PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Unusual/Obscure monsters?

Grandore The Giant Killer
07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey DMs I was wondering. How do you use those unusual/obscure monsters? I'm talking about those monsters in the manuals that you look at, tilt your head sideways, and be like "What the heck?!"

Monsters like ooze monsters or the infamous gelatin cubes. My DM loves using monsters like those because we rarely ever see them coming. Like check this scenario out I ran into the other day. I was in a dungeon and I needed to find 4 keys. 2 keys needed to unlock a cage, and 2 more for the treasure boxes inside it. So in this dungeon were rooms with coffins in them. may I add the coffins were open and no one were in them? There also was an urn there. So me being a deep thinker I decided to look in the urn. I looked in the urn and inside was a key handle sticking out. So I put my arm inside to grab it and it turned out to be a trap. A metal clamp grabbed my wrist and Red ooze started to fill up the urn. Long story short it turned out to be a flesh eating ooze monster in the urn. I ended up having to go to a druid to get my arm restored since it was amounted to nothing but bone.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
I find--generally speaking--that unusual monsters can easily be set in unusual places, like the Underdark. Cubes, oozes, and slimes, oh my, can be found where no sane humanoid would ever venture.

CEBedford
08-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I read them and hope something sparks inside my noggin. I tend to avoid using monsters that don't naturally inspire me.

Traps are perfect for most oozes that seem too weird to fit in other places. I do however like the water dwelling oozes because they remind me of jelly fish and water based threats are always tense.

gajenx
08-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I have not really used oozes and such for the rare monsters. When I have used them they are often found when a trapper was there and the monsters broke out of their cages or confinements. I do use oozes sometimes when the group is in watery and swampy places and dungeons. I am more likely to use humanoid monsters over all other things since they often fit best in how I run games and makes rare monsters really seem rare.

Gargs454
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
It really depends. Obviously things like oozes are fairly nice because there are a variety of locales in which they can reasonably be placed. For other, more unusual monstrosities like many of the aberrations, I will frequently try to theme an adventure around them (like the wizard whose experiements went awry).

RealmsDM
08-04-2009, 10:56 PM
honestly, i think over the years i (& those i have gamed with) have used them so much that they have become icons for us...

the cliches-

fall into a pit with a gelatinous cube

a empty room with just a few bones in the center... and a lurker on the ceiling

and the old fashion bucket of water on top of the half way open door, waiting to spill on the head of the 1st person to open it. except its a green slime in the bucket...

good times.

special shout out to the Owlbear as an unusal monster. anyone who owns a 1e MM understands... what a bad pic... lol

Skunkape
08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I've had oozes roaming the country-side run into the party while they're camping at night. Why is there an ooze running around loose in the country-side and why hasn't someone else dealt with it?

It allows me to have a possible side adventure for the PCs to follow if they're so inclined.

Personally, just have unusual monsters show up whenever you feel like adding in something different, just make sure there's an explanation for having said monster around. Doesn't have to be a completely logical explanation in my opinion, just a believable one!:biggrin:

Wulvaine
08-06-2009, 02:52 AM
I have to admit a certain warmth towards the gelatinous cube. Yes, it's ridiculous. No, it's not very threatening. But I don't know, I kinda like it for some reason.

But generally, like CEBedford, if the creature doesn't inspire me, I probably won't use it. Not to mention that I'd really rather just create something if I can't immediately find what I'm looking for in one of the Monster Manuals.

DMMike
08-08-2009, 01:32 AM
I like to make usual monsters unusual - like helpful hill giants or evil elf tribes.

Weird monsters - bosses/unique only. It's too much work to explain how manticores fit into my ecosystem.

I've had a special place in my heart for oozes ever since I slayed their entire species in Dragon Warrior. So now, when the magic field gets a little thick, an ooze results and presents a slightly too common hazard to travelers.

Grandore The Giant Killer
08-10-2009, 09:08 PM
The Gel Cubes are a pain in the neck to run into because My DM uses them as traps. all he says is "You come across a sword laying on the ground" Well you go to pick it up and your stuck inside a Cube.

CEBedford
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
The Gel Cubes are a pain in the neck to run into because My DM uses them as traps. all he says is "You come across a sword laying on the ground" Well you go to pick it up and your stuck inside a Cube.

You can have a lot of fun with a Gelatinous Cube. You just have to be clever with how you describe it with special attention to it's contents. Floating suits of armor and weapons are remniscent of various undead and constructs after all.

prinnycook
08-20-2009, 08:32 PM
What everyone is saying about using Gelatinous Cube as traps is what I have been doing for years. One thing you can also do is make them a mission. One type of mission that most DM do not do is capture for study by a wizard. Make is a mission to some how capture a Gelatinous Cube or an ooze. This offers a unique challange to players since they have to search for and not kill something.

CEBedford
08-21-2009, 06:27 PM
What everyone is saying about using Gelatinous Cube as traps is what I have been doing for years. One thing you can also do is make them a mission. One type of mission that most DM do not do is capture for study by a wizard. Make is a mission to some how capture a Gelatinous Cube or an ooze. This offers a unique challange to players since they have to search for and not kill something.

That is a very good point.

DMMike
08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Or maybe you could reunite G. Cube with G. Pyramid and G. Sphere?

Me, I'd only use the G. cube as an ooze that just happened to be cubical because it took the shape of its container - a dungeon hallway. Even then I'm not too excited about it - how much fun is really involved in swinging at jello?

cpljarhead
08-25-2009, 04:57 PM
cubes and oozes are fun but what is fun is when you just pick something that the players never really expect coming. something that as a group you have not seen in a long time. you know what it is when described but are not prepared at all for it. example: in my campaign the group was exploring some caves and encountered fungus and lots of it but also there were several types of flowers that had started to grow due to the luminescant light in the caves. well surprise! there happened to be a yellow musk creeper there as well. got them good especially the smart mouthed dwarven theif. he ended up losing a lot of int and the others lost some too likew the cleric who had no restorative spells or scrolls for such a thing. what a pity. even hit the druid with a cursed scroll (-2 int) and boy were they not expecting any cursed items as we never used them in the group as long as i've been there. that was funny! we all got kick out of it afterwards.

nijineko
08-27-2009, 02:33 PM
my favorite usage of a gelatinous cube is to give it the celestial or fiendish template. the mind boggles with the thought of how such a thing might acquire such a template... but at least on the celestial side, it makes some sense... after all, everything has to be really clean, right? and what better way to clean something down to the shine? and (see below) it's smart enough to know what not to eat.

anyhow....

this has the unusual effect of granting whatever creature the template is placed on an int score of 3, minimum. which now means that the cube technically qualifies to take class levels. my personal favorite choice? monk. ho-hum along comes a cube, let's just walk in front of it, it's so slow... and then it takes its 60' move action.... ^^

now technically, you can't put such a template on an ooze. but i like to make up fun and interesting monsters, though i can't take credit for this one, so chalk one up on the side of dm fiat. =D