PDA

View Full Version : 4E? Really??

Killwatch
08-17-2009, 08:48 AM
I think it well beyond 4E
I think everytime they come out with a new PHB/DMG that it is a new edition, so how many can you recall? Let's see if you come up with the same number I have, I got 9*
I am lumping one set all together

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Not sure, but i will say that i have been through the release of each edition, and played them all.

Windstar
08-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Not sure, but i will say that i have been through the release of each edition, and played them all.

Me too!

outrider
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
same here. Even before a ph and dmg. Original three booklets with chainmail.

korhal23
08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Either way, they've only updated the edition number when there's been significant rules changes. Sure, there was D&D, 2nd Ed D&D, AD&D, AD&D 2nd, then we revert to just calling it D&D but really it was AD&D 3rd Edition. Then 3.5 came out... and it was 3.5 because it was errattaed and altered and different enough that it warranted distinction as a revision, but not different enough to be it's own edition. And now we have the 4th edition of AD&D, essentially.

So there you go. 4th Edition of D&D? No. 4th Edition of AD&D? Yep.

tesral
08-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Editions: Lets see

Three book set: That would be the 1st Edition.
Greyhawk added enough rule changes to at least be called 1.5e by itself.

Here we have a fork, one path of which I did not follow. D&D became the Basic/Expert set and do forth. There are significant rules changes (Dwarf is a class?) This would be an edition within itself. call it B2.0. Several editions follow, I would have to look them up. My comment on the "B" path ends here.

I went with AD&D. Again significant rule changes. And an attitude change, but we won't go into that. So for my proposes AD&D was 2nd Edition. Since D&D has not gone away, A2.0

AD&D 2nd Edition would be to my thinking A2.5. It's still AD&D, the rule changes are not that significant from AD&D. I got the books mainly because they were better organized.

Here I have another fork. With the release of the Core Rules CD I got my hands on the text of the Core books. I started to edit with a will. I had the tools. The House rules became books unto themselves. MD&D2.5

Back to the official path. D&D 3x. Major rule changes. The "B" path is dropped. If one considers Major changes being editions, D&D 3 is correct. If you take the AD&D tree as the decent path. Since the 3x rules more clearly build on the AD&D line I am going to do that.

4 is a different beast altogether. I can easily adapt characters that have not been touched from 1st edition D&D for 3. In most cases a fifteen minute conversion, mainly occupied with writing the new character sheet. Yes, I have done this.

4th Edition is not so simple to convert. It is not on the same tree as we know it, it is a different game. A sidestep. Personally I believe it was Hasbro telling Lizards to make enough changes so that the OGL could be sidestepped. Considering the odious licenses they demanded with fourth, I'm going to say I am right.

In my case MD&D2.8 is nearly finished. I'm done with the official line entirely.

Killwatch
08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Chainmail, D&D White Books, D&D Basic, D&D Advanced, AD&D 2ed, AD&D P&S, D&D 3, D&D3.5 and finally D&D 4

You could legitimately have a A core rule book, PHB and/or a DMG for each of these games

Moritz
08-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Mention the White Books and get: http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/original.html

Windstar
08-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Oh the memories of times and days past of a misspent youth........

Moritz
08-26-2009, 08:38 AM
It kept me off the streets... Except when we were gaming while driving around.

templeorder
08-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure what to say here. Modules and supplements were always publishing updates and additions, handbooks, came out and new supplements that extended the rules, but the core of it did not change in many cases. Skills and Powers came out and changed everything, enough to warrant a version. Then you have the gamer culture producing their own rules (3.5)... where does it all end? All i can say is its helped to foster a hobby and past time that i enjoy immensely.

Moritz
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I've felt that the additional rules and class focused books often broke some of the original rules.
For example: Unearthed Arcana.

Which essentially made 3.5 a new version (3.75?)

Skunkape
08-27-2009, 08:10 AM
It kept me off the streets... Except when we were gaming while driving around.

Wow you guys did that too!? I thought we were the only geeks to do that!:biggrin:

tesral
08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I've felt that the additional rules and class focused books often broke some of the original rules.
For example: Unearthed Arcana.

Which essentially made 3.5 a new version (3.75?)

That is usually the case in every edition. With the way Lizards is churning out the 4e books it is going to happen there as well.