PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread



Pages : [1] 2

wizarddog
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
So this is Ffenargh? Mile after mile of stinking bogs overlain by a constant mist that clings to your skin and chills you to the bone. The little you can see looks far from welcoming, and who knows what lurks just out of sight...

Why did you come here? Oh yes...the promise of inheritance. If your comrade had not been such a good friend you all would have let him go off on his own to make a claim to his Great Uncles Estate. But kinship amongst adventurers runs deep, and you all agreed, this detour of your travels could be worth it.

wizarddog
08-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Ravi brings her beast to ahalt. Her companion Silt pulls his cloak tighter. The path ahead into the marsh is lined with woodenplanks sunk deep into the mud. Either side is hazardous swampy marsh; ill to the one who becomes lost to the foul muck.

The next town, as Ravi recalls through the planked road and the isle ahead is some twenty miles through this trecherous path. Yet, they ahbve many miles yet to go to reach Eylea.

(DM You may make decisons, post roleplay. Depending on who has what beast or is walking determines the movement rate of the party. The slowest marks the party's rate. Ravi ahs the Uncle with the inheritance. Other could be from the region. Like races are related: Therefore anyone who is a drow is related to Ravi. Have Fun)

TheBlackDragon
08-01-2009, 05:07 PM
"There could be a lot of money involved here, and a considerable portion you. We need to keep moving. I'm not sleeping in this swamp, and I'm guessing there's plenty of other creatures who're not happy we're here."

Ravi pulls the reins on her beast, urging it forward at a reduced pace to accommodate the walking Human.

JCD
08-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Mr. Barrows does not like the outdoors. He's been complaining since the last stretch of civilization, passing the time by reciting stores, or playing a mental game of cards that he occasionally allows his companion in on. Places like this are not for him. When they do reach the planks and the marsh ahead he considers.

'"No need to stop," He affirms, " Terrible place, this. Path ahead looks shaky, though, you might have trouble with the thing." He nods. "I'll go first. Light as a feather I am, I'll get across and we'll see if you can't follow."

wizarddog
08-03-2009, 02:07 AM
The causeway is firm if not worn. The party travels 10 miles through a snake track of parallel rows of wooden piles driven into the murk with an ill fill of rubble and timbers. You reach the isle of Holm, where secure soft land is around you. Ahead you see the the shack like buildings of a hamlet through the mist. No fires burn as far you can see and it is eerily quite.

TheBlackDragon
08-03-2009, 08:23 AM
"This doesn't look promising. I don't see or hear anyone up ahead. Either there's nobody here, or nobody that wants to be seen. In both cases I don't think we should walk in the front gate blind."

Ravi stops her mount.

"You should stick to the shadows and see what's waiting for us up there... I'll be ready if you need me."

JCD
08-03-2009, 02:21 PM
"Very polite of you." Silt's response to the suggestion comes with a smile, the man's eyes wandering ahead. "It seems like the thing to do." He draws his cloak about himself, ducking down and beginning to head forward. He'll go slowly, quietly, taking pains to avoid lines of sight and anything that might expose himself early. "I'll be back soon."

Stealth Roll

(EDIT: It seems rolling doesn't work in this thread. Add my stealth roll as necessary. It's +12.)

wizarddog
08-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Silt moves swiftly and quietly towards the hamlet through the foliage and shadows.

Silts stealth check

He makes it through the center of the Hamlet and sees the ground is overgrown and shacks mere shells. This hamlet appears to have beem abandon for some years now.

(DM: JDC--you might need to join the group before you can post die results--try that.)

JCD
08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Silt flits between obstacles and homes, examining each. Once he's satisfied there's no movement he'll creep back toward the place he came from, one hand rising to signal his companion. "Looks empty. Haven't checked the houses, but I'd bet there's nothing. You better come along."

Vodka
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Oswyn rode along with the party, slouched in his saddle in the fashion that was typical for him. Head bowed as if he were in deep contemplation, one could not help but wonder if the mounted warrior were asleep. After all, he had barely uttered a word since the party's departure. And if he had even so much as glanced up, he had done it so stealthily that no one had managed to catch it.

It wasn't until the party drew to a stop and Silt flickered off into the moldering hamlet that Oswyn finally straightened. The metal plates of his armor hissed lightly as they scraped together with the fighter's shifting motions. Glancing around, Oswyn frowned suspiciously, as was customary for him.

"I don't like this," he half grumbled, ever the source of cheerful optimism. "Too quiet."

TheBlackDragon
08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
As Oswyn straightens up and speaks, a raven lands on his helmet and pecks it a few times before speaking itself.

"Look alive, we both know what 'too quiet' means by now. Draw your weapon and lets move in."

The raven flies back and lands on the neck of Ravi's riding lizard just as she urges it forward.

wizarddog
08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
The group moves forward through the abandon hamlet. The shack like houses show signs of dreary emptiness. Alas, nothing assaults the readied group as they make way through the deserted hamlet.

Oswyn, who visited his great uncle only once very young, scarcely remembers the fens; though recalls the dread he felt traveling with his family. That same dread, felt many ages ago, creeps up again into his heart.

As the group exits the Hamlet and continues on the road, they hear a sudden sound; shattering the silence.

A mournful wail drifts through the silent mist. Its source must be some distance away, and it is hard to tell whether it is a cry for help or merely the mournful hooting of an owl.

TheBlackDragon
08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Ravi - Perception

Ravi stops her mount and eyes the horizon, looking for any signs of where that shriek came from.

"Fly up and have a look around" Ravi speaks to her Raven in thought, instructing to look from the sky for signs.

The raven takes to the air and scans about for a source.

Raven - Perception

Vodka
08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Oswyn scowled and moved a hand up to wave away the raven that had decided to use his head as a perch, though once the bird had flown off he was more than agreeable to the notion of drawing his blade. This place was far from his liking, and whatever forces lay about, real or imagined, it was more than enough to put the half breed on edge.

The wail made him turn his head with a sharp jerk, grey eyes alert and scanning the swampy bog for the source of the noise. Instinctively his hand tightened on the worn grip of his battered and ugly blade, ready for use should the need arise.

Perception

JCD
08-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Silt winces, the man raising hands to cover his ears at the noise. "Dreadful," He mentions, lips tugging into one ugly line before he moves to draw his own weapon. The rapier flits about in the air, wigwagging back and forth as the man scans the area.

Perception Roll

wizarddog
08-06-2009, 12:06 AM
The Raven returns to Ravi. The foliage makes it too difficult for it to see, as it is so thick it's canopy blocks even the sun. Despite that, the bird believes the cry came from ahead the east through some overgrowth. Oswyn and Slit concur.

TheBlackDragon
08-06-2009, 05:34 PM
"I highly doubt it's a damsel in distress out here in this horrid bog. More likely a rouse to get us off the road. I suggest we keep our eyes open and more forward.

Nobody sticks their necks out for us"

Ravi scoffs at the unknown shriek in the distance.

"Master, anything crafty enough to try to lure us isn't a mindless beast of the swamp. It's a long road ahead, we could use some fresh supplies. Perhaps it might be worth it to find out what's there and take from it".

Ravi's Raven familiar speaks to her mind. Softly interjecting it's ideas to her own.

"On second thought, maybe we should check things out."

JCD
08-06-2009, 10:51 PM
"You think so?" Silt's eyebrows rise, forming incredulous points before he glances in the direction of the noise. "Seems like it's a bit happy-go-lucky to go wandering off the beaten path." His eyes dart back and forth. "Don't trust this place as it is. One wrong step and you'll go sinking down, or get lost, or somesuch."

He sighs. "But. I suppose if you two are set on it, I can take a look."

Vodka
08-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Quietly uttering an undecipherable stream of curses under his breath, Oswyn swung the head of his horse around to face the source of the noise. "I like the notion of staying on the road," he added, loud enough that the others could hear. Not that it helped- Oswyn's pessimistic outlook on things rarely were worth bothering or worrying over. Either option would have set him grumbling the rest of the way.

Oswyn urged his horse into the sludgy mire, placing himself in the front of the party. "Keep an eye out," he warned uselessly. Hopefully the terrain would be the greatest obstacle they would have to face.

wizarddog
08-07-2009, 01:56 AM
The group moves through the brush and mud towards the cry. It is rough going with mounts and the brush scraps across your skin, tears cloaks, and moistens your brows.

The sound cries again and you adjust direction to it's source. You emerge into a small clearing in the thicket where the mist is tainted with the sickly-sweet smell of decay. A large, black owl, perched in a dead tree on the far side of the clearing, regards you for a moment with large, thoughtful eyes before flying off into the darkness with a final cry that sounds like "beware".

At the foot of the tree, dark opening leads into a thick mass of briars.

TheBlackDragon
08-07-2009, 09:52 AM
"Well, not quite what I was hoping to find... less likely there's free loot through here.

What do the rest of you think?"

Vodka
08-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Oswyn shot a sideways glance at Ravi, less than pleased with the situation. "I say we turn back to the road." he arched an eyebrow. "You said you didn't want to sleep in the swamp, after all. Chasing after birds and sticking our heads in dead trees won't make that goal an easy achievement."

JCD
08-07-2009, 11:01 PM
"Well, I've never heard a bird talk to me before. I'd say it must be fairly important if one of them goes out of the way to give me advice." Silt's hand reaching to adjust his hat, tipping once in the direction the owl flew off to. "I'd say we get back to the path. I'd like to get out of here."

TheBlackDragon
08-08-2009, 07:26 AM
The Raven flies just above the heads of the two others.

"I've never seen humans with such short memory. A bird was just talking to you to 5 minutes prior to that owl. If you ask me I think it's more likely we'll find treasure down here than hoping to simply pick up a vast fortune from a dead uncle Ravi's never met with no strings attached."

"Silence! You're not in charge here." Ravi telepathically scolds the bird.

"You didn't even know you had an uncle, do you really believe there's anything for you to inherit?

"I'd rather find out as soon as I can and move on with it. If you're so interested, fly down there yourself coward!"

"Some adventurer you are! I'd see more danger paired with a weak knee'd squire boy!"

To the others Ravi and the bird are just staring at one another, a frown getting deeper across her face.

"Remember this place then foolish bird, when I'm rich I'll hire a dozen squire boys and send them along with you when you go!" She yells this sentence aloud.

"Back to the road!!" Ravi hollers for no obvious reason.

wizarddog
08-08-2009, 10:42 AM
The group, not wishing to investigate further, return to the marsh track and continue the long trek.

Ahead, upon the road, a weathered sign post is found. The direction you came from has been worn down but four other hamlets are listed. Cartleagh is 15 miles ahead while Near Delve is 20 miles. Far Delve is 23 miles, while Smidgin is also listed with no mileage. They all go in the same direction, less you leave the marsh track completely.

You are aware that Cartleagh is the town where you need to take a ferry to the island of Eylea; your destination.

The night falls fast and heavy in Ffenargh and you must decide to press on into the night to the hamlet or stop and setup camp. The darkness and thick mist reduce visibility considerably.

TheBlackDragon
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
"15 miles... that's another 5 hours at this pace. Oswyn, can your horse take Silt here and still keep a good speed? If so we can make it there in just under 4."

JCD
08-08-2009, 11:08 PM
"The question is," Silt chimes, "What's Near Delve nearest too, and is it far for us, or far for whoever made it?" The question seems to amuse him for a moment, the man mumbling to himself before he's set on track again. "I say we walk," He decides, "Better than trying to camp out here again." He does, of course, give an odd look to Ravi now and then. He doesn't say anything about the bird, though.

Vodka
08-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Oswyn frowned at the female as she waged a silent argument with her bird, but kept his mouth shut. Funny how used one got to these sorts of things. With her order to head back to the road, he nodded, swinging his mount's head to head back the direction from whence they came. He was admittedly slightly relieved to find the road as easily as they did. The eventual happening across the signpost and darkening gloom made for another stop.

"Far as I'm concerned, Near Delve isn't worth worrying about," he said as he leaned down to offer a hand to pull the rogue onto the back of his horse. "Might as well try and get as close to Cartleagh as we can before the mist makes this worse going than usual. It's miserable enough in the day; I'm not too eager to see how much fouler it gets in the night."

wizarddog
08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
(DM EDIT to Include new players!)

The Path ahead is obscured by the thick mist. Your travel time is greatly slowed, trying to keep on the path. After seven miles of traveling east the path sharply turns south.

After following it (and swearing that is appears to be travel south west!) you travel another seven miles. Drenched from the mist and air you reach an 4 way intersection in the track. A signpost, rotted and depressing reads that directly south lies Cartleagh. To the east it says Near Delve and Far Delve. There is something that indicates what is west, but it is worn off. North (the way you came) simply states Mainland.

The mounts you ride begin stirring uncomfortably. A sweat sickly smell, similar to what you experienced outside the abbadon hamlet begins to fill your nostrils.

Silt notices that an unnatural rolling mist starts to approach the party from the North some 15 feet away. The mist is thicker here so he can actually see it.

(DM Silt and Rulktar may react before anyone else during the surprise round with a standard, move or minor action. They may spend a minor action to actively warn the others, thus eliminating the combat advantage the creature would get or they can try to strike it.)

Surprise round:
Silit
Rulktar
Creature

Initiative Rolls:
Creature 30
Ravi 27
Silt 25
Rulktar 18
SilverFox 16
Osywn 13
Zodd 12

spider21b
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
(okies when do we get started??)
--- Merged from Double Post ---
(silver fox uses wild shape into a panther and waits for enemy to attack)

JCD
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
"Looks like a road." Silt has to examine the signs for several minutes, the small man scratching at his head before his body makes an avian sort of thing. His eyes narrow, nose scrunching up as reaches to draw slender blade from his side. "There's something out there," He hisses, point of his weapon angling toward the mist. "There."

(Drawing weapon and alerting others. That's all.)

