PDA

View Full Version : OOC - Out of Character

Doom Crow
08-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Thread for all Out of Character discussion.

Commence!

Doom Crow
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Right now we are looking at 4 players and that's enough people for me to start us up. Right now our players are:
Arkhemedes
Traesin
Fuzzy Alchemist
Azar

Thoth Amon joined the group, but as of yet hasn't told me whether he is playing or just wanting to read along with the game. I'll get in contact with him to get a definite answer.

At the moment Azar has his character sheet completed and is in the process of sending it to me. I'm not wanting to rush anyone, so send me your characters when you can and once I am finished reviewing everything we can start up.

As far as posting frequency goes, I am going to say everyone needs to be posting once every three days so we can keep the flow of the game going nicely. Please, no one sentence posts and no Out of Character (OOC) comments in the Game Thread. The Game Thread will be completely In Character (IC), so when you post there you are posting as your character.

Your posts should be coherent as detailed. Think of this as a story we are all co-authoring, and it will be a fun experience for all. Combat will not be frequent so don't worry about that side of the game, this story is all about flavor, character development, and the plot you create as your characters make decisions throughout the game.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Welcome to Thrush, who found us at Obsidian Portal and now is our fifth player! This should be a pretty good sized group to start with so I will hold off on adding new people for now until I see how things start to hape up once the game begins.

Doom Crow
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
I posted some more content up on OP. I'm pretty tired since we switched sleep cycles to nights, and can't sleep. I'll post more when I can. Expect to get info about who's body your character is in!

Doom Crow
08-12-2009, 12:56 AM
I apologize for the delay in my posting lately, as I have been gearing up for this trip. It looks like I will not be able to take my laptop with me when I go on the trip, so I won't have computer acces from the 15th-24th. I will only have limited access to a computer from the 25th-30th. I will be back home and at full capacity on the 31st.

Arkhemedes
08-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Before we get too far into role playing our evil (or at least not so nice) guys, there is one thing I would like to address with all of the other players here. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have had some experience in playing with evil groups before (in fact I DMd an evil campaign for three years) and I know how they can go sometimes. I also know, as I am sure many of you are aware of, some of the hindrances of playing (or just talking) on-line as opposed to face to face, where body language and facial expressions can be seen. Unless one's words are chosen with the utmost care, it is quite easy to misunderstand or misinterpret the meaning or the attitude of other people. And since we will be role playing evil characters, this can only compound the problem. Then, of course, there are those players who are out to 'win the game', as opposed to those who are more interested in telling a good story and developing interesting characters.

Now, I am going to assume, especially after reading some of the great PC backgrounds, and because I am somewhat familiar with some of you, and largely because this is a play by post rather than a tabletop war game, that you are all players who are more interested in telling a good story and developing characters as opposed to players who are trying to take over the world and 'win the game'. I know I am and I know that at least some of you are. I guess, what I am trying to say is that, no matter how we act 'in-character', I don't think (at least I hope) that any of us really wants to get into a back-stabbing tournament here.

So why all the pre-amble? Because I just want to say out front that my character can be real ass who is used to commanding others and having his way through intimidation. As such, it would be natural for him to want to become the so-called 'leader of the group', and for him take control of the group through the use of intimidation. Now I realize that there are other characters who have also had positions of leadership, so this may be a bone of contention (and probably will be I'm guessing). Just be aware that my character has the highest charisma in the group and that I'm used to commanding living creatures and not a bunch of mindless undead (that's intended to be a joke btw Fuzzy :biggrin:). Anyway, if you happen to find your character being insulted by my character, please DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. I'm just playing my character.

Also, keep this in mind. Doom Crow has given himself the perfect means to keep back-stabbing characters in line, and I know as a long time DM of an evil group that it works. Should things ever start to get out of hand, Doom Crow would be perfectly justified in having demons pop-up out of nowhere to punish us, or even threaten to send us back to the Ebonlands (and therefore end of character).

Anyway, that's my two cents for what it's worth. Doom Crow has done a lot of work to make this an interesting campaign. Let's have fun with it! :biggrin:

Fuzzy alchemist
08-13-2009, 08:21 PM
I take no offense to the comment about leading mindless undead, even the intelligent ones were brain washed. I would also like to note that my character was never much of a leader. He got lucky and the only empires he ever set up was actually run by other people. He just wanted to have hordes of undead, materials for research, and to keep up his end of the bargin. He is well aware of the fact that he is not the sort to be taken seriously. He has no interest in leading, but does value himself as an adviser and knows he will have to prove it before others might. So, my character might get offended when he is insulted or ignored, but that is very different than me getting offended. Also, keep in mind that he values being here and no matter how offended he might be he has the sense to avoid doing much to endanger his position. So, it might come to arguments and the redirection of blame but he would not endanger the mission unless he felt he had an out or a way to make it someone else's fault with nothing leading back to him. Basically if you do not take his advice he will just make sure that if it fails it is because he was following your plans.

Arkhemedes
08-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Sounds good Fuzzy. Trust me, should Nicodemos become the so-called 'leader of the group' he will need his advisers and he understands the need to keep everyone happy and working together as a group, which means all spoils are divided evenly and fairly and everyone has a voice to be heard.

Azar
08-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Ya my characters backround is a secret right now but trust me, he wont have a problem AT ALL, but if you make physically hurt him, your in for it, but really anything else, he'll just shruggs it off.

Fuzzy alchemist
08-13-2009, 10:03 PM
You are a plant by the big guy aren't you? :suspicious: You are going to rat us out if we start to turn or just strike us down when you turn into giant epic demon. Then you erase everyone's memory so that no one knows it was you. I am on to you. Kidding. I just love spouting off wild theories.

Azar
08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
:cool: hehehe lol :lol:

Doom Crow
08-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah Azar and I are one in the same :evil: Yeah that's it.

traesin
08-14-2009, 03:13 AM
lol! don't worry about me. I know it's "just a game".:) but thanks for saying something. All least this way we know we are all on the same page.

Arkhemedes
08-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Hey guys, Doom Crow said that our equipment would be waiting for us somewhere, but not at the homes where our bodies lived. Unfortunately, he didn't say exactly where. It could be that he meant these things would be with the horses we rode in on, in which case we would already have our things. However, I got the feeling that was not the case. So in my last post I suggested we go and get our things, where ever that my be, and then get back together to discuss our options.

Doom Crow
08-15-2009, 09:53 AM
I just realized I can make posts from my iPhone! I will address this with another in game thread, thanks Arkhemedes, sorry for the confusion.

Thrush
08-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't foresee any problems on this end. I think we're all mature here, which is what it takes to be in a campaign with this many evil doers. I see Mondis as someone who sticks in the shadows and only comes out every now and then when he sees a chance to nudge things along in a manner he would like. Both his tactical combat style and his philosophy of living are the same.

This is my first play by post game, so it may take a bit for me to get acclimated. Here's to a good campaign! Cheers! :)

Arkhemedes
08-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Wow guys, I'm liking how this is going so far. I realize we've only just started this thing, but I'm having a lot of fun with it already. As I stated before, Nicky is pretty full of himself as you can see. He's good at doing the sabre-rattling and banding like-minded people together. But one look at his stats and you can see that wisdom is his real downfall, and quite likely the reason he never rose above a mere leader of bandits. I loved the initial exchange between he and Lucifer - a little on the edge but totally expected between two evil guys. Clearly Nicky, is going to need the wisdom and advice of people like Lucifer to keep his ego in check and make sure things run as smoothly as possible. Keep up the good work Fuzzy! ;)

Fuzzy alchemist
08-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Thank you. I will try to keep up the good work and I appreciate your appreciation. I am glad you are enjoying it I am as well. The main reason I needed to post was to inquire as to whether Nicky has simply walked away from Lucifer after making his assurances or whether it is obvious that he is talking to Mondis? If so, are they giving any indication as to whether they want their privacy or not? My first assumption is that they do as they deliberately separated themselves from everyone else, but I could be wrong.

Arkhemedes
08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
No no. I'm assuming that Nicky just caught a glimpse of Mondis who is some distance away from the rest of us. Nicky is still there with you and would like to continue the conversation with you and the others. Unless I'm reading it wrong, I think he means that Mondis and his horse back away into the shadow. :confused:

Fuzzy alchemist
08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I misread your post. I thought when you said "before he disappears into the shadows." you were saying Nicky was going into the shadows to speak the Mondis. You meant before Mondis went into the shadows. My fault.

Arkhemedes
08-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Well guys, here's an interesting dilemma: At this point I'm not even sure if Nicodemos actually has a shop to go to. That's why I was a bit vague on where we were headed. And none of us have any of our equipment either. Doom Crow said he would be posting something concerning that - but so far nothing. Kinda weird playing a D&D game without a DM. It's why I was hoping we could just stand around and gab for a while. But as Fuzzy pointed out, that may not be such a wise idea. So I'm going to put fourth the suggestion that we hold off for a bit and see if we hear from our DM. What do you guys think?

traesin
08-15-2009, 11:37 PM
this may sound redundant, but we could move outside of town to talk.

Fuzzy alchemist
08-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Sorry, it had not occured to me that the standing and gabbing was a delaying tactic. I did not mean to derail the flow of the game.

Arkhemedes
08-15-2009, 11:43 PM
That's not a bad idea (Taesin's idea that is) - but it may look rather odd for Fuzzy's character to suddenly disappear again. What do you think Fuzzy?

Fuzzy alchemist
08-15-2009, 11:52 PM
As long as we can think of a way to lead it that way in character I am good with it. The idea just occurring to all of our characters for no reason at the same time would kind of screw the the verisimilitude of the game. I tend to try to avoid that when possible. It could just be someone metioning the fact that the shop does not likely have the protections in place yet, but the cave would or simply not being where someone would not know to spy would work just as well. A random person hearing muffled voices in a building is more likely than them stumbling across the group unnoticed in the grasslands. My character can always lie and say it was an impromptu party when asked about it.

traesin
08-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm the woodsy one. Shall I mention it?

Fuzzy alchemist
08-16-2009, 12:00 AM
You mentioning it would work for me. Seeing as my character suggested the shop it is unlikely that he has considered turning around and walking out of the city. Also, seeing as one of his ideas has been accepted he is not likely to suggest a contradictory one.

Arkhemedes
08-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Wouldn't it be better if I said something? It is my shop after all. What would traesin's character know about it?

...a few minutes later...

Okay, that was kind of crazy - just trying to keep up with you guys. But I think it works. I'm happy with it. ;)

Change of location:

Okay guys, I have taken the liberty of relocating us outside of the city in a place where we should be able to talk more freely. Hope this meets with your approval. I chose to take us back through a different city gate so it wouldn't look so odd - our turning around leaving through the gate that we had just entered. I also chose to put us in the grasslands at an unspecified distance from the city because I was not sure how far we had traveled from the cave to get to the city. But it seemed to me that if we had horses it was probably a distance that was not worth repeating.

Also, Traesin, in post #33 you mentioned getting up and walking out the door, which puzzles me a bit. To my knowledge, at that time we were still out in the city streets and had not yet entered any building. Not that its a big deal I guess, but you may want to consider editing that. :)

Doom Crow
08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Sorry for the delay, I was on a plane for 8 hours yesterday and drove 13 hours today

Fuzzy alchemist
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry I have not been keeping up. Work schedule was odd and I have had little time to construct a proper post. I will do my best to get something in even when I am strapped for time in the future.

Arkhemedes
08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Okay, so it appears that at this point, that we'll be collecting our keys to the private club and our equipment and then heading over to the club for our meeting. So, unless somebody else would like to do it, or has something else to add first, I'll go ahead and do a little write up on our return to the city and locating the man with our equipment. I won't have time to do this until Thursday evening however. So, in the meantime, if any of you guys any suggestions on this let me know. I know that Doom Crow has been checking in on us from time to time but it appears he is content to let us handle these things for now.

traesin
08-20-2009, 04:21 AM
go for it,

Arkhemedes
08-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Okay, it is done. Hope I didn't go too far, but it seemed we were all ready to have our equipment and be in a place where we could talk and make plans. I thought that, now that we do have our equipment, each of us could start off by describing what we look like (what we wear) so that we could each have a better understanding of our roles and personalities.

Doom Crow
08-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Been driving the last two days. I'll try to post tonight or tomorrow to give you a little background info on the city. Haven't. Haven't had any reception on my iPhone.

Fuzzy alchemist
08-23-2009, 12:28 PM
A small part of me wants to have Lucifer pull out magical power point presentations and graphs. I will not but I think it would be funny.
I also assumed that with my knowledge religion at the level it is I would know the stuff listed on the pantheon page for the major gods in the areas. If not I am sorry. I can roll upon request.

Arkhemedes
08-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Great job Fuzzy. This should all be very interesting.

Doom Crow
08-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Been driving 9 hours today, driving will me done tonight, and I'll be able to use an Internet connected computer in the morning. A new player is interested, from Op name's lord_kain. Don't know if he registered at p&p games yet.

Doom Crow
08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok I am back on a computer at least for now until I get back on the 30th. I will post that background info for you soon. I like what yuou guys have done while I've been away, good job!

Thrush
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Sorry the priest has been quiet. I had to go out of town for business Sunday and just got back. I'll try to get in character later today!

traesin
08-28-2009, 01:43 AM
don't you hate it when work gets in the way of gaming.

Azar
08-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Luckily I don't have one. I am 16, don't hate lol : )

Fuzzy alchemist
08-29-2009, 02:17 AM
Well, I tend to dislike when it gets in the way, but golly am I glad to have one. I know several people who really need them and are screwed due to the job market around here.

Doom Crow
08-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I am flying back into Sacramento tomorrow and will be back at my home by late afternoon, FYI. I'm glad things have gone smoothly while I've been away, thank you very much everyone for keeping things moving along with character interaction, especially to Arkhemedes for taking the lead when I wasn't able to get a signal or get to a computer.

Things will get back into full swing this week!

Arkhemedes
08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Looking forward to it Doom. It's been fun so far but it's also been a little bit like the blind leading the blind. A lot of it, of course, is just stalling for time. I'll be glad to get somewhere where we can actually get the ball rolling, so to speak.

Doom Crow
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I am back and rested up!

Fuzzy alchemist
08-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Yippee. Welcome back.

Arkhemedes
08-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Yippee. Welcome back.
I second that.

traesin
09-01-2009, 03:44 AM
:whoo::clap2::clap2::pound::bounce::bounce::cheer2 ::rockon::dance:

Azar
09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Welcome back man, glad we have some insight now lol.

Arkhemedes
09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey Doom, are you planning to let us know the "ideas" in the folder or any of the other things I might be looking at in the folder?

Also, my brother Citan - is he an identical twin? What are the chances of me posing as him? And what are the chances of using this ruse to take advantage of these electrum mines?

Doom Crow
09-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes you and Citan are identical twins. I will cover what's in the folder, I was waiting for someone to open it and also to see if anyone had questions for faelar before he leaves.

Arkhemedes
09-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Guys, I wish I could be more useful here and more organized. But I am still without internet and now it appears I will be without it until Monday. So I apologize for being so brief and disorganized. But all my posting is being done in the few hours I can spare at work in an environment that's not exactly condusive for such things.

Arkhemedes
09-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Doom, I was wondering if we could get a little more info on where some of us are currently staying. I know that some of us have permanent residences here. But others of us are probably staying at inns or boarding houses. Could we get some clarification on this and get an idea on which section of town we're in? I know that Hidan has been in town for six months but I'm not sure if its a boarding house, an inn or what.

Doom Crow
09-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey there guys, I apologize for my lax posting as of late. I have just begun working full time a week and a half ago, pretty much right after we got back from our long trip. I will rededicate myself towards posting more frequently and getting more involved.

Hidan has been at a boarding house in the Gold Quarter for the last six months, a nice little establishment called the Sordid Maiden, owned by a widowed woman named Merishka.

traesin
10-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Okay, where would I find my boyfriend? does he have an office? is there a court house/room that he is at alot?

Doom Crow
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
He lives and works in the Silver Quarter, with his office located in the center of that part of town, with his apartment on the two floors above his office. The address is 315 Blaze Way.

Thrush
10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey guys, sorry for not posting lately. I've been swamped at work and don't think I'll be of much use for the next several months. Just don't have the free time right now.

I might be able to do some after the new year but can't guarantee anything.

Sorry,
Steve

Azar
10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Where can Volker find Marline agian? Sorry!

Doom Crow
10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
It's ok Steve I understand, things are pretty stacked on my side as well. You're welcome back when things get more manageable for you. In the meantime we could say your character is working on building contacts within the clergy and among his parishoners.

As for you Azar, Marline Heddigue works at the Commonwealth Bank of Droxundus, a national bank located in every city in the Khedesh Commonwealth. Droxundus' branch is located in the Gold Quarter of the city, and it is where all Primas and Secundas keep their money stored. ZVolker has not yet determined where she lives, but he knows that Marline is a Secundas herself, a requirement for working at the bank.

Arkhemedes
10-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Well, I've been holding off on posting thinking that I might run into somebody at the boardinghouse that I'll need to talk to. But I'm seriously beginning to wonder if there are even any NPCs in this city.

Arkhemedes
12-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Hehehe. I just had to do it. I've been wanting to write a fitting ending for this campaign for a while now and finally found the time to do it. :lol: