation Principle as our ground-rule for how we will relate to each other as the "people" behind the session, that will make our time together that much more enjoyable.

Please don't apply for a spot in The Lighthouse if you will have a problem with any of the Foundational Principals. Thanks!

DasachTra
08-25-2009, 01:37 AM
1st to reply?

I am interested. Seeing I am the 1st to reply, I havn't really thought up what character I would be. I'd be leaning towards a striker, perhaps a ranger.

What days do u play? Gimme sum specifics and I can get a character made in a jiffy. ;)

I assume you accept characters made from the WotC character builder? Stats are point buy?

savoylen
08-25-2009, 07:00 PM
1st to reply?

I am interested. Seeing I am the 1st to reply, I havn't really thought up what character I would be. I'd be leaning towards a striker, perhaps a ranger.

What days do u play? Gimme sum specifics and I can get a character made in a jiffy. ;)

I assume you accept characters made from the WotC character builder? Stats are point buy?

Nice to meet you! We are leaning toward Thursday Night at the moment, Saturday night is another possibility. We can set the specific time based on the folks that make it through the application phase.

You right on the WOC biulding... you can just copy/paste from the summery once you're finshed up. I will look very much like the example I posted.

I hope that helps! Take care, Savoy

DasachTra
08-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Gonna be a Drow Ranger....will post her build later tonight or tomorrow. Anybody jumping onboard?

savoylen
08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Gonna be a Drow Ranger....will post her build later tonight or tomorrow. Anybody jumping onboard?

Looks like our first session in be a week from this Thursday... I'm hosting a QnA session that Thursday on iTableTop, and will have our "into" to the game session as well.

I'm review applications from this site, as well as others through the weekend. We only need one or two more players to fill out the 'crew.'

Looking forward to see your ranger!

DasachTra
08-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Do I need to download and install any programs or anything? Is is just the trial or a full version?

savoylen
08-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Do I need to download and install any programs or anything? Is is just the trial or a full version?

There is just the one download (iTableTop.com - download link) from the website... the license thing I have taken care of for you, so you don't need to worry about that at all.

savoylen
08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
We are still in need of a few Defenders and a striker. PM or post any questions... take care! Savoy

savoylen
08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
We are still in need of a few Defenders and a striker. PM or post any questions... take care! Savoy

Two Defender positions still open! We would also be interested in one Rouge/striker.

DasachTra
09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
So...how many players? Are we still moving forward or waiting till the seats are filled?

savoylen
09-01-2009, 09:31 PM
So...how many players? Are we still moving forward or waiting till the seats are filled?

I think we have enough to proceed with our first session... as scheduled this Thurs. night.

We may still need another defender or striker... we'll see. I'm posting a lot not on the new forums a woc. That is likely to generate the last position.

Hope to see you there! - Savoy

DasachTra
09-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Where do we meet? This program is hosting the meeting place?

I need to download this and possibly configure it. Hopefully no hiccups along the way...

savoylen
09-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Where do we meet? This program is hosting the meeting place?

I need to download this and possibly configure it. Hopefully no hiccups along the way...

Its fairly straight-forward, just download/install the program. It looks just like an IM. So along the way, you'll create a free account (ID) on the website. (again, just like an Instant Messenger). Once that's done, just add me as a friend. (ID=Savoylen)

Not critical, but something you'll want to do soon, is to join my group (The Lighthouse Crew)... or if you prefer, just give me your account name (ID) and I'll send you the invite.

Regardless, I'll be able to find you come game-time and invite you to the table.

Very easy.

Take care! Savoy
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Thank you to those that PM or posted interest in this game. All our positions seem to be filled at the moment, but if you are interested in the future when positions open up... please feel free to drop-bye our thread on iTableTop or on the wizard forums for our blog. (The Lighthouse - Group).
Thanks! Savoy

DasachTra
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Installed itabletop. I dont have a webcam. Is this a problem? I have mic though.

My name ID is : DasachTra

I also requested membership in your group @ itabletop. I didn't see a way to join the group over @ wotc site.

Where can I post my character sheet? Playing a female drow Ranger

savoylen
09-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Installed itabletop. I dont have a webcam. Is this a problem? I have mic though.

My name ID is : DasachTra

I also requested membership in your group @ itabletop. I didn't see a way to join the group over @ wotc site.

Where can I post my character sheet? Playing a female drow Ranger

It was great to meet you during the game... please let me know if you have any other questions.

savoylen
09-12-2009, 03:17 PM
We are playing Thursday nights, 10 PM (-3 GMT) which is 9 PM USA EST. Sessions are running three hours.

We have 3-4 experienced players on board and are looking for a rouge (striker) or defender (fighter), and a cleric (leader).

PM me or leave a message here if you have any other questions - take care! Savoy

savoylen
09-27-2009, 06:23 PM
This game is going strong now... Episode 5 is this week.
We still have room for one or two players (have 4 strong players in place).
Take care! Savoy

http://community.wizards.com/lighthouse