PDA

View Full Version : Group Logo

cyotee
08-22-2009, 07:24 AM
My first thought is to replace the deer in the Made in Oregon with a D20. I've never tried a photoshop job like that, but I'll give it a shot when I have time.

But please; please don't use the bloody rose. It looks cool, but I really don't want the gamers of Portland to be represented by a bloody rose. I think it send the wrong message. And it only represents a very specific genre of game.

Imbibovita
08-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I appreciate your input cyotee. Personally I can see it both ways. Granted it is a little dark, but thats not always a bad thing, and the rose is definitely very "portland". Once we get some more submissions I think we will just have a vote. I like the democratic approach. But I think discussing likes and dislikes is a good idea too.

I just reformatted and haven't re-installed photoshop, but I will take a crack at your suggestion as well. I have quite a bit of photoshop experience and the edit you suggested would be quite simple.

Amon Alden
08-22-2009, 11:28 PM
I like the rose (as I submitted the picture), but my first idea I could not find after countless minutes:o of google image searches. I was really looking for some dice with a rose on it. I think I have seen some d6 like that at the intl rose test garden gift shop, not something I would purchase though. I certainly didn't see anything in the first 15 to 20 pages of various google image searches though. Maybe if someone has such a set of dice or knows of any images or is quite handy with photoshop and images of a rose and a d20, I think that would be a great image for the group.

cyotee
08-23-2009, 03:32 AM
How about a tree with dice hanging from it like fruit? I really should bone up on the image editing skills to do this sort of thing.

And I'd like to know how else one could take a bloody rose. I think it's cool, and appropriate for a horror group. But how is it representative of role playing in general? It has nothing to do with heroic medieval fantasy, super heroes, or sci-fi.

I also think that role playing in general has a hard enough time finding general acceptance. I really think it sends the wrong message to laymans. Also I think it will make it much harder to attract non-horror gamers. The darker fantasy players might join. I think pretty much every other genre will be turned off.

Imbibovita
08-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I can see it a few ways...

It could be interpreted as merely artistic.

It could be seen as the rose representing Portland, and the blood representing the general violence in roleplaying games.

I can see it as representing a horror game as well.

Though, to be fair, blood is blood and I've never played a RPG where someone didn't die.

But yes, it is a statement of death, and it is a little dark, but I don't think people coming to a site called "pen and paper games" are prone to judge roleplayers. By the time they get to a site like this they are probably already hooked :laugh:

Anyway, no decisions are being made, we are just making suggestions. So I will put your vote down in the "no" column for the bloody rose. What do you think about my Dragon Sign? :biggrin:

Edward
08-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Personally, a bloody rose would make me think White Wolf. Since I don't like White Wolf, I would be inclined to skip over that thread or forum. So I vote against the bloody rose.

I like the tree-with-dice idea. Oregon with a dragon is also nice; I think the dragon works better than a D20.

Amon Alden
08-27-2009, 02:12 AM
I like the rose, I think it applies to many genres. I still think we should see what else turns up though. Unfortunately it seems to be a quite inactive forum.:o

Imbibovita
08-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I have tried several times now to encourage activity on the group, but it just never seems to happen. And even more unfortunate is that there are SO many local people who haven't updated their profile and/or don't respond to any messages which ends up making this site more frustrating than useful.

I was hoping to have a group of all the "active" people in Portland so you could know that the person you message about a game will actually get back to you, but at this rate I think that group would consist of about 10 people... :confused: