PDA

View Full Version : Dead of the Night: Comments, Questions, and Out of Character Discussions

Pages : [1] 2

Arkhemedes
07-24-2009, 06:32 PM
This thread is to be used by players in the Dead of the Night campaign to post any comments or questions and for any out of character discussions specifically concerning this play by post campaign.

Arkhemedes
08-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Update as of 10:00 pm 8/13/09:
At this point, here's what I have:

Azar: Warrior - 100% completed and is in the game.
Doom Crow: Rogue - 95% completed but is holding off until return from trip.*
Cardboard Tube Knight: Warrior - 95% completed and is in the game.*
Traesin: Arcane Spellcaster - 95% completed and is in the game*

* I need to finish final versions of backgrounds

We got started on Saturday 8/8/09. Azar's character kicked things off, we have since added two more characters.

traesin
08-14-2009, 06:31 PM
"sales and acquisitions"!:rofl:

I about fell off the couch when I read that!

Arkhemedes
08-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Okay, here's a message for CTK...

bwok...bwok, bwok, bwok! :lol:

Hehehe. So is that why you wanted to play a female? So you could talk the guys into sticking their necks out so you wouldn't have to? (Just teasing of course.) :behindsofa:

Does this mean we're scared now?:scared: No? Well, you should be! Mwaaahahahahaaaa!:evil:

traesin
08-22-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm sorry if you guys have been waiting on me. I've been sick the last several days.

Arkhemedes
08-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Actually, I've waiting on the other two. But we're good now. Hope you're feeling better. :)

Arkhemedes
09-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Okay, now that Doom Crow is back (Yey!) and because now is not a good time to introduce his character, he will, for the time being, be taking over the role of Varian (Let's hope he's not the culprit) until we reach a good point where we can get his own character into the game.

And now I think it's about time that I state, for the record, what should already be obvious. There is a real mystery going on inside this inn. This, hopefully you are well aware of. What you may not be aware of however, is that I have left clues as to what is happening throughout this entire thread. And I do mean the ENTIRE THREAD. Every single page so far, if not every single post I've made has a piece of the puzzle. Granted, much of it is extremely subtle or vague. But I assure you there are clues throughout.

For example, during the first week spent in this PBP, while the cast of characters were apparently just having idle chit chat and getting to know one another in the barroom, it might have seemed like nothing else was going on. But if you thought so, you couldn't be more wrong. Even as far back as that I was subtly feeding you clues. So why am I telling you this now? Because, now that we are more than ten pages into it, if you are not clear on exactly what has taken place so far or if you have forgotten some of the things that have happened up to this point, I urge you to go back and read it again. And this time, put your thinking cap on, and think like a detective trying to piece together a mystery.

And good luck. The lives of your character may depend on it. :fear:

traesin
09-03-2009, 03:46 AM
should we start rolling up new characters......

Arkhemedes
09-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Nah...let's wait until the first ones are dead.

traesin
09-07-2009, 04:06 AM
test

Arkhemedes
09-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Note that because I still don't have internet at my home, something I hope to get resolved soon, I can't update the map at this time.

traesin
09-11-2009, 01:41 AM
want my lap top card?

Arkhemedes
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Alright guys. You now have more than enough clues to solve the mystery of what's really going on here. Bringing this little adventure to a conclusion is another matter though. But at least you should be on the right track now (Don't make me draw you a picture and nail it to a friggin' tree, as they say.). So let's use our noggins and bring this chapter to a close, so we can introduce some new characters.

Btw, was everyone as bummed out about Goddle's death as I expected they would be? I know Azar was.

Oh also, just to let you guys know, in the next chapter of Dead of the Night, we will be delving more into character related issues and their background stories, which should be pretty cool. Plus, all the PCs will move up to 2nd level - you've more than earned it by now (and yet you still haven't gotten into a single fight - weird huh?).

And one more thing: I'm interested in hearing any comments on what you guys think so far of this pbp. Did anyone ever get the chills, thrills or surprises? (Keep in mind, this chapter ain't over yet.) Is there anything you would like to see more of or less of? Any suggestions on where to go from here? (Not that I don't already have plans of my own.)

I know there are quite a few questions here. But I would appreciate as much input on all of them as possible. And be honest - I can take it (I think.).

Azar
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Well I was veary bummed that Goddle died, he was one of the coolest NPC's I have ever encountered, but this is Ravenloft after all.

This PbP is veary good, and I hope we play it for a veary long time, and I also got the chills more than a few times.

Arkhemedes
10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, I had been holding off on posting in the game thread to give Doom Crow a chance to voice his opinion on the current plan of action. But since Doom has added nothing I will assume that he's okay with it. So I will move on with our story with the plan as proposed by Azar and Traesin. However, it will have to wait until tomorrow. Got to get ready for my Tuesday night f2f game.

traesin
10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
have you updated the map?

Arkhemedes
10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh, sorry. I meant to put a note on that. The map itself was not exactly updated. I never did this because there was no longer a need for it. However, the positions of the characters on the map ARE updated, which is all we really need anymore. I will go ahead and reveal the rest of the map though.

traesin
10-14-2009, 01:40 AM
initive

Azar
10-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Initiative

Azar rolls some dice

Arkhemedes
10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
In your pursuit of Rudvarien I am making Dex checks for everyone involved to see if anyone gains any ground on Rudvarien. In this first round, Alden gained some ground, Amber lost a step, Varien stayed even, and Krac, with his slow movement, will never catch him unless Rudvarien slows down.

Azar
10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
okay here goes

Initiative

traesin
10-21-2009, 01:46 AM
in

boo
--- Merged from Double Post ---
whoops. wrong dice.

traesin rolls some dice

Arkhemedes
10-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Okay, time to award some experience and move some characters up to 2nd level. Yea!
I'm using the fast track for experience btw.

Alden: 500 pts for rough character background; 100 pts for starting the game off; 200 pts for figuring some things out early; 200 pts for role playing; 500 pts for completing the adventure; 200 pts for killing the doppleganger = 1700 pts total

Amber: 500 pts for rough character background; 200 pts for being the first to name the intruder; 300 pts for role playing and not using player knowledge; 500 pts for completing the adventure; 200 pts for killing the doppleganger = 1700 pts total

Go ahead and roll for hit points (reroll 1s) and let me know of 2nd level adjustments made here.

Azar
10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Show me the money

Aldens HP Roll

Arkhemedes
10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Unlike in your campaign I don't pay characters just because they level up. However, I do have a list of magic items to be divided amongst the survivors - provided they do the right thing here.

Also, you get a bonus feat at 2nd level and 4 skill points. Tell me how you want to spend them. And don't tell me to look at your character sheet at Tangledweb. Just tell me here.

Azar
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Thats not the reason I play the game, I leveled you up because I made the mistake to make you 2nd level, so I corrected it, and said you finished enough to go to 3rd, trust me, you won't be leveling up any time soon okay.

I am taking shield focus as my extra feat and I am spreading out the skill point in the skills I already put ranks into. I am puting my ranks evenly into Intimidate, Knowledge: Dungeoneering, Knowledge: Engineering, Climb, and Survival.

Also, if you thought I meant "when I am getting more money" when I said, "show me the money", it's just a fraise, I just wanted a high HP roll, thats all. I started out playing 3.5e with mostly role playing, and then gradually went to playing mostly Hack & Slash, I joined PbP games to get back into role playing, so if you think that all I care about is slashing up monsters, getting treasure, and leveling up, you are sadly mistaken.

Arkhemedes
10-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry. Misunderstood the "Show me the money" comment. Most people I know when they say 'show me the money', they literally mean 'show me the money'.

I will make a post tomorrow evening, getting the characters through the rest of the game night fairly quickly. Then I'll skip ahead to late morning when the characters are rested up. I will then put up a list of magic items that the dead NPCs had, which will then be divided amongst the adventurers that survived: Alden, Amber, Varian, Cissinei and Krac.

Btw, Azar, I don't mind if you change the face type on your posts. But I would prefer if you didn't use bold type (or any color other than black for that matter). Thanks.

Azar
10-28-2009, 10:33 AM
np, I will change that right away.

traesin
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
i'll try to get Amber done tonight.
put 2points in stealth, one in slight of hand and one in spellcraft. picked up the spell light.

traesin
10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
rolling for hp
traesin rolls some dice

Arkhemedes
10-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Reroll that Traesin. I don't accept 1s for HP for PCs, NPCs or monsters.

traesin
10-29-2009, 02:38 PM
hp

and we get....
yea!!!!

Marley117
10-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Health roll

Arkhemedes
10-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow, great roll! That's a good sign.

Marley117
10-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I know :D Hopefully I will survive awhile! Do some good and whatnot.

Arkhemedes
10-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Okay, because there are several magic items to be divided up, I'm going to jump ahead here a bit and let Alden, Amber, Varian, Cissinei and Krac go ahead and start picking items even though they haven't actually been identified yet. And as far as identifying these items I'm going to make things easy this time around (but don't count on it being this easy in the future). First off, I will tell you that none of these items are cursed (I don't want to deal with cursed items...yet). Secondly, I'm going to say that Varian (who can cast Detect Magic spells all day long) and Amber (who is skilled in Spellcraft) will be able to correctly identify all the items by working together and spending about an hour doing so. This may be stretching it a bit but I don't want to turn this into an ordeal. That being said, this is how we're going to do this:

There are 15 items to be divided up, exactly enough for 3 picks for each of the 5 characters. We will therefore have 3 treasure pick rounds. In each of these rounds, Alden and Amber will always get to pick before the other 3 characters (PCs always pick first in my games). So I want Azar and Traesin each to roll 3 d20s now. The three numbers that each of you roll will determine, in that order, which one of you two will get to pick before the other in each round (high roll goes first). If there is a tie between the two of you in any of the rounds, we'll reroll for that round only. Keep in mind that after each one of you has made one pick, it will be the NPCs turns to each pick one item before you get to pick again. I will write the names of those who picked each item as they are picked. I hope this is all clear to you. If not, let me know. Here are the items, each of which is preceded by the name of the item's previous owner:

Goddle:
30 Sling Bullets +1 - Amber
Boots of Elvinkind - grants +5 competence bonus on Acrobat checks - Krac
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds - heals 2d8+3 HP - Amber
Mirapesh:
Ring of Mind Shielding - wearer is immune to Detect Thoughts, Discern lies, and any attempt to discern alignment - Cissinei
Cloak of Elvinkind - wearer gains +5 competence bonus on Stealth checks - Krac
Potion of Invisibility (one use) - Varian
Lif:
Cloak of Resistance +3 - grants +3 bonus to all saves - Varian
Ring of Protection +3 - grants +3 deflection bonus to AC - Cissinei
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds - heals 2d8+3 HP - Krac
Lyons:
Defending Dagger +3 - wielder can transfer all or some of the dagger's bonus to AC and can change this from round to round as a free action - Cissinei
Bracers of Armor +3 - grants +3 bonus to AC - Amber
Boyce:
Longsword +1, +3 vs. Undead - Varian
Heavy Steal Shield +2 - Alden
Potion of Bull's Strength - grants +4 bonus to strength - Alden
Rudvarien*:
Flaming Bastard Sword +1 - upon command is sheathed in fire which does extra d6 damage on a successful hit. - Alden

Note: All potions are at caster level 3.
* Was locked away in footlocker

Marley117
10-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Those are some pretty good items there. Good luck guys. I can't wait to join you all next round.

Azar
10-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Treasure Rolls

Azar rolls some dice

Azar rolls some dice

traesin
11-01-2009, 12:34 AM

I'm confused.....

Arkhemedes
11-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Okay, on the first round Alden gets the first pick of the treasure.
Amber gets the second pick.
Then each of the NPCs get a pick.

On the second round, Amber gets first pick.
Then Alden.
Then the NPCs.

On the third round, Alden gets first pick.
Then Amber.
The the NPCs.

Okay Azar, take your first pick. Either PM me with your selection or post it here.

Azar
11-01-2009, 01:08 AM
I am going to take the +1 Flaming Bastard Sword of course!

traesin
11-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Bracers of ac 3 please.

Arkhemedes
11-01-2009, 02:22 AM
Okay, Amber's turn, then Alden.

traesin
11-01-2009, 06:04 AM
I'll take the sling bullets.

Azar
11-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I'll take the +2 Heavy Steel Shield

Arkhemedes
11-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Okay, Alden's last pick. Then Amber's.

Azar
11-01-2009, 09:33 PM
i'll take the +3 Defending Dagger, it will help when something is bigger than me lol, take that dragon, you will taste the sting of my mighty dagger.

Arkhemedes
11-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Sorry Azar, Cissinei took the dagger as her second pick. Try again.

Azar
11-02-2009, 12:21 AM
oops, didn't see her name there, i'll then take the potion of Bulls strength then.

traesin
11-02-2009, 12:25 AM
cure mod wounds.

Arkhemedes
11-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Great intro Marley. And it's fine if you want to put a minor OOC note in there. Just keep it to minimum (as you did) because, as you'll see, I go back and edit those things out.

Btw Marley, if you haven't already read them and would like descriptions of the other characters there in the barroom, see below:

Alden: post #2 pg 1
Krac: post #1 pg 1 & post #57 pg 4
Varian: post #1 pg 1 & post #57 pg 4
Amber: post #23 & #24 pg 2
Cissinei: post #34 pg 3

Shikaku
11-06-2009, 11:37 PM
gogo gadget hi numbers

Shikaku rolls some dice

Arkhemedes
11-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Okay, the hit points for first level will be max at 8 HP (no roll needed). So you only needed to roll once. And I'll take the first roll. So your character will start off with 15 HP at 2nd level.

Azar
11-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Nice to have you playing with us Shikaku.

Shikaku
11-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Heya, Thank you ) I thought you might need a character of certain....skill ^_^

Arkhemedes
11-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, my attempt at getting Marley's character interested in the group's conversation has apparently failed. Which puzzles me a bit as the news of the possibility of the Kargat chasing after one of the characters would be of extreme interest to Marley's character. Instead, it has apparently done just the opposite as he is now trying to avoid listening to the conversation. I'm afraid that I don't understand this. So I'm going to have to try a more direct approach.

traesin
11-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey try to remember that Anna is not in this game.

Arkhemedes
11-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I know. Amber is the one with the lowly 16 charisma, +9 on Bluff, and a charm person spell. Never mind. What was I thinking? ;)

Marley117
11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Well I just decided to completely ignore the whole last paragraph of his character sheet....either that or I completely forgot about it. :redface:

Let's just chalk it up to him not knowing if he can trust....anyone?

Arkhemedes
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Cool. Just trying to find an angle to get your character involved and make sound natural and not forced.

Marley117
11-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Got ya. Honestly shoulda jumped at that, just wasn't thinking. I am so tired and feeling really sick. I will post after i've had some sleep.

Arkhemedes
11-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Okay, sorry about all the small talk here lately. Obviously I've been trying to get the two new characters into the group in a natural fashion without making it appear forced, and this has taken a bit longer than I would have liked or expected. I'm hoping to wrap things up here at the inn soon however and move on with our story and the next adventure, and I would appreciate any help from you guys on working towards that goal as well.

Arkhemedes
12-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Take a look at the posting in the People, Places and Events thread, and learn a little bit about Maykle before continuing on. I will make another post soon concerning the locating of lodgings here in Maykle.

Azar
12-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm just as intimidating as a kitten, but a very big kitten.

Pul
12-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Hey, I tried to PM you arkhemedes, but I don't think it worked, so i decided to just show up here.

Think the site has something about no PM's for first 3 days, idk but whenever i clicked sent nothing appeared in sent folder. Either its blocking me or u have 2 PM's and now me appearing outta the blue here... Sorry!

Just letting you know that I'm here and ready to talk about joining and such

Azar
12-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey Pul, this is Grethek, but here you can call me Azar.

doktorsemsis
12-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Hello guys.
Thought it would be nice to say hi. I hope to jump into story as soon as possible, at the moment I'm studying the material. See you soon! :)

Arkhemedes
12-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Pretty much every group of adventurers that I've DMed in the past had an official group name. So I thought, why not this one? And now would be a good time to come up with a name. Generally, I've been the one to come up with the group name. But occasionally a player will come up with a name that we've all agreed on. And rather than spend a lot of posts in the 'in game' thread suggesting group names I would rather we did it here. So, any of you players, new or old or even those of you who have not yet joined the group, if you have an idea for a group name that you like, let's here it. Names of Ravenloft groups that I've had in the past (and are a part of this campaign's history btw), for example, include:

The Wanderers (named this because they never had any idea where they were going)
The Seekers (named this because they were all searching for something)
The Shadow Walkers (named this because they were all basically cursed and because one the character's names was Shadowborn)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Yeah, we borrowed this name)(named this because all of the characters were pretty unique - it had nothing to do with the comic book or movie)
The Mistborne (my current f2f group)(named this because all of the characters were brought together through the Mists)

Keep in mind, that the name should fit the group and work well with all the characters. If we don't get any names we can all agree on from the players, then I'll come up with one that I think works well.

Azar
12-31-2009, 08:07 PM
I actually was going to say The Seekers in my in game post, but i thought it would be cheasy, but now I don't think so, two great minds think alike.

I really like the wanderers as well, but the shadow walkers seems a bit evil. The league of extraordinary gentlemen wouldn't fit, I mean... two woman, I always thought that it was cheasy to have a woman in there when they called it gentlemen, whould have been poeple to me. It's also too long.

The mistborne sounds pretty cool, but Alden wasn't from the mist... was he?

I guess my vote would have to be The Wanderers.

Arkhemedes
12-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, actually, I don't want to use any of the above names as they have already been used by other groups. I just wanted to give some examples. So we need to come up with a name other than those above. After all, we can't have two groups running around in Ravenloft called The Wanderers. I've gone back and added explanations to each of the group names above to show examples of why groups were given certain names.

Azar
12-31-2009, 11:04 PM
darn, I guess i'll have to get my brain juices flowing to figure this one out.

Marley117
01-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Well we all seem to be out to right some wrongs. Does that help anything? Words...just cus this is how I think...
Revenge
Vengeance
Vendetta
Wrath
Resolution

Arkhemedes
01-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Hmm...not bad Marley. While I do think some of these words are a bit harsh, they do, on the other hand, seem to fit well with most of the characters, as you pointed out. So perhaps you are on the right track here.

traesin
01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Evil's Nemesis

Arkhemedes
01-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, that one is certainly blunt and to the point, traesin. But I think we need to find something a bit more subtle. If we were to announce ourselves as Evil's Nemesis, I think it would make us sound like fanatical crusaders or some kind of mad inquisition and every evil thing in our way would be seeking us out.

Azar
01-01-2010, 01:28 PM
The Rejects, just check out my IC post.

Arkhemedes
01-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Mmmm...not crazy about The Rejects. Don't think we need to pick a name that's insulting to us either. If we announce ourselves as The Rejects, people are going to wonder what's wrong with us.
Here's a few ideas:

The Knights of Vengeance
The Justifiers
The Hand of Retribution
The League of Shadows
The Eye of Wrath

Of course, these names can be switched around a bit. For example, I kind of like:

The Hand of Vengeance
The Knights of Shadow
The Eye of Retribution

'Shadow' of course doesn't necessarily imply anything evil but rather that the group works undercover or behind the scenes so to speak, like a guerrilla force, which is essentially what the group is. And 'Eye' fits well with the group as it counters and makes reference to King Azalin's all-seeing eye symbol and would symbolize the fact that the group is being formed in Darkon.

Or we could go with something more mysterious and abstract like:

The Black Company
The Knights of the Blade (referring, in part to the blade now carried by Alden)
The Blade of Vengeance
The Destined
The Fated Ones

So what do you guys think? Anything here pop-out at you or give you any other ideas?

traesin
01-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Well I guess "Dumb-asses are us" is out. :) I love the names you suggested, but I'm not sure they fit us. At least not yet. Something that is not so imposing. In a since we are a bunch of kids.

Azar
01-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Man this is hard, we haven't really done anything that has earned us a title of some sort.

And another side note, what exactly are we doing, I have gotten lost in game, just going with the flow, aren't we supposed to take Varien to Mordent, sorry, been busy trying to get my new game started.

traesin
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
The riders of fate

Arkhemedes
01-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Man this is hard, we haven't really done anything that has earned us a title of some sort.

And another side note, what exactly are we doing, I have gotten lost in game, just going with the flow, aren't we supposed to take Varien to Mordent, sorry, been busy trying to get my new game started.

Holy cow Azar! :eek:You amaze me sometimes. That last sentence you wrote has at least 5 sentences in it, two of which are questions, and yet you have no question marks and only one period. :lol:

As for the questions - are you serious? You don't remember killing a doppleganger at the inn a couple of days ago, the possible threat of being hunted by the Kargat, the discussion on altered memories for people who have come to Darkon, and a trip down the river on a barge? Because that's pretty much it. Now we're on our way to Mordent because Varian wants to do some training there and Amber is looking for some answers that might help to explain her powers. It's not any more complicated than that.

As for the fact that the group hasn't done a whole lot to deserve some of the suggested names - it doesn't matter. What matters is what the group stands for and what their goal is. The name of a group, like the name of a team in sports for example, is intended to bring the group together and to inspire them, rather than as a title that gets tacked on like some kind of medal after the fact.

Azar
01-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Holy cow Azar! :eek:You amaze me sometimes. That last sentence you wrote has at least 5 sentences in it, two of which are questions, and yet you have no question marks and only one period. :lol:

As for the questions - are you serious? You don't remember killing a doppleganger at the inn a couple of days ago, the possible threat of being hunted by the Kargat, the discussion on altered memories for people who have come to Darkon, and a trip down the river on a barge? Because that's pretty much it. Now we're on our way to Darkon because Varian wants to do some training there and Amber is looking for some answers that might help to explain her powers. It's not any more complicated than that.

As for the fact that the group hasn't done a whole lot to deserve some of the suggested names - it doesn't matter. What matters is what the group stands for and what their goal is. The name of a group, like the name of a team in sports for example, is intended to bring the group together and to inspire them, rather than as a title that gets tacked on like some kind of medal after the fact.

:pout: :frown: :sad: :sorry:, I have been busy, and yes, I do remember all that. I merely forgot why Varian wants to head for Darkon, and... sorry traesin, but I did forget that amber wanted to get some answers.

I also thought we where in Darkon, and we where heading to Mordent, so I was clueless there, and yes, I have problems with typing, thanks for pointing it out to everyone else. I know everyone probably knows, but that doesn't make me feel better:redface:. I feel like i'm getting yelled at becasue I forgot things, I get that enough from my parents. Do you like picking on people who are not as bright as you, or is something else.:mad: :frusty: :yell:

I like the game, but it's no fun when I feel like i'm the dumbest one here, wich, grant you, I probably am. I play these games to have fun, and it seems that thats not happening. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arkhemedes
01-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Sorry, but you asked me on the thread. So I answered you on the thread. And don't worry. You're not the dumbest one here. You were right about going to Mordent. I typed in the wrong destination. That's my bad. :redface:

That's what I get for staying up past my bedtime and typing while half asleep, I guess...that and for typing while I'm feeling some frustration from another pbp, if you know what I mean. So again, sorry for taking it out on you.

Marley117
01-02-2010, 09:20 AM
I like the Knights of Shadow, or the Eye of Retribution, or Knights of Retribution.
Wrath's Justifiers? Hrm...no...still thinking.

Arkhemedes
01-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Okay, at this point, (not to give too much away here) I have a plot element ready and waiting to be thrown into the story. But I would like to resolve the naming of the group before I move on to it - thus I'm sort of stalling for time in the game thread a bit.

So, after some more thinking, I think I've narrowed it down to two names I like best:

The Knights of Shadow
The Eye of Vengeance

Sure they may sound a bit grand or even presumptuous for a group of 'kids'. But it's assumed the group will be around for years and the characters should be inspired and grow into the name by accomplishing great things. So, I'm taking votes on the two names above. You guys decide.

traesin
01-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Knights

Azar
01-03-2010, 01:01 PM
my votes the knigts of shadow

Arkhemedes
01-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Azar, sorry I had to delete your last post. But unfortunately you can't chose to go into senseless rage. I think if that were an option most of the players would chose to do that almost every time. Remember that if you want to avoid making the horror check, the only action you'll be able to make, other than to stand frozen in shock or become physically ill, is to run away in fear. If you want to attack, you'll have to make the roll. Also, keep in mind, that failing a horror check does not necessarily mean that you will not be able to fight as there are many possible outcomes of a failed check, including senseless rage. My advice, in this case, since you face an obvious deadly threat, is to go ahead and make the roll.

Marley117
01-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Just to clarify. If I were to act horrified...would I have to act that way the ENTIRE combat?

Arkhemedes
01-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes, you would effectively be taking yourself out of the entire combat if you chose to act horrified rather than make the roll. This is why I recommend making the roll in this case...unless you don't think your services will be needed.

Marley117
01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Hah i'll make the roll. Sadly me and this online roller don't get along too well....and I have horrible will thingies :P lets see.

EDIT* HECK YES I rolled a 19....as to the 'please don't be die'

I don't wanna talk about it. I was originally please don't be dead but I changed it...and forgot to change the rest.

/sigh

all your base....are belong to us ;)

Arkhemedes
01-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Well, good news. Alden, Amber and Leon all passed the horror checks.

Varian likewise passed the check with ease.

Cissinei, unfortunately, failed it.

So, it's time for initiative rolls. Roll on this thread.

Marley117
01-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Inititative

traesin
01-09-2010, 01:48 AM
initiative

Azar
01-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Initiative

sahelfootball82
01-10-2010, 06:57 AM
I haven't had a chance to read through the story yet, so I don't know what kinds of characters you have but a great word for titles that mixes things up and adds the concept of a warrior but in a cooler sounding word is Vanguard, just to throw that out there.

Arkhemedes
01-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks. But a bit late at this point. My current f2f Greyhawk campaign actually uses that name. They are called the Righteous Vanguard.

Varian's initiative

Cissinei's initiative

Sebastian's initiative

dark figure's initiative

The initiative order is as follows:

Cissinei

Leon

Varian

dark figure

Amber

Alden

Sebastian

Marley117
01-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't know exactly what this would be in DnD terms...overrun? I want to knock him down. Anyway here is the shield slam or whatever.

BOOM

Azar
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Well it's pathfinder so you have to roll your CMB(Combat Manuever Bonus) vs. the creatures CMD(Combat Defense Bonus)

Your CMB total is

BAB+STR Bonus+size modifier(if any)

So you may have to reroll that, if it's higher than +4, wich I think it is, because your second level, and a fighter.

traesin
01-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Well at least I'm not last. :)

sahelfootball82
01-11-2010, 05:55 AM
oops forgot to add constitution bonus to that

hit points

Arkhemedes
01-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Sahelfootball82, I will accept the 2nd die roll for hit points in this case. But note to all players: Anytime a die roll is made, from here on I will accept only the first die roll made (provided the right size and number of dice were correct in that roll) regardless of whether or not any modifiers that should have been added were actually added. If any modifiers need to be added but weren't in the original roll, they can be added on after the fact. This includes Leon's attempt to overrun above. I will determine the success of that roll later on tonight.

Marley117
01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Well regardless...I am pretty sure I failed

Can someone give me the number then? I am not familiar with Pathfinder, just made the character DnD style and it was ok'ed.

Azar
01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
I would, but I don't know your strenth modifier, if I knew that, I could help you. I'll let Arl take this one, so it doesn't look like i'm trying to know more about your character X D

Arkhemedes
01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Leon's CMB is +5. So his attack roll for the attempted overrun would be a 7. As for any combat maneuver attempted the opponent can make an attack of opportunity. Leon's AC is normally a 20. But with the mobility feat, it is 24 vs. AoO. And with an overrun, the opponent can also chose to avoid you, allowing you to pass through the square without requiring an attack roll.

sahelfootball82
01-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Understood (about the whole rolling deal). Of course I plan to just get it right the first time from here on out, but we all know how likely THAT is :-)

Marley117
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
+5 got it.

Well...with a 7...I don't think it matters anyway -.- Either he's gonna move or i'm gonna miss.
Edit* read the post. Bah tis only a flesh wound. 29 to hit barely scratched! ONLY 18 damage. I can take another. Come on ya dark pansy!

*bleed bleed*

Arkhemedes
01-12-2010, 02:17 PM
:lol:

Excellent post in the game thread Marley!

Marley117
01-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks!

I know, ooc it was stupid to charge a vampire at lvl 2. Honestly, I forgot all about attacks of opportunity (dang world of darkness)

I just figured, what would I do if I was bleeding out and all of that stuff just went down? Friends! Got into the moment. :] Glad you liked it. Hopefully he can stay alive for a few more rounds next time haha. Or at least stay above almost dead.

Azar
01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
How do you no it's a vampire eh.:shocked:

Marley117
01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
I honestly don't. That was just a guess since I am playing in a Vampire the Masquerade game and most vampires have fangs....drink blood...and a few of them can even turn into mist? Call it a blood loss induced vision.

traesin
01-12-2010, 04:09 PM
i hate this dice roller sometimes....

sahelfootball82
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Ouch...and it was a wonderful adventure bonus too. Sad day...sad, sad day.

Marley117
01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks anyway. Every bit helps right? :]

traesin
01-12-2010, 05:32 PM
yep

Arkhemedes
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, but I kind of wish traesin had waited for me to post and not used the healing potion. Varian could have easily healed him up without using the healing potion. Just hate to see healing potions used in a non-combat situation when there is a cleric standing there with plenty of spells left. To me that's a waste of a healing potion when it can be a life saver during the midst of a battle and the cleric is unable to get to someone in urgent need of healing. But then, I do understand a character that's "in the moment" and just wants to help anyway she can without giving it too much thought.

Azar
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
That should lead to an xp bonus for traesin then, awsome RPing:biggrin:

Arkhemedes
01-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Sure. I'll give her a 100 point bonus for good role playing and a 100 point penalty for bad decision making. Sound good? ;)

Just kidding, Traesin. :biggrin:

EDIT; Yeah, that healing potion sure sucked alright. But Varian's spells rocked. Funny how that works isn't it?

traesin
01-13-2010, 02:36 AM
I totally blame it on being sick....:)

Marley117
01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I am actually not complaining about people fighting over helping me. This is nice.

Arkhemedes
01-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Okay guys, let's hold off on posting in the game thread for a bit. I think we're about to have a new character join us (sahelfootball82).

EDIT: Oop...but then again, maybe not. Sorry, false alarm.

2nd EDIT: Yey, we finally have a new character join in! Something I just noticed though. Cardboard Tube Knight, who originally created the character of Cissinei which I took over as an NPC when he left, unfortunately deleted his character sheet before I got the chance to make a copy of it. So I had to rebuild the character from memory. I was thinking she was fully human (she never had a background). But after Sahel's intro, where he mentions her pointed ears, I went to look at her original description. I could not find any mention of pointed ears, but it does say something about her features being very human-like. So now I'm thinking that she was meant to be half-elf. Any comments on this from anyone?

Arkhemedes
01-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Just to sort of clarify things a bit. As you all, I'm sure, have been aware of for some time now, Zeliex was apparently killed by a vampire. This should come as no surprise to any of you. However, I do say apparently, as I'm not going to confirm anything here. But something to try and keep in mind is that, despite this being Ravenloft, the people who live in this land are nowhere near as aware of some of the things that really happen here as are the players. In fact there are many residents who scoff at the idea of things like ghosts and vampires. The extreme opposite can also be true, where superstitious and paranoid people blame everything on ghosts and other things that go bump in the night. My point here being that, when Sergeant Ragnol announces that he believes Zeliex was killed by a vampire, the characters, while they may have suspected the same thing themselves, should avoid saying or thinking things like: "Well, duh!" or "No sh*t Sherlock!" Rather, this should be more of a confirmation of something they were afraid of themselves.

traesin
01-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I wondered why you had so many npc's all of a sudden. Ah well another red shirt is dead. Your new title "Arkhemedes the NPC killer" Don't make friends with any or they will die!!!! :)

Arkhemedes
01-17-2010, 02:49 PM
It's Ravenloft. People die. Get used to it. :)

Azar
01-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Okay guys, let's hold off on posting in the game thread for a bit. I think we're about to have a new character join us (sahelfootball82).

EDIT: Oop...but then again, maybe not. Sorry, false alarm.

2nd EDIT: Yey, we finally have a new character join in! Something I just noticed though. Cardboard Tube Knight, who originally created the character of Cissinei which I took over as an NPC when he left, unfortunately deleted his character sheet before I got the chance to make a copy of it. So I had to rebuild the character from memory. I was thinking she was fully human (she never had a background). But after Sahel's intro, where he mentions her pointed ears, I went to look at her original description. I could not find any mention of pointed ears, but it does say something about her features being very human-like. So now I'm thinking that she was meant to be half-elf. Any comments on this from anyone?

