PDA

View Full Version : Selling my 80's D&D stuff...lots of it

ChaunceyK
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Who am I kidding? Its all been sitting in a box for over 15 years, and I can't find any local players. I'll never play again. Plus, my wife & I are expecting triplets and its just taking up space, so its just time to get rid of it all.

Opinions...should I post it on Ebay as one giant lot, or should I just take offers right here? I don't like Ebay because they take such a big cut of the selling price and the listing price, and then charge you to accept a PayPal payment. I mean, the point IS for me just to get rid of this stuff, but I don't want to end up with a pittance for the trouble of listing it all, packing it, and shipping it, while Ebay walks away with a good chunk of what I should be getting.

I've got modules, full sets, and even a D&D Gazetteer. Most is in great shape. I'll be posting it all here as I go through it.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Here's everything I've got. I tried to be as accurate as possible by thumbing through everything, but I could still have missed something...

AC1 9100
The Shady Dragon Inn
(cover is a little worn, contents are excellent)

AC3 9121
3-D Titles featuring The Kidnapping of Princess Arelina
(excellent condition, a very small number of character tiles have been cut out & are missing)

AC6 9037
Player Character Record Sheets
(cover only, no sheets. front cover excellent, back cover has pen marks)

AC7 9156
The Spindle of Heaven
(excellent, module only, no cover)

AC10 9211
Bestiary of Dragons and Giants
(excellent, looks complete)

CM5 9154
Mystery of the Snow Pearls
(very good but does show its age)

CM6 9158
Where Chaos Reigns
(back cover is worn, front cover & contents excellent)

CM8 9192
The Endless Stair
(front cover slightly worn, has some yellow highlighted paragraphs, looks complete)

GAZ7 9230
Gazetteer:The Northern Reaches
(cover is excellent, contents are near mint)

M1 9159
Into The Maelstrom

M2 9148
Vengeance of Alphaks

?? 1019
Battle System: Fantasy Combat Supplement
(cover is a little worn, contents are excellent)

X1 9043
The Isle of Dread
(excellent, but does have writing in pencil through pages, writing in ink on maps, and highlighted paragraphs throughout, still completely usable)

X5 9069
Temple of Death
(cover slightly worn, contents excellent with some pink/blue highlighted paragraphs)

X9 9129
The Savage Coast
(excellent)

X10 9160
Red Arrow, Black Shield
(excellent, has some writing in pencil)

X11 9165
Saga of the Shadow Lord
(near mint)

X13 9218
Crown of Ancient Glory
(cover is dog-eared, contents excellent)

XS2 9157
Thunderdelve Mountain
(cover is a little worn, contents have some writing in pencil & a touch of writing in ink & some age stains, still completely usable)

D&D Players Manual & DM Rulebook (red covers with red dragon, 1983)
(pages torn & taped back together, pieces missing)

D&D Expert Rulebook (blue cover, 1983)
(pages torn & taped back together, pieces missing)

D&D Players Companion: Book One & DMs Companion: Book Two (aqua-green covers with green dragon, 1984)
(covers a little worn, contents excellent)

D&D Set 4: Master Rules (complete black box set)
(very good overall)

D&D Set 5: Immortals Rules (complete champagne/gold box set)
(box is heavily broken, contents are excellent)

...and I've also got some random maps that I can't figure out what they go to. One is a giant full-color hex map of what looks like a continent.

Fersboo
08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I wish I could take it off your hands, but the funds aren't available. Depending on how big a hurry you are in, I'd keep it listed here and see if any one nibbles. Offer it by the whole thing but settle for selling it piece by piece if no one bites. It might also be good to give everyone about how much you are looking for.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm interested. PM me the amount it would take to have these priceless artifacts torn from your grasp, ChaunceyK.

If you choose to sell on Ebay, selling the whole lot may net you more, at least the headache of selling in one large lot over individual sales will be better.

cplmac
08-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I would think that if you dealt with someone here personally, you would not have to deal with all the fees of Ebay. Also, if you sell it as one whole lot, that would make it easier and take less time. Good luck.

