PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sun for 4e !!

Tamburlain
08-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Wow. (http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/08/dark-sun-for-d-iv.html) And Holy Mushroom, Papa Smurf!

I've never had a chance to play (much less run) this venerable supplement from the heady days of D&D 2e, but I've had so many respected gamer friends tell me so many positive things about Dark Sun, that I can't wait until 2010 when it is released. Is it really that good?

Here is the announcement (scroll down for a great image of the future cover of the core book) straight from the horse's mouth (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20090814).

The most tantalizing tidbit? I thought it was this little exchange:

Q: And for the parties themselves, can you tell us what we might look forward to with Dark Sun character concepts and designs? How will, say, a Dark Sun fighter stand apart from a Forgotten Realms or Eberron fighter?

James Wyatt: One of the things I'm most excited about with the new setting addresses this question, but I don't want to talk too much about it. Suffice it to say, at this point, that a Dark Sun fighter has a whole set of options available to him that aren't (yet) available to other D&D characters. These options will add a whole new dimension to Dark Sun player characters, both in terms of what they can do within the rules of the game and in terms of fleshing them out as people in the world.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dark_sun_cg_b1y.jpg

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I have a gaming buddy that loves Dark Sun. I have sent him the links. Thanks for posting.

Arkhemedes
08-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Tell you what Tamburlain...you get a Dark Sun game going, one of the few 2e worlds I never got the chance to play or DM, and even I would be interested in 4e. :biggrin:

Q-man
08-15-2009, 07:41 AM
I never got to play in Dark Sun before. I've heard bits and pieces about it though, and it sounded interesting. I'm probably going to grab a copy of this to see what its all about.

FrederickL
08-15-2009, 08:00 AM
I played maybe 2 sessions of Dark Sun in the good ole' days of the 2nd Edition but I have the boxset right here (friend bought it and gave it to me because it was "boring") and I like it a lot.

I also have the old Ravenloft boxset and that's something they should release too. But they should make the books sturdier than those I have because they've been in a binder (and I had to punch holes myself) from the moment I bought the box.

Cheap a** bastards.

Can't wait for the new Dark Sun, hope they'll give a few more info than in the original box, though. There was a definite lack of back story, except to say that everything was bad and that wizards abused magic a long time ago.

prinnycook
08-15-2009, 01:47 PM
YES YES YES alright this is awsome. I am so thrilled that this is the next setting. I thought Dragonlance was going to be next but this is so much better. As you can tell I really like Dark Sun.

Tamburlain
08-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Tell you what Tamburlain...you get a Dark Sun game going, one of the few 2e worlds I never got the chance to play or DM, and even I would be interested in 4e. :biggrin:

Deal.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

YES YES YES alright this is awsome. I am so thrilled that this is the next setting. I thought Dragonlance was going to be next but this is so much better. As you can tell I really like Dark Sun.

Yes, agreed! I can't tell you how many so-called insider bloggy types have been spreading the word that Dragonlance, which I have zilch desire to play, was "bound" to be the next setting for 4e.

korhal23
08-15-2009, 05:03 PM
This makes me happy. I <3 Dark Sun. It's definitely a close second to Forgotten Realms in my book. I'll definitely be buying this.

yukonhorror
08-15-2009, 05:08 PM
also in that article is the underdark and tomb of horrors 4e conversion. I know a bit off topic, but those are also very cool in my book.

Tamburlain
08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
also in that article is the underdark and tomb of horrors 4e conversion. I know a bit off topic, but those are also very cool in my book.

Yes, mucho cool, indeed. ToH 4e doesn't surprise me, but I can't help but wonder how it's lethality may be changed. They reworked it for 3e, didn't they? Did anyone play that here? Did they make it less lethal?

WhiteTiger
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I hate to be a minor dissenter.. but I am worried about this. I have to say that I wasn't personally impressed with the new Forgotten Realms. I'm hoping that the new Dark Sun isn't going to be a radical new version but more of a minor upgrade fitted to 4e and keep most of the 2nd edition history.

I can't help it but I like history. :)

I will be comparing it to the old 2nd edition since I still have my boxed set and supplements of Dark sun to see how much has changed as far as the storyline goes. I know the mechanics will change.

yukonhorror
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
they say the timeline hasn't changed for dark sun, so should be in line with 2e

russdm
08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
its about D*** time. I have been waiting for more Dark Sun. i played 2e stuff, but didnt get into 3e stuff for that setting. I hope they do a good job with the setting. no more FR bulls*** crap again. I am hoping for Dark Sun to be worthy of the name and hope/pray they do the same for Dragonlance. These are the only campaign settings i have been waiting for: Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

so the product breakdown for campaign settings has been this:

Forgotten Realms
Eberron
Dark Sun

Which one will be next after that i wonder.

Ianos
08-21-2009, 08:36 AM
...I have to say that I wasn't personally impressed with the new Forgotten Realms...

Neither was I but it seems that for Dark Sun they will keep changes to a minimum...

Grimwell
08-21-2009, 12:45 PM
This gives me great hope.

HowwwwL
08-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Though I am starting an Eberron campaign, I would definitely consider starting it over in Dark Sun. Bravo WOTC!

MortonStromgal
08-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Well I guess that answers the question of which 2e setting was next, Spelljammer or Darksun. :biggrin:

:edit: FYI they have had art and rule leaks for both for a year IIRC

Gargs454
08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Personally, Dark Sun doesn't interest me all that much. It just seems like it would become a little too redundant fairly quickly. (As I said that's just me).