:eek: Thought she was half elf as well, thats how I always saw her.
I can change my last post, if Amber does not want to do anything in my post. I will change it if you want. Just thought it would be what Alden would do. : )

traesin
01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
nope. your good.

Arkhemedes
01-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Wow, you guys sure are being hard on the constables. Can you blame them for being just a little skeptical? If someone told you they saw a vampire, would you believe them?

As for the amount of time it took for them to arrive, consider this: A combat round is six seconds. There are ten combat rounds in a minute. In this world, by any standards, if the police arrive at the scene of a crime within a minute or two of the crime they would be considered very fast. And yet, you guys are complaining that the constables didn't arrive within the first six seconds! Remember that the vampire left in the very first round of the fight. Some PCs never even got to take a swing at it. And you guys would have never seen it either if Sebastian had not barked at the door to the inn. So if you want to blame someone for the constables not showing up any sooner, blame yourselves because you didn't call for them.

And quit being so hard on the constables. They're just trying to do their jobs. :biggrin:

sahelfootball82
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
And quit being so hard on the constables. They're just trying to do their jobs. :biggrin:

This coming from the man who has already killed off about half of his NPC's ;)
And just so you know I am thoroughly enjoying this, so just keep doing what you're doing Arkhemedes.

Arkhemedes
01-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks. I've got some great stuff just ahead too. I can hardly wait.

Oh, and body count? You ain't seen nothin' yet! :biggrin:

traesin
01-19-2010, 04:02 AM
as long as it's not us.

Azar
01-19-2010, 03:49 PM
as long as it's not us.

I second that!

Marley117
01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
You must also consider this, characters don't count the number of seconds they fight. Players can say, yes it was one turn, but to a character who just saw a dead friend, who is blinded by rage and probably suffering from a bit of blood loss (cough leon cough) then 6 seconds feels like FOREVER.

Plus...he didn't really believe in vampires...he was incredulous when they mentioned it, then jumped too 'so you know about them and haven't done anything?'

I agree though...great game :)

Arkhemedes
01-21-2010, 10:58 PM
True...

...understood...

...and Thank You.

As it might be apparent with all the dialogue, I'm trying to get through some of the more tedious but necessary (I think) details in order to move the story along to more interesting things. But at the same time I want the players to have their say as well. I think you guys are doing a great job also, and I hope everyone is okay with the pace at this point.

Marley117
01-22-2010, 10:19 AM
I find tedious dialogue sort of fun actually. I really like the way you play everyone and we aren't the heroes....but seem more normal and looked down upon by everyone. I actually like that.

Arkhemedes
01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Cool. One of the aspects of Ravenloft is that characters (players) should be made to feel like they're outsiders and on their own...like they're in an episode of the Twilight Zone or something. Townsfolk are generally very suspicious of the PCs and not very talkative, often accusing PCs of things because they don't really understand what is happening. PCs should also get the sense that they are sometimes dealing with things far more powerful than they are.

Unlike most D&D worlds where PCs are used to being the heroes and taking on every foe that comes their way, PCs need to feel that sometimes the odds are heavily stacked against them and that it may be best to run away than to fight. PCs need to pick their battles and it often becomes a test to merely survive as opposed to being victorious. As examples, think of most horror movies where the main characters are just trying to survive the night in the haunted mansion or the camp where the axe wielding maniac is running around.

Hopefully this is coming off like it should. It seems like it is from most of the posts you guys have been putting up.

traesin
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I love it...

sahelfootball82
01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
It adds a more realistic and frantic feel to the game that I've really enjoyed thus far.

Azar
01-22-2010, 08:31 PM
It's hard for me to do that, probably because I like playing heroes, and not a frantic kid. Don't get me wrong, I like Alden, I just can't see why he would stay in the party. Especially since he hasn't had a good life. And now all of a sudden, more and more death is pilling on him.

Arkhemedes
01-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, first of all, I think you're doing a fine job with Alden.

But secondly, no one said you have to play the frantic kid. He can be heroic. He just needs to know what he can handle - when it's best to fight and when it's best to run. There is a difference between being heroic and being foolish.

As for why he would stay in the party? - because we wouldn't stand a chance out on his own.

Also, I don't understand why Alden puts so much blame on himself. Even if monsters are after him, (and I'm not saying they are) it isn't as if he did anything wrong to deserve it. So he's got nothing to feel guilty about. For all he knows, the monsters are after everyone, and Alden's leaving the group isn't going to change that fact.

traesin
01-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Also he has friends now and I don't think he would abandon them.

Azar
01-23-2010, 02:33 AM
true, true, I am definately going to add some heroicness to him soon. He is just overwhelmed with so much death.
remeber traesin, if you don't like anything I post, just tell me. And I will change it.

traesin
01-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Don't worry. I will. :)

sahelfootball82
01-23-2010, 07:44 PM
In defense of Alden's current character, there is certainly a personality type that when something goes wrong they can very quickly rationalize a way that it was their fault somehow. They may be out in left-field sometimes but they can pull it off to convince themselves. I actually have found Alden to be a very believable character because of that fact (but maybe that has something to do with that being part of my personality anyway :p). Just my two cents worth (though probably only worth one cent, but hey, it's an old adage and who really wants to mess with tradition anyway).

Arkhemedes
01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Oh, I absolutely agree. I'm just saying that if Azar would prefer a playing more heroic character, or one that doesn't blame himself so much, no one is stopping him from doing so. But you are right, it is a very believable response, and I like the fact that Azar has chosen a personality quirk or a flaw for Alden. It makes him a much more interesting and believable character. As I said, I think Azar is doing a fine job with him. I also wouldn't mind seeing a little character (personality) growth too. Stagnant, never-evolving personalities can be a bit dull as well.

sahelfootball82
01-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh, so very, very true. I'm still working out what sorts of quirks and blemishes to add to Rune.

Azar
01-24-2010, 02:19 AM
LOL, I like Alden, I just don't know what to do with him. But I guess (by accident) I made him into a believable character... cool :biggrin:

sahelfootball82
01-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Well now you have a little nudging to help him along :)

Arkhemedes
01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Alright, as stated in my last game post, I will bring the game's evening to a close. I will probably do this Monday evening. So if there is anything else you want to add before the end of this game night, do so before then.

sahelfootball82
01-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Arkhemedes, since I already know all that took place you can pretty much just state through narative whether she agrees to tell him or not, it just fit Rune's character so I added it in there.

traesin
01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm done.

Arkhemedes
01-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Eh, just didn't have time to post tonight. Will try Tuesday night.

Marley117
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
whenever you can bossman

sahelfootball82
01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
We all look forward to whatever might be coming up next :)

Arkhemedes
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Due the length of the last post, I did not entirely end the night. So if there is anything else anyone wants to interject at this point, you may do so. But please note, the later portion of the last post is not information that the characters are privy to. It is only there to a add a little tension and drama to the story. SO, DO NOT USE THE INFORMATION IN ANY OF YOUR POSTS OR FOR YOUR BENEFIT. IT IS PLAYER KNOWLEDGE ONLY. If I feel that anyone has done otherwise, I may have to delete your post.

Thank you, and Mwaahaahaahaaaa! :behindsofa:

Arkhemedes
01-27-2010, 11:15 PM
I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that I got no posts or comments after post #215 in the game thread, particularly since I know everyone checked in after I put it up. And frankly, I'm not sure what to make of it. Was everyone so flabbergasted and spellbound that they were left speechless? Or was it so humdrum and predictable that it wasn't worth commenting on? Or perhaps something else altogether? Hmmm, will we ever know? Jk.

Anyway, I plan on finishing the night out on Thursday evening. So tune in for more spine-tingling mysteries that are sure to thrill, chill and amaze!

(Yeah, yeah, whatever. :rolleyes:)

sahelfootball82
01-28-2010, 02:25 AM
I think the whole nobody posting was that we are all just waiting for the night to end because we are pretty much all already in our rooms going to bed.

traesin
01-28-2010, 02:39 AM
oh we were supposed to say something.?. I'm just intrigued.

Arkhemedes
01-28-2010, 08:37 AM
I think the whole nobody posting was that we are all just waiting for the night to end because we are pretty much all already in our rooms going to bed.
Actually, I figured the same as well.