ChaunceyK
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Been a busy couple weeks since I posted this. Is there a website that shows exactly what each module should contain, so I can piece together some of the loose bits & give a more accurate account of which ones are complete & which ones have specific items missing?

Thank you.

cplmac
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
You could always check the archives section of WOTC. See what is listed there for what is included in the module or item and possible what a price might be.

ChaunceyK
08-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the tip. Their product archive doesn't seem to go back that far, though. And when I tried to get into their Forums to ask around, it said...

Wizards Community website is down for a platform migration.

...not your fault, I know. It was a good suggestion. Any other sites perhaps?

Freejack
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
You can check the rpg.net index (http://index.rpg.net/). It might help make sure it's all complete.

You can also try Noble Knight. They'll pay you for your books or you can get more in shop credits if you're still playing but newer games.

Carl

Pellinore
08-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Ebay has fees. Ebay also gives you a larger target consumer pool. Selling individually will get you more cash but will take longer.

nijineko
08-26-2009, 06:40 PM
if i had the funds i would offer. has anyone checked out the acaeum (http://www.acaeum.com/)? they have current listing of the current market value of just about everything old d&d. plus, their list is one of the most complete i've seen. ^^

ChaunceyK
08-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Looks as though I may ask Noble Knight to make an offer & then compare it to Acaeum's price listings. I realize NK will just re-sell my stuff at a higher price, but...

a) I'll be getting my $$ all at once without waiting for each individual piece to sell.
b) As much as I'd like to get top dollar for everything, I have to be realistic & just get rid of it all.

I'll post the offers I get from NK, and if anyone here wants to beat one or more of NK's offers for any module(s), I'll gladly take them.

nijineko
08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
sounds eminently fair and reasonable. glad you found that site useful! =D

ChaunceyK
08-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Surprisingly (to me, anyway) I got a reply from NK already. $125 cash or $155 store credit. He did mention however...

"That is assuming the items are complete except where noted. Some things you might want to check, does Mystery of the Snow Pearls have the little red view finder, does Red Arrow, Black Shield have the counters, Bestiary of Dragons and Giants have the combat wheel, Northern Reaches have the standups (and I believe it comes with a map)? These items would still have value without those, and there are some other items with inserts, but those are the most important ones."

...and quite honestly, I don't know if I want to go through everything again & verify these things. I figure with roughly 20 mods, it comes out to about $6 each cash. Advice? Should I just take it, given my circumstances? More importantly, if you were all in my shoes, would you take it?

Thank you to all who've helped.

Etarnon
08-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Seems like what you have is a relatively complete set of boxed sets of original (But later revisions) of D&D, used, but highlighted and marked up, plus some modules in same to better condition.

You don't know if they are complete.

I'd say 150 is a very good price.

Putting them on ebay, I'd expect to get 120 or so, if that, on a good day.

I myself am chock full of old D&D plus spares, and lately I'm running 3.5 D&D, with an ongoing conspiracy X game. or I'd make you an offer.

If you need their store credit, meh that's okay, but you'd be paying full price. 125.00 is a pretty good offer, cash wise.

I would get some kind of an agreement that after you ship and it's there give them a few days to evaluate it and pay...otherwise they could hold it forever, while they "Decide" how much it is worth. they then part it out on ebay and give you the difference...down the road.

If I was doing it, I'd part it out on Ebay, purring the D&D red, comp, etc boxes together and the modules seperate. but I run an Ebay store.

Good luck.

Freejack
08-27-2009, 05:41 PM
And don't forget, the $125 is assuming the items are complete as noted. It's still worth money but I wouldn't expect the $125 without them.

As a rule of thumb, when I'm looking for gear, I'm estimating $5 for modules (not counting rares) and $10 to $15 for books, so it sounds like a reasonable offer, again assuming completeness.

Carl

ChaunceyK
08-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the input, all. Seems like I'm getting alot of "I'd like to buy them, but now's not a good time" replies on here, which is fine. And it also sounds like the general consensus is that I'm being offered a fair enough price. Like I said earlier, why sell for a higher price on Ebay if their cut is just gonna bring my net profit down anyway?

