PDA

View Full Version : Masaru

Lucian-Sunaka
08-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Welcome to Masaru Academy (http://masaru.ucoz.com)

Hey guys, Lucian (Aka Kyrtian) here. With one full year of play in this run of the game behind us, we're moving to a new and improved site, making a new beginning of sorts and I'd love to have all of you guys there.

As a quick overview, this game is a play by post, with 10 or so active members, and we're looking for more.

WAIT!!! Before you say "Play by posts are too slow for me" or "I've tried before, I couldn't get into character" or anything else, please, hear me out. I've put my heart and soul into designing this game, and if you asked my players you'd know it shows in game-play.

The game is expansive and detailed, with plenty of opportunities for character development. The character power growth system, along with a general interest in their stories drives players to roleplay more and better all the time, with the game typically playing much faster, more personal, and deeper than the bulk of Play By Post games out there.

Of course, it helps that this isn't an attempt at playing a party based game via forum. (I'm honestly of the opinion that such games weren't designed for PbP and attempts to use the medium for them end poorly.) Rather, each character is an individual, free to befriend, ally, or oppose one another as they see fit, building and playing through their own stories within the greater setting.

Even if you normally don't like PbP, take a look, talk to somebody in the chat about it, send me a reply to this thread or a PM and ask questions. Give it a shot, see what you think after you've experienced the work of love that is Masaru.

Hope to see you there :)

Kryeed
08-22-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm Kryeed from this game, tis fun

Antares
08-22-2009, 02:36 AM
Yes, this site tends to be much faster than other Play by Posts, and it's very easy to get into character

Lucian-Sunaka
08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Heh, glad to see you guys helping promote the game. Now if only we'd actually get some replies from potential new players >.> lol.

Seriously, it really bugs me how people see the letters "PbP" and they run for the hills without even looking at what the game is about or how it plays.

LordChicken
08-22-2009, 04:26 PM
This game is simple and it allows you to make bloody near any kind of character you want, form Jedi to god-ling to succubus tech smith or even a digimon reject(just some of the players) just come and play and say lordchicken sent you

Lucian-Sunaka
08-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Lol, thanks for the endorsement Mello, but you might want to check your spelling lol.

(Who you calling a reject anyway, your playing a Druid from the frozen north who doesn't remember who he is >.> lol)

ChaunceyK
08-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm in, looks like it could be fun. I'm going to unleash the Kender-like Halfling I wanted to use in D&D 4e (but couldn't because our group disbanded after 2 or 3 sessions).

LordChicken
08-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Cool be sure to pwn some noobs

Kryeed
08-23-2009, 08:24 PM
We encourage you also talk with one of us before being discouraged, because we can represent the site in a much better light than just a massive board

lich101
08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Overall its a fun game, I enjoy it inbetween times, and we do need more players... So Join uuuuusssssssss...

KayeoticNeutral
08-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Definitely going to give this a try soon. 5 *s

Fly by Knight
08-24-2009, 07:24 PM
looks pretty cool, i'll check it out. I like the premise, very original

5 stars fo sho

Fuzzy alchemist
08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
I definitely advise speaking to either Kreed or Lucian-Sunaka. I did before I joined and they were very helpful and showed the place to be better than it might seem. I spoke with Lucian and all of the communications we had were enjoyable and helpful to me. While I do not know Kreed personally it has been indicated that Kreed is also helpful and has a decent sense of humor which can always be fun. I must say I love the flexibility that one has with character's there and what I have met of the management.

lich101
08-25-2009, 10:59 PM
*bump*

mnemenoi
08-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Site looks great and a very unique angle, glad to see a site with original concepts

LordChicken
08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Masaru Has a Lot of active members, tho are board looks empty its becuse we make it a belive 1.5 weeks ago, the old board had pages and pages of threads

If you want to know anything, all the admins and almost everyone with a 2nd year character can help you

misterecho
08-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Do you accept novices?

Lucian-Sunaka
08-29-2009, 02:53 PM
You bet we do MisterEcho, infact, our game is a pretty good place for a Novice to start, since it promotes development of PbP roleplaying skills in such a way you're likely to grow as a poster more-so than in most other sites.

Feel free to discuss a character concept here, or in the chat with one of our representatives (Primarily myself or Kryeed, but LordChicken and Afflux are both there to help as well.)

LegacyKing
08-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Replied to the PM you sent.

I'll give it a whirl, but just letting you know, I don't have as much free time as I used too... Working 60+ hours and hosting four tabletop groups, then add the family and you don't get a lot of free time. If you don't mind that, then I'll be glad to try it out.

Pieh
08-30-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm a potential player. I just heard about this today, but have managed to talk with Lucian and Kryeed. Both are very nice and are providing helpful information, I am seriously considering joining. It seems a big strange at first, but the endless possibilities are quite tantalizing. I suggest looking into this.

