PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder and 4E

Amon Alden
08-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I have just started playing D&D again after about a 20 year break. I started with 4E since it was the newest edition. I am currently playing in a 4E group (and lovin it, I might add). I am curious about Pathfinder though. I have no frame of reference though since it is usually compared to 3.X and I have no experience with that edition. Can anyone explain the differences between the two, Pathfinder and 4E. I'm not looking for any venom spitting here, I'm looking for comparisons, similarities and differences. Thanks for any replies

Farcaster
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Pathfinder is an expansion on 3.5e. It holds no more in common with Fourth Edition than 3.5 does, really.

MortonStromgal
08-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Pathfinder is more traditional.
1. Fighters get better attack bonus, Mages get spells, and etc. There are no Martial Powers etc.
2. There are more skills
3. Clerics still need to be heal bots from time to time, theres no calling on your own powers to heal yourself
4. Traditional Races

Thats the major stuff I can think of.

Amon Alden
08-20-2009, 12:58 AM
I understand the "revision/expansion" of 3.X. I was just wondering as a newb, the differences between the two and why you would choose one over the other as a newb.:)

Ianos
08-21-2009, 09:54 AM
No reason to choose one over the other really, they are simply two different systems of common ancenstry. Both are interesting and since you left D&D in the 2nd edition you may find 3.x and Pathfinder closer to what you remember.

MortonStromgal
08-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Personal Opinion...

You would go with 4e because you want a more 'plupy" feel with lots of action less complications *chuckle* (complication is relative here, but there is less stuff to track at high level for wizards for sure and arguably less complication in other places to)

You would go with Pathfinder because you want to stick to something that is very familiar with all the previous editions of D&D. One example would be simple at low level, more and more stuff as you gain levels.

CEBedford
08-22-2009, 09:52 AM
4e isn't any less complicated than Pathfinder, they just have different complications.

Dimthar
08-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Is Pathfinder a "Different System" or a "DnD 3.X Campaign Setting?

or for all purposes, Can you play Pathfinder with the 3.5 Core Books?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-23-2009, 09:06 AM
I prefer Pathfinder, but you you're loving 4E, then stick with it. I find i play all my 4E games at Cons, after all.

CEBedford
08-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Is Pathfinder a "Different System" or a "DnD 3.X Campaign Setting
Essentially it's both. There are campaign materials (lots of them) available which are compatible with 3.5. If, however, you're like me and no longer own 3.5 books or just want something different (but same) they have recently released the Pathfinder Core Rules which is a new and much improved version of 3.5.

or for all purposes, Can you play Pathfinder with the 3.5 Core Books?

You can, just pick up the campaign setting and off you go. What little there is that is rules related was created with 3.5 in mind. Most of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting materials are heavy on the fluff which is good IMO because there are technically two rulesets you can use, or even mix/match pieces of.

In the end the Pathfinder Core Book deserves to be purchased and used. It's a fantastic gaming product and so far everyone I've shown it to has been impressed, even non-gamers or "retired" gamers.

Dimthar
08-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Most of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting materials are heavy on the fluff which is good IMO because there are technically two rulesets you can use, or even mix/match pieces of.

So as a Campaign Setting (FLUFF), how does the Pathfinder differs from the Forgotten Realms, Eberron experience? What is the world about?

Thanks!