PDA

View Full Version : Do they have... "better looking" versions of the core rulebooks?

James Ruglia
08-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I have the 3.0/3.5 core rulebooks, and frankly I think they're absolutely awesome. I want those at the table with me just to see them there. Just pulling them off the shelf and opening them is entertaining.

I went looking at prices for the 4e books, and... Boy am I disappointed. They don't look like stylized books anymore; they just have uninspiring DnD art on the cover with the logo.

EDIT: Hm... The topic title doesn't change on the forum page, only within the actual topic :/

HowwwwL
08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow do I ever disagree... Goes to show you everyone has their own preference...

I love the look of the new books, and love the interior art, and layouts much more than 3.0/3.5...

prinnycook
08-18-2009, 07:07 AM
I prefer art on my corebooks. I hated how the 3rd books looked. I still say 2nd had the best art overall, not just covers but monsters and everything. They have recylced a lot of art from all editions with 4th and I like that.

korhal23
08-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Wow do I ever disagree... Goes to show you everyone has their own preference...

I love the look of the new books, and love the interior art, and layouts much more than 3.0/3.5...

Same boat here.

1958Fury
08-18-2009, 08:13 AM
I agree with the OP. I love the way 3's PHB looked like sketches drawn on parchment. It made it feel less like a rulebook, and more like some long-lost tome I'd found in the rubble somewhere. The art in 4e is perfectly adequate, but like James said, it seems uninspired. The book's layout just doesn't feel creative to me, like it was assembled by WOTC's marketing department instead of the company's art department.

James Ruglia
08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Oh, thank you for at least agreeing _(._.)_ I understand that some people would feel differently, but ultimately my question isn't answered by opinions.

For some reason I thought that 3.0 or 3.5 had alternate-looking versions of the core books and wondered if 4e would be the same, but I must've been thinking of something else because I can't find what I thought I remembered at all.

HowwwwL
08-18-2009, 01:17 PM
I personally don't remember alternate books for 3 or 3.5...

There is actually an alternate edition for 4th, has better paper, gold leafed I think, etc..., but I don't think they look as good as the standard (dislike the covers), and are waaaaay more expensive.

CEBedford
08-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I still prefer 2e personally. Plus I never weighed in on the 3e vs. 4e debate when many other games offer prettier books than both editions.

HowwwwL
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I never understood the 3 vs 4 debate. It is all personal preference, neither is a better game. lol.

cigamnogard
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I never understood the 3 vs 4 debate. It is all personal preference, neither is a better game. lol.

I disagree with that but will leave it at that.

revolution 9
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't care for the art style of 3rd or 4th overall. Some of the monsters look better than they used to - the mind flayer is a good example. Other monsters and races look too much like they were trying really hard to modernize them. I'm sure there are lots of people that like the modernized look of a lot of these, but personally I found gnomes and halflings look too similar, and some modernized monsters like minotaurs look more like demons or something to me. I also prefer how the old trolls looked. If I'm not mistaken, the description in the 3rd edition MM still describes them the old way, but the art shows them as quite muscular. Overall I liked the 2nd edition art, though there was some 1st edition art I really liked as well.

James Ruglia
08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I just remembered what I mixed all this up with; it was some "Beatles the Bard" book about Harry Potter. My family had a normal version and then some special version with a nice casing and everything.

I'll just have to live with printed books at the table instead of ornate, ancient tomes in a case of what's inside really mattering more than the outside. Thank you for discussing this with me though.

WhiteTiger
08-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I usually rank a book based on how many photos/pics I liked vs. how many I didn't. I like the art style of 2nd, 3rd, 4th & yes.. even pathfinder.
art has always been subjective and being open minded is always a good thing.

CEBedford
08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm still partial to 2e mainly because of Planescape so I guess I better revise my answer. I prefer the art in the Pathfinder if we're talking core books.

James Ruglia
08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry to bring the topic back up, but I have another -but similiar- question that I will present with a story:

I was looking through the 3.5 Player's Handbook and got to the back cover, where I noticed the old paper price stamp sticker. "$30". So it's a smidge below the standard "$35" that 4e is sold for. At first I thought 3.5 might be a bit cheaper like that because it wasn't it's own full version, it was an update, so I pulled out the 3.0 handbook; $20.

... Twenty dollars. Was that normal for it? I got it long before 3.5 came out.

Right now it's a battle between college books and DnD4 books. Since they're both extorting more money than they should or probably need to, I can only pick one. And unfortunately that's a battle that a game can't win :( And that's just considering the 3 absolute core books. I also need to pick up PH2 for Bard, Sorcerer, and other things, and I definately need Divine Power.

There are a couple of sources on Ebay selling it for less, but then I have to wonder how and why they can/do sell it for as much less as they do. Is the book legit? Stolen? It's supposedly "new".

In fact, I discovered a more expensive "deluxe" version. What's that about?

Hoitash
08-20-2009, 12:10 PM
As a fellow college student I feel your pain. Your best bet is to buy as many of your school books as possible on Amazon, then when the year is over sell them back on Amazon. You'll get more then you would from your college bookstore's buyback and you're pretty much garaunteed someone will buy it, regardless of edition. Last semester none of my books were wanted at the bookstore so I sold them on Amazon and made eighty bucks, which will buy you the core rulebooks for 4th edition, as long as you buy them on-you guessed it-Amazon.

MarshamSane
08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Deluxe has sturdier leather covers and better binding, iirc.

revolution 9
08-20-2009, 02:50 PM
At first I thought 3.5 might be a bit cheaper like that because it wasn't it's own full version,

...?

As I recall the original 3.0 books were fairly inexpensive.