Arkhemedes
01-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to let everyone know that I've come down with a bug of some kind and I'm really feeling awful. So it may be some time before I'm able up to doing any posting (or anything). Hopefully, it won't be too long.

traesin
01-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Drink lots of oj.

sahelfootball82
01-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I guess maybe we'll just chat among ourselves for a while then.

Arkhemedes
01-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Okay, I had to get something posted before you guys did too much talking amongst yourselves. Feel free to do so now. Traesin, go ahead and include Cissinei in your next post. She'll go with Amber downstairs.

Azar, I really wish you had told me it was Alden's intention to stay up all night. Things would have gone quite differently if you had told me ahead of time. This is why I gave you guys chances to interject during the night. But, no big deal, I guess. Just remember it for next time. As it is, Alden will be suffering penalties for fatigue. More on that later.

Azar
01-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Figures, but I had to do it.

Arkhemedes
01-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Well, my point is that, had you told me ahead of time that Alden was going to stay up all night, I would have had him witness the figure in the asylum grounds as well, and maybe more. But since you waited until afterwords to say anything, you got nothing out of it. So, no you didn't have to do it, because all you got was a sleepless night and a case of fatigue that my hinder you later in the day. Not worth it.

Azar
01-31-2010, 09:33 PM
well, before you pressed on in your game, I even made Alden say, that he was taking a nap, so he can stay up, and be a lookout if anything happens. But we shouldn't dwell on the past : )

Arkhemedes
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Sorry, I missed that. I just checked it and you're right. I'm going to blame it on my illness (Seriously, I was in rough shape the last few days).

The problem is that by the time you said that Alden was taking a nap, it was already very late in the evening. You're nap could not have been for very long.

Tomorrow night, the funeral, and then off we go.

Marley117
02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Is it ok if I adopt Sebastian?

Arkhemedes
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
That would actually be great if you did. At first, I was a bit opposed to the dog (dogs don't seem to live long in my campaigns for some reason). But I've kind of grown fond of him. Still, I would rather have someone else deal with him for the most part - one less thing for me to keep track of. Just be aware that, from time to time, for various reasons, I might assume control of the dog, as dogs have minds of their own as well.

traesin
02-03-2010, 02:30 AM
can I have a pet cat? :)

Arkhemedes
02-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Oh no, here we go again. The walking zoo has begun. :doh: Okay, I'll make a stray cat available if you want. But I have to warn everyone. I tend to be very hard on pets, as they don't go well with an adventuring band that's always on the move and they tend to have short life expectancies. Plus, in Ravenloft, I look for ways to torment PCs which includes killing loved ones and pets. I told Shikaku this when he brought Sebastian in and was okay with it saying that the loss of his beloved pet would be a good role playing angle. So don't get a pet unless you're prepared to lose it.

Marley117
02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't want a pet lol, it fell into my lap. They bonded in the night :P Poor Sebastian.

traesin
02-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Can I have a pet treant instead? (giggling):)

(I don't really want a pet. They are a pain to keep track of.)

Azar
02-03-2010, 02:00 PM
ya, and I want a pet Iron Golem :D

Tim Proctor
02-05-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm new to the group and should be joining the fray here shortly. I'm going to be playing a Skill Monger (the only thing that I saw the group lacking).

However since it's Ravencroft we're all doomed anyways so I guess there is little point in trying to fill in absences that the group might have :D

He's a lawyer that served in the military as a Judge Advocate General and has recently broken out to private practice. He's seen war, betrayl, torture and feels violated about the disillusionment of life.

So I hope to see everyone soon and hope that I can contribute to the entertainment value of the group.

Azar
02-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Glad to see your interst in this Proctor, and I can't to play with you in LoR to.

sahelfootball82
02-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Welcome to the chaos and panic, Proctor. I was actually hoping we'd get a skill monkey, because we really could use one when it comes to solving things.

traesin
02-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Yea. other non red shirt.

Tim Proctor
02-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I have no intention of playing Ensign Ricky

http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/images/star-trek-fake-inspirational-posters-expendability1.jpg

HP

Arkhemedes
02-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Reroll your hp, Ensign Ricky...er, I mean Tim. I don't accept ones on hp.

Tim Proctor
02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
HP Reroll

Arkhemedes
02-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Sahel, I made a correction in your last post. The gargoyles were around the cemetery, not the asylum.

sahelfootball82
02-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Ah, my apologies, thank you for correcting me.

Tim Proctor
02-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Game Timeline

Day 1, Thursday, October 3rd, Year 741 of the Barovian Calendar: Alden, Amber and Cissinei arrive at Ardmor's Inn and Trading Post where several guests of the inn are killed by Rudvarien the doppelganger.
Day 2, Friday, October 4th: Victim's at the inn are buried. Zeliex, Sebastian and Leon arrive at the inn.
Day 3, Saturday, October 5th: Group travels by barge to Maykle where Zeliex is killed. Rune joins the group.
Day 4, Sunday, October 6th: Zeliex is buried.

Someone in the group is unlucky, like Angela Lansbury from Murder She Wrote, wherever they go people die.

After reading most of the back story I got to say this sounds really exciting, I like the dynamic of what's going on.:biggrin:

traesin
02-06-2010, 12:03 AM
aye-up. they drop like flies around us.

Arkhemedes
02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
5 bodies in three days. Not bad aye?

Okay Tim, this is your cue.

Btw, I figure that Rune and Tim's character will be invited to become official members of the Knights once they have been involved in their first mini-adventure with the group, which will begin very soon.

sahelfootball82
02-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Yey! Adventure, and admission into the Knight of Shadow!! :D

Tim Proctor
02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Sorry everyone, my first post and I've screwed it up already.

Azar
02-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Who the hell is the Knight commander is what I want to know, my vote is for Alden :D

Arkhemedes
02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I figured you would say that. Hang on. We're still trying to get this right.

Tim Proctor
02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Okay, fixed it. Matt would assume the Knight's Commander is the best dressed and most Noble looking.

I assumed that 'knights' were people in armor and insignia. I thought the group was a bunch of heavily armored people wearing insignia, capes, and fun stuff like that. My bad, I'll try not to screw everything up from here on. :lol:

Arkhemedes
02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Alright, proceed. :biggrin:

Marley117
02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
gah sorry I have missed so much. I just got a lot of stuff going on. I'm back.

traesin
02-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I see I missed all the fun by sleeping. (I blame it on Ark)

Tim Proctor
02-07-2010, 10:47 AM
So what does everyone's characters look like?

Matt Locke, Esquire is a 6 foot tall 220 lbs, red headed noble who looks like he used to be in good shape but for the last couple years has been letting himself go. He has wrinkles on his face like an alcoholic. He wears courtesans clothes as common for men of court, because they are more utilitarian than noble or royalty clothing.

Arkhemedes
02-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Tim, I had to make an adjustment to your last post because I need the group to travel by land at this point. I also added the name of the inn in the letter, as there are a number of inns in the city.iss

As for the descriptions of the others, you can find their descriptions in the following posts in the game threads:

Alden - Chapter One, page 1, post #2
Amber - Chapter One, page 2, post #23 & #24
Cissinei - Chapter One, page 3, post #34
Leon - Chapter Two, page 1, post #8
Rune - Chapter Two, page 11, post #156

Varian is a fairly handsome young man, 19 years of age, 6', 190 lbs., brown eyes, black hair, wearing scalemail, wooden shield, and a longsword.

Tim Proctor
02-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Not a problem, feel free to make any changes like that as often as you need to.

traesin
02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Tim, I had to make an adjustment to your last post because I need the group to travel by land at this point. I also added the name of the inn in the letter, as there are a number of inns in the city.iss

As for the descriptions of the others, you can find their descriptions in the following posts in the game threads:

Alden - Chapter One, page 1, post #2
Amber - Chapter One, page 2, post #23 & #24
Cissinei - Chapter One, page 3, post #34
Leon - Chapter Two, page 1, post #8
Rune - Chapter Two, page 11, post #156

Varian is a fairly handsome young man, 19 years of age, 6', 190 lbs., brown eyes, black hair, wearing scalemail, wooden shield, and a longsword.
Oh Varian......

Tim Proctor
02-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Is there something going on, on why no one is posting?