Gmoz
08-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Rulktar sneers in the direction Silt indicated. He was quite fed up with this glorified mud hole. He had bit his tongue so far, dredging along at the back of the group, but he was near the end of his rope. Like a coiled snake, the vicious chain draped over his shoulders slowly unravels. The curved blades swing at either the side of his mount. What ever was coming through the mists, would surely regret its decision.

((drawing weapon and thats it))

spider21b
08-10-2009, 10:58 PM
silver fox yawns in his panther form as he switches to his normal size and gets his bows out and readies his site so he can summon his pather

wizarddog
08-10-2009, 10:58 PM
The vapors rush the party. Mist surrounds them and tendrils form to strike at the party. None of the players suffer from combat advantage thanks to the warning. One tendril attacks Ravil but he ducks just in time.

ATT vs Ravil's Reflex

Necrotic Damage to Ravil


(DM During this battle, players suffer 5 points of necrotic damage in the creatures aura at the beginning of your turn. You may exit the aura provide you can move three squares out. If you cannot shift or teleport, you will suffer a OA. The OA will be resolved on my post after all have done their turn. If creature is marked, it will not take any OA's less the marker provokes. This just simplifies things on the interrupts.)

The next PC may act or delay as they want.

TheBlackDragon
08-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Dodging aside of the lashing tendrils, Ravi narrowly avoids a direct hit. She guides her mount backward to avoid another strike while hurling a ball of acid into the mist.

Move Action = Shift 1sq away to avoid OoA

"Spread out! I wan't to electrocute as few of you as possible."

Acid Orb vs Ref
Acid Orb Damage

spider21b
08-11-2009, 01:24 PM
as the basic attack misses silverfox the gas seems have stunned silverfox a bit, silver fox summons his pather ( free action) and tries to find the beast (13) ( if he finds the attacking creature) use staking strike (15 ) and attacks with (15 damage)

JCD
08-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Silt's eyes rise when the mist comes billowing forward, the point of his weapon sketching back and forth through the air. "Watch out," He chimes, turning when the mist begins to form tentacles. He lunges toward one of them, his thin weapon spinning around in his grasp, dipping low before he brings it up toward the creature with one sharp thrust of the wrist and several tiny steps to thrust him forward. "Ha!"


Dexterity vs AC (Sly Flourish)

Damage

(Second one is correct. Was thinking of Combat Advantage in the first, disregard it.)

Gmoz
08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
"Damn this cursed swamp!" Rulktar's gravelly voice hisses between clenched teeth. He urges his beast towards the mist, his bladed chains whistling through the air in small arcs. With one fluid movement he brings both over and down in an attempt to savage the beast.
(minor action: designate as quarry. move action:get into reach range of the creature. standard action:twin strike)

At-Will Twin Strike 1 vs AC
Damage 1
Quarry Damage
At-Will Twin Strike 2 vs AC
Damage 2

spider21b
08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
silver fox summons his spirit panther in front of the creature and attacks the creature (Stalkerís Strike) and attacks the creature

(Wisdom vs. Fortitude)

(move horse father back from the creature)

1d20 1D8+9
------ -----
18 5+9=14

wizarddog
08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
(DM Oslwyn needed clarification on post time)
Oswyn may delay and change his initiative order.

Outside the mist is Zodd, who breaks out of his shock watching his companions fighting. (Zodd is on initiative 12)

The acid ball strikes the creature, leaving a large hole in the misty area. Rultar's strikes true twice as well as Silt's jab. Silverfox's attack misses harmlessly into the mist and backs out of the damaging aura.

The the hole left from the acid orb slowly starts to close and the mist begins to turn a slight red; seemingly feeding from the necrotic damage inflicted upon you. The mounts begin to stir even more, they too have been suffering the damage caused by this creature.

(DM mounting and dismounting is normally a standard action. You may make a DC 15 athletics or acrobatics to dismount as part of a move action.)

Four tendrils erupt from the mist and they attack each of you. (Creature is spending an action point) Two aim for Ravi. Silverfox and Oslwyn (and Zodd) are out but Silverfoxe's Spirit Panther is still in the mist but not targeted. Indicate in your post if you are hit or missed and take the appropriate damage and condition. Include your save in your post for your end of turn if you neede to make one.

Att #1 vs Ravi's reflex
Att #2 vs Ravi's reflex
Necrotic damage#1 to Ravi
Necrotic damage#2 to Ravi
Att #3 vs Silts reflex
Necrotic damage#3 to Silt
Att #4 vs Rulktar reflex
Necrotic damage#4 to Rulktar

Any who are hit are now weakened (save ends at the end of your turn) I will take that account from your damage.
The creature also to appears to get stronger after sucking the life energy from it's target, getting redder.

Those still in the mist (have not move 3 out of the aura will suffer 5 necrotic damage at the beginning of their turn)

Initiative Rolls:
Osywn 31
Creature 30
Ravi 27
Silt 25
Rulktar 18
SilverFox 16
Zodd 12


(Any questions should be posted in the ask DM rather than PM.)

TheBlackDragon
08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Ravi knocks one tendril aside with he staff, the other she ducks down to avoid. It bounces harmlessly off the side of her mount.

<Mount has Damage resistance to all sources equal to my level while ridden from Impenetrable Barding, the aura damage is resisted fully by it>

Keeping her calm she prepares a spell, her eyes begin to emit a electric blue glow.

Pointing her staff into the mist, an arc of lightning strikes into it releasing a loud crack of thunder.

E3 Dancing Lightning vs. Reflex
Lightning damage

Any adjacent creatures take 6 Thunder damage.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Having moved outside adjacency to the mist, Ravi commands her mount backward, moving 9 paces opposite the mist.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
<The forum merged my second post and seems to have doubled my rolls. If it happens again it's the first set that was the original.>

Vodka
08-12-2009, 10:44 PM
As Oswyn's horse snorted nervously and backed itself out from the coiling mists, the half-breed growled and cursed the creature's action. Since trying to coax the creature seemed to do him no good, the warrior found himself with no choice but to slide out of the saddle.

"Bloody no-good git," he grumbled, more to himself than anything.

By the time he had slid from his horse, combat was already well underway. His sword still drawn from earlier, Oswyn charged into the fray, a veritable tide of iron.

At-Will Tide of Iron vs AC
Tide of Iron + Powerful Charge damage

JCD
08-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Silt's face contorts into an ugly grimace when the energy burns through him, the man bringing his weapon up again. He wags to the side this time, taking sidestep from the tendril and making feint toward his left. The weapon, though, soon goes the other way. Another arc of steel cuts at the thing, aiming to deal another good blow.

(Took full damage from attack)

Sly Flourish vs AC
Damage

Necron99
08-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Zodd seeing his companions engaged in battle, dismounts hastily off his horse.

"Ah. Interesting," he muttered to himself as he drew his staff and readied for battle with his party.

Standard and Minor action.

Gmoz
08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
A feral howl wretches itself from Rulktar's throat as he feels the life drain out of him. He snarls at the creature, a rage burning in his eyes. "You want a piece of Rulktar!!!! I'll give you a piece of Rulktar!!" Twin blades sweep through the air as Rulktar brings his hands together like the jaws of a maddened beast.
(standard action Two Fanged Strike. Minor action Nature check in hopes of identifying the creature)

Two Fanged Strike Encounter 1
Damage 1
Quarry
Two Fanged Strike Encounter 2
Damage 2
Furious Assault

Nature Check
(if either attack hits add furious assault damage once. if both attacks hit +3 more damage)

wizarddog
08-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Osywn charges at the mist like creature colliding with it. He feels his sword gouge into it. Two tendrils drop off from his cut and bits of the mist cling to his sword and drip off.

The creatures tendrils move sporadically and slash at the party.

Att vs Osywn's Reflex
Necrotic damage to Osywn
Att vs Silt's Reflex
Necrotic damage to Silt

The hole that was once from the acid orb closes up and the creature continues to turn a red. Those struck by the creature become weakened (save ends) while it grows in strength.

Ravi feels the life drain from him (5 necrotic damage) Lighting erupts around the creature, giving the brief look of a thundercloud. Many holes appears where the lighting struck into the mist. The tendrils shake.

Silt thrust his blade but it simply passes through the mist. He feels the life begin to drain from him. (Take 5 necrotic Damage).

Rulktar, weakened by the previous hit, swings his blades at the creature. The first strike is true and a large gouge erupts on the creature, though not as strong as he hoped. His second strike misses. He tries to shake off the weakness inflicting him.

Rulktar's save

He knows not the nature of this creature in the wild or the elements.

Silver Fox orders his panther to attack as it suffers the necrotic damage of 5. Silverfox is outside the aura.
Stalkers Strike
Panther damage

Zodd readies himself to attack with a spell. Zodd is outside the aura.

TheBlackDragon
08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
"The mist is feeding on your flesh! strike it down faster or it will overcome us."

Ravi's eyes continue to glow as she throws a small orb just behind the mist creature. The orb explodes as it hits the ground behind it with a crack of thunder.

E7 Thunder Bomb vs. Fortitude
Thunder damage
Target is slowed if hit

Ravi moved 9sq. back last turn and should be out of the aura for this turn.

Her Raven sits idly on her mount's head watching the battle.

Vodka
08-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Oswyn grit his teeth against the draining sensation he felt from the bizarre mist-like creature, though he refused to pull back to the relative safety outside of its aura.

"Tell me something I don't know!" he snapped at Ravi, bringing his sword around for another heavy strike.

Encounter- Dance of Steel vs AC
Dance of Steel damage
Weapon: heavy blade - Target is immobilized until the end of the next turn.

Gmoz
08-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Rulktar spits into the mist, as his chain slides through his hand favoring one side. He slowly winds up, the cold steal arcing over his head in a deadly whirlwind. "Back to what ever hell pit spawned you!" With a deft movement he brings the blade down, not once, not twice, but three times at the beast before the shrill whistle of spinning metal ceased.
Rain of Blows Enc. 1
Damage 1
Rain of Blows Enc. 2
Damage 2
Rain of Blows Enc. 3
Damage 3

Vodka
08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
((rolling Gmoz's crit damage to avoid post merging and rolls screwing up))

Critical hit damage

Necron99
08-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Zodd closes his eyes and pictures a terrifying dark assassin attacking the beast.

Opening his eyes, Zodd yells, "You foul monster!" as an illusion of an attacker appears before the monster.

D5 Phantasmal Assailant vs Will
Damage
Target takes ongoing 5 psychic damage and grants combat advantage to all to all allies (save ends both).

After casting, Zodd performs an Arcana check to try and identify the creature and readies for his next move.
Arcana check

wizarddog
08-14-2009, 02:50 AM
31. Oswyln's sword slices harmless through the misty creature. He feels the lifeforce from him drain once more 5 points Necrotic damage. He tries to shake off the weakening of the last hit.

Oswyln's save vs the weakening effect

(DM don't forget to make your save ends)

30. The creature's remaining tendrils flay outward, they seem sporadic and hit at random targets. Rulktar, Silt, and Oswyln are currently in the aura suffering necrotic damage. Old wounds heal on the creature.

Att vs Rulktar's Reflex
Necrotic damage to Rulktar
Att vs Silt's Reflex
Necrotic damage to Silt

27. Ravi's thunderbomb ex lodes shooting misty everywhere from the creature.

25. Silt strikes again with his blade, giving a loud cry as it twists through the mist. He yelps as the life in him drains away again.
Sly Flourish vs AC
Silt's damage

18. Rulktar springs his blades at the creature, the second strike severs a small part of a tendril,; it half holding on by mere threads of the strange creatures substance. Still, he feels the life of him start to drain and feeding the misty creature.

16. Silver's Foxes Spirit panther attacks.

Stalker Strike
Panther damage

12. Zodd releases his spell. A blast of light and the misty creature is suddenly bombarded by phantom attacks. It shudders and winces in what can be only be it's reaction to pain. Despite believing that the creature feeds on the life force of those in the aura, he knows nothing of this creature in arcane lore.

(Osywln has Combat advantage on it next round-I will roll it's save now so that if you have powers that effect with CA you will know if you will have them on your turn. If you have abilities that add damage to CA-roll them-I will take into account the +2 to hit on your attacks-roll normal mods.)

NEXT RD 4 INT. 30.
Mists saves vs Onging damage and CA

TheBlackDragon
08-14-2009, 07:52 AM
"Your friends are being eaten alive over there! How long does it take to kill air?!" Her Raven mocks her in her mind.

"Silence bird! I can't concentrate with you pestering me."

Calling the air to aid them, Ravi forms a small whirlwind behind the mist to blast it from behind.

E1 Whirlwind vs. Fortitude
Damage
Target is knocked prone if possible

Necron99
08-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Zodd briefly watches the ongoing onslaught of phantom attacks, and suddenly icy frost begins forming on his hands.

"Away with you!" screamed Zodd as a bright blue-white ray howls towards the creature.

E3 Icy Rays vs Reflex
Damage
Target is immobilized until the end of my next turn (if it hits) and continues to take 5 psychic damage from previous attack (unless it saved)

Zodd performs knowledge Religion and knowledge Dungeoneering checks in hopes of identifying the creature.
Religion check
Dungeoneering check

JCD
08-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Silt is looking worse for the wear from his fight with the misty thing. The man takes a breath, his weapon extended outward, poised to strike should it come closer. His feet send him backward, retreating temporarily from the assault to catch his breath before he begins again.

(Second Wind: +14 HP, Withdrawing from area of effect.)

wizarddog
08-15-2009, 01:40 PM
(DM because it's the Weekend, and some may not have access to Computer at the time, the DM will post the his results on Tuesday Midnight rather than the normal. This gives everyone a chance to post on Monday during the day)

Gmoz
08-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Rulktar grits his teeth as he fights the vile mist that eats away at him. He repositions his grip on his chain before letting loose two more strikes. Despite his steel expression, he can't help but wonder how much more he can take.

A-Twin Strike1 vs AC
Damage
Quarry
A-Twin Strike2 vs AC
Damage

wizarddog
08-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Ravi's blast of wind does little to effect the mist.

To the party surprise it begins to move off and head back down the path from which it came.

Rulktar's blades miss as it moves out, but his second strikes true, severing the last tendril.

Silt manages to pull back and recover briefly from the short breath of death.

Zodd fires his icy rays but the mist has dispersed and he strikes a gnarl tree instead. He rules out the creature as some dungeon dezion and then a in a sudden insight of brilliance he remembers. During his studies years ago he came across an old religious text from the Church of Pelor. The book was dry in reading but one thing that interest him was a reference to a misty creature that drained life from it's victims. He vividly remembers the illustration of a mist draining a poor soul and turning into a bright red. The creature was called a Crimson Death. Seeing that it has turned red, it must have absorbed enough life essence from the group to satisfy it, or they providing too much of a challenge, decided to move off.

The group, now free of the creatures death aura, must decide: do they pursue the creature or shoudl they continue forward?

wizarddog
08-19-2009, 05:25 AM
The strange crimson cloud moves further into the thicket of ther swamp and into the darkening sky.

Exhausted but alive, the group rests from their ordeal. Night falls soon and they are a mere 8 miles from the village. Perhapse if they hurry, they can make it before night comes fully.

TheBlackDragon
08-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Still embarrassed from her blundered spell Ravi decides to move the group forward before anyone comments.

"We're nearly there, I'd hate for one of these things to find us when we're asleep. I say we move on as fast as we can."

Necron99
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
"As much as I desire to destroy the evil beast, it would be unwise to venture deeper into the swamp. We should get to the village as soon as we can."

Zodd jumps on his horse waiting for the rest of the group.

JCD
08-19-2009, 08:32 PM
"Yes, yes, yes," Silt agrees, the man watching the creature exit with a wary glance. He seems much worse for the ware, all pale and ghastly, his hands wrapping around himself. "A village, definitely. There's no way conceivable I'll be staying here."

Vodka
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
That seemed... entirely too easy. Chest heaving from the exertion against the bizarre creature, Oswyn was entirely agreeable with the notion. He merely grunted his approval, wavering in place for a moment to let his strength return to him before retrieving his horse, who thankfully had not fled the scene.

Almost unsteadily, Oswyn heaved himself up onto the back of the horse. He then leaned down to offer Silt a hand. "Come on. Faster we're out of here, the better."

wizarddog
08-20-2009, 03:12 AM
With haste, the group sets off down the path through the misty darkness. They make good time, never looking back from the path they just came.

An hour later they welcome the burning torches from a small village ahead. As you enter the inhabitants stare at you with gaunt faces. Most appear wizened and gray haired.

A white haired woman approaches, two men flanked by her armed with rusty halberd, herself with a scabbard sword by her belt. She speaks in weave of deep speech and common.

"M' lords, what brings you here to our village?"

TheBlackDragon
08-20-2009, 07:50 AM
"Good evening ma'am. Firstly we seek a comfortable place to rest for the night. The swamps haven't been too forgiving for us. We'd require a half dozen rooms at least."

She bows slightly after speaking, a large smile crosses her face.

Her words and mannerisms are convincing, the others from the group recognize the slight change in tone as her veteran social skills go to work.

JCD
08-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Silt comes to a halt when the townspeople gather to meet them, the man flashing one neat smile as he draws up beside Ravi. "It would be appreciated," He adds, though nothing more for the moment.

Necron99
08-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Zodd wants to be certain of the white-haired woman's mood.
Insight check

Zodd bows his head respectfully to the trio approaching them

wizarddog
08-21-2009, 02:16 AM
To Zodd, the woman appears to be overwhelmed by Ravi's request but not hostile or moody. She and her guards respond in a bow, taken aback by his gesture and feeling obligated to show humility to strange lords.

She turns to her men and speaks in undercommon. (Those who understand it will get translation in next post). They quickly move off into the darkness.

"M'Lords, we will do what you have requested. The homes of this village are open to you. I take it you wish to take the ferry to Eylea in the morn?"

TheBlackDragon
08-21-2009, 07:25 AM
"Excellent, your kindness is much appreciated. It is Eylea we seek indeed."

"We'll need a place for our steeds as well, if you've such a place available."

Ravi eyes the area behind the women as she offers 5 gold pieces, darksight leaving nothing hidden by the night.

Perception

"My travelers and I seek only a place for the night and a meal, nothing more. If we're honored with the same respects we'll be nothing but tracks in the dirt for your people here come morning."

Diplomacy

Ravi continues to speak in a soothing tone, her eyes now locked on the villager below her.

JCD
08-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Silt trots along afterward, the man keeping his cloak pulled tight around his body. He seems still sore from his wounds, his movements a touch awkward as he follows.

wizarddog
08-22-2009, 02:43 AM
(DM Translation of the Undercommon: Oris, arrange to have the Vern and Kalis families moved from their homes to make way for the Lords. I will give up my own and stay at Leanhards.Tehir see to it the kitchens are fired and a meal is brought to them.)

With hesitation, the woman accepts the gold. She gestures through the village towards a group of shack like houses.

"I am Baliliff Juthe. Your beast of burden will be attended to as you request, M'Lord."

Through the darkness, Ravi notes the sparse houses in the center of the village. They look decrepit but livable. The whole of the village looks quite impoverish, despite being a ferry point to the city. The inhabitants all look old and emaciated, even those that look like children have an mature look on their faces.

With beast cared, you settle on a communal table and benches lite by torch lite. Wine and rooted vegetables are brought to the table by pale face maids and the smell of a stew begins to fill the air, the only thing remotely homey. The exile of families from their homes carrying bundles head into the darkness towards a tent being drawn in the distance.

(DM Next DM posting on Tuesday 12:00a)

JCD
08-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Once the group had been led to their appointed place Silt settles in, the small man picking at the food that's been brought for them. "What a quaint place." He remains at the table for only a few minutes, rising afterward with a tip of his wide hat. "I'll be back soon." With that he's off, wandering away to engage the workers in a fast chatter, moving on to what other denizens he can find afterward.

(Going to gather information about the city of Eylea, as well as the relation of this place to it. Also why everyone seems so poor.)

Streetwise Roll

wizarddog
08-25-2009, 02:18 AM
Silt begins his investigation of the village and it's people. Most shun his approach, once speaking in a mixture of common and deep speech and then shutting themselves up as he engages in conversation. Their eyes downcast as they answer simple questions, nothing revealing. They show respect to him nevertheless despite being an outsider.

He learns the supreme leaders are the Lord's Spirituals, leader of the church who hold the power over the city and the surrounding villages. The High Bailiff of the city, Clavados is the only high ranking secular officer in the city. The villagers seem to follow several taboos and religious rules that seem odd out of context.

Of overheard conversations he finds their arrival to be the talk of the village. Most trying to determined if they are Lords of Eylea or abroad returning to the city. Most recognize Ravi as being of similar skin tone to the late Lord Severus. Perhaps the heir?

The village seems to be lacking in resources. That may be due to the swamp. The gathering of reeds for weaving seems to be the most common resource. Livestock seems absent though Silt noticed two men with rags wrapped around their noses and mouths leading a very ugly and strange looking cow that gave off a foul stench. He also notices most of people look older than they really are, life in the fens seems to drain the life out of them.

Circling back to the table he returns to see his other companions finish off their stew and contemplating resting for the night.

TheBlackDragon
08-25-2009, 11:33 AM
After finishing her meal Ravi pardons herself and goes outside to find the family they've displaced by staying here.

"Excuse me, I've come to personally thank you for letting us make use of your home while we travel. It hasn't gone unnoticed."

Ravi places a 10g sum for them and leaves them be for the evening.

Necron99
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Zodd turns to Silt, "Did you find out anything of note? Any pressing matters that need our attention?"

Vodka
08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Oswyn kept himself mainly out of the way of the niceties and chatter as arrangements for sleeping and eating were made. He grudgingly dismounted and gave over his horse to the villagers who offered to take the mount away for tending to. He was his typical dour self during the serving of the meal, only picking at his food and keeping quiet for the most part. It wasn't until Silt returned that the fighter seemed to once again take interest in his surroundings, quirking an eyebrow at the human as a silent question on whether anything of interest had been found or not.

wizarddog
08-26-2009, 03:23 AM
The family accepts Ravi's gold. From the looks of them, they could us it. They bow humbly and silently to the gesture.

Silt is silent on his return and turns in after grabbing a bowl with him of the cold stew. Torches are put out and the coziness of the small homes looks inviting. From the looks of the situation, two can sleep in each home, though it appears Ravi has been given a house alone. Whether it is due to gender or status is unknown.

The Homes, despite belonging to poor residents, are quite comfortable. They maintain the personalities of their residence with creature comforts and symbols of devotion to their gods. Maybe it's the separation of swamp from wooden walls, who knows, but you sleep soundly.

Morning breaks without incident and you find the table and benches set up again. An abundance of bread and more root vegetables are on the table. Fresh eggs seem to be amongst the fare.

You see your beasts of burden, cleaned, brushed, and tackled repaired awaiting for you. The mist still moves slowly through the village though you see the river just beyond through the mire.

TheBlackDragon
08-26-2009, 07:27 AM
"Many thanks for all the hospitalities you've provided us, may whomever you worship smile on you this day."

Ravi speaks in a loud, steady voice to address all those in earshot of them.

Mounting her Lizard she waits for the group to be prepared before setting out. Her Raven lands just on the lizard's neck.

"Verrrrry profitable night it's been, we're down 15g if I'm not mistaken? I could have be eaten by a dragon and still made more money than you!"

Ravi keeps a straight face as she listens to her familiar's telepathic scorn.

"No thanks to you bird!, all you managed to do was have me follow an owl into the woods and nearly go down into a beast's burrow for the evening. Maybe it was a hatchling's den, I could have offered you as a barter for our escape just to test your theory."

JCD
08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
"They don't say much," Silt reveals in the morning, once he's concluded the last of his investigation. "They don't have much here, we seem to be the most interesting things." He passes on the rest in tidbits, wolfing down as much food as he can hold. "Nothing to worry about, yet. I'd say we should get moving, hopefully our next stop'll be more glamorous than this."

Necron99
08-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Zodd finishes his meal and goes to find the woman who is the head of the village.

"A good deed does not go without thanks." Zodd gives her 15g. "Please use this for any expenses of the village. May the glory of Pelor bless the village and its affairs."

Gmoz
08-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Allana runs a hand through her raven hair as she listens to Silt's report. Though she found the humbleness of the village quaint, she indeed shared his hope of a more well furbished environment.

wizarddog
08-27-2009, 02:50 AM
(DM Just for the record Gmoz is now playing a new PC Cleric)

With breakfast behind them, you journey down the path towards the ferry to take you down the River Clag to the City of Eylea. The Vessel is a flat bottom barge well sized for up towards twelve men and their horse. Twelve river attendants lead your mounts on the barge and as soon as all are set, set off, with the people of Cartleagh watching from the shore as you depart, knowing you had some impact on their dreary lives.

The boat journey to Eylea takes most of the day and takes you through a seemingly trackless wilderness of mist shrouded fen. Although sullen and uncommunicative, the rafters pole vigorously down the river.

Ahead, the mire gives way to a low, wooded island topped by a cluster of grey green roofs and towers. The mist is thinner here, and the sight of dry land lifts your spirits a little.

One of the rafters raises his head a fraction and clears his throat. "Eyeleer, shurr" he mutters, then continues poling.

wizarddog
08-28-2009, 02:02 AM
The barge pulls along side the wharf of the city by afternoon.

Standing at the wharf edge is a man in full armor on a warhorse. A second man on foot raise a trumpet and it sounds through the air.


The man then shouts, "The Lord High Bailiff Clavados wishes to welcome the Lords of the North to Eylea.!"

"Welcome", begins Clavados, "I trust your journey was well in the fens. I wish to speak to the heir to Lord Serevus regarding business of the late Lord and his inheritance."

Your quite sure that the statement was weaved from a command into a request by mid sentence.

TheBlackDragon
08-28-2009, 07:10 AM
"Then you're looking for me, Lord Clavados." Ravi greets him with a near impossible size smile on her face.

She dismounts and bows low before the armored horse.

"Thank you for having us Lord, we're looking forward to a pleasant stay in your lands. Lead on, and we'll put the business of the late Lord Severus behind us and get on with a celebration of his life."

JCD
08-29-2009, 10:24 AM
"Greetings." Silt offers that when they approach, one hand reaching to remove his hat, setting it down again afterward. He points toward Ravi at the mention, offering bright smile before his eyes dart across the area.

Necron99
08-29-2009, 09:52 PM
"Well met, sir." Zodd taking a bow before Clavados.

wizarddog
09-01-2009, 12:45 AM
"Well met," as Clavados addresses the Party. "As I mentioned, there is a matter of great importance which I must discusss with you. The servants will show you to the Hospitum and see that your steads are properly accommodated in the high stables. Once you settle in, I invite you to my private apartment for a meal to update...recent events."

Throughout your entrance into the city Clavados has no hesitation to order peasants to carry your baggage.

Although not as unpleasant as the rest of Ffenargh, Eylea is a drab and depressing place. The crumbling stonework is covered in ancient lichens, and its once fine, stained glass windows are now cracked and dirty. The city is more of a large winding courtyard full of ancient buildings all bearing the symbols of various gods.

Clavados stops at the front of the Hospitum, a modest building with a crumbling roof.

"I shall see you in the evening, my servants will call upon you."

Necron99
09-01-2009, 09:16 PM
"We thank you for your hospitality, sir. We will take a brief rest and dine with you this evening."

JCD
09-02-2009, 12:02 AM
"It's not a very cheery place, is it?" Silt's eyes rove over the buildings, his lips setting into one tiny line. "Well, I suppose it'll have to do. I was hoping for something a little more lively."

