PDA

View Full Version : What's the craziest, most unusual, or coolest place you ever gamed?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM
What's the craziest, most unusual, or coolest place you ever gamed?

As always, all gaming genres welcomed to participate.

If one has played long enough, chances are you played either at a friends cool gaming basement, underground, or perhaps in the middle of the forest. These are just some examples.

For me, i have played in a cave for an Underdark adventure(DnD, obviously) and in a forest during a Black Forest adventure(WFRP-Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay). Both experiences really brought the feel to the gaming table, especially when it got dark in our forest in Virginia. We played all night and still talk about it to this day. That was 25 years ago. Where has the time gone? <Rolling Stones song comes to Thoth's mind. Here's a snippet: What a drag it is getting old. Ain't that the truth.

Where i don't count myself lucky, is that i have never played in a really cool gaming room designed for gaming only, as some of you have shared pictures of on this site, and others. Very cool. Very envious.

If you have pictures, then by all means, share them with the rest of us.

What share you?

Skunkape
08-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I've played in a movie theater (was friends with the manager and assistant manager of the theater and the assistant gamed), sporting arenas (couple of conventions were held there), college classrooms.

Beyond that, not too unusual as far as gaming places go.

cplmac
08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
In the middle of the desert of Saudi Arabia, while there with the Marines for Desert Shield and Desert Storm back in 1991. It was the first time that I played D&D (2E).

tesral
08-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Oddest place, the basement of the UM Chemistry building. Coolest place was a hotel conference suite that still has set the bar for my ideal gaming environment.

Etarnon
08-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Refereeing Traveller for 4 players aboard a Navy Guided Missile Cruiser in the Sonar Control Room, middle of the night, middle of the Pacific, 1989.

Skunkape
08-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Refereeing Traveller for 4 players aboard a Navy Guided Missile Cruiser in the Sonar Control Room, middle of the night, middle of the Pacific, 1989.

Our tax payers money at work!:laugh:

Seriously though, that's a cool place to run/play a game!:cool:

Oldgamer
08-14-2009, 05:41 PM
In the middle of the desert of Saudi Arabia, while there with the Marines for Desert Shield and Desert Storm back in 1991. It was the first time that I played D&D (2E).

I'd have to say the same, although it was 1E for me, I didn't get any 2E stuff until about the 93-95 time period after I got states side.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
All you military P&PG members are hero's in my book. Thanks for serving.

Arkhemedes
08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Coolest place I've gamed - in a cabin at a ski resort while on a ski trip in New Mexico. Oddest place - well, I haven't yet - but if Tamburlain has his wish, we may be gaming at an Irish pub in an artsy district of downtown Dallas. We'll see if that happens.

yukonhorror
08-14-2009, 05:55 PM

off topic, but I can see the RP games being good for developing team building skills and military tactics.
:focus:

never thought I'd play online, so that is pretty neat. always was the typical basement or rumpus room. but we had the best makeshift table. It was a chalkboard we found outside the school dumpster. So we could draw maps and stuff on the table. This was before the use of minis was a standard thing and grid maps were plentiful.

jade von delioch
08-15-2009, 08:00 AM
In the back of a bakery when i lived in Pittsburgh.

Oldgamer
08-15-2009, 11:34 AM

;) I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I would've resigned for Desert Storm 2 ... er ... I mean Operation Iraqi Freedom, except for my family commitments. Going back in would not pay my bills anymore like they did when I was in my late teens, early twenties. I made $754/month back then, but I looked at it like ... I get paid to blow things up, shoot at bad guys, and jump out of airplanes ... and then come home and look great in my dress blues!

cpljarhead
08-15-2009, 01:14 PM
i used to play on base at camp pendleton in the back room of the bowling alley. i was able to set up a local monthly gaming group that i ended up having to quit because of a magtf(marine air ground task force ) i volunteered for that went to the persian gulf in '88. played some on board the helo carrier i was on but not really enough time to play much. too busy.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
old gamer i gotta agree the dress blues was the best uniform of all the military and still is. OoohRaaah! Semper Fi!

Malruhn
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Here I was, thinking I'd win...

Back of an el Camino doing 95 down I-10... and a couple hours later I received a hummer in the same spot. I loved that road trip!!

In a vehicle making a mad dash cross-country in Northern Iraq back in 1991... we had 250 miles to go and nothing to do. No bad guys forecast, so we played.

I have to say that the Nonrate wins!! Etarnon!

CEBedford
08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
On my porch "camping" with three friends and playing DnD 2e right after a nasty hurricane. It was hot, humid and we played using flashlights but we had so much fun we didn't care. Then we fell over in our sleeping bags mid game and woke up to do it again all the next day.

cplmac
08-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I thought we all would of had it for gaming over in the desert, until my buddy Etarnon put up the post about the Sonar Room on a Guided Missile Cruiser out on the ocean.:hail:

Oldgamer
08-16-2009, 10:30 AM
On my porch "camping" with three friends and playing DnD 2e right after a nasty hurricane. It was hot, humid and we played using flashlights but we had so much fun we didn't care. Then we fell over in our sleeping bags mid game and woke up to do it again all the next day.

You had a hurricane in Michigan?

tesral
08-16-2009, 11:30 AM
The Hurricane season in Midland is not to be trifled with.

CEBedford
08-16-2009, 11:44 AM
You had a hurricane in Michigan?

Haha no. My dad was a marine and I moved a lot. The hurricane happened in North Carolina.

Haha. It's brutal.

Oldgamer
08-16-2009, 12:43 PM

What's funny about that is my mother lives in Cincinnati, Ohio and she got hit by the remnants of a hurricane that hit Texas last year. Even though it was not classified as a hurricane, she still got hurricane force winds and rain that knocked her power out for 3 days.

Dark
08-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I did ZM AFMBE with a Dawn of the Dead campaign in the Pittsfield Mall fun game shame most of the players died in the game.

CEBedford
08-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I did ZM AFMBE with a Dawn of the Dead campaign in the Pittsfield Mall fun game, and as can be expected most of the players died in the game.

Fixed that for ya. :biggrin:

Etarnon
08-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Even though it was not classified as a hurricane, she still got hurricane force winds and rain that knocked her power out for 3 days.

My wife and I lived in Dayton Last Year, when we got hit by that same one. There was a kid outside, playing with an RC car with his dad, the kid almost got blown away like a leaf in the wind. Weird, the only thing open was this donut place, only block that had lights for a few miles, that did sandwiches, coffee, and soup also. we ate there for four days, 2 mi from the house. People were beating each other up for flashlights at Walmart, before they closed that store.

We lost the chimney off our apartment, I assisted with tree logs cleanup in Miamisburg. One of the reasons we moved, was the underwhelming response by our building managers...but understandable. Still we moved to PGH a few months later.

But I was playing a wwII sub boardgame with my fried, Mtyree, just before this went down.

Skunkape
08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
;) I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I would've resigned for Desert Storm 2 ... er ... I mean Operation Iraqi Freedom, except for my family commitments. Going back in would not pay my bills anymore like they did when I was in my late teens, early twenties. I made $754/month back then, but I looked at it like ... I get paid to blow things up, shoot at bad guys, and jump out of airplanes ... and then come home and look great in my dress blues!

At that age, bet you didn't have the financial commitments you do these days back then either!

By the way, I'm glad we have people in the armed forces to protect U.S. freedom. I respect every soldier who has served! I looked at joining the Army, but my recruiter wouldn't cut me any deals, so I passed.

Oldgamer
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
At that age, bet you didn't have the financial commitments you do these days back then either!

You got that right, I was virtually bill-free. I only had cheap rent to pay and a cheap car payment on my wife's car, probably $500/month for both. She didn't live on base, she lived in an apt near her mom in Fl while I was at Basic and when deployed. Between her job and my military pay, we did pretty good. I couldn't afford that life now. Mortgage is a helluva lot higher than what I was paying for rent and so is the car payment and others, I'd have to go in at probably a Major's rank (or higher!) to make my bills now. The govt. can't put a hold on all payments like they tell you in the recruiter's office :biggrin:

James Ruglia
08-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Coolest place was a hotel conference suite that still has set the bar for my ideal gaming environment.

