PDA

View Full Version : Ask the DM

wizarddog
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Any and all things that need clarification can be asked here including:

OOC questions not prudent in the game thread.

Question of rulings. I prefer them in here as it breaks the flow of the game if in the game thread. I will try to rectify the problem if it falls into here.

JCD
08-01-2009, 09:04 PM
You might consider bumping the advertisement thread and letting people know you've already got two.

TheBlackDragon
08-03-2009, 08:19 AM
How do you produce random dice rolls on this forum? what's the format?

wizarddog
08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
php code

Bracket roll=(# of dice)d(die)(any additional modifiers or dice)]Description roll End bracket

So, for example, a die roll for 2 10 sided die - 5 would be :

bracket roll=2d10-5]Die Roll[/roll Bracket

JCD
08-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I guess rolling doesn't work in the game thread? Whoops.

TheBlackDragon
08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Lightning Strike

wizarddog
08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
For posting Die rolls, you may need to be signed up for the group. Signing up does not require me to send an invite. Make sure you don't hide the results as well.

Typhon000
08-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey,

Im new to online gaming and would love to give it a try. If you are looking for players please pm me and help me through the stages of creation, rules set etc. thank you.

Typhon

ps. i am not new to dnd, been playing about 10 years now.

TheBlackDragon
08-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey Typhon, not sure if anyone's messaged you yet but I'd assume we're still looking for more players. I'd be happy to help you make a 4th ed character.

wizarddog
08-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Anyone who can aid Typhon, please do so, it would be greatly appreciated. I believe he wishes to play a Cleric.

spider21b
08-09-2009, 09:09 PM
um, do you need anymore players i got a level two elf shaman and named silverfox Otter um i got the character all set up do you have room??

thanks

Ben

wizarddog
08-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Y0u can play.

Typhon000
08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey just trying to find the time to get my charachter written up. I got the basics, i am gonna be a dragonborn cleric. The Lukash T'narkin. Hopefully i can get the stats up here sometime this week.

Typhon

spider21b
08-10-2009, 05:13 PM
can i use wild shape and summon my spirt guide at the same time or one after the other??
--- Merged from Double Post ---
are we ever going to have a chat thing becuese not really used to the post thing thanks wizard

ben aka silverfox

TheBlackDragon
08-10-2009, 07:37 PM
This is a Play by Post game, not sure if we're intending to use chat at any point.

First step to help us help you is post your character sheet in some form.

Gmoz
08-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Haven't used this sites pbp before. Testing to make sure I have rolling down
Attack Test
Damage Test

william
08-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Can a rope of Entanglement work on elementals say air ones.

TheBlackDragon
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Can a rope of Entanglement work on elementals say air ones.

I glanced through a few books, where is this item listed? I'll look it up and find out.

wizarddog
08-12-2009, 12:02 AM
This is a game thread for a Play by Post Not general thread.

In regards to your question, it depends on the version of D&D you are playing.

1e and 2e Elementals do not have specific types listed in monster description. If anything, an elemental requires a magical weapon to be damage (I am assuming--it's been a while and they may only need silver weapons). The rules don't prevent you from grappling them. A rope of entanglement therefore would work unless the creature had magical resitance that may counter the object.

in 3e/3.5 creatures can have the incorporeal type which makes them immune to non-magical weapons and physical damage. The rope would not work on them. But the air elemental is not incorporeal, so it can be effected by the rope of entanglement.

In 4e, there is no write-up on a rope of entanglement (yet or I am unaware of them). Creatures of non-physical state are called insubstantial, but that simply means they take 1/2 damage on all attacks. A rope of entanglement would immobilize them unless they had a phasing ability or teleport. There is no straight air elemental writeup in 4e (at least in MM1, so a DM could desire to give it the insubstantial ability.

The DM is free to rule otherwise and that these creatures can not be effected by the rope. But he/she must be consistant in their ruling, given that a PC in 1e,2e, and 3e/3.5 can take the form of an air elemental in some way.

Vodka
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Wait just a god damn minute here.