TheBlackDragon
09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
"Not very cheery indeed."

Ravi looks briefly over the housing with a distasteful frown.

Reducing her voice to a whisper she continues.

"I wouldn't have a smile on my face either if I lived here... but that's immaterial, I don't plan on staying much longer if I can help it."

wizarddog
09-03-2009, 08:45 AM
(DM My schedule is little crazy right now so my consistent midnight PST is off. I will try to find a constant time frame--knowing I will give you at least 24hours between postings.)

The servants come never too soon. Escorted across the courtyard of the city by lanterns you reach Clavados' modest apartment. Despite the gloomy architecture you find his austere decorations inside somewhat homey.

Seated at his table you feast upon a fare of roast bird and vegatables. Once you have your fill, he begins to address Ravi as servants serve after-dinner brandy.

"Lord Servus was friend of my family. Of high wit and sound advice he has been an asset to Eylea for over a century. His passing was not unexpected; your great uncle had had his affairs put in order some twenty years prior. It has taken a while for an heir to be found."

"His estate was put into stewardship to Geoffrey D'Arcy, The Lord of Myrk and Sphagbog. Through him, the affairs of Your Great Uncles estate would be transferred."

Clavados swirls a Brandy in his goblet as he continues.

"However, a complications has occurred...Geoffrey D'Arcy has been murdered!"

TheBlackDragon
09-03-2009, 10:08 AM
"Murdered!... that's awful. My deepest condolences do his family. I only hope his murderer is brought to justice so this whole mess can be settled. I don't want to bring any more trouble to your people."

Ravi's expression appears sincere, her thoughts are still entirely fixated on whatever inheritance awaits her.

"If there's anything I can do to help with D'Arcy's investigation..."

Ravi eye's never blink the entire conversation.

Bluff

Necron99
09-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Zodd wants to know if Clavados might be hiding anything in his nature.

Insight check

JCD
09-06-2009, 04:44 PM
"That does, in fact, sound complicated." Silt's arms cross behind his back, the short man taking one of many long drinks of brandy. "What happened? Who handles the estate now?"

wizarddog
09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Clavdos smiles at Ravi's comments.

"Excellent!"

"Perhaspe I should go over the particulars of the case..."

Zodd listens as he examines the chambers of Clavados and the man himself. Clavados, despite working for a Theocracy has a variety of artwork and weapons from various cultural backgrounds. His library consist work of religion, philosophy, engineering and nature. He values gifts, no matter how humble from the weaved decorated basket that is displayed to the large tapestry of a coat of Arms displaying a Lion, Shield and two swords. The writing on the tapestry states: Honor before Glory.

"...a few weeks ago, a bailiff of Tollburn sent word that two reed-gathers had found a strangled body of a richly garbed ld man floating in the Sphagbog. I traveled to the village with Kilanas (a Praefact) and a squad of men-at arms to investigate. I discovered the corpse was none other than Geoffrey D' Arcy, a fellow cavalier and Master of Myrkfast.

Geffrey was soon laid to rest according to custom...but not before I had Kilanas (upon my insistence) use a speak with dead ritual on his corpse and learn the following..."

Clavados pushes a piece of paper in front of you it reads:

Question: Geoffory, who or what killed you?
Answer: My own...son..Miles D'arcy, it was ...he"
Question: "Was he alone?"
Answer: "Yes....but I was there."
Question: "Why did he do this thing?"
Answer:"I came upon him...with the other...they had the relic which was...stolen...from Eylea...one of the eight..."

He pasues, waiting your reactions, though it looks he has more to say.

Necron99
09-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Before giving a response, Zodd tries to remember any important historic details or religious lore of the relic relating to 'one of the sight' in Eylea.

History Check
Religion Check

TheBlackDragon
09-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Slightly disheartened by the increasing effort that looks to be necessary Ravi continues with an expression of genuine concern.

"Forgive me, I'm not versed in your local history. I don't know what it means... one of the sight? Missing relics?... I'm eager to help but I need a clearer understanding of what's happened."

Ravi eyes the paper again, as if reading it a second time.

"Hmm, those riches are looking farther and farther away each minute Drow... perhaps we should have dredged the swamp for coins." Her familiar begins it's usual telepathic distractions.

"Please, continue Lord Clavados." Ravi shuts out the bird's noise as her attention remains on the lucrative conversation at hand.

wizarddog
09-09-2009, 02:58 PM
(DM the last line should have read:
Answer:"I came upon him...with the other...they had the relic which was...stolen...from Eylea...one of the eight..." my bad.)

Zodd, who took it upon himself to learn everything about the inhabitants of Eylea and the Ffenargh before the journey knows he must be referring to the Eight Relics of Eylea: A gilded Skull, ivory Prayer wheel, alabaster vase, stuffed owl, pewter chalice, wooden bowl, mummified hand and a Red robe all of which belonged to the Saints of Eylea (before ascension into the heavens). They are housed and protected in the Treasury. Of what sort of protection, he did not find any information on. The Relics are supposed to be dated for over 300 years.

Clavados continues:
"Full of wrath, I immediately hurried to Myrkfast, but Miles D'arcy, Geffory's son, met me on the road and he surrendered without a struggle. I was forced to bring him to Eylea unharmed.

Back in Eylea things became even worse. I had sent two Praefacts into the treasury to check for the theft of one of the Relics, but mysteriously, were never seen again. A squad of guards I had sent to Mryfast to investigate the scene of the crime have still not returned.

The trial of miles begins tomorrow at the next sitting of the Clerical Court. The theft of one of Eylea's most holy relics, coupled with such a heinous murder, requires more than just men at arms. The ancient rules laid down at the founding of the Clerical courts forbid the use of evidence obtained solely by magical means (et al Speak with dead) and unless I can at least show that a relic has been stolen from the treasury, the court may have to throw out the case for lack of evidence.".

Clavados sloshes the glass of brandy in his hand in deep contemplation.

Necron99
09-09-2009, 03:14 PM
"I see, one of the eight relics...has Miles been questioned at all for any additional information on the subject on the matter?"

TheBlackDragon
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
"Most distressing... I presume you'll need some assistance with his trial then?"

"Oh no, I can see we'll be in the negative after this adventure. I'm amazed you can afford to eat" The Raven mocks Ravi again as it flies outside.

"We'll do anything we can to bring this treacherous murderer to justice! And bring back your relics safely.

I know this pales in importance to the trial and murder at hand... but to whom do my dear Uncle's affairs become a burden after Geoffrey's death?"

Ravi continues her charming tone of voice, excitedly waiting for the Lord's words.

Vodka
09-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Throughout the entire affair Oswynn remains characteristically quiet, though the look on his features make it all too easy to guess that he is certainly less than thrilled at playing detective. Couldn't they just grab what was due and be on their way? Laws and rituals were, quite obviously, not something he comprehended to terribly well. Nor did he ever put forth much effort to learn of the matters. It just never... seemed important.

"So now we play detective?" he asked, sounding none too thrilled.

wizarddog
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Clavados eyes each of you intently as he answers...

"Currently, with the death of Geffory, it falls upon the head of the House of D'Arcy to mitigate all contracts. In this case, Miles D'Arcy is the steward of your Great Uncles assets! And while he is in custody, no charges have been brought on him as yet. If he is acquitted, it would be he who would deal with in this manner. If convicted, the stewardship would fall to the Church as Miles, although married, has no heir.

In regards to theft, Miles of course has said nothing, as it is his right and privileges as a Lord of Eylea. Furthermore, it is burden upon me to bring proof of his misdeed at the hearing. The treasury, by law is only accessible by members of the Church and the Lords of Eylea. The two missing prefects is distressing, for if I alert the church of the possible theft, my hopes of presenting any evidence on Miles will all be lost. Miles is fully aware that if I bring up the matter of the missing relic outside of this Cleric Council, his trial would be delayed due to urgency of that theft. Justice would not be served.

However... your arrival has given me an opportunity. By our laws, being a heir to a Lord, you and your companions have honorary status as Lords of Eylea while visiting this land. Trivial as it may seem, by the letter of the law, you have the power to enter the treasury without fear of persecution. Surely the council will object on principle, but by their own laws, they will have to rule in our favor from this ...technicality.

Now, I know I am asking much from you, but I offer some sort of compensation that is within my power. The Estate of your Great Uncle is mostly land and our laws inheritance taxes are levied heavily. However, I know that your Uncle utilized a Secret Chest ritual to store much of his jewels and treasures. Since this secret chest, as it was described by your Uncle, does not exist in Eylea, it cannot be taxed. As Bailiff, I would see that the letter of the law was enforced and the taxes to these treasures be exempt."

He sits back and folds his hands eyeing you intently.

TheBlackDragon
09-17-2009, 08:27 AM
"Ha!... hahahaha" Continuous laughter echoes in Ravi's mind once Clavados finishes.

"I'd be honored to assist in this matter Lord Clavados. Simply point me in the direction and I'll... we'll start the investigation immediately."

Ravi turns her head to face the others of her group who are present. A menacing face forms as soon as it's away from Clavados' view. It's obvious she wants no objections from anyone about this.

"Remind me why I keep you around bird, I can't remember when you've actually helped me!" Ravi retorts mentally to the Raven's incessant laughter.

"I'm here to keep you on track, and mock you when you're wasting both of our time! Murder trials? investigations and evidence? The last spell I can remember you casting nearly blew your friends into the swamp! I'm beginning to think you're no Sorcerer at all, just a commoner doing her lord's bidding."

"So, if nobody has any objections I suggest we get started right away."

Necron99
09-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Zodd eyes the rest of the group briefly, "No objections here. We should get started, and soon."

JCD
09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
"I've never had to visit a treasury because it was too safe." Silt's lips quirk into a smile, the man adding, "I'm ready to set out as soon as the rest of you. I can't say it's usual business, but it doesn't sound terribly difficult."

wizarddog
09-18-2009, 03:48 PM
With bellies full of food and wine, and a quick stop to your apartments to gather gear, you follow Clavados through the darken palace. You arrive at the treasury door, ornate and ancient. Clavados produces a key and before he inserts it he turns to you.

"The eight relics are kept in the central square chamber, the treasury has many halls but the artifacts are stored there specifically. I have never entered the chamber myself, my information is from others."

He unlocks the door and ushers you inside.

A murky silence silence engulfs you, as you enter the ancient Treasury. When you are all inside, Clavados swings the door closed and you are alone with accumulated paraphernalia of ages, tattered banners, fading paintings and dusty statues. Lanterns, glowing with out flickering flame illuminate the chamber.

The chamber you are in is 40x40 feet. From the west is a entrance way covered over by a tapestry of a great Lion, to the north is another tapestry covered by a great serpent. These appear to be the only exits save the double door you entered from the south.

TheBlackDragon
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
"Now we're in business! tomes of untold power, artifacts of real value!"

Ravi's Raven leaps from her shoulder in an attempt to fly off into the treasury. She snatches it's legs before it can take flight, it hangs flailing upside down from her hand.

"Let go of me you blundering imbecile!" The raven speaks out loud as it thrashes in an attempt to free itself.

"You'll stay with me while we're in here, once this investigation foolishness is over you can do whatever you like. I'll not have you spoil this inheritance by stealing something."

Letting go of it's legs the raven hits the ground with a squawk.

"I haven't the slightest idea what to do in here, set it on fire maybe... suggestions?" Ravi peers around loosely with obvious disinterest.

Necron99
09-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Zodd scratches his chin, in deep thought, and scans the room to recall any historical or religious lore in order to lead the party in the right direction.

History check
Religion check

wizarddog
09-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Zodd recalls the Eylea people's history fall into three major era's: The Age of Dawn, The Age Renewal, and The Age of Glory. The Age of Dawn is usually depicted by an owl. The Age of Glory is depicted by a lion while the Age of Renewal is depicted by a Serpent.

The ancient artifacts were acquired from the age of Dawn. The age of Glory is relatively the longest era, though some scholars claim it is artificially extended. Outside scholars usually call the current age, The Age of Decline, and believe a Newt would best serve as that age's icon. No such scholar would dare set foot into Eylea, for surely something foul would besiege them.

Necron99
09-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Recalling the history of Eylea, Zodd turns to his party.

"Right, there are three eras to the history of these people. Age of Dawn represented by an owl, Age of Glory with a lion, and Age of Renewal with a serpent. Scholars outside of Eylea call the current age of history the Age of Decline, represented by a Newt. The artifacts were taken from the Age of Dawn...but I see no exit or anything represented by an Owl here. How should we proceed?"

wizarddog
09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
The silence, save the squawking raven, is eerie.

TheBlackDragon
09-23-2009, 09:11 AM
"I don't see any reason for them to hide anything in here, it seems well secluded on it's own. Three paths, four walls, only one isn't being used. Perhaps check there for something hidden."

Ravi continues to gaze around the room.

Perception

"Otherwise I'd assume it would just be adjacent to one of these other two rooms."

Necron99
09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Zodd also gazes around the room, assisting Ravi in gazing the room to point them in the right direction.

Perception assist

wizarddog
09-24-2009, 02:42 PM
A search of the chamber commences. The chamber is aligned with bits of pottery, brass fineries and poorly designed sculptures, revealing no secrets. From the designs, it appears the artwork is of the Age of Glory and is displayed as contemporary artifacts. Their value, based on craftsmanship and materials, is very low

The way forward is to the North behind the tapestry of a serpent. To the west, a tapestry to of a Lion is featured.

wizarddog
09-28-2009, 03:12 PM
A slight breeze blows and flickers the lanterns, dancing shadows along the walls.

Necron99
09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
OOC - I'm a little confused and was waiting for another party member to speak up. So there is no room for the Age of Dawn (represented by an Owl), the age the relics are from?

wizarddog
09-28-2009, 09:42 PM
DM: As far as you can see here. The structure from the outside certainly is larger than this chamber. You have two exits (excluding the double doors), both are covered by tapestries. One depicts the Age of Glory, the other the the Age of Renewal. Perhaps there is a section to the age of Dawn but it's not accessible from this chamber.

