PDA

View Full Version : Help with New Character

Serathil
08-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Well this is my first time posting here so I figure I should introduce myself. I am Serathil and I found this site looking for SWRPG sites since me and my friends are looking to start up a campaign.

I have decided to run a Jedi in the campaign, which is set in the legacy Era. I am one of the padawans to escape the attack on Ossus, and have been sent into hiding for for 6-8 years before our campaign starts.

I am looking to run a melee master, with leaning towards stealth and hunting sith. Any suggestions on feats/talents would be great!

Oldgamer
08-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't know what level you're going to play, but I'd suggest taking a few levels in Scoundrel and then Bounty Hunter initially, but this will weaken your Jedi class. I'm pretty new to the game myself, but that looks to be the best bet before getting into Talents or Feats.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Hello and welcome to the boards. I have friends that still live in Richmond. I, myself, at one time lived in Fairfax.

Inquisitor Tremayne
08-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I would use your talents to improve your stealth and your feats to enhance your melee abilities.

Since you want stealth you will want a high Dex score so take Weapon Finesse to use your Dex mod in place of your Str mod on attack rolls.

You might want to look at talents from the Jedi Shadow talent tree and at least 1 level maybe 3 of scout for Improved Stealth and possibly another stealth related talent.

Rapid Strike would be beneficial for that build also.

I'll post more as I think of it

Torjon
10-14-2009, 05:17 AM
For stealth I recommend looking into the Force power "Cloak"(Clone Wars pg 50). It will provide at low levels a hide in plain sight and stealth/Defense bonus to move into position (albeit at a single move act a turn but hey), But it is important to note that the "Total Concealment" it grants gives all attacks a -5 against you (if they can guess where you are) and more importantly a -10 on perception to see you on top of the up to +5(+10 with Force Point) bonus to stealth. Next is for level 9+, the Force Technique "Improved Cloak" (Clone Wars pg54) will allow you to fight from concealment for only a move action.

For offense, I would Suggest (in conjunction with cloak above) the liberal use of "Sentinel's Strike" (KoTOR book pg 25) for sneak attack, remember, this can be taking multiple times and Block and Deflect Suddenly become less useful when enemies cant see you to attack you.

I would have you consider the talents "Twin Weapon Style" (Jedi Academy pg 21) for the Jedi Knight, to make that Standard action attack a bit more worth it, and the Jedi knight talent "Improved Sentinel's Strike" to turn those 5d to d8's :)

There are many other talents and feats that would go well with this build. but Duel Weapon feats and possibly Rapid Strike/Improved Rapid Strike(KoTOR) /Wicked Strike(Scum and Villainy). Talents Are going to be stretched as always so don't bother with anti-darkside, +5d8 damage(and 2 attacks)/equivalent +15 stealth/equivalent +5 all Defenses/oh ya and hide in plain sight all day will be Anti-Darkside enough.

Other considerations are: Full attack as standard act (Useful for duel + Triple attack) plus Dex fighting of the "Melee Duelist" (KoTOR pg 46) but a bit feat intensive, You may want to consider the force power "Energy Resistance" (KoTOR pg 50) this can help with that hard to avoid little bits of damage that will get you when you stand next to the enemy to melee him invisible and the party's soldier levels an E-Web at him not knowing your there and you take half (Trust me it will happen a lot)

Anyway I hope this Helped, Its a Bit Extreme but you can just take bits and pieces if that's your fancy. Hope you have fun

Serathil
10-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the replies, and I was thinking about going the Sentinel Strike path for a while, but finally decided on this:

Jedi
level 1
talent: block
feat: weapon finesse
feat: force training (cloak, battle strike, mind trick, move object)

level 2
feat: force training (obscure, battle strike, force slam, surge)

level 3
talent: deflect
feat: rapid strike

level 4
feat: skill focus (Use the Force)

level 5
talent: clear mind/dampen presence

level 6
feat: weapon focus
feat: double attack

level 7
talent: weapon specialization

Jedi Knight
level 8
talent: ataru

level 9
feat: force training (rebuke, rebuke, surge, rebuke)
technique: Improved Mind Trick

level 10
talent: dark deception

level 11
technique: Dominate Mind

level 12
talent: soresu
feat:

level 13
technique:

level 14
talent: combat trance (might change this)

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, and I was thinking about going the Sentinel Strike path for a while, but finally decided on this:

Jedi
level 1
talent: block
feat: weapon finesse
feat: force training (cloak, battle strike, mind trick, move object)

level 2
feat: force training (obscure, battle strike, force slam, surge)

level 3
talent: deflect
feat: rapid strike

level 4
feat: skill focus (Use the Force)

level 5
talent: clear mind/dampen presence

level 6
feat: weapon focus
feat: double attack

level 7
talent: weapon specialization

Jedi Knight
level 8
talent: ataru

level 9
feat: force training (rebuke, rebuke, surge, rebuke)
technique: Improved Mind Trick

level 10
talent: dark deception

level 11
technique: Dominate Mind

level 12
talent: soresu
feat:

level 13
technique:

level 14
talent: combat trance (might change this)

One thing to note you cannot take Force Training as a bonus class feat. Unless your GM says otherwise, you may only take it at every 3 levels.

Also I would probably drop Rapid Strike so early and pick up Acrobatic Strike, IF you will be trained in Acrobatics, which you probably should. It would be much more useful to you.

I would also probably drop Weapon Specialization and choose a feat from the Sentinel Tree i think this build would benefit more from the lethal combos of Cloak and those talents. Then replace Double attack with Rapid Strike.

also, unless you are expecting to see A LOT and I mean A LOT of action against other Force Users you might want to rethink taking so many rebukes. The Force Wizard in the game I play in has used his rebukes a total of twice over our 10 level career so far.

Otherwise I think it looks good! Check the Force Unleashed CG, KotOR CG, and JATM, for other Force Techniques. Also, Force Power Mastery (Cloak) might not be a bad idea, or even FPM (Mind Trick).

Serathil
10-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks, and that is weird that force training is not a class skill. I just assumed it was on that one. I wasn't sure if that many Rebukes were too many as this is my friend SW:RPG game I plan on playing in (which is delayed until Christmas).

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks, and that is weird that force training is not a class skill. I just assumed it was on that one. I wasn't sure if that many Rebukes were too many as this is my friend SW:RPG game I plan on playing in (which is delayed until Christmas).

Yeah trade in some of those rebukes for Negate Energy. For those times you fail to deflect a blaster shot, just use negate energy.