Lucian-Sunaka
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Well Pieh, now that your character's up how do you like the game so far? I know it's been a little slow getting you rolling, but rather immersive isn't it?

(Definitely an interesting character concept, a Wizard of High Sorcery from Krynn dropped into an anime based highschool)

Pieh
09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
The game is a lot of fun. Even though my character doesn't fit the the theme exactly, it seems to be working well. I think the game would really benefit from more players, so join up people. I can understand the hesitation of join an anime game, I had that too, but when my Dragonlance Dark Elf Wizard of High Sorcery idea was approved I knew I could warp the game to fit my desires. Very fun.

Fuzzy alchemist
09-01-2009, 05:42 PM
It surprises me that people are hesitant due to the basic idea being anime based, but as you have seen the owners and other players can be just as open to characters based in other types of media. I really do encourage people to join. It is a great game if you can get into it and every player I have encountered has been amiable and the management rather helpful and fun to work with.

Lucian-Sunaka
09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Speaking of which, what ever happened to you Fuzzy? I haven't seen you playing in a while. I know your old character was really... off the wall, you know your free to make a new one if he was too hard to play.

Fuzzy alchemist
09-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Basically I got into some really slow threads and some that just stalled completely. I was afraid to spread myself too thinly and this resulted in me doing very little. I eventually felt that I had sat out too long after a while and as time went on I realized that I had a poorly designed character. It had some good ideas but it was bad over all. I very well may take advantage of your offer to allow me to make a new one.

Lucian-Sunaka
09-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Sweet, it'll be great to have you back Fuzzy. Sorry some of your threads dragged like that, some people were having a rough time back then. I'm endeavoring to keep things moving at the proper pace now.

Fuzzy alchemist
09-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Ok. I have gotten a new character made. Less weird than the last one. I hope it does better. Looking forward to seeing some of the new faces in play.

Lucian-Sunaka
09-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Awesome Fuzzy. Mind telling the Pen and Paper community what your character concept is?

Fuzzy alchemist
09-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Well, drawing from the anime based theme that many sections had I decided to work from a concept that originated in anime. In this particular case I went with Inuyasha. This is especially useful as one of the teachers is from the ainime giving it a common origin as at least one teacher. The character is mutated form of Urasue's spirit which is capable of raising its own army much like hers but uses its own soul which, due to actually being made from a number of souls itself, can split. From a player perspective I wanted something that would fix into the world better than my last one. Which is achieved in part by making this one less one dimensional and in part by making it more humanoid. I also wanted to have big fights when I had fights. The kind that you see in zombie flicks or action movies. Lots of nameless bad guys but the main characters remain mostly unharmed until they meet another one. something that would allow those people who are experts at something show just how good they are, like an elemental savant getting to cause hundreds of soldiers to die in a hellish fiery holocaust with but a wave of their hand or wash them way like they were merely sand castles before a tsunami.

Afflux_001
09-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Ive been playing on Masaru for a little while now. The game shows alot of promise, and is fun when there is active players.

To me it seems the game isnt fully ready for play. Many of the rules have changed but the updated versions arnt posted. Also there are several rules that are not even posted, that you are just expected to know. The fight system is a little scetchy, there are no dice, or stat system, there is actually nothing to say what makes someone faster or strong than the other, beside the players ability to roleplay the fight to thier advantage.
Your char gets stronger based of the number and quality of posts you do.

On a positive note, the player custization ability is very high, almost anything you want todo is posible. Most abilities and skills are based off animes, so if you enjoy anime like i do this will be the perfect game for you. But this doesnt mean you are limeted to anime theamed chars, as i said earlyer any char is posible.

So in a summery, i rate the site, a 2/5.

LordChicken
09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Site is filling up be we are always happy to have new players to kill! i mean teach.. yea teach... lol jk

Juno-Ome
10-04-2009, 10:43 PM
hello Juno here, Im glad to hear this game has recieved such favorable feedback, I myself need to give a few words (Besides the note that im also able to help people with character setups)

This game's system (The way its run) cannot really be described correctly via words alone, It's REALLY a system all its own.

That said, I can agree and Disagree with what Afflux had to say about it.
1. the game IS ready to play (Theres no serious retools on the way, and this game cant retain its nature if all the things recieve concrete rules, Which in my experience for Games in general, have only been used to exploit said game, this has convinced me that while they should be stated, not everything needs a concrete figure...albeit some of the rules should be more concrete than they are.)

on the other hand, some of the move decisions can be tenative because by nature (the abilities are concieved by the people requesting them) the powers might need retooling to be balanced, but given player patience this is only a minor inconvenience.

i'd give it a 4*, it could be better, but so far its actually pretty good given that its system isn't like other Play By Posts ive been shown.