Necron99
09-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Massaging the temples of his head, Zodd turns to the party and says, "We need to find the Age of Dawn chamber. The relics were acquired from that age. The Age of Renewal took place directly after Dawn, so I suggest heading to that chamber, if no one objects."

Zodd walks towards the Age of Renewal chamber.

wizarddog
10-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Zodd leads the way and pulls the serpent tapestry back. The next chamber is lite by a very similar lantern and is much the same size. A variety of old worn furniture align the walls carved with snake motifs and gaping mouths of cobras. A threadbare rug adorns the floor showing a depiction of snakes shedding their skins. To the east a tapestry of a Lion covers an exit. To the North another tapestry of serpent leads out. This one is a bit more thread worn.

Necron99
10-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Zodd notices both tapestries, but is curious to see if there are any items of significance from either historical or religious backgrounds that can aid them.

History check
Religion chcek

"I'm going to check the room for anything hidden, if I can. After that I think we should head towards the older Serpent tapestry."
Perception check

TheBlackDragon
10-03-2009, 08:53 AM
"Very well" Ravi replies in a monotone voice.

"Lead on, lets get this nonsense over with"

wizarddog
10-04-2009, 11:57 PM
The furniture appears to be the style of the late part of the age of renewl.
This was the time of purging of hertics from the Lordship of the people of Ffenargh. The cobra and posionous snake motifs are drawn from the ledgendary (and exagerated) assasination of a Lord Sephias of Ffenargh who sat in an enchanted chair where the snakes bite him with deadly poison. The chairs and tables presented are simply fascilmilies in style and have no such enchnatment on them. The style was popular as a symbol of ones loyalty to the Lord Spirtuals; those who were of the right need not fear their wrath.

No secrets seem hidden in this room from Zodd's examination.

Necron99
10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Zodd, discouraged, walks north to the older section of the Age of Renewal. He admires the thread worn serpent tapestry and walks through.

TheBlackDragon
10-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Ravi follows the wizard, only half paying attention. Obvious disinterest on her face.

wizarddog
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Moving through the thread bare tapestry, the group enters another chamber. This large chamber holds many varieties of pottery from the middle of The Age of Renewal. A series of two tables also displays the various jugs, cups, and ceramics of the era. The walls are filled to the gills with many pieces of various sizes and shapes, mostly in serpentine neck heads and painted with depictions of the era. To west is a thread-worn tapestry of a Lion. To the south adjacent to the tapestry you exited is a another serpent tapestry, However, it it appears to have suffered fire damage. And oddly, their is the smell of brimstone in the air.

Necron99
10-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Zodd, interested in the recent fire damage, walks through the damaged serpent tapestry.

wizarddog
10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Through the burnt tapestry, the scene inside the room is grizzly. Scorch marks are on the walls and floor. Many metal artifacts are melted or burnt to a crisp. The fineries of banners have been reduced to ash and the pottery on shelves is covered in soot. In the center lie two charred corpses, any possessions have been burnt completely off them. Dangling from above is a rope attached to a small open window some 20 feet high in the chamber, the first you ever saw. The end of the rope is burnt as well. Below on the floor next to it is a ash coated dagger. The smell of brimstone is overpowering. A lantern covered in ash still lights the room, perhaps magical.

The only exit is a a north adjacent passageway, the tapestry burnt completely off.

Necron99
10-09-2009, 01:07 AM
"Well...someone has obviously been up to no good here." Zodd picks up the dagger, dusts it off, and looks it over for any clues that might identify the owner.
Insight check on dagger
Perception check on dagger

After looking over the dagger and putting it in his pouch, Zodd will pick up the lantern, dust it off, and walk through the north exit to the unknown room.

TheBlackDragon
10-09-2009, 09:05 PM
"Things just got vastly more interesting!" Ravi's eye's light up at the obvious scars of powerful magic.

"The magic here must have been intense, or perhaps some of that alchemical foolishness the short ones are so fond of."

Arcana - Attempting to identify any known source/spell

"It seems all the others have no interest in helping me recover my inheritance, none other than you Zodd. You'll be justly rewarded for your assistance."

Ravi continues inspecting the room, never actually looking at Zodd as she speaks.

"What do you make of all this?"

Necron99
10-10-2009, 12:11 AM
"This is where the thieves made their grand entrance and escape...and left death in their wake as well."

Arcana assist
Perception check to see if anything is out of the ordinary in the room

OOC - Just to let everyone know, I will be out of town until tuesday night and may not have internet until then. So don't think I abandoned the game if you dont hear from me :)OOC - Just to let everyone know, I will be out of town until tuesday night and may not have internet until then. So don't think I abandoned the game if you dont hear from me :)

wizarddog
10-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Zodd examines the dagger. He notes it belonged to small size user, possible a halfling made blade.

Ravi and Zodd believe the blast was intense heat, most likely a breath weapon of fire.

Peering through the north passage Zodd see the next chamber full of suits of ornament armor bearing serpent motifs. The armor looks very impractical for battle with the arching serpent helms and shields. Another Tapestry is on the north wall of a serpent. Large paw prints fade from ash are on the floor and disappear beyond the north tapestry.

Necron99
10-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Zodd, turns to Ravi and asks, "Hmm...what do you recommend we do Ravi? Follow the prints?"

TheBlackDragon
10-14-2009, 03:58 PM
"Breath weapons! this went from looting a treasury to fighting off Dragons!" The Raven speaks as it flies to the highest point it can find in the room.

"I doubt a dragon could fit in here foolish bird, at least not one old enough to pose a threat... I hope. Whatever it was didn't get in here by mistake. Something else is at work here."

Ravi looks around the room again.

"Where are all those other sell-swords we'd hired? Is it really just the two of us down here?"

wizarddog
10-14-2009, 04:22 PM
(DM tis the case on all PbP that some drop out--the adventure will be adjusted accordingly-I'm running this on and off with 2 person party at home;)

The others seem to have wandered in another direction for the moment-perhapse lost or rethinking their commitment. Zodd is pretty sure the passageway ahead should lead to the earlier part of the Age of Renewal and hopefully to the Age of Dawn. However, evidence suggest there may be something else...

TheBlackDragon
10-14-2009, 04:31 PM
"We're already down here, and I don't intend to come out empty handed, and consequently empty inherited from my Uncle. We've got to push on and handle things on our own. I don't like the prospects of only having that cursed raven as a shield between us and whatever is in here though."

Ravi pushes the tapestry aside and proceeds through the ashes.

Necron99
10-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Zodd nods his approval, "My thoughts exactly. Let's press on, I'm with you."

He follows Ravi through the gloomy ashes, making no sound but his feet walking along the ashen floor.

wizarddog
10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Cautously, Ravi and Zodd move across the chamber leaving ash footprints behind them. They pass through the very threadbare serpent tapestry and emerge into a smaller chamber of 20x20 filled with closed glass displays of small intricate cups, vases, combs and other personal artifacts. These appear to have some value with gleaming gemstones sparkling amongst them. The iron grated cabinets that store them are very solid--perhapse created in more recent time. At the far west wall a tapestry hangs in another passage. Zodd smirks in satisfaction. Upon the tapestry is the intricate and abstract design of an owl. But the smell of brimstone still lingers in the air...

TheBlackDragon
10-15-2009, 04:00 PM
"Keep some spells in mind here, we may need them at a moments notice."

Ravi moves more delicately and with a slight frown.

"This is foolishness Ravi! you're going to get us killed!" The raven flies and lands inside the hood of Ravi's cloak.

"These explosions could have happened days ago, we're likely just catching the scent of the thief long after it's left. Stay quiet... if you're capable."

"I'm not feeling too optimistic about this Zodd, lets proceed and get out of here."

Necron99
10-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Agreeing, Zodd points to the owl designed tapestry. "There is the Age of Renewal symbol, the relics were stolen from there. Hopefully whomever took the relics did not have time to lace his escape path with traps."

Zodd looks around the room and towards the entrance to the Age of Renewal for any signs of traps or magic spells that could cause them harm.

Perception check
Arcana check

wizarddog
10-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Zodd senses nothing arcane in nature in this room or the tapestry and it's entry way.

However... as he was examining for any mechanical trickery, a deep and loud growl is heard echoing from behind the tapestry. Its bellow echoes through out the chamber in reverberation.

Ravi witness the tapestry before them shudder from some sort of hot breeze that enters the chamber. The smell of brimstone is now overwhelming.

Necron99
10-17-2009, 12:58 AM
"Look out!" Zodd yells and with a quick spring, jumps towards Ravi and moves the both of them out of the main entrance to the tapestry, in case a spell was hurled their way.

TheBlackDragon
10-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Her Raven tumbles clumsily to the floor as Ravi is knocked aside.

She pauses for a brief moment.

"You three, cover the other exits! Ja'Dara, keep your shield up!. We'll flush this beast out and have it's head!"

Ravi motions to Zodd to cover the other side of the doorway. She holds her next move for a sign of the enemy emerging.

Bluff
**Delay action**

Necron99
10-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Zodd, with his staff in hand, moves to the other side of the doorway.

"Light come forth!" Zodd yells as he casts his Light spell down the chamber to see what is causing the heat.

Perception check after light spell

wizarddog
10-20-2009, 02:25 PM
The two warriors move away from the doorway. A foul stench of wet and hot breath enters the chamber. Before them, the thread-worn tapestry of the stoic owl disintegrates from some heat before them. Zodd's light is cast and emerging from the doorway is a medium sized jet black hound with fiery red eyes. Smoke streams from its nostrils and acid like drool sizzles from its obsidian fangs onto the stone floor. Its growl; a thundering undertone of hell's echo. The form radiates an intense heat that distorts the area around it.

(Ravi has readied an action to ... bluff ?. Otherwise roll for initiative.)

Necron99
10-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Zodd, slightly on edge and staff in hand, eyes the hound and tries to think of what exactly they are dealing with and gets ready for combat...

Monster knowledge - Arcana
Monster knowledge - Religion

Initiative

TheBlackDragon
10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
(OOC: Was holding action until monster was visible, if it's not applicable this will be my action for the turn.)

Ravi's eyes turn an electric blue as she harnesses arcane energy into a small ball in the palm of her hand.
with a sharp motion she tosses it into the beast's face. It detonates into a ear-splitting thundercrack, causing the enemy to lose focus.

Initiative
Thunder Bomb vs. Fortitude
Thunder damage

**If hit, the target is immobilized until the end of my next turn**

Necron99
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
OOC - Might need to fix your attack roll :P

TheBlackDragon
10-21-2009, 01:18 PM
(OOC - I noticed that just after posting, but editing usually rerolls everything. Not sure if it's best to just let Wiz do it behind the scenes or force it to reroll all of it)

Just fixed it but it didn't seem to add on the roll at the bottom. I'll do it here.

Thunder Bomb vs. Fortitude
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Thunder Bomb vs. Fortitude

wizarddog
10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
The Creature growls and belches out a fiery breath towards Ravi.

Monster's Initiative

Fiery Breath vs reflex

Fire Damage

And moves next to him. At the beginning of Ravis turn he takes 5 points of fire damage.

Monsters initiative is set at 20.

Zodd recognizes the creature as a Guardian Deamon. A foul elemental beast usually summoned as a guardian to ancient treasures. The creatures can be any form and of any elemental type and usually are very resistant to that element. They are limited in intelligence. relying on brute strength and power to destroy any enemy. Their was brief mention of them in the Lord Spirtual's ancient text of ancient creatures of fire, water, air, light, earth, metal, and ice that were the guardians of the artifacts of ages. Zodd believes the legends must be true.

Ravi spares no time in contemplation and releases her Thundering bomb on the creature. The impact of the spell shakes the chamber and the creature roars in pain, unable to move any further.

TheBlackDragon
10-21-2009, 05:53 PM
The Beast is disoriented from Ravi's blast, it's aim is skewed causing the fire to narrowly miss the agile Drow. Fire scorches the wall behind her.

Necron99
10-22-2009, 02:45 AM
Zodd points his staff towards the Demon, exhales slowly and blasts a projectile of energy towards the monster.

Magic missle attack
Magic missle damage

(Assuming Zodd is not in a position for an Attack of Opportunity on him) - After firing his magic missle, Zodd yells to Ravi, "I'll try and flank it!" As a move action, Zodd takes advantage of the creatures immobilization and tries to get in position on the opposite site of the creature from Ravi to flank it.

(If Zodd can receive an AoO, he doesn't move)

TheBlackDragon
10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Using the beast's stupor to her advantage Ravi moves away, opposite Zodd. Once at a fair distance to the beast she turns to focus her energy.

"It would seem we're at a disadvantage without our armored friends! We're going to use offense as our best defense here."

Electricity sparks around her staff before shooting in a crackling link to the beasts body.

Lightning Strike vs. Reflex
Lightning Damage -5 to resistances

Lightning arcs off the beasts body and shocks the wall near it harmlessly.

wizarddog
10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Zodd moves around the creature and fires a magic missile. It deflects off the creatures hide and smashes a priceless vase in the corner.

Ravi lets go a mighty electrical blast at the cretaure that howls in pain. It shudders from the previous immbolization and rushes at Ravi with its gaping maw.

Bite vs AC
damage
acid damage

TheBlackDragon
10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Attempting to avoid the creature's charge Ravi leaps to the side. The beast anticipates her actions and turns to bite down on her arm.

She exhales in pain as acid burns her open wound.

Necron99
10-22-2009, 09:20 PM
"Damn it!" Shocked that his magic missle deflected off the creature, Zodd launches another attack.

Yellowish crackling light builds up at the end of his staff, and he launches a ray of it towards the creature.

