PDA

View Full Version : How far do you commute to your campaign locations(real life, not in game)?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
How far do you, or have you commuted to your campaign location(real life, not in game)?

While enjoying reading the responses to my other thread,"How do you begin your campaigns( http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12037 )," This thread epiphany begged to be created.

As always, all gaming genres welcomed to participate.

So everyone, let's tackle this thread with two questions to choose from, or just answer both-even better.

1) How far do you commute to your campaign location?

2) What's the farthest you've commuted to try out a game?

My answers:

1) My typical drive time is 30 minutes. Longest commute time for me was an hour, each way. That was cool, though. I lived in southern California so an hour was a blink of an eye in time.

2) I once drove over 2 hours to try out a game i was curious about. I knew that it had to be damn good for me to do this on any regular kind of basis, but it was cool, just the same.

What share you?

outrider
08-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Its 85 miles to my face to face game in santa cruz county. I moved from there about two years ago. I have players who also commute in to the game from salinas and san jose about 25 miles and 50 miles. We do the game every other sunday.

Thats as far as I have driven ever for a game.

Skunkape
08-13-2009, 07:13 AM
When I lived in Miami, at one time I commuted 45 minutes to an hour one or more times a week, to game with the group I belonged to. We'd also take hour long runs to a gaming club in Lauderdale on occasion. Oh and it was expressway travel most of the way, so that gives you a general idea of the distance.

Now, I travel maybe 30 minutes to a game, about 1/4 the distance that I used to travel.

WhiteTiger
08-13-2009, 08:26 AM
It's about 35 miles for me which is about all I can stand. Thankfully, it's mostly interstate so it doesn't take too long.

cplmac
08-13-2009, 09:13 AM
According to what is shown on the site, I am 32 miles from where our group meets in Monroeville. It is most likely a mile or so longer than that. Time wise, it takes between 30 and 40 minutes for me to get there, depending on traffic and construction.

This is also the farthest that I have traveled to game. Our group meets here since it is centrally located for the members and it is convenient for our hosts, since they don't have to get a sitter for the kids.

Fersboo
08-13-2009, 09:51 AM
I'd like to have a commute of 0! :biggrin:

Living in the Baltimore DC corridor, commute times are generally longer than mileage would indicte. I've got a group about 40 miles away that takes an hour that we play both Battletech and Mechwarrior. A new meetup group for RPGs has formed at the local game store which is about 30 miles away and takes roughly 40 minutes to get to. I also play Battletech irregularly at the local game store.

If I got into Warhammer miniatures (I love Warhammer RPG), I could go to about a half dozen local game stores including the North American HQ for GW, all within about 30 miles or more.

I don't mind about 30 minutes or so for commuting, but would prefer closer to home. In my younger days I'd probably would have commutted for a game farther, but it never seemed to be an issue finding groups.

tesral
08-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Saturday Game is at my house, 0 miles.

The Friday game is at Oakland University 35 miles one way, anything from 40 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the time of day and traffic.

Etarnon
08-14-2009, 02:21 AM
anywhere from 2 miles to 50 miles. Multiple games per week.

wbrandel
08-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Saturday Game is at my house, 0 miles

Jeez are you lucky in that. I travel 25.3 miles to my game, and it takes me about 30 minutes. However the game can't start till I get there (it's good to be the DM)

yukonhorror
08-14-2009, 11:14 AM
now that I am online, from my couch to my desk.

When I was live, the game was in a very small town, so it was 3 miles at most.

Dimthar
08-14-2009, 04:36 PM
15 Miles ....

Perhaps this thread belongs to the "General Chatter" since I don't think the question is addressed to "Fantasy Campaigns" only.

:)

A Poll will also help.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, General Chatter refers to anything not rpg related. This relates, so, now you know why i put it here.

cplmac
08-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Of course, someone could always post this question in the forums of the other game types also.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I thought about it as well as thought about running the same questions under the different gaming genres, but all everyone would see is the same question repeated under new posts, again, and again, and again.

I will be the first to admit perhaps i'm wrong about this, and if so, anyone here is welcome to repeat my threads under the different rpg genre's. I'm completely cool with it. If you do it, let me know, and i will update my specific thread to relate to fantasy only. Yea, i'm pretty cool. Must be because i live in the dark places of the world and have no heart-beat.

MortonStromgal
08-14-2009, 10:26 PM
A couple blocks from work... Then maybe 2 miles home.

Oldgamer
08-15-2009, 11:42 AM
On average, I'd say that when I do play f2f, I drive about 20 miles to Lakeland. Which is where the majority of players nearest me live.

cpljarhead
08-15-2009, 01:05 PM
i had at one time gone an hour in travel time but now i tend to keep it around 30 imn travel which is where i play with the current group and on accassion it was 0 travel because we used my house (only when we played my campaign because the regular dm was unable to play). for the most part over the last 3 years the game was about 2-3 blocks from home. i did however once when i was in california i went from camp pendleton to san diego to a gaming convention (local one there) but that was the farthest i went.

