PDA

View Full Version : District 9

Valdar
08-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone seen it yet?

I found it to be a nice break from typical Hollywood fare- unsanitized language, unsanitized violence, realistic-looking actors, aliens arrive and they don't land in the US, etc-

I've heard a lot of people had trouble with the believability of various parts of it- such as:

--The main character's transformation from bigoted ass to self-sacrificing hero was too abrupt
--The macguffin was fuel for the ship AND turned humans into aliens? Huh?
--Why did Christopher spend twenty years looking for fuel when the mother ship had a tractor beam? And why was the fuel on the ground?

And the one that bugged me the most:

--Why did the US and other nations leave South Africa to deal with extraterrestrials on their own? We invaded Iraq on a flimsy premise for oil- what would we have done for a crack at interstellar flight, anti-gravity, superscience weapons, etc?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Saw it and liked it-overall. You're right through, on #3 on your hidden list, that was such a huge hole in the story which actually made for a major disappointment.

Well, they set the movie up for a sequel. Hopefully they will explain the freakin' huge mistake of a hole they left open in this movie.

outrider
08-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Saw it today and thought it was interesting. It was kinda neat that the ship was in South africa, at least someplace that aint New York, London, etc.

The shaky cam idea is getting kind of old to me but it worked for the movie. I would also agree with Valdars hidden problems with the movie.

Marley117
08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
At least the shakey camera wasn't overdone like it has been in the past. It was more documentary style...up until he went out on his own...because NO cameraman is that dedicated. :P

I really loved the movie though. Was awesome. I want one of those guns >_>

Umiushi
08-22-2009, 12:35 AM
District 9 was easily the best science fiction movie of the year, probably of the past several years. I didn't even hear about the movie until last Saturday. I was originally looking forward to Avatar, but after watching the trailer, I'm skeptical that it will surpass this movie. Considering what passes without comment in other movies that label themselves "science fiction," while I don't dispute your believability issues, they didn't trouble me very much; I was too busy focusing on the good stuff. Also, I fully agree with both parts of Outrider's comment on the shaky-cam.

mjungledog
08-22-2009, 07:09 AM
I saw it on opening night. I liked it. The problems outlined by Valdar didn't bother me as such, since some license needed to be taken for the story to be told.

If a sequel is offered I will see that as well. I can only hope that it is as good as the original.

CEBedford
08-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Loved it. Thanks to this and Inglorious Basterds I have had more fun at the movies this month than I have in years.

Ph0EnyX37
08-31-2009, 05:10 PM
I thought it was a great film, but I do agree all the issues Valdar had stood out to me as well. I think those problems are endemic to what I thought was the biggest problem of the film though, which was that it was a transparent allegory for apartheid. Now I'm no scholar regarding the current state of affairs in South Africa, but I was under the impression that apartheid was pretty much over already, so I didn't really see the need for a movie about it in 2009. And I think the extent to which they went to sort of hammer this theme in maybe blinded them to some of those more logistical and characterizational elements mentioned in the OP. It was an example of a film where the creators wanted so badly to deliver a particular message that the story suffers in having to contort to fit that message.

Although, I must iterate, I did thoroughly enjoy it. It says something that I was able to sympathize with aliens that look a whole lot like nasty bugs (and I really hate bugs). :laser::spider:

CEBedford
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
SPOILERS!! !

The main character's transformation from bigoted ass to self-sacrificing hero was too abrupt.
I thought the transition was way more admirable than many films these days. I don't think he was completely bigoted, I just think he was too much of a twitchy nervous coward to formulate his own opinion. Married to the bosses daughter and handed this new huge responsibility was perhaps a bit too much for him.

Hell the fact that the transition at least took most of the movie is nice. Most action films feature it in about 15 minutes then spend the next hour milking the hero theme for all it's worth.

--The macguffin was fuel for the ship AND turned humans into aliens? Huh?Yeah it was perhaps a bit too convenient but didn't bother me all that much. A small complaint for such a fun movie IMO.

--Why did Christopher spend twenty years looking for fuel when the mother ship had a tractor beam? And why was the fuel on the ground?I got the impression that his pod wasn't within range of the ship so he need to get within range to be able to use the beam. Pretty simple conclusion to jump to.

--Why did the US and other nations leave South Africa to deal with extraterrestrials on their own? We invaded Iraq on a flimsy premise for oil- what would we have done for a crack at interstellar flight, anti-gravity, superscience weapons, etc?
I think it's based more on our level of involvement in the real world events which inspired this film.

Azar
08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
On #3, there was no one in it and the underground craft need fuel for everything, like starting up the tractor beam, and I am guessing they just got enough to bring them close enough or something like that.

I liked though, I can't wait for District 10!!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-01-2009, 01:58 AM
At least the shakey camera wasn't overdone like it has been in the past. It was more documentary style...up until he went out on his own...because NO cameraman is that dedicated. :P

I really loved the movie though. Was awesome. I want one of those guns >_>

Agreed. I tolerated the shakey camera because of this fact.

Loved it. Thanks to this and Inglorious Basterds I have had more fun at the movies this month than I have in years.

Agreed. Inglourious Basterds was a fun ride.