PDA

View Full Version : Dead of the Night: Game Mechanics

Arkhemedes
08-08-2009, 07:24 PM
In this thread I'll be posting tools and advice that go along with the In-Game thread. Players of the PBP should always check here first before posting anything in the In-game thread as I will be posting important game mechanics here that I don't want cluttering up the In-Game thread including maps where needed. Please do not post in this thread. Any Comments, Questions or Out of Character Discussions should be posted in the appropriate thread or you can just send me a PM.

Arkhemedes
08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Here is the latest map of Ardmor's Inn and Trading Post (or what you have seen of it so far). From here on out I will be using the numbers and letters shown on the map edges to show the known (or latest known) positions of all the inn's guests and Armor's family. Each square is 5 feet. Refer to the roster below for specifics:

Krac - E 29
Boyce - N 8
Varian - D 28
Goddle - dead
Mirapesh - dead
Lyons - dead
Lif- dead
Ardmor - O 6
Gisele - J 6
Kellogg - O 7
Kelsey - L 6
Imogen - L 8
Alden - D 27
Amber - D 29
Cissinei - K 7
Rudvarien - D 26
the fire - N 7

Arkhemedes
08-12-2009, 10:11 PM
As we start to get more characters involved in the PBP, the game will likely slow down more and more because we'll have to wait on more players to post. So I've come up with an idea that might speed things up a bit but without making it so that certain players don't get left behind or have their actions nullified by something unexpected.

Obviously, if players only make posts of one or two sentences everytime (sometimes this may be necessary) then the game will move very slowly, whether they're involved in a conversation or a combat. On the other hand, we don't want players to write too much or advance the story so far that other players get left out or something unexpected happens which nullifies a player's actions (and therefore whatever they wrote).

So here's what I suggest: Whenever a player writes a post, they should try to stop at the point at which there might be some uncertainty about whether or not their action (or intended action) will succeed. Then, once the player has finished writing the post, they can send me a PM stating what it is they intend to do from that point. That way I can go ahead and include your intended action in my next post and resolve any actions where the outcome is uncertain rather than having to wait for another post.

Does this make any sense? I hope so. Let me know if you have any questions about this or any other ideas on how we can improve the efficiency of the game. However, be sure to post any comments, questions or suggestions in the Comments and Questions thread and not here. And remember, PBP is new for most of us, myself included. So a little bit of trial and error is to be expected and we're bound to make a few mistakes along the way. I'm also thinking that, despite every effort we might make to prevent it, there will probably come a time or two on occasion when I will have to delete or change somebody's post because of something unexpected coming up. I will try to avoid doing this, but please don't get upset if it does happen. In fact, it may be best to expect that it will eventually every now and then.

Arkhemedes
08-24-2009, 09:05 AM
In the Game Thread post #95 this is what's known as a cut-scene. It is a device used in movies, as I'm sure you're aware of, for increasing suspense and dramatic tension for the audience. Now, however, it also serves to add a sense of urgency and danger. Keep in mind, your characters are not aware of anything that happens in a cut-scene. So they cannot specifically use the information, scant as it may be, to act upon.

In other words, they can't at this point say, "Oh no! Somebody has died!" On the other hand, I will let the characters use intuition or have a hunch about something. In other words, they could say something like, "Something doesn't feel right. I think we're all in danger."

Arkhemedes
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Here is a map of the surrounding farms.