James Ruglia
08-23-2009, 05:18 PM
... Geez. I wouldn't mind playing the game at my house <.<.

I could understand a 40~ minute trip to the University about 15-20 miles away, and I'd only go that far because I understand that it would be at or around a university that many players/potential players would gravitate. Otherwise it'd have to be a magical game where the Dungeon Master is patient, pleasant, fair, and creative, who caters the campaign around ultimately giving the players what they want and work for, with a clean, sizeable, and orderly home and the players are all mature non-cursing non-smoking adults who are out to have a fun game, and the group included females.

Yeah, right.

I've got to learn a better way to get to the UofA...

CEBedford
08-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Now I can officially answer this thread. 2 miles. It's arduous!

traesin
08-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Now.?. no f2f. I don't have time. sigh. The longest....3 hrs on mass transit and a half hour walking one way. you can imagine how wonderful that trip was. the best was the way home at midnight.

Harwel
08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Anywhere from a half mile to about 8 miles. 15-20 miles is no problem, but not needed right now. I'm only about 15 miles from Seattle, so I doubt farther than 15 miles would ever become necessary.

-Crash-
08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Games I've played have taken me all over the chicagoland area, but I'm lucky to kinda be right in the middle, not to far south, north, west or east, but the longest trip to a game was about 30 minutes down in Oak Park, 294 had construction that day, and it was in the dead of winter. I guess I'm willing to travel further, that just happened to be the furthest one away.

templeorder
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
1) How far do you commute to your campaign location?
Most of them are held at my house with the sweet basement lair, so zero! But, otherwise they are within 15 miles as the crow flies, 30 miles drive tops. I used to go 80+ miles for a regular campaign (but stayed the night) every 2 weeks.

2) What's the farthest you've commuted to try out a game?
80-90 miles.

traesin
08-28-2009, 03:50 AM
there was the time it took me an hour to go 15miles to a game. It was 9pm at night during a snowstorm. I got to pass a snowplow on a 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere with the wind blowing the snow around nicely. Had to pull over twice to clean off my wiper blades so that I could see out the windshield. Then 4 hours later I drove back though the storm to go home.

tesral
08-28-2009, 12:37 PM
there was the time it took me an hour to go 15miles to a game. It was 9pm at night during a snowstorm. I got to pass a snowplow on a 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere with the wind blowing the snow around nicely. Had to pull over twice to clean off my wiper blades so that I could see out the windshield. Then 4 hours later I drove back though the storm to go home.

Gamers are crazy, it's that simple.

Hoitash
08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I think dedicated is another way to put it. But outsider's probably won't make the distinction :)

michael
08-28-2009, 01:48 PM
3 hours for a Napoleonics battle. We got so drunk we didn't even finish the game. We all had "field hats" that we wore to go to the bar and do shots after each round of turns.

tesral
08-29-2009, 11:39 PM
3 hours for a Napoleonics battle. We got so drunk we didn't even finish the game. We all had "field hats" that we wore to go to the bar and do shots after each round of turns.

That's a short one.

Bearfoot_Adam
08-30-2009, 12:56 AM
hour and a half, but that wasn't a regular game just when we could get in and game.

Baldwin Stonewood
09-12-2009, 06:47 AM
One player lives about 10 houses away from me, and we commute a whole mile to another gamers house. I'm lucky, we have great group that is convenient.

Stabbity
09-15-2009, 09:43 AM
One player lives about 10 houses away from me, and we commute a whole mile to another gamers house. I'm lucky, we have great group that is convenient.

thats too far we should start playing at our houses:lol:

shilar
09-15-2009, 10:30 PM
1)no f2f right now but the usually never more than 30 min
2)45 minutes but that group just didn't work out the DM was a railroader and I hate that
(I know there wasn't a three but I'm adding it)
3)if my new game gets off the ground 0 miles actual light-years in certain terms as our gaming room will be through a stargate from my secondlife home

XeroDrift
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Due to a recent move my commute is about an hour each way (was about 15 to 20 minutes). A new group I've started with is an hour and a half away (93 miles, yikes!) prodigious, but they are much better than anyone else I play with, so it's worth it.

tesral
10-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Due to a recent move my commute is about an hour each way (was about 15 to 20 minutes). A new group I've started with is an hour and a half away (93 miles, yikes!) prodigious, but they are much better than anyone else I play with, so it's worth it.

That living in Texas. It's not that Texas has more of anything, they just put more miles between things.

TheYeti1775
10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
My last group, 2hrs one way.
The group is closer to my work than they are to my house.
Getting home at 1-2am during the middle of the week was killing me.