PDA

View Full Version : Player Questionnaire

DMMike
08-12-2009, 12:40 PM
PnPG has a pretty thorough list of campaign questions for players to use to decide if they want to inquire about a game, but there's a set of questions that would go one step further to determine if a player would be happy in a given game.

For example:
What's your preferred level of magic?
a) High
b) Standard
c) Low
d) Not important

or

How fast do you like to progress in levels?
a) Every 1-3 games
b) Every 3-6 games
c) Slower than that
d) Not important

What are some other questions that players would like answered, and that DMs can use to tailor their games?

Skunkape
08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't ask those kinds of questions in my player questionaires. What I do is ask the player to give me information about their character, so that I can plan the campaign accordingly.

For instance, I ask the player about the character's family. How many siblings? Other family members dead or alive? Is/was it a close family? How did the character feel about their siblings? How did their siblings feel about their character?

Did they have any pets?

What was the name of their favorite drinking hole?

Stuff like that. In fact, my questionaire is 69 main questions long with some sub-questions as well.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
1) Religious restrictions? My games have no real bounds. Very dark and gritty stuff.

2) Can you check your religion &/or politics at the door? If you can't i will throw you out. I've done it, BTW. Once for preaching, and the other for president bashing. Christianity does NOT exist in my game, and neither do Presidents!

3) This one is rarely asked unless suspicions are aroused. Are you a mooch? I don't mind others eating food, but to come in and eat everything and not contribute will get you kicked out quick quick, as the Skaven would say. This happened once, BTW.

4) How often can you/do you want to play?
a) Multiple times a week.
b) Weekly
c) Bi-monthly
d) Every 3 weeks
e) Once a month.

I typically don't play in games that go beyond every 3rd week.

5) How long do you prefer to play gaming sessions?
a) 4-5 hours.
b) 5-6 hours.
c) 6-7 hours.
d) 7-8 hours.
e) Marathon (more than 8 hours per gaming session)

I rarely do more than 8 hours and only under special circumstances.

6) If a game is going well, can you stay for a bit of overtime gaming?

All i can think of at this time.

DMMike
08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Did they have any pets?

What was the name of their favorite drinking hole?

So that you can insert a ghoul-touched animal?
That is haunting the favorite tavern?

TA, that religious question looks like a good idea. Hard to fight really evil bad-guys if you can't make your bad-guys really evil.

Skunkape
08-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Your interest in religion reminded me that I ask the players to rate their character's devotion to their deity, if they follow one, from 1 to 10.

See in my world, the deities have certain rules that they must follow and one of the rules is that they can't directly influence the follower of another deity, without said deity's permission. Hence all my players follow at least one of the deities in my campaign world.

My previous campaign dealt with the players stopping an very long lived, powerful evil character from awakening a god-like being, who had not ascended to godhood. They didn't stop the god-like being from waking up, but they did perform a ritual that ascended him to godhood.