PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Online Game

HowwwwL
08-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey fellas. I am new here, but not new to role playing. Been playing since 1979. The games I played the most, and have DM'd and played over the years: D&D since 1979 (all versions except 4th), Call of Cthulhu (non D20 versions), Champions (Hero System), Mutants and Masterminds.

I am interested in playing in an online campaign of one of the following games. I have the books but haven't actually played a session with anyone (the people here I know are D&D addicts, and don't like change, heh heh).

The games I am interested in playing in are (in no particular order):
Dark Heresy
Deadlands
Savage World
CthulhuTech
Shadowrun
Dungeons & Dragon's 4th Edition

If anyone is doing an online campaign and has room for an experienced roleplayer (30 years), but inexperienced in the above games, please let me know!
:)

I am fairly flexible as far as game time and game day goes.

Fuzzy alchemist
08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Greetings. I would be interested in building a deadlands game and have attempted to do so before on these boards. I am glad to see another person interested in getting a game going in that setting even if it is just one on a list of settings. I assume that getting the game together was your goal not just looking for a game as that would be discouraged by Farcaster's announcement here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/announcement.php?f=17). I would prefer not to be the GM but I might be willing to share or trade off on the responsibility should everyone want a chance to be a PC. If we decided to pursue a deadlands (or savage worlds) game the PEG board's might be a good place to look for more players. They even have a board dedicated to that. I am also familiar with if slightly less interested in some of the other games you mentioned and might be willing to join one of them should that be the way the group leans. I look forward to hearing back from you and others and working towards assembling a group or finding places for us should we be unable to do so.

HowwwwL
08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Though I have not GM'd any of the games listed above, I am interested in playing one of these with a group of people. Yes, I am looking to find a group of people interested in forming up, and figuring out GM duties.

We would need a few more people interested to do this. I have a little shy of 30 years experience GMing other games. :)

I really really like the Deadlands Western/Horror feel from what I have read so far. Tombstone was one of my favorite Western movies of all time.

I was thinking of using Savage Worlds/Deadlands:Reloaded ruleset. I would like to stay away from D20 wherever possible. I never fell in love with D20 like many others have.

I am very new to the online RPG world, and am not sure where to go from here, but I can definitely say Deadlands is one of my top picks.

Fuzzy alchemist
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I tend to prefer the revised classic deadlands rule-set mostly because I feel that the mad scientist lost a lot in the translation but also because the feel of it changed slightly in reloaded. Many of the books have suggestions on how best to bring out whatever facet of the game you want. Seeing as you placed the genre as horror I am assuming that that is one of the ones you would want the game to focus on and several books have sections dedicated to the topic of how bring it out in a game and nurture it over time so that even when people have seen their fair share of it they can still get the feel of horror they had when they first started. Most of it is just in how you tell the story and not in the rules so whichever ruleset you use you can get most of it, but the fast, fun, furious feel of savage worlds which is what reloaded is based on can sometimes work against some of it. The reloaded rule-set does have good traits but I tend to prefer classic. I can understand your desire to stay away from the d20 conversion and share it. While I thought many of the books written for the d20 rules had good material in them I did not like the rules themselves.

TheOneBigOne
08-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Deadlands is awesome! I would love to get a game going.

Tarostar
08-03-2009, 03:55 AM
I like the Savage Worlds rules and although I've never played Deadlands I've heard a lot of good things about it and would be up for joining an online game night (or morning) if we can find a time that works for all of us (I'm in london). If it's Saturday I'll be very flexible and I can stay up all night Friday, but if it's Sunday it would have to be your morning.

TheOneBigOne, you mention Ventrillo and Teamspeak. I've used both, but would suggest the open source Mumble. I have a server going and the sound quality is almost natural face-to-face quality.

If we are using Savage Worlds I would strongly recommend Fantasy Grounds II as it has a SW ruleset and is a very nice virtual gaming table with the ability to share maps, pictures, character sheets, miniatures, rules and with a good chat window and 3D virtual dice that you actually throw (plus it logs the entire chat log so we can post transcripts of games). I used it at iCon (online game convention) a couple of times and its fantastic. It is not free though, so if you guys would rather go with a simpler free alternative that is fine too.

I'd prefer to start as a player as I've never GM'ed SW and only played it twice (but I own the rulebook), but once we get going I don't mind taking on GM duties when people want to rotate as player. I also don't mind putting in some effort helping out to establish a wiki or using something like the Obsidian Portal to track our game. It doesn't have to be Deadlands either, but that does seem to be what we're going for at the moment.

TheOneBigOne
08-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Don't forget we NEED to find a virtual poker deck if we play deadlands. (savage lands... I have little experience with that system but I LOVE the original rules for deadlands.)

Tarostar
08-03-2009, 05:03 AM
Don't forget we NEED to find a virtual poker deck if we play deadlands. (savage lands... I have little experience with that system but I LOVE the original rules for deadlands.)

I'm not dead set on any rules. As for the poker deck, the SW rules plugin for Fantasy Grounds II has a poker deck. It also has a wild die that can be rolled automatically and when double clicking a skill it rolls your skill die (it also has a combat tracker). I really enjoyed using FGII as you can probably tell, but as mentioned it does cost money.

Tarostar
08-14-2009, 01:51 PM
*sigh* Another initiative that went nowhere...

Fuzzy alchemist
08-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I can post on the PEG boards and see if I can get any interest from that crowd. It would tend to put us in a position of using Savage worlds or deadlands but that seemed to be where we were leaning anyway. I can include a link to this post so that people can follow both as well as insuring that the one over there is updated should this get any activity. I have reached out to the people I know on the boards and got little but maybe an open post would be the way to go. What do you all think?

Tarostar
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Yes, a Savage Worlds game would be fun and Deadlands sounds interesting and Solomon Kane could be fun too, although my knowledge about either is fairly limited. If we were to find a group (and GM) we will of course have a limited window for gaming since I'm in England, but I'm willing to stay up late Fridays/Saturdays to make it work and Sunday games early your time could also work.

Also, if you haven't tried Fantasy Grounds for online games I recommend you download their demo. It is an awesome way to play D&D and Savage World (with the ruleset addon) games online. Sorry to keep harping on it, but a good way to host the game can make or break keeping a campaign alive.

Let me know if you stir up any interest.