PDA

View Full Version : 2nd, 3rd, pathfinder, 4th... ??

Imbibovita
08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I gave 4th a good 'ol college try and really did not enjoy it much. I have a homebrew system that I like to play, but outside of that I'm really more of a 3rd edition (or possibly pathfinder) fan. Not to mention my severe lack of desire to spend another $400-500 dollars when 3rd works well enough (with house rules).

However, it seems like ALL the new games out there are 4th ed. and I just don't get it?! Am I really missing something? or is it that all the 3rd ed players are in long term groups that are looking for new players.

So, whats your vote?

Amon Alden
08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm playing 4th because I just started playing again and it is the edition being supported by WOTC. I remember when looking for a group though it seemed to me there were a lot running 3.X. Just give it a couple of weeks, something will turn up. This seems like a really good city for gaming.

jade von delioch
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't play D&D... and feel that the people only buy it and play it because of the trademark behind it more than anything. I am currently running my system- that i plan to publish in the next year or so. however it is not the only game i play. I am part of a community of local game designers; Goplay PDX.

Lucifer_Draconus
10-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I currently play in to games..Jade's homebrew play test & a Rolemaster game. Of the choices listed I'd play 3.5 or Pathfinder minus the evil miniature/tactical combat & movement rules.

Bearfoot_Adam
10-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, sadly there is no choice for none of the above. Though I have played all of those options and they all have their own upsides and downs.

Drosta
11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I have been playing Pathfinder for a while now. I also play in a GURPS group and a Traveller group (using the new Mongoose rules).

Snargash Moonclaw
11-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Gurps

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2010, 02:58 PM
2nd and below with dnd, with generous helpings of homebrew mixed in. I do play the others - at Conventions, but not when i can help it.

Primary rpg games i play nowadays: Traveller CT/Mongoose, WFRP (1 & 2E), and Gamma World (CGW). I usually mix CT and CGW together into one system.

Skunkape
07-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Was running a 3.5 campaign, but am working on some house rules for Basic Role Playing for the next fantasy campaign I run. Currently I'm running a Savage Worlds weird west campaign. Really liking the how easy and fast the SW rules are, but will use BRP for either a fantasy or sci-fi game next.

Not really interested in running the DnD system so much anymore either 3.5 or 4.0. Though I am playing in a Pathfinder campaign.

templeorder
07-15-2010, 08:11 AM
I was enthused with the DnD approach until 2, then with Skills and Powers we started twisting everything and i've never played non home brew since. Over the last 8 years, i've switched all but two of my campaigns to a non D20 system and those are really on hold. I plan on switching those, but the players have been reluctant as we only play like once a year.

Alcamtar
08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
What, where there no editions prior to 2nd? :lol:

I am running two campaigns, Pathfinder and Classic D&D (based on B/X D&D)

Crom on his Mountain
09-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Well, I'm currently running a pbp Conan D20 game, playing in a 2nd Ed. pbp game (though it's looking like it might be dead), and playing in a f2f Dark Heresy game. I'm also contemplating starting either a Bronze Age E6 pbp campaign or an Alternity f2f campaign. I'm having trouble finding local Alternity players though.