PDA

View Full Version : Psionics

Grandore The Giant Killer
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey guys I just got 2 books on Psionics for D&D. The book of Psionics and Complete Psionics. What are your opinions on these books. The new Races like Half Giants, The bug people, and the dark dwarves are awesome. They also have a race where it's 1 character with 3 minds which means 3 personalities in one character. The new classes are absolutely nasty. I seen the spells and I'd hate to run into an evil version of these guys. Especially with spells like "Brain Stem Removal".

What do you guys think of these?

Farcaster
08-20-2009, 06:07 PM
What edition are we talking about here? Or are we talking about psionics in D&D in general?

cplmac
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM
2E Psionics = :puke:I just don't like using psionics, but then that is my personal preference.

08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I got the 3.5 Psionics book and the Psionics Complete Book

WhiteTiger
08-20-2009, 09:12 PM
I have to agree with cplmac. I've used the spell point alternative system listed at d20srd.org. It's also listed in the Unearthed Arcana for 3.0/3.5 system.

if you were using 2nd edition. The player's option - Spells & Magic also had a spell point system. This would give effectively the same thing and you wouldn't have to learn a whole new system to generate the same effects.

08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
The point system really isn't that advanced. It's no different than the Barbarian's level of rage really.

wizarddog
08-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a player with the Synad Psion in my 3.5 game. It's provide interesting role playing as he is probably the only one in the whole city. I have his character and another PC illumina kinda sense each other familiarity as they both have origins somewhat in the plane of shadow.

Psionics care pretty cool and spells should follow the same formula. The Magic of Incarnum does the same thing with a point system.

tesral
08-22-2009, 01:31 AM
3x psioniucs are another form of "spell caster". They have a flavor or their own, but it is spell casting when you boil it down.

Disenchanted with D&D psionics from the get go (way back when) I ended up developing my own system. Which I know no one wants to see. By the time the 3x system hit the streets psionics was a done deal. I saw no reason to trun it upsdie down for a totally different thing.

Grimwell
08-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I've never liked psionics in my fantasy, it was more than the rules being off for me, it was the theme being broken. Then there were the rules... which never jived well for me in any edition. 4th edition is the first edition I can really see it working well because the character classes come from a different mold that is more friendly to different power sources.

Otakar
08-22-2009, 06:56 PM
4th edition is the first edition I can really see it working well because the character classes come from a different mold that is more friendly to different power sources. I would have to agree. I could never really wrap my head around them back in 1E and 2E they were really another type of caster. Now in 4E we can have any kind of power source. A star power or tech power like the old Arduin Grimoire characters would work just fine now. The possibilities are either enless or basically the same, only different. :confused:

nijineko
08-22-2009, 08:23 PM
i've long been a fan of the concepts of psionics, and have frequently read fantasy novels where psionics played a part.

in early editions psionics felt rather random, and required special handling to avoid unbalancing.

i'm rather fond of the 3.5 revision to psionics. the reason why is rather simple. since they changed the rules to harmonize with the rest of the system (at long last) i can now actually talk more people into letting me play a psionic character.

i have no issue with a psionic system that has similar rules to other 'caster-types', nor do i have a problem with a unique rule set either. i only start to gripe when the rules of psionics interact poorly with the rest of the system - intra-system mechanics.

as far as the 3.5 psionics go, i was pleased to see them do away with the psionic mode combat and it's awkward time scale with relation to the rest of combat. some things that were feats in 3.0 have been made into powers, which makes sense. the rules now function in a fashion similar to any other magic system in d&d, which makes it easier for people to understand them... which in turn makes it so that i can play psionics more-bonus! the psionic modes i mentioned before have mostly become powers themselves, another useful change. in cases where psionics can have a similar effect as magic, they use the same rules with only minor differences, another case of ease-of-understanding coming into play. there are a number of unique powers as well, lending a different feel to a psionic character, if one chooses those powers. a lot depends on if you design a character to a concept/storyline or to a function. the latter will result in an only-slightly different character than any other caster or semi-caster type. the former will give you rich options for a unique and memorable character.

they give options for making magic and psionics completely transparent to each other, or completely different, each giving a different feel. the default rule is for transparency, which is easy on dms and players for rules adjudication, but the different option gives a more old-edition feel to psionics.

i would tweak some of the classes a bit in one direction or another (mostly the combat classes-they tend to show up very weak even with a bit of psionics), and i was sad to see that the reserve class of feats didn't make it into psionics, and though a number of effects can be achieved with psionic focus and feats, it's not quite the same.

since the rule mechanics have been mostly harmonized with the other magic systems in d&d, it becomes more important to liven up your descriptives to make your character different and unique. or you can deliberately suppress your displays and blend in quietly to the background. depends on what style of character you want to play.

having tried out 3.5 psionics extensively, i've found it to be a viable and workable option for any fantasy campaign. i've been able to step into the primary and secondary caster roles, front-line and back up fighter roles, primary and secondary healer roles, diplomacy / party-face roles, and sneak / spy roles. and of course, the obligatory odd-ball role as well. ^^

i've played a wide variety of character types as well: an undead-slaying flaming warrior who returned from the dead and found himself linked to the positive energy plane, a mystical blind seer and healer who only speaks in rhyme and song, a tough silent swordsman who can launch his mentally-created blades like arrows or wield them as a sword of varying size, a former war-crafter specializing in ectoplasmic construction and is now a sorrowing young woman who retreated from the world after she lost her love by abandoning her physical form and inhabiting a dagger to sleep away the ages in, a druidically trained young lad who through pure mental power managed to master wildshaping without ever taking on the druidic oath and powers... the list goes on.

all of those characters i was able to build using the 3.5 rules. as is. without having to make custom rules. ^^ and it's been a blast playing them. =D

08-23-2009, 12:05 AM
I can't wait to play as the race where it's 3 minds in one character. Technically that means I have 3 different personalities. I also could go a step further making them different allignments. Oh the insanity!

nijineko
08-23-2009, 12:48 AM
i had a friend who made a juicer (palladium system, rifts setting) that had four detailed personalities worked out, each with their own quirks and phobias that would trigger shifts. it was wild watching him play. he start chuckling every time we went into a dungeon, cause one was afraid of the dark, another was afraid of slimey-gooey stuff, and another was afraid of stuff jumping out at him... there was more, a lot more.

the synad are quite interesting. be sure to tell us how it goes. =D