Yeah, as fun as playing in a forest or cave sounds, I have to go with that one.

templeorder
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
I'll name 2 places, one funny and one odd.
The funniest place i ever gamed was the back of math class in high school. did it all too often...

The strangest place i ever "did it" in would be a supply closet. Me and a friend would take a "break" and game in a supply closet at a company we worked for during the day for one summer. It was a machine shop, so the rest of the crew was pretty red-neck and narrow minded, so we had to hide. I can only imagine what it may have looked like, but we never were caught in the act.

cplmac
08-18-2009, 11:49 AM

We lost the chimney off our apartment, I assisted with tree logs cleanup in Miamisburg. One of the reasons we moved, was the underwhelming response by our building managers...but understandable. Still we moved to PGH a few months later...

So, our Tsojcanth group has Mother Nature to thank for bringing you to us.

:focus:Actually, where we meet to game is nice. Our game sessions hosts have this huge table in their basement room that is large enough to accomodate the large number of people in our group.

traesin
09-03-2009, 05:07 AM

Oh yea. I love a man in uniform.:eyebrows:

I played in a local comunity center. we'd have the whole building to oursleves. I best was when the whole group including the dm lived together in a 5 bedroom townhouse. We'd get up, go to work, come home and game till it was time to go to bed six days a week. The seventh was for console gameing. :) I wierdest for me was when a couple of us would play while delivering newspapers. We had dice and a mini copy of our characters.

wbrandel
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I lived on a farm back when I was growing up and we would meet in the barn behind the house (we were to loud to play in the house). We would set up our table in the hay loft on a bale of hay (hay bales were also our chairs). Our only light in the barn came from electric lamps that resembled the old kerosene lamps, it was great (this was OD&D and AD&D 1).

WhiteTiger
09-03-2009, 04:07 PM
I lived on a farm back when I was growing up and we would meet in the barn behind the house (we were to loud to play in the house). We would set up our table in the hay loft on a bale of hay (hay bales were also our chairs). Our only light in the barn came from electric lamps that resembled the old kerosene lamps, it was great (this was OD&D and AD&D 1).

That would be awesome, I wouldn't mind doing something like that now just for nostalgia sake. I wish I had a cool location to mention but it was always someone's house or at a university common room.. nuthin special.

Harwel
09-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Top of a small mountain in Pennsylvania (Mt. Penn).

cplmac
09-04-2009, 08:41 PM

All places in Pennsylvania are cool places to game.:cool:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-05-2009, 10:25 AM

That does sound like great fun.

XeroDrift
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
This is going to sound like total crap, but I swear its true.
A couple of miles from my neighborhood when I was a kid there was a derelict mental hospital into which my friends and I would sneak to play and jack around. After a long while, the novelty wore off and our incursions became infrequent. However, this secret spot was suddenly exciting and relevant again when I started gaming in my early teens, I took my buddies one day and thereafter we rarely met anywhere else.

michael
10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Mine was in forward gunnery on USS Normandy.

Valdar
10-07-2009, 01:11 AM
At a friend's apartment while studying abroad in Perugia, Italy. I was the only native English speaker. The other players were from France, Sweden, and Bosnia. We were playing GURPS Space- I'd found a copy of the rulebook (in Italian, naturally) at the local hobby shop...

malchya
05-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Aboard a 37' Valiant sloop anchored in the lee of Cenotaph Island, Lituya Bay, AK while 50' seas pounded the coast outside and sustained 65 knot winds with gusts to above 80 lay us over on our beam ends. I was running FGU's Privateers and Gentlemen for the other two members of the crew. The game's flow was somewhat choppy as I had to go on deck and take bearings and check the ground tackle every half hour or so...

ARMarcoux
08-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow when I read the topic I couldn't help but remember that old Tom Hanks movie called Mazes and Monsters which was based off of early DnD players and this one kid (played by Tom Hanks) loses it and thinks he is "in the game". Point is, he ends up playing for 'real' in some abandoned mines.