So while digging out my 4e Halfling Rogue stuff from last year (I just found a group to play with again, YAY!!), I found even more modules. I'll be listing them either tonight or tomorrow.

ChaunceyK
08-31-2009, 05:49 PM
...or a few days later. :D So here they are...

AC9 9173
Dungeons & Dragons Creature Catalog
spine shows some wear, contents are mint

O2 9108
Blade of Vengeance
excellent condition, couple inserts missing

?? ????
TSR Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules
cover is red with what looks like a sorceress & fighter facing a green dragon in an underground sewer.
cover shows some where, contents excellent, 3-hole punched

XSOLO 9082
Lathan's Gold
some kind of stain on back cover, very good condition

?? 2001
Dungeons & Dragons
blue cover, inside states "3rd Edition, December 1979"
all around very good condition

M2 9060
Maze of the Riddling Minotaur
very good condition, but being an invisible ink book it HAS been used

PHBR6 2124
AD&D 2nd Edition: Complete Book of Dwarves
near mint

B1-9 9190
In Search of Adventure
back cover is cleanly torn off, some pages have been completely torn out (but are included loose), book has some pencil writing in it

...so if anyone wants to buy anything I have here, speak now or forever know you can buy it from NobleKnight.com when I sell it to them. :)

cplmac
09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Chauncey, I would love to be able to get that 2E Complete book of Dwarves, but like others on here, the funds are not possible at this time. I do hope that you get a good amount for them.

ChaunceyK
09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I know, this recession sucks for everyone. But if you're that interested in the Book of Dwarves, have you got anything you'd be willing to trade? I'd consider some figurines or even a halfway-sloppy dice tower.

I'd rather see me stuff go straight to someone who'll enjoy it, rather than a dealer who sees it as an investment to sell off.

cplmac
09-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry, Chauncey, but I don't have any figurines (I assume you mean the minis) and I just carry my dice in the obligatory purple Crown Royal bag.

ChaunceyK
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh well, figured I'd offer, no hard feelings. I'm showing my age again, I used to just call them figurines (I've got a couple dozen pewter ones from...you guessed it..."back in the day" before D&D made official ones), but in today's terms they are "minis"

Rafflin
12-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm gonna send a link of this to my DM and he or I may be interested in some of this stuff. I guess depending on where yoo are and what yoo have left I think we might be interested in checking it out in person.

Anyhoo, we still play a 1st/2nd edition hybrid once a month. 3 of our players are from New Jersey so if your interested come and join us. Here's the link to my game post.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14373

cplmac
12-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Hmm, we'll have to wait and see if ChaunceyK still has any of this or if he had already sold it.

Btw Chauncey, our groups librarian has seen to it that I got a copy of the complete book of dwarves. Not sure if he would be looking for anything that you may still have, but you could always send a PM to Etarnon and see if he may be interested.

ChaunceyK
12-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the site, Rafflin. Seems I forgot to post that I did end up selling everything to NobleKnight.com. And the triplets I mentioned are due on Tuesday! :laugh:

I appreciate the invite for some old-school, retro-style 1st/2nd D&D, but I'm over 2 hours away from Monroe. If you were closer, I'd be in for sure. :biggrin:

Cplmac, I'm glad you were able to get your hands on that Book of Dwarves! It was a fun read back in the day, I hope you enjoy it.

cplmac
12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
... And the triplets I mentioned are due on Tuesday! :laugh:

Well, let me say an early congratulations then. Hopefully everything goes well, and if you haven't already, sounds like you may need to stock up on the diapers.:baby::baby::baby:

Etarnon
12-28-2009, 05:40 AM
I was up there in the thread earlier. Interesting things, but most would have been spares for me, or not really usable with my current DM setup.

Happy Holidays to all.

Rafflin
12-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the site, Rafflin...triplets are due on Tuesday! :laugh: I appreciate the invite for some old-school, retro-style 1st/2nd D&D, but I'm over 2 hours away from Monroe. If you were closer, I'd be in for sure. :biggrin:

Thank You for the welcome and you're welcome ChaunceyK.

Good luck with the Triplets. I suggest getting a bag of holding for all the diapers you'll be needing... and disposing of for that matter. ;)