There are a couple of sources on Ebay selling it for less, but then I have to wonder how and why they can/do sell it for as much less as they do. Is the book legit? Stolen? It's supposedly "new".

The combination of the economy and the fact that a lot of people absolutely hate 4th edition means these books are sold rather cheaply. (If I remember correctly, the 3.5 books are still selling for more than new 4th edition core books.) Lots of gaming stuff on eBay is going for a fairly low price, and 4th edition doesn't sell for much to begin with. I don't think it's all stolen.

James Ruglia
08-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Interesting... I never thought that school books would sell on Amazon, I'll try that. My PSY book's edition was ramped up so they don't want my previous one anymore.

revolution 9: The reason I brought this up is because it seemed the original 3.0 books were cheaper to begin with, then with 3.5 it went up to $30, now with 4e it's $35 at any local store and in many online outlets. Prompting my question.

Thank you for all of your information.

Hoitash
08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
That's probably just inflation.

Dark
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I have the 3.0/3.5 core rulebooks, and frankly I think they're absolutely awesome. I want those at the table with me just to see them there. Just pulling them off the shelf and opening them is entertaining.

I went looking at prices for the 4e books, and... Boy am I disappointed. They don't look like stylized books anymore; they just have uninspiring DnD art on the cover with the logo.

EDIT: Hm... The topic title doesn't change on the forum page, only within the actual topic :/

Same boat here.

HowwwwL
08-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Sorry to bring the topic back up, but I have another -but similiar- question that I will present with a story:

I was looking through the 3.5 Player's Handbook and got to the back cover, where I noticed the old paper price stamp sticker. "$30". So it's a smidge below the standard "$35" that 4e is sold for. At first I thought 3.5 might be a bit cheaper like that because it wasn't it's own full version, it was an update, so I pulled out the 3.0 handbook; $20.

Right now it's a battle between college books and DnD4 books. Since they're both extorting more money than they should or probably need to, I can only pick one. And unfortunately that's a battle that a game can't win :( And that's just considering the 3 absolute core books. I also need to pick up PH2 for Bard, Sorcerer, and other things, and I definately need Divine Power.

In fact, I discovered a more expensive "deluxe" version. What's that about?

Books are going to increase in price over the years just due to inflation alone... That being said, I thought 3.5 was the biggest "bend over and take it" move WOTC ever did. I always had a bad taste in my mouth after that, and I think that is why I waited as long as I did to pick up the 4e books. I was waiting for 4.5, lol.

The deluxe books have heavier paper stock, gold leaf, and a bunch of other crap that no one needs.

All that being said, I was able to pick up the 4e D&D books for almost 50% off the cover price on Amazon.ca, and they came brand spanking new. I picked up all 3 core books for a little over $70 CDN total including taxes and shipping. I think the PHB was like $21 CDN.

In any case, if your biggest concern is how much it costs, why not shop around? There are deals to be had.

october_darkness
08-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm a college student, and I buy my textbooks on Half.com.... Now as far as my D&D books, I refuse to buy them online even if they are cheaper. Not to sound elitist, but I'm a big supporter of my local game store.

I understand there's different circumstances such as driving distance, economy, etc. that may prevent you from buying locally. It's tough.

Ianos
08-22-2009, 01:36 AM
I used to buy everything from my local gaming store but the difference in price is huge and I could not help feeling cheated (ended up paying 20% more for each book) so now I am buying everything on line and if there is a pdf version then that's even better (from an ecological point of view as well as economical).

Hoitash
08-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah I've been thinking of getting a laptop for my pdf's since I use a desktop at school (how do I take notes? Notebook has a paper version :))

I support my gamestore by buying dice to assuage my guilty feeling of spending six hours their playing, but a Scout is thrifty when it comes to books. Especially when I can get all 5 four editions for the price of the three core books.

HowwwwL
08-22-2009, 03:43 PM
I buy other things at my LGS. Books are just marked up way too high. I buy miniatures, dice, and maybe the odd adventure here and there if I feel spontaneous.

If you have the money to burn, and don't care about paying more, there is nothing wrong with supporting your LGS more. All I know is I bought the PHB, PHB2, MM, MM2, DMG, Adventurer's Vault, Eberron Campaign Guide, Eberron Player's guide, Dungeon Master Screen, and Seekers of the Ashen Crown, and saved 40% off the cover price if I would have bought it at my LGS.

If you consider $40/book in LGS, and $21 online... You can easily see how much I saved. It is like they threw in a few more books for free.

Deadone
08-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Books are going to increase in price over the years just due to inflation alone... That being said, I thought 3.5 was the biggest "bend over and take it" move WOTC ever did. I always had a bad taste in my mouth after that, and I think that is why I waited as long as I did to pick up the 4e books. I was waiting for 4.5, lol.

The deluxe books have heavier paper stock, gold leaf, and a bunch of other crap that no one needs.

All that being said, I was able to pick up the 4e D&D books for almost 50% off the cover price on Amazon.ca, and they came brand spanking new. I picked up all 3 core books for a little over $70 CDN total including taxes and shipping. I think the PHB was like $21 CDN.

In any case, if your biggest concern is how much it costs, why not shop around? There are deals to be had.

I can do one better I got my 3 for free as the former owner tossed them out with the rubbish. So just call me garbage picker but hell I like me freebies.

revolution 9
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I find it hilarious that game stores are just tossing their 4th edition books in the trash.

CEBedford
08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I find it hilarious that game stores are just tossing their 4th edition books in the trash.

I think he meant a "previous owner" as in someone who'd purchased them and threw them away. It's still a funny thought I suppose.