Arkhemedes
02-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Uh, whoever Doomboy911 is, I hope you didn't spend too much time making the character above because it has not been approved (and will not be approved) for play in this pbp. If you would like to join in on this pbp, you need to read the rules and contact me to see if there is an opening first.

sahelfootball82
02-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Ok, I'm trying to make sure our friend Matlock, sorry I mean Matt Locke, tells us the truth now.

Sense Motive Check

Tim Proctor
02-11-2010, 02:21 PM
You guys can kill the character. I didn't know when I made him that Ark was against P2P use of Bluff, Diplomacy, etc. I started off on the first post Bluffing to the group so unless Ark wants it to work I don't see a way that it will.

traesin
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Just start over, Kind like: Okay Okay your right but, this is what I was trying to do.... type thing.

Tim Proctor
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
The guys skill set is all wrong, I'd have to make a whole new character or run around with a Character that is a gimp, so kill him.

sahelfootball82
02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Bluff and illusions and everything is not a gimp at all, not quite the right stuff for keeping secrets from the rest of the group (to do that you just use careful wording :D) but since so much of this campaign is about figuring out secrets those skills will be AWESOME for dealing with the NPC's we come across. I'm actually enjoying the role-playing of dealing with a character we don't quite trust right now, it adds a very fun dynamic to the game.

Arkhemedes
02-11-2010, 06:52 PM
It's not so much that I'm against Bluff, Diplomacy, etc. when used on other players, though I did say in Azar's game that I was not crazy about it. But when Tim first used it in this game I was perfectly fine with it. I voiced no complaint then and I'm not now. It is a part of the game and the rules for the game. And I do agree with Tim that such skills should be used (as is the case with any skill based on an ability score) to mimic the attributes of a character that the player may not have (for example a player who is normally shy and reserved playing a character with an 18 charisma, or a player with an average intelligence playing a character with an 18 intelligence).

The problem with Tim's character, Matt, in my opinion, stems from a couple of... misunderstandings, shall we say? (I don't want to say mistakes because that may not be entirely accurate).

1) I think we are all aware that because the group calls themselves the Knights of Shadow, that Tim did not fully comprehend the nature of the group, assuming them to be a proper knightly order with a strict code of conduct. Because of this, Tim's character concept was slightly off track from the beginning.

2) The second problem was the method in which he was introduced. Perhaps I did not make myself as fully understood as I could have, (and because of the unusual nature of the character I did have some difficulty coming up with a background and a viable means of introducing the character) but whatever the case, Tim and I were clearly not on the same page, so to speak. And despite my concerns and warnings about how to start the game off for Matt, (I truly believe he should have been honest from the start) Tim chose to have Matt tell the group a series of lies instead, even forging a letter to support these lies.

I thought I would give it some time to see if Matt would finally tell the truth. But he never did, and in fact the lies continued. When it finally got to the point where Matt's lies were causing the group to get seriously side-tracked, I knew then that I had to do something about it.

As a DM, I am all about the story, and will not jeopardize a believable plotline simply to fix a problem that has more to do with the game than it does the story. So I did what I could to steer things in a direction where I could fix the problem, and quickly. It may have been a bit of a stretch for Varian and Cissinei to come to the conclusion that Matt had been lying to them. But I don't think it was beyond the realm of possibility, considering how paranoid the group is by this point.

The last post I made was basically meant to be Matt's last chance to come clean. But even if he did start telling the truth at this point, it seems to me that the damage is done. They now know him to be a liar and a corrupt city official (despite his lawful alignment and his constant demands for justice), which, of course makes him a hypocrit as well. Considering all of this, and nothing that really works in his favor, how could the group ever accept him into the group or even as a traveling companion, for that matter? This of course, is the very reason I recommended being honest from the start (although I never actually said this in so many words, but then I had no idea Matt would start off by lying so much).

Don't get me wrong though. It's not my intent here to berate Tim in any way or start up another debate. I'm just stating the facts as I see them and giving a brief explanation of some of what's been going on behind the scenes for the benefit of those players who may be wandering what the heck is going on.

Despite, all of the craziness and problems here, I agree with Sahel, and I think we still have a good story going on (again, partly due to the fact that I tried not to jeopardize it while I was trying to steer it back on track). I think that the idea of a PC turning out to be (or at least believed to be) a traitor is very interesting (I say believed to be because, while Matt may be a liar, this does not necessarily mean he works for the Kargat).

Now, where do we go from here? Well, I suppose that if Tim would rather have us kill the character, then I will give Tim some time to respond (as Matt in whatever way he chooses to). Then we will follow through with whatever we decide is best. If however, Tim would rather not deal with it anymore, then I will assume the role of the character for the time being, and again we can deal with things as they seem best. After all, good skills set or not, Matt is starting off in a mighty deep hole at this point.

Tim Proctor
02-11-2010, 08:50 PM
You can't blame me for getting off track when I don't know what the track is. The only goal I've had so far so to integrate myself into the group, I did.

Like I said you can change any of my posts to go with the path that you need the group to take, just like with the boat thing. But if you don't tell me something you can't expect me to uphold it.

Now kill that character or change them into an NPC because I'm done with this.

Arkhemedes
02-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Actually Tim, I can blame you. None of the other players had as much difficulty understanding the nature of the group. Clearly you did not read enough to understand what it was all about.

As for the goal of integrating yourself into the group, I would have to say that you failed miserably at that. Getting a few people to talk to you is hardly integrating yourself.

I also quite clearly told you in no uncertain terms, that getting the group to trust you would be tricky. That is one thing I did tell you, and yet you chose to fabricate some wild story about assassins and an investigation into Sergeant Ragnol. That was all you.

Now that you have chosen to quit the group, do not bother to make any further posts here or anywhere else in the Dead of the Night group, as they will be deleted. I'm sorry that things had to end this way, but I believe it's for the best.

To everyone else, it's time to roll initiative.

Varian's initiative

Cissinei's intiative

Matt's initiative

traesin
02-12-2010, 02:57 AM
init

Amber
figures.....

sahelfootball82
02-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Initiative: Rune

Azar
02-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Initiative!!!!!!

Init

Arkhemedes
02-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Okay guys, I will allow the brief outcry from Alden before Cissinei fires her bow. But that is it. No more posts in the game thread until it is your turn in initiative order. You can make your decision about whether or not to attack at that time.

sahelfootball82
02-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Is it still Cissenei's turn then?

Arkhemedes
02-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Yeah, it looks like it will be. I wanted to give Marley time to roll initiative. But if we don't hear from him today, I will have Cissinei make her move this evening.

Marley117
02-14-2010, 01:20 AM
My bad guys. Was crunch time with school :/

Initiative

Arkhemedes
02-14-2010, 09:08 AM
No problem Marley.

It is now Alden's turn, followed by Matt, and then Leon, and then Amber.

Azar
02-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I am sorry to say I will not be playing in this game anymore, I am sorry for the inconvenience( probably spelled that wrong :P). I hope you all have a fun time playing.

~Azar

Arkhemedes
02-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Alright, it is now Leon's turn, and Rune needs to make a Fortitude save vs. poison, DC 11.

Marley117
02-14-2010, 05:48 PM
blinkblinkblinkblink

Why did we just lose Azar too?

And just to let you know, my comp just got a huge virus,=/. It is completely owned..caput...dead...so I am on my laptop. I don't know how long it will be until it is fixed, but it may be a little bit long in between my posting times. I am really sorry.

sahelfootball82
02-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Fortitude vs Poison

Arkhemedes
02-15-2010, 07:16 PM
No problem, Marley. But thanks for the heads-up.

Short night for me tonight. But I should be posting a good amount in the next few days.

We should also be getting a new player very soon, and I'm really looking forward to his joining as he is a player in my f2f game.

Arkhemedes
02-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Okay Drumjab, I'm going to assume that your character is completely healed at this point, since it was never really determined how many hit points he was down to begin with - which brings up another matter: I still don't have a hit point total for him. You never rolled for his second level hit points. :biggrin: He starts off with 11 hit points for first level, plus d8+1 for second level. You can roll here on this thread.

Also, while his studded leather is damaged, it can be easily repaired to as good as new whenever you have the opportunity to do so.

Great posts everyone btw. :cool:

Oh, and one more thing - I went and saw "The Wolfman" today. Good Ravenloft - type movie with an outstanding Gothic horror look and feel to it. I highly recommend for fans of Gothic horror/Ravenloft.

Drumjab
02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Ah, yes. Hit points would be a good thing, I suppose.