Ray of Enfeeblement attack vs Fort
Damage, and target is weakened until my next turn if it hits

TheBlackDragon
10-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Still wounded by the monster's bite, Ravi conjures a burst of indistinguishable sounds from all around. From a dragon's roar to trees falling the swirl of sounds serves to distract her enemies allowing more time to defend against their attacks.

Taking a safe step backwards to avoid it's bite, Ravi begins to spin on her feet. The air gathers and swirls around her until a whirlwind of debris surrounds her.

Stopping abruptly the whirlwind moves quickly over the beast, attempting to knock it off it's feet.

Minor: Chaotic Defense (effect 2: +2 to all defenses for the encounter)
Move: Shift 1 opposite enemy
Standard: Whirlwind

Whirlwind vs. Fortitude
Damage - Knocked prone if hit

wizarddog
10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Zodds ray of enfeeblement seems to have no effect on the very tough creature.

Ravi feels the intense heat of the creature (5 points of fire damage) She then summons forth a whirlwind. The artifacts and artwork begin to flutter and dust swirls about the chamber. With its release, it clobbers the creature, sending back 5 feet and knocking it on its back.

The creature gets up, shakes it head and belches forth another flaming breath to Ravi (Zodd hasn't really given it a reason to go after him).

Fiery Breath vs Reflex
Fire damage

TheBlackDragon
10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Ravi has built an endurance to the elements, but not to such an extent with fire and heat. (Resist 2: Fire)

Cringing as threads of her clothes shrivel from the heat she focuses her sights back on the beast just in time to see it breath fire in her direction. Both the creature having been knocked down and the confusion of her chaotic defense serve to protect Ravi, she drops low to the ground well it time for the fire to pass harmlessly over her head.

Springing up to her feet her eyes glow a familiar blue. Electricity arcs between her fingers before leaping to the creature. The lightning seems to bounce aimlessly around it, forming odd angles in the air. After a moment all these points shoot towards the creature as their focal point.

As the lightning converges into it, a blast of thunder echoes around it.

Dancing Lightning vs. Reflex
Lightning Damage -5 to resistance
**No adjacent creatures, no thunder damage**

Necron99
10-23-2009, 10:28 PM
"Grrr...," Zodd, very frustrated at his failing attacks, launches another spell.

He chants in an ominous tone, and a shadow figure materializes near the creature...

Phantasmal Assailant vs Will
Damage

As a minor action, Zodd points his staff of Distant Shielding towards Ravi. "May the light protect you." As he says this, a radiant shield appears to encircle Ravi and then fades away quickly.

Radiant Shield - Next attack against Ravi makes the creature receive 10 radiant damage.

wizarddog
10-24-2009, 12:30 AM
The thunderous crash of light strikes true on the beast and it howls in pain.

The sudden apprance of phantom creatures also confue it, attacking its pyschic soul. Zodd smiles as cracks begin to appear on the creature's torso.

The beast is unsure who to attack but the damage from Ravi spell has angered it and it charges at her.Just inches from Ravi brillant light explodes around her. The creature is dumbfounded and bits more of its hide shatter off from explosion of the radiant shield.

Bite vs AC
acid damage

Necron99
10-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Also the creature takes ongoing 5 psychic damage and grants combat advantage to Ravi and myself (save ends both)

TheBlackDragon
10-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Confident the beast is too weakened to even hit an idle target, she stays her ground. The beast rams itself into Zodd's shield which stops it's attack.

"It's staggering Zodd! help me finish it!"

Stepping backwards she conjures more lightning, linking it from her staff to the creature's beaten body.

Lightning Strike vs. Reflex -5 to resistance
Lightning Damage

Additional lightning ricochet's off it's hide into the ceiling.

Necron99
10-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Zodd again points his staff towards the creature. His breath becomes a mist and the tip of his staff starts to freeze as a dark grey cloud forms over the creature and blinding, stinging ice and snow assaults it...

Winter's Wrath vs Fort
damage

Creature also takes 5 psychic damage from previous attack until it makes a save.

TheBlackDragon
10-24-2009, 03:26 PM
"How did something like this get inside here? I thought this place was sealed?

Not that I'm complaining, this is entertaining."

Necron99
10-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Zodd turns to Ravi while the creature takes damage from their attacks.

"Probably conjured by someone wanting to keep their thievery a secret for as long as possible."

TheBlackDragon
10-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Ravi scoffs at the idea.

"Summoned.. coward magicians use mindless beasts as their fodder. Too weak to fight us himself I'll wager!"

She has to yell to overcome the persistent noise of her distracting defensive spell.

wizarddog
10-25-2009, 08:58 AM
The distracted creatures, howling in pain at the phantasmal assault is blasted once again by the lightning of Ravi. Bits of its body break off revealing a reddish glow below the thick skin. Zodd fires his wintry wrath at the creature. It gives off a horrid snarl. That certainly got its attention! It brakes off of Ravi and charges at Zodd with its nasty fangs!

Creatures save
Charging Bite vs AC
Acid damage

(Ravi has an opportunity attack if adjacent to the creature and has a way of striking it. If he destroys it before it reaches Zodd, he naturally takes no damage.)

TheBlackDragon
10-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Seizing the beast's foolish actions as a chance to strike, Ravi makes a wide swing with her staff.

Melee Basic vs. AC
Damage

Necron99
10-28-2009, 01:15 AM
"Fall! Fall!" Zodd shouts has he prepares another spell

The tip of his staff begins to form ice crystals as a bolt of ice fires towards the creature.

Icy Rays vs Reflex
[roll=1d10+8]Damage

wizarddog
10-28-2009, 02:33 PM
The creature is struck by Ravi's staff and chunks of its hide break off. It leaps upon Zodd with its hideous maw. Zodd fires his icy ray just as the creature is upon him. It becomes increased in a icy block, then falls, shattering into many large chunks of rock. The ice melts away and vapors rise from the debris. Before Zodd is a sizable chunk of rock before him. He notes its a large piece of raw obsidian.

The chamber, full of scorch marks and pot holes now lies silent. The tapestry before the two caster completely burnt off leading into another chamber.

TheBlackDragon
10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
"Good work, the beast should have ran when it had the chance!" Ravi mocks the rubble.

Poking it's head out of her cloak, the Raven chimes back into the conversation.

"I should have ran when I had the chance, I thought i'd die of old age waiting for you kill that defenseless thing."

She ignores it's comments, keep her eyes on the now open passageway into the next chamber.

"Dust yourself off, and take a minute to catch your breath... no more than 5 minutes and we're off"

Necron99
10-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Zodd sighs and sits down. "It had me worried for a minute. That thing was bothersome. How badly are you hurt?"

Zodd eyes the stone for any sign of clues as to who or what created the monster they just battled.
Perception
Arcana check for any magical evidence
Insight check on who might have possibly created the monster

TheBlackDragon
10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
"I'm alright..." Ravi bandages the acid burnt bite wound on her forearm. A mild sweat trickles from her brow.

**Spends 1 healing surge during short rest**

"Just a little more work than I was expecting, I was banking on having some of those mercenaries in front of us."

As they spend a moment recuperating she also looks over the relic left behind by the dead creature.

Arcana

wizarddog
10-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Zodd recalls that Guardian Daemons are usually summoned to protect objects or chambers. Since the ritual is long and involved with expensive materials, it would requires substantial arcane energy to summon one. Possibly, the ritual to do so may be long lost. Since the creature was mobile, the summoning could be anywhere in the whole treasury. No evidence shows it was this chamber.


Ravi notes the stone left behind is pure obsdidain, very valuable, about 300gp.

TheBlackDragon
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
"Guardian Daemons... I hope this wasn't put here by the town and they happened to have forgotten to mention it."

Studying the shard further she attempts to appraise it.

"More likely whoever robbed the chambers didn't want their tracks followed."

She flips the gem in the air.

"This could be worth about 300g to the right buyer I'd say"

After a few more tosses the Raven can't contain itself, it lunges after the stone, just missing it. Ravi pockets the gem immediately, scorning the Raven as it lands on the other side of the room.

"Lets continue"

Necron99
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Zodd laughs aloud, then says, "That's right, we might be needing that money for our expenses. I'm looking forward to a cold ale after all this."

He points to the chamber the creature was guarding, "This is the Age of Renewal chamber, the relics were taken from there."

Zodd walks into the Age of Renewal chamber.

wizarddog
11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
The stone work of the next chamber changes drastically in this hexagonal room. In the center is a eight-sided stone column with a glass-fronted alcove in each face. One of the glass panels has been smashed and the alcove behind it completely empty. Beneath the alcove, a compartment door hangs open. Black scorch marks are evident in the small compartment and at the inside of the compartment door.

In the other seven cases behind glass are a gilded skull, an ivory prayer wheel, an alabaster vase, a wooden bowl, a stuffed owl, a pewter chalice, and a mummified hand.

You hear a soft humming the chamber, but that could be the ringing of your ears as it is eerily quite.

Necron99
11-03-2009, 12:55 PM
"What the bloody hell..."' Zodd, still a little on edge after the recent battle, scans the room for any signs of magical traps, or anything else that may harm them. Also, he tries to figure out what the sound is coming from.

Perception check
Arcana check for magical traps or evidence
Insight check

TheBlackDragon
11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Ravi moves slowly into the room, more cautiously than the previous.

Perception

"So this is where we're supposed to find some clues is it?"

Necron99
11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Zodd looks at Ravi in an amused way, and wonders why she is walking around like she is blind...

"Er...yes, yes quite so. They were taken from here."

TheBlackDragon
11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Ravi doesn't appear to even be trying to look for anything, let alone clues. She wanders about aimlessly for a few moments as if she is waiting; eventually focusing back to Zodd.

"Right.. I suppose I should help" Her Raven flies out of her hood and begins circling the ceiling as best it can trying to spot something.

wizarddog
11-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Zodd finds no motive beyond what he sees. He does notice that some runes are embedded in the lower compartment under the charred scorch marks. Further investigation show they are magical rune of some sort of summoning spell. Their intercity shows they are from ancient magic, maybe lost to current arcane scholars. Most of the runes are spent and useless for any magic he can think of.

Ravi sees nothing beyond the items in the cases. Her Raven flies up and looks around but gives no indication of spotting dangerous or out of the ordinary (for this chamber).

(DM You might want to recall why your here...)

TheBlackDragon
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
"Well, it's obvious one of those relics was stolen, and not stealthily."

Ravi runs he finger across the blackened stone.

"We should have a look around for the missing people sent in to do our job before us... but I have a feeling they made lunch for that daemon guardian"

She continues to look around the chamber aimlessly.

"I guess that's all they needed us to do then, just confirm it's missing and live to tell them about it. Hopefully that'll be enough of this detective work... hard to believe you surfacers put females to work like this.

Men ruling and roaming free with no consequence!"

Focusing her eyes back from a momentary day-dream she turns back to Zodd.

"Anything else?"

Necron99
11-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Zodd writes down the runes, in case they need proof of the monster's conjuring by someone.

"We need some type of evidence to show the relics were stolen. I don't think the court will believe us without offering any hard proof. Especially, in a high profile trial."

Zodd again thinks about what type of evidence would be useful and then looks around the room to see if there is any evidence they can bring back with them.

Insight check to see what evidence will be useful
Perception

wizarddog
11-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Zodd looks about for evidence. He can't take anything outside the chamber that belongs to the Spirituals less committing blasphemy.

However, the dagger and rope certainly do not belong here. You will have to provide eye witness account of the stolen artifact. Maybe if you report it, someone will investigate. In any case, that's Clavados's problem (he was the one who believe it was stolen to begin with.)

The fate of the two prefects may have been the two scorched bodies in the chamber where you found the rope and dagger.

Unless you want to investigate further, Zodd feels you have enough.

TheBlackDragon
11-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Landing on one of the relics the Raven speaks out loud.

"If I was asked to prove something and conduct an investigation, I would check all the rooms, not just look at the obvious and jump to the nearest conclusion."

Ravi's hand jolts with electricity as she scowls at the raven. "I haven't left yet have I?! and I don't remember asking your opinion on the matter."

"Of course you didn't ask me, if you did you'd be rich and powerful. Instead you ignore me and continue to bottom feed from town to town!"

In anger Ravi launches lightning out from her hand, it blasts the wall where the Raven's head was just a moment before it flew away.

It flies instinctively out of the way, as if it's had to dodge lightning more than twice.

"Fine, we'll stay in this stagnant museum as long as you like, lets have a look around then Zodd"

Ravi steps through to the nearest doorway.

Necron99
11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
"I think the dagger and rope that we found are enough to prove that someone was there when they should not have been. We can leave if you wish. We should get back soon anyway unless you want to look around for a few more moments." as Zood gives a friendly smile to Ravi and the animal companion.

TheBlackDragon
11-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Ravi leans her head into the next chamber for a quick look around before dismissing the notion entirely.

Perception

Necron99
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Zodd walks back to the chamber where they found the dagger and rope and examines the two scorched bodies to see if there is anything to take back with them that will identify them as the two prefects.

Perception

Also, Zodd looks at the broken window where the rope led to, to see about how big it is. (As in if only a halfling could fit into it)

perception

wizarddog
11-09-2009, 07:44 AM
The two investigators retrace their steps and try to piece the evidence to their conclusions: A small humanoid apparently had descended the small hidded window above. Someone had smashed the display and stolen one of the artifacts. They released a creature trapped beneath the display but escaped, leaving behind a dagger.

When the two prefects entered much later they stumbled upon the thieves dagger, only to be slain by the guardian daemon. Zodd fines one wearing a steel holy symbol of the Eylea Gods, it had survived the blast of heat.

It appears to be nothing else that shows foul play. The others of your party have seem to left the chamber, returning to Clavados.

Necron99
11-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Zodd retrieves the holy symbol, as proof of the prefects death in the chambers.

Wiping off the dusty and slightly bloody symbol, he turns to Ravi and says, "Well, I think our work is done here. If there isn't anything else we need to do, then I suggest we head back."

TheBlackDragon
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
"I think we've done more than enough, it's obvious to me there was foul play involved. Lets get back to the Lord and inform him of what we've found."

Ravi is walking towards the entrance as she speaks.

Necron99
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Zodd follows quickly behind, knowing they cannot delay. As they walk, Zodd looks around at the chambers, taking in the sights as he may not return here again in his life.

TheBlackDragon
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
As they set foot back into the daylight, Ravi turns slowly around to face Zodd.

"So... any thoughts on what the bigger picture is here? I'd hate to think we're playing into someone else's plans here."

She removes the shard from her pocket and continues flipping it absentmindedly as she speaks. Her Raven flies up a good distance and continues it's usual survey of the surrounding area.

"Maybe too early to tell.. we'll see what Clavados has to say about things."

She pockets the shard again, turning back around and fixing her hair; adjusts her clothing and begins heading back to Clavados.

wizarddog
11-12-2009, 11:11 PM
The wizard and sorcerer emerge from the treasury and are met by the anticipated Clavados.

"Good to see you are safe. The others in your party claimed they found nothing and left to their apartments. I found their claim dubious so I decide to wait. What have you found?"

Necron99
11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
OOC - Is it busy where Clavados meets us? ie do the walls have eyes and ears?

wizarddog
11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
(DM Clavados seems to have made the area absence of people. Remember that you are hear at night. But you can always request a more private setting.)

TheBlackDragon
11-13-2009, 08:36 AM
"We bring news Lord, is this a suitable place to discuss the sensitive investigation?"

Ravi takes a deep bow, while communicating to her familiar.

"See anything bird?"

Perception

wizarddog
11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
The raven notes Clavados guards keeping the area clear but nothing out of the ordinary. Clavados, acknowledging your concern, beckons you back to his apartment.

Momnets later, seated in from of the fire and with new brandy in hand he waits intently on your report.

Necron99
11-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Zodd sits down in a chair and settles himself, and makes sure Ravi is settled before speaking.

"Lord Clavados, we have found some very damning evidence from the vaults." Zodd pauses for a moment and says, "We believe that a small humanoid, most likely a halfling, descended from a small broken window 20 feet above the chamber where the artifacts were stolen. The thief left behind these..." Zodd removes the dagger and rope and places them on the table. "The dagger was found on the floor, covered in ash from the entire room being scorched with fire and brimstone."

"We then saw one glass display was smashed and the artifact taken. However, when they broke the display, they released a Guardian Daemon hiding under the display, and then they managed to escape." Zodd pauses to let Clavados take in the information.

"We then had to kill the beast to save our own lives. Also, we found two scorched bodies in the chamber, killed by the beast long before we arrived. One was carrying this holy symbol." Zodd places the Eylea Gods symbol on the table as well. "We believe these bodies were the two prefects." Zodd pauses one more time.

"We saw seven artifacts in the chamber. A gilded skull, an ivory prayer wheel, an alabaster vase, a wooden bowl, a stuffed owl, a pewter chalice, and a mummified hand. I'm sure you know which one was taken."

Zodd lets out a sigh and says, "I am glad we returned in one piece, without Ravi we would have been burnt to ashes."

Zodd pauses and waits for a response from Clavados and Ravi.

TheBlackDragon
11-18-2009, 08:50 AM
With a look of deep concern and dismay Ravi agrees with Zodd's recount of the events.

"I couldn't have said it more accurately myself, Lord. A most unfortunately turn out for the prefects...

How else can we help resolved this tragedy?"

Bluff vs. Passive Insight

wizarddog
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Clavados listens intensely to Zodd's report. The news seems to disturb him and satisfy him, possibly confirming his suspicions.

"The artifact missing, by your description, is the Robe of Ulm. With your testimony in tomorrow's Trial before the council in the house of ruling, I may be able to present the Lord Spirituals with credible evidence to my prosecution case. Miles will then be force to answer to these charges."

Clavados gulps his brandy, more chipper than he has been since you met him.

"The hour is late. I suggest you return to your accomodations, a steward will awake you in the morning to escort you to Hall. I again thank you for your help. Good night."


...and with that he escorts you to his chamber door where stewards await to take you back to the visitor's lodge.

Necron99
11-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Zodd gets an uneasy feeling, almost like being a marked target, ready to be silenced before the trial.

Zodd thinks to himself, "After all we've been through, I can't afford to be at ease..."

Zodd looks over both stewards that are escorting them to the lodge to see if their body language (sweating, etc) makes them seem uneasy.

Perception check
Insight check

OOC - LOL, Stewards? what stewards?

TheBlackDragon
11-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Sighing deeply Ravi leaves with Zodd and the stewards into the street.

Her eyes wander around the buildings for a few moments, eventually coming to Zodd. An eye brow raises before she returns to walking.

The raven lands on Zodd's shoulder, it speaks with it's own voice but personifies Ravi's inflection. It's slightly eerie to listen to.

"What's the matter Zodd? you seem uneasy. Anything I should know?"

It remains on his shoulder perched close as if waiting for a hushed response. Now seeing the bird up close it's not as offensive as should be expected of a carrion feeder. It's feathers are neatly preened, it appears completely clean and has no odor.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
"So fine stewards, where might I find a well cooked meal here? it's been a long day."

Ravi skips a few feet in front of the others; she grips her staff tightly while placing it out forward and using it to cartwheel without using her hands on the ground.

Acrobatics

Necron99
11-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Zodd, slightly uneasy, keeps his eyes and head straight, without turning to the raven, but speaks in a whisper.

"Maybe it's just my nerves, I'm not sure. But, I have a feeling that we should remain on guard until we're done with this trial. Being a high level case like this, the accused will go to any length to silence anyone with a valid testimony against them."

Zodd pauses and continues to walk for several more paces and again whispers to the raven.

"I for one will not see my friend's demise or my own will come at the hands of conspirators. Not very noble at all."

Zodd notices Ravi's acrobatics and gives a light chuckle. "I think a meal and a bed will do us well."

TheBlackDragon
11-21-2009, 09:31 AM
A moment from performing another cartwheel she stops with the end of her staff in the dirt.

The Raven continues:

"Hmm, you scholar types have your advantages don't you. I'm used to being the conspirator and not the conspired against... We'll keep a low profile then. I suggest we keep close, a double room perhaps.

I don't need any sleep, just some quiet meditation so there shouldn't be any surprises during the night."

Necron99
11-21-2009, 11:26 PM
"I agree. But, we shouldn't be too obvious over it while we are walking around this place. Just simply keeping our eyes open and weapons close at hand will be fine for now."

Zodd continues to walk with Ravi and the raven, while following the stewards

wizarddog
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Returned to their apartments, and fed, the two arcane casters keep their eyes peeled during the night. Despite being a strange place and weary of the events that transpire, nothing befalls them throughout the evening.

Morning comes, with breakfast of eggs, bread, fruits and vegetables. Just outside your apartment, an escort of guards await to take the two to the Halls of Justice. The sun eerily pears through must and fog like a giant eye of an angry god.

Necron99
11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Again, Zodd whispers to Ravi, "Be on guard, just in case."

Zodd turns to the guards and says, "Well, I believe we are ready to go. Lead the way."

wizarddog
11-24-2009, 02:58 PM
You arrive to the Hall of Ruling and Justice, a dingy octagonal chamber with raised thrones for the Lord Spirituals against the southern wall, a chair in the centre for the defendant, and benches around the other walls for the audience of Prefects and militia officers. The public benches begin to rapidly fill, Clavados is absent but his officers politely escort you to your own seats.

After a while a usher enters and cries: "All rise to honor their Most Reverend Worshipfulnesses, the Lords Spiritual of Eylea, High Priests of The Faith, Theocrats of the Ffenargh!"
Three priest then enter, decked out in robes accompanied by a disorderly procession of Prefects, and take their places. Next, Clavados and a group of officers bring in Miles D'Arcy and seat him before the judges. Miles appears to be 25 years of age and dressed in a blue surcoat emblazoned with an argent rampant hippogriff. He has a haughty and mean look on his face, sneering at you as he sits.

For an hour or so, the court goes through the tedious formalities of swearing-in officials, reading the charges and Mile's plea of "Not Guilty". Throughout, Clavados acts as prosecuting advocate, while Miles conducts his own defense.

Eventually, the time comes for Clavados to present the prosecution case.

Necron99
11-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Zodd whispers to Ravi, "I hope this goes smoothly, we put in too much work for this to go downhill. I hope Clavados gets everything in order."

Zodd fidgets around in his seat, his backside starting to feel the hard seat under him.

TheBlackDragon
11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Ravi replies in a whisper, her eyes fixed on Miles at the center of the room.

"I was certain there would be more investigation or proof, humans usually prolong their justice system as long as possible in favor of 'innocent until proven guilty'"

Her Raven is hidden, tucked completed in her large hood. Only the tip of it's beak can be seen by a keen eye when it finds the air too stifling.

"You're right, maybe we just weren't told all the details but it seems quick to a trial by human standards"

wizarddog
11-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Clavados presents his case. First he calls on Kilanas, the prefect who performed the speak with dead ritual, to rise and recount the words of the deceased Geoffrey D'Arcy but, predictably, the Lords Spiritual refuse to accept "arcarnum Magicana" (evidence obtained by magic).

Next Clavados calls on Ravi and Zodd to take the stand. All eyes of the chamber turn to you. Miles face is blank. Two bailiffs gesture towards the small area for testimony, awaiting you...

Necron99
11-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Zodd stands up proudly, adjusts his robes, and walks over to the testimony area, using his staff as a walking stick. *clank* *clank* *clank* is heard over the silence as he walks

TheBlackDragon
11-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Unlike her usual self, Ravi remains behind Zodd. Unexpectedly quite when given the chance to speak.

Necron99
11-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Zodd takes the stand and awaits the questioning, going over all the evidence and personal experiences that Ravi and himself collected during their investigation.

wizarddog
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Clavados approaches Zodd. He clears his throat and is about to ask a question when Miles jumps up from his seat.

"Enough my Good Lords," Miles cries"this prattling may suit well the trial of a chicken-thieving churl, it rings hollow when the honor of a Lord is at stake. I demand the judgement of independent peers. Grant me a Jury of Inquisition!"

Immediately the court is an uproar as the startled audience rises to their feet and Clavados tries, fruitlessly to protest...

TheBlackDragon
12-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Unimpressed, Ravi speaks quietly to Zodd.

"A Jury of Inquisition?... what is he blabbering about? Sounds like an attempt to stall from a guilty criminal"

Necron99
12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Zodd speaks up to the Judicial lords, "Your honors, my friend and myself have risked our lives to bring before you hard, tangible evidence that indeed shows thievery was at work in this case. It would be an outrage to every honest person here to not uphold the law when we bring you evidence to clear up this matter right here, today. It would also be a grave insult to Ravi and myself for putting our very lives on the line for the greater good and justice. I humbly ask that you allow Clavados to continue with his questioning in the name of law and reason. Oh and one more matter, we found the two bodies of the missing Prefects, if you choose to let Clavados speak."

Diplomacy (if needed)

Zodd, not too familiar with current law, tries to remember any famous court cases from history, and also how to logically proceed since Clavados seems to be faltering and he needs any advice from his previous book learning on how to proceed.

History check on judicial system
Insight check on how to proceed

wizarddog
12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Zodd's pleads are drown by most of the shouting going on in the chamber. One of the Lord Spirituals Waldergrave tries to hear what he is saying, but her coughing allows her to miss some of his speech. The Lord Spiritual Tyrwhitt is arguing with Clavados as he tries to make a case. The Main Lord Spirtual, Siranush is more upset that her court is out of control.

Zodd believes the issue is the Judge not taking control of the court. Miles smile as he stands cross armed shows he wanted this to happen.

In some legal systems, a "Jury of Inquisition" requires that a allows the accused be judged by his peers rather by government or church. These archiac laws were established to ensure loyalty from Lords who serve under the nations banner but not necessarily in their relgion or governmnet.

The Jury of Inquisition looks over and collects evidence on the case within a time frame. Before the end of the time frame, the Jury makes the decision if the defendant is guilty or not based on the evidence. In some judicial sytems, if the defendant is found not guilty, the accuser who brought the charges against them is instead imprisoned or put to death.

Within moments, Siranush restores order in the court, quite flustered...

Necron99
12-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Zodd clears his throat and again speaks to Siranush. Speaking loud enough for the whole court to hear, but not yelling or shouting,

"As I said over the noise, we have risked our lives to bring evidence that shows thievery of the relics took place. In my opinion, it would be an outrage to every honest person who holds law in the highest regard to not clear up this matter right here, today. Ravi and myself put our very lives on the line for justice and honor, and not honoring that is something I do not take lightly. I humbly ask that you allow Clavados to continue with his questioning to allow this matter to be cleared. If this means anything to you, we found the two bodies of the missing Prefects. If you choose to let Clavados speak, then the court will hear everything that we found. I ask that the court do the moral, honest, and lawful thing by letting our testimony be heard."

OOC - I guess use the same diplomacy roll as before if that is ok (or needed).

wizarddog
12-03-2009, 05:12 AM
As Zodd finishes, he realizes the sound around him had faded and all ears and eyes fall upon him.

Siranush stares at him with a frown, her brows pointed down in a arrow.

This court shall have no more outbursts!" she addresses to Zodd "My Lord, as strangers to our lands, I abide to you the chance to speak, but being unaware of court proceedings, know that your testimony must be delayed. The accused has demanded a Jury of Inquisition, and that must be honored."

She then turns to Miles.

"Miles D'arcy, well do you know that trial by Jury of Inquisition cannot be refused to you. Since time immemorial the secular Lords of Ffenargh have been free to choose their judges from those who are not lords of the church. Yet I question the wisdom of your plea. Clavados is the only other secular lord, and as your accuser, he is ineligible. What other lords are there?"