Coolest place that I WANT to play is on Lovell's Island which is a State Park in Boston Harbor which has some old ruined WW2 bunkers on it. I go there for vacations once a year but the friends I go with aren't really gamers. =(

Reading what some of you have posted though I recall roleplaying while driving the entire 2-3 day trip from Florida to Massachusetts in the front of a U-haul truck (yes we were as safe as one can expect). ;)

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
cpl...
Yeah. I was about to say, I played in the 'stan. during a dust storm in Kandahar.

Dytrrnikl
09-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Not true...particularly if you live in the Blandon or Temple area of PA, just North of Reading...San Giorgio Mushroom plant on Blandon-Fleetwood road will make you gag!!!

As for the OP, two places come to mind...

The Power Dam on the Appalachian Trail in the Blue Mountain region (PA); and...

to quote Harwell "Top of a small mountain in Pennsylvania (Mt. Penn)."

templeorder
09-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Seedskadee Wildlife refuge in Wyoming + a camping spot in the Wind River Range, after 15 mile hike and a spot of fly fishing... you can tell we were game junkies, taking it with us (not sure its really changed that much!)

Etarnon
09-28-2010, 10:53 AM
I vote for Alaska Squall / Small boat.

+5

And I did derive "Etarnon" from Nonrate, since I drew out and developed the "Land of Etarnon" Campaign in 1984, when I was a Non-Rated E-1 sailor in the Navy. Later I got my Torpeodoman's Mate "Rating"

But I liked the Campaign and the name "Etarnon", and I've had it for 26 years.

cplmac
09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I vote for Alaska Squall / Small boat.

+5

And I did derive "Etarnon" from Nonrate, since I drew out and developed the "Land of Etarnon" Campaign in 1984, when I was a Non-Rated E-1 sailor in the Navy. Later I got my Torpeodoman's Mate "Rating"

But I liked the Campaign and the name "Etarnon", and I've had it for 26 years.

Ah Ha! We will have to pester you mercilessly until you run the "Land of Etarnon" campaign for the Monroeville Tsojcanth group.:biggrin: Of course this would be after your Conspiracy X game. Guess I should go post this on Grey Realms now.

Ironhead
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I think we hit most of the cliches; isolated cabin/clubhouse, out in the woods, two seperate basement/gamerooms on a pooltable in each. None of the locations were very spectacular, but two were cool. One of the basement/pooltable settings had a cobblestone floor and aged timbers from an old mine so it had a very nice atmosphere to it. The second is another basement where we converted an old coal bin into our gaming corner, with an old door filling in as our table. By candlelight it had a great feel to it. As you can probably tell from what I've already said, I'm really into the atmosphere where we set up to play. One thing I wish we had done, but never did was play by firelight at our old cabin. The place had an old furnace that we'd sometimes leave the door open on and sit around to drink and talk. The whole central room would look like one of the old tavern's described in Robert E. Howard's Conan stories.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-01-2010, 02:25 PM
When I was a kid, my brother and I - and a few friends - all played in the back of a Blazer while on an 8 hour driving trip (late 70's). It's the only thing (the game) that kept us sane in the confined space for so long.

It's not the craziest of stories, but after that experience, all the parents that found out introduced their kids to dnd - if for no other reason than to keep us calm on long car rides.

Having military parents was cool. They never got caught up on that devilry nonsense that was going around at that time.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

One thing I wish we had done, but never did was play by firelight at our old cabin. The place had an old furnace that we'd sometimes leave the door open on and sit around to drink and talk. The whole central room would look like one of the old tavern's described in Robert E. Howard's Conan stories.

I'd love to play in an old tavern as described in Robert E. Howard's Conan stories. I think that if i ever come into an incredible amount of money, I'd build just such a gaming tavern. I even know how I'd design it.

cplmac
10-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Thoth, if you need a place to build it, you can put it up in the woods on our hill here.

tesral
10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I'd love to play in an old tavern as described in Robert E. Howard's Conan stories. I think that if i ever come into an incredible amount of money, I'd build just such a gaming tavern. I even know how I'd design it.

You and me both. I'm working on getting my game room somewhat like that. As much as the smalls space allows.