Level 2 hit points

I'm thinking about going to see the movie, but I'm sure my powers of frugality will probably keep me away from the theaters.

By the way, thanks for allowing me to join. From what I read so far, it seems everyone is making this very interesting.

sahelfootball82
02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I must agree with you Drumjab...this has certainly been a very interesting campaign, and I've only been in it for a little while.

Arkhemedes
02-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Something that I forgot to do in all the confusion with losing our last couple of players, was to mention that Zeliex and now Matt, had a few magic items to be divided up among the other characters. My thinking on how these items should be divided up is that Alden, Amber, Leon, Rune, Varian and Cissinei should each get a pick (I will make sure there are six items for one item apiece). Because Vlin is so new to the group, I don't feel that it would make sense for him to get a pick. But because I don't want Vlin (Drumjab) to feel left out, I will also be giving him a few magic items that will be appropriate for his level (as I did for the other later players).

If this sounds satisfactory to everyone, I will have a list of magic items in the next few days.

Drumjab
02-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Whatever works for the DM, works for me. :D

A FYI, I was mistaken about my hit dice, so I have to re-roll. Just letting the other players know why I'm rolling.

Hit points 2.0

One last thing, everyone has been very helpful while I was introducing Vlin, so I wanted to give my thanks. Makes it so much easier when people are willing to interact with others.

traesin
02-19-2010, 12:49 AM
sounds good.

Marley117
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
woo magic stuffs!

No problem. I am not trying to be all 'I don't trust you.." Or well I am...but not to the point where it would mess up the game and ruin the flow. :]

I am glad you're here though.

sahelfootball82
02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm glad that your character is playing rather more suspicious and aloof. If we all were in this Mist and all were trusting it just wouldn't make sense. :)

traesin
02-19-2010, 05:07 PM
:suspicious: I got my eye on you.....

Drumjab
02-20-2010, 03:11 PM
woo magic stuffs!

No problem. I am not trying to be all 'I don't trust you.." Or well I am...but not to the point where it would mess up the game and ruin the flow. :]

I am glad you're here though.

Completely understandable. I'm enjoying it. Its Ravenloft, so paranoia, fear and dismay should be abundant.

:suspicious: I got my eye on you.....

Eek! :scared:

Arkhemedes
03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Umm...what's going on here guys? It's been almost a week since Sahel has posted and more than a week since Marley has posted. Are you guys bailing out on me or just real busy? I thought for sure you guys would have had something to say after my last two posts. I know I get pretty busy on weekends and find it difficult to post then because Sunday nights are my game night for my f2f group. So I thought I would give you guys the weekend to respond. But so far, we haven't gotten anything from the two of you. Did I do something wrong? take it a direction you didn't care for? Let me hear from you.

sahelfootball82
03-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Sorry about that, I was supposed to leave the country two days ago so I was crazy busy with that. I had a post planned but I guess I never got around to actually posting it so I'll have to do that tonight.

Marley117
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
I have honestly been really busy....and...I have nothing to say. I am just going with the flow. I am so lost, to be honest, that when these plot talking moments pop up I try and keep out of it, cus I don't know what to input. Plus, my character isn't really a lets talk type of guy anyway (thankfully)

I have read all of the background information, etc etc. Just...I don't know. I am the rawr lets do this combat thing person. I LOVE roleplay, just not really....familiar..enough I guess, or comfortable enough, to really add my input.

Arkhemedes
03-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Not a problem guys. I thought you two might be busy (or at least hoped that was all). My main concern was Sahel as the discussion had more to do with his character. But he reacted in the way I was expecting - so thanks Sahel.

As for not really knowing what's going on now, I can't say I blame you. With all of the player turnover lately, a lot of the more important plot lines got put on hold and things have progressed at a much slower pace than I would have liked them to. But not to worry. I intend to interject a lot of "recapping" in the up and coming posts to try and remind everyone what's going on at this point. But if you're not sure about anything or need a reminder of what's happened thus far, don't hesitate to ask.

Also, it has been my intention to have another possible combat encounter by now - but again, things got delayed (fighting an attorney gone bad does not count). But it will be soon I hope.

Marley117
03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Wasn't there also a list of loot coming :P

Arkhemedes
03-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Yes, and I'll be getting to that very soon. Just waiting for the right time to mention it in game.

traesin
03-04-2010, 02:42 AM
stuff? we're getting stuff? SWEET!

Arkhemedes
03-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Varian has detected magic on six items. This time I will not make them as easy to identify. Here is what Varian is able to determine and on which body they were recovered:

Zeliex
set of bronze armbands - Bracers of Armor +2 - Cissinei
brown drawstring bag - Bag of Holding Type II - weighs 25 lbs. and holds 500 lbs. or 70 cubic feet - Amber
red ornamental stone inscribed with a rune and set on a silver chain - Periapt of Proof vs. Poison +3 - it will give its wearer a +3 on all saves vs. poison (it does not make the wearer completely immune to poison). - Varian

Matt
leather belt with an ornate silver belt buckle - Belt of Mighty Constitution +2 - Alden
pewter figurine of a raven - Figurine of Wondrous Power: Silver Raven - Leon
ring made of bone with symbols engraved in it - Bone Ring - a charged item that will make its wearer immune to negative energy attacks; for every negative level that would have been added, one charge is used; it currently has 32 charges left. - Rune

All items are of a moderate aura.

I will add more details as these items are further identified.

Marley117
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
So what do we do now? Roll for the choosing cycle?

-sound of dice rolling-

traesin
03-05-2010, 06:49 PM
sounds good to me.
traesin rolls some dice

Arkhemedes
03-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm going to let the PCs pick first (keep in mind that Vlin does not get a pick just yet - he has already received a few magic items). And you can go ahead and pick items now if you would like - we'll go with the rolls you've already made - which means we just need Sahel to roll. However, I was going to give you guys the opportunity to better identify the items before picking. Varian has done all that he can because he has no skill points in Spellcraft. Rune on the other hand, does have some points in Spellcraft and can also cast a Detect Magic spell, which means he can do a better job of identifying the items. But I will leave this decision up to you guys: pick items as is, or see if Rune will better identify them before hand.

If Rune will try to better identify them, I need 6 Spellcraft checks from him (one for each magic item) and a d20 roll to determine his order in the treasure picks. Also, if Rune does not do so well in identifying the magic items, I will provide the group an opportunity to have an outside source identify the items (at a price, of course). Again, I leave this up to the players to decide on when you would like to divide up the items, as each character will only get to pick one.

sahelfootball82
03-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Rune is going to do what he can to check the items. Now for all the rolling.

Spellcraft Roll: Bronze Armband
Spellcraft Roll: Brown Bag
Spellcraft Roll: Red Stone on chain
Spellcraft Roll: Leather Belt
Spellcraft Roll: Raven Figurine
Spellcraft Roll: Bone Ring

Picking Order

Arkhemedes
03-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Okay, Rune has successfully identified two of the items (see post #238 for updated details). And I just realized that Amber can also help to identify the items. So if we can get 4 Spellcraft checks from her for the other 4 items, we may have a better idea of what we have.

Either way, the picking order is as follows:
Leon
Rune
Amber
Varian
Alden
Cissinei

Again, I will leave it up to you guys to decide when you want to pick your items, which means that Leon can pick something knowing what we now know or he can wait until the items are better identified.

Marley117
03-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I am a gambler. I will take the armbands.

Arkhemedes
03-06-2010, 06:49 PM
You may want to reconsider your choice Marley. I will tell you this much - of all the magic items there, I think the armbands are the least useful to you and would definitely be of greater use to someone else.

traesin
03-06-2010, 09:23 PM

and the winner is.....

Marley117
03-07-2010, 04:33 PM
that actually makes me really sad.

Armbands for not a fighter. Bronze ones at that.

Thanks for the GM heads up.

I really want to know what that belt is.

I guess....I will take...hrm...I hate this part...

The Raven....It may come in handy.

traesin
03-07-2010, 06:10 PM
sooooo. what are the items......

Arkhemedes
03-08-2010, 08:54 AM
The items are in post #238 in this thread. But two of the items still have not been identified. It's Rune's turn to pick. But as I've said, he may want to wait until they are all identified.

Arkhemedes
03-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Something else I forgot to mention: inside the Bag of Holding are 7 moonstones worth 50 gold pieces each. Everyone add one of these moonstones to your character sheets.