"These my Lord" Miles exclaims with a note of triumph, a smile on his face and his finger pointed in your direction. A murmur runs around the court, as the Lords spiritual hold a hushed discussion amongst themselves. Then Siranush raises her hand for silence and turning to you, passes judgment:

"My Lord and Lady, although you are strangers to the Ffenargh, yet must the law be served. You have proven that you are concerned about this case and intrested in its outcome. By the power of this court we do hereby command that you serve as Jury of Inquisition in this case. The Lord High Bailiff will explain your duties. Court dismissed!"

With the gavel brought down one final time, the three Lord Spirituals rise and begin to exit the court... not given a second glance of what has just happen.

TheBlackDragon
12-03-2009, 07:10 AM
As the crowd begins to leave at the Lord's dismissal Ravi faces Zodd with an enormous grin.

"WE will be his Jury?! He must be truly insane! What human chooses a Drow, and a female one at that, to be his judge? We should just kill him now and be done with it!"

She gazes about the thinning crowd in disbelief.

"Oh but you're still right as you were before, maybe he's not a stupid as I expect him to be, 'a few cards up his shirt', as human's say. All the more reason to kill him for his crimes before he can escap... What did the Lord say? that if he's not proven guilty WE may be punished?!"

Her thoughts fix on Miles as he's escorted out, blue light flickers across her eyes.

Recognizing that look on her face, Zodd pulls back on her staff before she gets carried away.

"YOU'LL HAVE YOUR JUSTICE MURDERER!" brewing hatred is obvious in her loud cry across the courtroom.

"Silence you idiot, I may be only a bird to you but there's a reason you keep me around. It's to make up for your lack of brainpower. We're stuck in a potentially bad situation. We can't just destroy the man and be done with it, he's forcing us to prove in a courtroom his guilt. The facts will be our weapons against him. I suggest we get as much information from Clavados as we can."

Pacing back and forth, contempt flows like sweat down her face.

"ZODD! I hate being manipulated!! can't we just hire a stand in while I cook that bug?"

"No... no I guess we can't, we'll prove him guilty one way or another and I'll bribe those lords into letting my complete his execution"

Necron99
12-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Zodd, obviously disgusted at the lack of fair laws practiced in these parts, walks towards Clavados and begins speaking in an obvious agitated manner.

"Well, quite a spot we're in wouldn't you say? I highly suggest you give us all the information that we need to get through this, and we need it as soon as possible. My patience is quickly fading."

wizarddog
12-04-2009, 02:35 PM
The flushed Clavados approaches you.

"So it appears Miles has his own agenda in this matter. I apologize for having you involved even deeper in this, but the law must be obeyed. Here are the duties the Jury of Inquisition must follow:

You have 30 days in which to discover the facts of the case and to present these to the court along with a verdict. If the evidence collected is acceptable by the rules of the Court, then the Jury's verdict, either way, will be final and binding.

As Jury members, you are officers of the Court, and have the right to question anyone in the Ffenargh. You may only use force against citizens of the Ffenargh in self-defense. You cannot communicate harm or otherwise affect the defendants in any way-physically or magically. Arcanum magicana is not acceptable to the court.

If the Jury fails to present itself to the Court within the allotted time, the defendant is deemed not guilty.

Serving members of the Jury receive a stipend of 50 gold crowns per day from the court. And in addition, you are entitled to retain any "rightful spoils of honorable combat".

Those are the rules and regulations as a serving member of the Jury of Inquisition. You must review all the evidence I have collected so far and seek new avenues if they are open. Have you any questions?"

Necron99
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Zodd still confused as to what happened asks Clavados, "I don't fully understand, why would Miles appoint us to be his jury when we were going to testify against him? Something doesn't add up."

TheBlackDragon
12-05-2009, 08:34 AM
"He wouldn't make us his Jury unless he has good reason to believe we'll fail, or he's just unintelligent... either way he's made the wrong choice"

wizarddog
12-05-2009, 07:48 PM
To Ravi: "Indeed. I do not know what he hoped to accomplished with this stunt. Perhapse your investigation may reveal more. Have you considered your first step?"

Necron99
12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Zodd, not having dealt with judicial matters before, searches his insight for the next logical step in the investigation...

Insight

wizarddog
12-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Zodd believes it might be best to ask Clavados for advice, given he was in charge of the investigation.

Necron99
12-07-2009, 10:42 PM
"Well, you charged us with this task, what do you suggest we do?" Zodd says to Clavados.

wizarddog
12-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Clavados Frowns: "Alas, it was the court which gave you this task. Be assured I find this situation very unpleasant. Miles has managed to exclude me from this case and lay the burden upon you. But the law must be obeyed.
You might question Miles, but he was silent throughout my interrogation and the law give privileges to the Lords. You might consider traveling to the Village of Tollurn, in the region of Sphagbog where the body of Geoffrey D' Arcy was found. Another possibility is Myrkfast Hall, home of Miles and Geoffrey D'Arcy. I had sent a patrol to investigate the hall but a week has past and they have yet to return. Perhaps they have found some intriguing evidence..."

Necron99
12-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Zodd considers Clavados for a moment.

"Forgive me for any offense that I caused, I am just annoyed at the recent turn of events regarding law."

Zodd pauses briefly then says, "The site of the body might yield some hard evidence, or maybe even nothing at all. Visiting the home of Miles sounds risky to me. You sent a patrol and they have not returned? It might just be my nerves, but I my heart tells me something sinister might have occurred."

After thinking for a few moments, Zodd says "The easy option is checking the site where Geoffrey was found, and the obvious difficult option is going to Miles' home. I think we should go to his home, if the patrol met an ill fate, or are delayed, then others should know. My lord Clavados, I am sure you wish to know the status of your patrol. I would rather get the more difficult task out of the way first."

"What do you think, Ravi?" Zodd says.

TheBlackDragon
12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
"Agreed, it seems we're stuck with this task whether we like it or not. Assuming it hasn't been pillaged or otherwise compromised his home should offer some clues, if any are to be found."

Ravi pauses uncharacteristically before continuing to speak.

"I'd guess, given the fate of the prefects sent into the vault, that the patrol was kept quiet in an equally permanent manner. Innocent men don't scheme and cover their tracks, nor do they surrender condemning evidence without resistance. We should watch our backs if we go near his home."

You get a strong feeling her Raven had a strong influence in Ravi's insightful speech.

"I do admit you scholarly magicians can do some unusual things with magic, can we use that to our advantage? I hear there are means to speak with, or even raise the dead?"

"Raise the dead, if it were that simple nobody would ever remain in their graves! we can't simply resurrect anybody we want for our own use, what happens when we're done with him? can Miles even be charged for murder when his victim is alive? Perhaps you should have spent more time as a scholar yourself, you've the reasoning skills of a child."

"I'm not very concerned what happens to him to be honest, my concern is not being executed over this foolishness! and guess what happens if I die? YOU cease to be the blabbering motorbeak you're so proud of being and go back to pecking rotting carcasses!"

wizarddog
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Clavados: "The raising of dead is an old tradition, much talked about in the age of Dawn. However, that ancient magic has been long forgotten since the days of Saint Lum. Besides... the mere act of murdering someone, even if they can be brought back from the dead, does not excuse the crime. It takes a vile mind to commit such a deed, let alone on ones own father!

While I did utilize the speak with dead with the deceased, evidence brought forth by magic is inadmissible. The law is quite clear on this.

I should assure you Lady Ravi, that you are in no danger of execution. You are merely the jury in this case and your decisions are for the court. I am Mile's accuser and it is I who shall answer to the law should he be found innocent.

The Village of Tollurn is 30 miles south of Eylea with Myrfast Hall a mere 3 miles from the village. Even mounted in the marsh trail, it will take you 4 days travel, though villages along the path will accommodate you as needed. By raft along the River Clhag you can land about a day from Tollurn but the widing river stream is blocked by debris at times, it could take from anywhere from 3 to 5 days to transverse the river."

TheBlackDragon
12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Ravi sighs in relief, her usual pleasant demeanor returning.

"Forgive me Lord, I misinterpreted your laws. I feared he'd someone pinned this on us as outsiders for his advantage. I'll do anything in my power to bring him to justice and keep you from an unnecessary death.

Although having any magically discovered evidence inadmissible will put us magicians at a considerable disadvantage."

Intrigue begins to course through her veins like adrenaline. Her strong sense of competition now fully engaged.

"Zodd! lets get this business underway. We'll prove him guilty as he certainly is. Lets head to the home and start the investigation there."

"Oh dear, this should be entertaining" The Raven sounds equally excited, but for a very different reason.

Necron99
12-11-2009, 01:15 AM
"No magic will be difficult...We shall have to use our wits instead. Let me speak with Ravi, so we can decide our path to the village. Excuse us for a moment lord Clavados."

Zodd ushers Ravi to a quiet corner away from anyone lingering in the courthouse and speaks in a quiet tone.

"I'm not sure about you, but I think we should try and travel without any possible attention. The trail is safer and steady, but we are at risk for danger from others. The river might take longer, but we just mainly have to fear the elements. Both have their pros and cons, and I am fine with either, but we should mislead anyone we inform and say we will go down the opposite path that we intend. That is my opinion anyway. How about you?"

TheBlackDragon
12-12-2009, 05:14 PM
"My lizard is well equipped to handle the swamps, and it would definitely be best to avoid the human dangers. I vote the swamps, the extra travel time shouldn't be an issue if we have 30 days."

wizarddog
12-12-2009, 09:04 PM
With supplies taken, the two Jury members slip out of the City of Eylea in the twighlight hours as to avoid notice of absence (assuring Clavados that they intend to see through their duty). A crude map has been given to help you on your journey through the fens.

Eylea sits on Lea Isle. Travel on the islands is easier on the path. You are informed that paths through the marsh are slower. Myrfast Hall lies on Myrk Isle which is a good 30 miles south of Eylea.

Two miles out you come across along the path cross road. To the south west the marker reads Mydwycket 3 miles, Lower Wallop 8 miles. The other marker directly south reads Lagbe-For 15 miles. Lagbe-For you see on the map lies deep within the marsh. It appears to be a more direct route to the village as the path through the other two villages eventually continue to to Lagbe-For.

On the map, the path seems to be longer than simply going through the other villages, however, it appears to be less taken.

Necron99
12-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Zodd on his horse rides up to the crossroads and turns to Ravi, "So, do we take the direct path to Lagbe? It seems to be traveled less. I think any bandits would probably want to stick near roads used more often. Fewer prying eyes that way as well."

TheBlackDragon
12-13-2009, 10:59 AM
"Yes, avoidance would be best"

Ravi usher's her beast forward, taking the direct route through the swamps.

"We saw what the swamp has to offer when we first came here, and it nearly bested the whole lot of those useless mercenaries. Keep your spells in mind at all times."

Her Raven flies up to it's usual observation point high above the traveler's heads, despite the frequent disagreements it's noted they do function well together in threat of danger.

wizarddog
12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Three miles down the trail and it turns a bit south west. After three more miles you see the secure island land has disappeared and the swampy marsh ahead. According to your map, you are traveling in the realm of Kaldefen.

Ravi's lizard seems unhindered by the thick muck trail but Zodd's horse is severely hindered making the trek very difficult and slow. Through the full day and eventual night you travel only five miles through the mucky trail. The horse is exhausted from the trek, refusing to budge and the mist returns in the darkness.

From your map you know a mile ahead is a crossroad. Another mile and the Tributary of River Clhag.

Necron99
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Zodd feels bad for his poor beast, and says to Ravi, "My horse is near death from exhaustion. I can't push him any more. We have to stop for a while to rest him."

TheBlackDragon
12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
"Very well" Ravi pulls gently on the tattered leather reins bound to her lizard, easing it to a stop knee deep in the swamp.

"We'll need dry land and some kind of shelter... can't make it too easy for the wilderness to find us off-guard."

"Find us a suitable spot for the night" Her Raven overlooks the surrounding area for an acceptable sleeping spot.

*Passive Perception: 14*

Necron99
12-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Zodd surveys the land for any type of shelter and dry land for them to sleep on.

Perception
Nature (if needed)

wizarddog
12-16-2009, 03:06 PM
A survey by sight and a knowledgeable nature inquiry and the two find a suitable patch of land to set up camp. Horse and lizard are fed and watered and the two casters rest their bodies on the soft ground with a small fire to keep warm.

Nothing disturbs your rest.

Nearly morning, however, you are awoken by the sounds of a owl. It hoots at you with what sounds like a "Look See" in the distant morning mist.

TheBlackDragon
12-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Ravi turns to face the direction of the sound. "Talking Owls... that's curious. I'm sure there's a positive outcome waiting for us on this one."

"It worked on the way here didn't it? you nearly crawled into the earth following the hoots of brainless wildlife."

"Shut it bird, it was a matter of exploiting a potential exploiter, what better irony than overcoming that which is trying to victimize you? It could be the same case now, and given we have some time I vote we explore this opportunity."

Ravi steps forward to the edge of the swamp, silently staring into the mist for anything of note.

Perception
Insight vs. Bluff if applicable

Necron99
12-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Zodd awakens, rubs the sleep from his eyes, and stands near Ravi.

"An owl?"

Zodd looks around to see what is going on.

Perception

wizarddog
12-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Ravi peers through the mist. Ahead a few yards he sees the silhouette of a gnarled tree. Hanging from it it looks to be some sort of humanoid. On a low branch he see the movement of a black owl.

Ravi swears it has violet glowing eyes staring back at him. It looks at her intently for a few seconds then flies off into the air crying "beware".

TheBlackDragon
12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
"Violet eyed black owls luring us to a hung corpse, this just keeps looking more positive doesn't it?"

Ignoring the warnings from both birds Ravi steps ever closer.

Perception
Arcana