PDA

View Full Version : A member requests our help

cplmac
08-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I placed a copy of Kinneroth's problem here so that the members of our beloved site can give some answers. In an email to Kinneroth I already supplied the answer to the point that the information in the books are more to be considered as guidelines and that certain situations may not be covered and the DM can make thier own decission as to how to deal with it.

Kinneroth asks, "Assistance please"

I'm playing in a game once a week with a few friends. The DM is rather new and I've been trying to help where I can, since I run my own campaign on occasions. I'm posting here seeking some help on a dilemma.

The Ninja's Great Leap ability says that they are treated as running, and as having the run feat for those purposes. One of the players is playing a ninja scout and has a base land speed of 50. He seems to think that he gets the jump modifiers of 5X his movement speed when he jumps. Every time any of us with experience try to tell him the difference between a full round, which is what a run action is, and a move action, which is what a jump is, he points to that one sentence like it's the answer to everything.

The only reason I'm posting this question here, is that he won't believe anything we say without something in writing to back it up. So please, help me. Even just an email with an explanation would be very helpful.

Ishcumbeebeeda
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
But doesn't the phrase "treated as running" mean that even if he isn't actually running he's still treated as though he were? In other words, he gets the benefit of running without having to do so.... at least that's what it seems to be saying to me. In which case, he would be correct in that even if he isn't running he gets to jump as if he were.

XeroDrift
09-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Just use common sense, yes its a fantasy game, not a ridiculous game. The guy obviously knows what was intended by the ability, he's just looking for loopholes, which is, in and of itself, contrary to the spirit of the game.
(plus, the guy must watch a lot of anime)