PDA

View Full Version : Holy Diver

BladeMaster0182
08-06-2009, 11:45 PM
So here is a conundrum I've been trying to work out. I'm playing the Savage Tiding Adventure Path using the Pathfinder system. For those of you who don't know, Savage Tiding is a sea faring camapign. Because of this, my half orc paladin only has a masterwork chain shirt and heavy wooden shield. His stats are Lvl 2 Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 14. His AC is 16 and HP is 21.

What I need is more AC. As the only meat shield in the party, I should have one of the highest ACs, but I am trumped by the more dexterous rogue and ranger. While I will admit, I should have put more points in Dex, I wanted my str at 18, to play into my orcish heritage. Its the same reason my Int is 6. I only had so many points to play with so sacrifices had to be made for backstory. The only thing I've found is the stuff in Stormwrack and my chain shirt exceeds that stuff. I've considered getting an item to grant me a swim speed, but those are expensive.

So my options are to go with heavier armor, suck it up, or die and reroll. I'm hoping for an option D. Thanks all!

Ishcumbeebeeda
08-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't about in pathfinder, but in 3.5 in general there are rules in the back of the magic item compendium about adding various bonuses (including AC) to existing magic items. I usually use those when in similar situations. Though, it is somewhat expensive, depending on your DM. (about 4,000gp for a +2 bonus and, like, 20,000 for +6 off the top of my head...)

Azar
08-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry to say it, but it does sound like you need to either get hevier armor or reroll another character, and heres why, paladins are not supposed to be all about taking and delivering damage, he has a whole bunch of other thing like Smite Evil and lay on hands,and he gets alot more.If you want to be all about damage I go barbarian or fighter, I suggest Fighter. If you want to be all about AC go fighter for sure.Hope this helps.

BladeMaster0182
08-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Sorry to say it, but it does sound like you need to either get hevier armor or reroll another character, and heres why, paladins are not supposed to be all about taking and delivering damage, he has a whole bunch of other thing like Smite Evil and lay on hands,and he gets alot more.If you want to be all about damage I go barbarian or fighter, I suggest Fighter. If you want to be all about AC go fighter for sure.Hope this helps.

Well I know its more than being a meat shield (I RP him fairly well,) but right now I'm level 2 so I've only got one smite evil (which I try to use each campaign,) and 3 uses of lay on hands (Pathfinder does it a bit different.) However I am the party's only tank and I feel as if my character would want to be in the front of the party, soaking up the hits in a righteous glory, so the other party members may be unharmed. He also likes to hit evil things really hard, but thats because of his more impulsive orc half.

Azar
08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Well apparently your party members think to much of you, only one character can do so much, I applaud you for making a Half-Orc paladin, I have always wanted to do that but 3.5ed rules made it nearly impossible to play one because Half-Orcs -2 to Charisma unless you role way average. Just another reason pathfinder is so great. Also is this game your talking about PbP?

BladeMaster0182
08-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Well apparently your party members think to much of you, only one character can do so much, I applaud you for making a Half-Orc paladin, I have always wanted to do that but 3.5ed rules made it nearly impossible to play one because Half-Orcs -2 to Charisma unless you role way average. Just another reason pathfinder is so great. Also is this game your talking about PbP?

No they don't expect too much of me. I was the one hoping I could be a better meat shield, since it DOES fit in with my character. And Pathfinder rocks, Half Orcs get a +2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Int. As for the game I am in, it is a in person game, not PbP.

WhiteTiger
08-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I wonder if He would allow you to play a variant Half-Orc. This will sound dumb because this is a sea-faring adventure but the Desert Half-orc variant that you can find at d20srd.org or in Unearthed arcana book.
This variant gives a +2 con, -2 int. instead of +2 str, -2 int, -2 cha.
It swaps out darkvision for low-light and you get heat endurance and the
run feat.

something to think about... sometime a variant of the base race can make things a little better.

Farcaster
08-12-2009, 01:41 PM
And Pathfinder rocks, Half Orcs get a +2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Int. As for the game I am in, it is a in person game, not PbP.

That's not true any more with the final rules. Half orcs get +2 to a stat of their choice with no penalties.

CEBedford
08-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Mithril armor, defensive feats, and copious use of insults. Hell smack talk is basically mandatory in a seafaring game isn't it? Beyond that, magic items can help in numerous ways.

wizarddog
08-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Savage Tide is unkind to paladins. You need to upgrade the armor because your losing out on one of your key Class features. Without Dex, you have nothing but armor, shields and spells to aid you till you get good stuff to offbalance. Carry two sets of armor, one for adventuring on land and wear the chainvest while on ship.

MarshamSane
08-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Ouch man, bad times oh the seapaladin going abouts. Good luck with that. Look into armor/weapon crystalos from MIC to offest the fact that you're taking it to the face more often than not.

wizarddog
09-12-2009, 11:41 PM
When you finally reach the colony of Farshore you should be able to buy a necklace of adaption or a pearl of Sirens to make being underwater not a bad thing. I just changed my PC in Savage tide to a Pally who is going to be the main healer of the group (and they do it quite well) and I have full plate and shield for protection, relying on my necklace of adaption to walk on the ocean bottom ;). The "Tide" part of the adventure runs its course eventually.