PDA

View Full Version : Leadership Aura

DMMike
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
I got the Leadership Aura concept from Tome of Battle, which also appears in the Miniatures Handbook. My version goes like this:

Characters with a CHA bonus of +1 or greater, and who have willing followers, qualify for a leadership aura which grants a bonus to a specific roll to all followers within 30 feet.

The higher the Leadership score (level plus CHA bonus), the better the aura. Since it's an extraordinary power, it's generally one step below a bardsong in power.

Has anyone had any luck with the leadership aura? I think of it as an incentive for PCs to elect a party leader, but most PCs I've seen are a little too independent for that sort of thing. Their loss, really, because they'll wish they had a leader when an ogre mage commands his "loyal" ogre warriors to form a semi-circle around him, conveniently within the bounds of his inspiring aura...
:wacko: ....:nod: ... :wacko:
..:wacko::wacko: . :wacko::wacko:
......:wacko::wacko:

cigamnogard
08-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I have never heard of this is it a feat?

DMMike
08-11-2009, 01:38 AM
Leadership's a feat, the aura is a game mechanic. It's supposed to naturally happen for leaders. Kind of like a morale bonus. I think it's very common in the miniatures game, but overlooked by the role players.

cigamnogard
08-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Yes, I know leaderhip is a feat but this aura - I, frankly, have never heard of.

DMMike
08-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Anyone want to dream up some bonuses for this? Heroes of Battle makes some pretty lame suggestions, like +2 damage when battling goblins, +1 to attack when fighting Animals.

The benefit from having an effective leader should apply to general combat, shouldn't it? That would involve attack, damage, AC, saves, and maybe initiative. What about physical ability bonuses at higher levels? At any rate, the aura should probably be minimal before a PC takes the leadership feat, and it should be weaker than most class abilities, to prevent the leader-character from getting an unfair advantage.

+1 on saves vs. charm and fear to start?

outrider
08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
the idea is nice. Definitely should aid in morale, maybe a bonus to hit or ac but not all of them. Possibly one thing per round would be fine. one round a morale bonus, next round ac bonus etc

nijineko
08-27-2009, 02:15 PM
an aura is a class ability of the following: marshall base class from the miniatures handbook, the crusader base class from the tome of battle book, the divine mind base class from the complete psionic, the dragon shaman base class from the phb2, the dragon lord prestige from dragon magic, the singer of concordance prestige from the races of the dragon, and the draconic aura feat from races of the dragon.

i don't think i missed any, but there may be one or more here or there. ^^

they all function pretty much the same way. you gain a special effect or effects, and the aura affects allies within a certain area, granting the same or lesser effects to the allies. at higher levels there are ways of gaining the effects of multiple auras simultaneously, depending on which method you are using to gain the aura ability.

DMMike
08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
the idea is nice. Definitely should aid in morale, maybe a bonus to hit or ac but not all of them. Possibly one thing per round would be fine. one round a morale bonus, next round ac bonus etc

I was going off Inspire Courage...which is +1 to attack, damage, and the two saves I mentioned earlier. I'd hate to add a different bonus each round, but that gives me another idea for the low-level aura:

+1 morale bonus to attack in any round that the leader scores a hit.

Could do the same thing for defense.

cigamnogard
08-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Then why have a bard?

DMMike
08-29-2009, 08:39 PM
A bard is like a rogue gone support. Take away the backstab, add some benevolent spells. I want the leadership aura to be a watered down Inspire Courage, so that there's a benefit to having a party leader, but not one that renders bardsongs useless.

I like the "bonus when leader scores a hit" idea...it's kind of like a baseball crowd rallying when someone hits a double or triple. A bard could still improve on that since Inspire Courage is better, but maybe a leadership aura frees the bard up to cast an extra spell, or Use Magic Device. Or just sing "he bravely ran away..."

michael
08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
What about giving the PCs a bonus for tactics or phalanx bonus?

Maybe a morale check if the "Leader" falls?

Maybe give opponents w/o a leader a morale penalty?

DMMike
08-30-2009, 10:42 AM
My take (obviously):
Tactics and phalanx bonus are already built into the combat rules.

Morale check if the leader falls - great idea. Funny that wasn't mentioned in HoB.

Leaderless penalty - that's just cruel. I'd say that the lack of an aura is penalty enough.

By the way, for those who don't know about morale checks, when you lose half your hit points or half your party, you make a will save DC 20. If you fail, you become Shaken. If you fail epically(?), or again, you become frightened. Then panicked.

cigamnogard
08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
My take (obviously):

By the way, for those who don't know about morale checks, when you lose half your hit points or half your party, you make a will save DC 20. If you fail, you become Shaken. If you fail epically(?), or again, you become frightened. Then panicked.

What! Where is this rule?

nijineko
08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
i gather that they are making custom variants. if you want the actual rules, go look up the list of classes/feats and sources i posted in an earlier post. each class/feat explains how the rules work for that class.

cigamnogard
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
There is a phalanx rule in the Complete Warrior.
As, for bards I liken them to 'bandsmen' employed throughout history:
The Mongels - drums
The French (Napoleonic Wars - pas de charge [drums])
Highlanders - bagpipes

DMMike
09-13-2009, 10:04 AM
What about the guy in Monty Python and the Holy Grail? I think I started singing his song earlier in this thread.

What about a progression of bonuses, as the aura gets stronger...
1st: +1 fear save
2nd: +1 vs charm
3rd: +1 Will
4th: +1 damage
5th: +1 temporary hit point
6th: +1 attack rolls...repeat as necessary.

BTW, core rules provide some good phalanx mechanics...
prevention of flanks
overrun (improved?)
a phalanx soldier could be fighter instead of warrior
aid another
not to mention the DM's little mentioned +2 situational modifier to anything that seems helpful.