What the hell is with this new thing, me not posting in time? What? It hasn’t even been the 24 hour mark since the last combat post was made! And what’s with this sudden new rule? Nowhere, NOWHERE have I seen it mentioned in any of your other threads in the group… until now. I can understand forgetting little notes, but this is too big a pisser to just freaking forget until now all of a sudden. I’m more than a little upset at this sudden magical new rule with shitty time constraints. What the hell, man. Seriously. That wasn't cool.

Gmoz
08-12-2009, 03:15 PM
I think what Vodka is trying to say is, why weren't we previously informed of a time limit. Also what exactly is that time limit?

And from what I read of the description of the creature, our melee effects had no visual effect on it?

TheBlackDragon
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Agreed, lets set out any rules we need to know to avoid surprises or disappointment.

Rultar's strikes true twice as well as Silt's jab.
This sounds to me like the attacks were a success, just not any flavor involved in the description.

Gmoz
08-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Ah indeed I missed that in my haste.

wizarddog
08-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I appologize to vodak.

You may move your PC to the top of iniative order before the creature for the second round. We willa ssume you delayed to be on top of the next round. Since the creature has attacked you may attack on round 2.

The influx of Pc's has had to redesign my posting regiment.

1. I usually have a daily post on moves. For now on, I will post around Midnight on the results of all posts. You will then have a whole 24 to get to post. Should you miss the post, I will move the PC, usually out of harms way or repeat the action it did the previous turn. You need not post on your iniative order but your action takes place in the iniative order.

2. Considering the make up of the creature, the damage you did was not as significant as you would like. The flavor I attributed is the holes left in it's form. And the fact they start closing up should be enough of a sign of what you are dealing with. It is but a minor action to use any knowledge skills you posses to determind the makeup of the creature.

Remember that monsters in 4e have a crap load of hitpoints.

Vodka
08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Okay, so let me ensure that I am getting this straight... For each round, we can post in any order, yes? Doesn't matter what initiative order we have, just so long as we get a post in during that time slot? Yes?

Necron99
08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
testing the rolls

hit

fire
as of right now in the game, I am MOUNTED on my horse, correct?

wizarddog
08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Okay, so let me ensure that I am getting this straight... For each round, we can post in any order, yes? Doesn't matter what initiative order we have, just so long as we get a post in during that time slot? Yes?
To makes things simple, you are correct, that way you don't have to wait for the person ahead of you. If you wish to trigger your action after an another player, you may do so. You may also change lower your initiate order if you choose as per Delay.

testing the rolls
as of right now in the game, I am MOUNTED on my horse, correct?

As long as you have one. Remember that your mounts cannot attack less you have mounted combat feat. In any case, that's still a standard action on your part. They also use your move to get around.

Necron99
08-12-2009, 11:09 PM
so dismounting and readying for combat would be 1 standard action, and the only moves I can make, correct? No spells, etc?

wizarddog
08-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Unless you want to make a DC 15 acrobatics or athletics check to leap off your horse. If you failed, you fall prone on the ground, ending your movement. You still have your standard and minor.

You can attack while remaining on your horse, any move action moves you and your horse while mounted using the horses speed.

Drawing a weapon is a minor action.

Gmoz
08-13-2009, 12:30 AM
I forgot to add that furious assault is a free action encounter power that only triggers on a hit. Would have edited it in, but the forum likes to double your rolls when you do that.

wizarddog
08-13-2009, 12:51 AM
I forgot to add that furious assault is a free action encounter power that only triggers on a hit. Would have edited it in, but the forum likes to double your rolls when you do that.

I figured as much.

Gmoz
08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't know if this is a factor or not yet, but I forgot that my weapon ignores up to 4 points of resistance with each attack.

wizarddog
08-14-2009, 12:23 AM
It will in the future, but not in this combat.

TheBlackDragon
08-14-2009, 07:41 AM
On the resistance topic, I've got resist 5 to Thunder and Lightning, and my attacks ignore up to that amount of resistance from enemies.
Funny coincidence, I RP the bird distracting me and I get a critical miss.

wizarddog
08-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Noted for future reference.

Doesn't apply to current encounter.

TheBlackDragon
10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
OK, I just had a horrible time rolling for some reason. My initiative and Damage rolls made it. Assuming there is no visible attack roll in my first post, use the first roll of the second post... if that makes sense.