That being said though, I am definitely glad that they picked Dark Sun for the next setting because it is such a departure from what was already out there (FR, Eberron, and default Points of Light). I tend to prefer more of a medieval feel myself, but I think its great that there will now be something completely different. Its certainly good for drawing more people in as even I have to admit that there isn't much difference between FR, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Default, and even Eberron. Ravenloft would at least add more of a horror theme, but even that would still be fairly similar.

Farcaster
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Now that you mention it, Dark Sun is actually a great fit for the new points-of-light paradigm that Wizards wants to present with fourth edition. It's been forever since I have played Dark Sun, but I would love playing it again. It is just the sort of divergence from standard fantasy that I would really enjoy.

Gargs454
08-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Now that you mention it, Dark Sun is actually a great fit for the new points-of-light paradigm that Wizards wants to present with fourth edition. It's been forever since I have played Dark Sun, but I would love playing it again. It is just the sort of divergence from standard fantasy that I would really enjoy.

Aye, I hadn't really thought of it like that, but you're right, it does definitely qualify as a point of light setting, which no doubt played some role in its selection. As I said, I think it was a smart choice by Wizards, even if its unlikely that I'll play in it.

russdm
08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
as even I have to admit that there isn't much difference between FR, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Default, and even Eberron.

Are you nuts??? These campaign settings are all completely different. FR is high fantasy with everything but (and in seems cases with) the kitchen sink. Eberron is a mix of fantasy and cyberpunk, doing a good job of blending the two. Greyhawk is a more historical and fleshed out setting than the default, which is basically a clean slate. Dragonlance is fantasy with dragons being an annoying part and the gods interfere quite a bit.

Now i have never played ravenloft, but i do agree it may be an interesting one to have. I really don't know off the top of my head the names of the all the settings that got released; i know about FR, Eberron, Dark Sun (DS), Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Ravenloft, plus there supposed to be something call myst-something too.

Personally i don't see the need for them to release re-makes of all of the settings. With FR, Eberron, Dark Sun, I think they need only do Dragonlance plus maybe greyhawk or ravenloft. If they did all of those then i would think that would be enough since there is no real use to make a huge number of campaign settings without making them unique as the ones listed. Far too many seem to fall under the same area that is covered, and they don't need that.

I would love to see dragonlance come out, besides DS its the only one i am still waiting on.

Gargs454
08-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Certainly there are differences, but to me, most of those differences are like a different shade of paint on the wall.

I'll start with Eberron since admittedly, it is the most different of the ones I mentioned. Certainly it brings in some cyberpunk elements, but its an extremely light blend of cyberpunk with the "technology" really just being harnessing magic for the most part. Still though, I'll warrant that its the most different and certainly there are plenty of elements of Eberron that simply wouldn't feel at home in FR, Greyhawk or Dragonlance. Take away the Dragonmarks and the harnessing of elementals though and it wouldn't be too hard to fit Eberron into any of the other worlds.

As for FR, Greyhawk and Dragonlance, these are all really fairly standard fantasy worlds. Certainly there are some differences, running a FR adventure in Dragonlance for instance, wouldn't really require anything other than a name change or two. FR and Greyhawk are fairly standard medieval fantasy standards. Dragonlance is too with just the twist that dragons are a little more common. Even the "meddling" of the gods cannot be considered unique to Dragonlance as it certainly happens quite a bit in FR as well as plenty of other fantasy literature.

That's not to say that these are bad campaign worlds. On the contrary I like all of them quite a bit, and as I stated earlier I tend to prefer the more standard fantasy campaign for my D&D. Generally, if I want to go steam punk or Modern, etc. I'll play Shadowrun. So yeah, I think that most of the settings are fairly similar which is why I was glad that Dark Sun got chosen for the next setting, even though its highly unlikely I'll pick it up or play it.

Valdar
08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Has anyone heard or had a suspicion about what new races or classes would be introduced in Dark Sun? I'm hoping for another defender class- even though they say a balanced party of 5 should have two defenders, the game is still pretty light on them, with only one in each power source.

Gargs454
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
This is pure speculation but I would think some sort of psionic class will be present. There will likely be a psionic defender in PHB3, though again that is speculation on my part, but PHB 2 introduced a primal class for each role so I'm guessing PHB 3 will follow suit.

Valdar
08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah, PHB2 added one defender, but it also added three strikers, and the game was already striker-heavy (now there are four defenders and six strikers).

My party is also striker-heavy now as a result- we had three strikers in a party of five at one point, and I had to insist someone trade off.

Gargs454
08-26-2009, 06:43 PM
True, they've definitely been striker heavy so far. I think some of that is stemming from 3.x mentality where most classes were capable (if built right) to being akin to a striker. I think the thought is that a lot of people are going to want to get out there and inflict a lot of direct damage. Playing a Bard for instance, the contributions you provide are not always as obvious.

I certainly expect to see at least one more controller too since to date, there are only 3.

Ph0EnyX37
08-27-2009, 01:06 AM
The drips and drabs we've gotten so far seem to indicate that they're not putting a new class into DS as much as they're putting in a host of setting-specific adjustments for existing classes. I'd imagine the way all of the arcane and divine classes work in Dark Sun will be significantly different from the standard 4e mechanics. And I guess they figure if they have to completely overhaul 2 power sources, why not just rework everyone?