PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Omega players?

Tamburlain
07-29-2009, 11:38 PM
So... I was reading the latest issue of Kobold Quarterly the other day, and I noticed an ad for an rpg that I'd not heard of before, Alpha Omega. It looked interesting, so I tried to find out more about it. Their website (http://www.alphaomegathegame.com/) is high on style, but sketchy on conveying much about the content of the game, so I checked out some online reviews. Talk about mixed reactions!

The core rulebook looks beautiful, but with a price tag pushing $50, it'll have to provide more than eye candy.

Anyhoo. Does anyone play AO? Any thoughts? How does it compare to Shadowrun?--which I've also never played.

korhal23
07-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Hm. Looks awesome. I want it lol

I expected a more religious bent with a name like Alpha Omega though... like have you ever played In Nomine? Now there's an awesome game.

Dytrrnikl
07-30-2009, 08:09 AM
After checking out there website, I'm not sure if it doesn't have some sort of religious influence or if they are fans of the rather wild suppositions of Zecharia Sitchin and his Earth Chronicles series, particularly with the mention of Annunnaki as a race for game play. All that aside, it does look kind of interesting, but I'm not about to drop $50 bucks to find out.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I've been thinking about picking myself up a copy for a while now. The book is over 400 pages and it does look promising. Probably obtain one in September, we will see. If anyone else picks one up be sure to say something on this thread.

Doom Crow
07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
You can pick up the PDF for $24.95. here's the link (http://www.alphaomegathegame.com/store/product.php?productid=16169&cat=249&page=1).

Here's an excerpt from the site I just linked:

"Players find themselves in a richly detailed, post-apocalyptic Earth where mankind stands on the brink of extinction. Our planet is about to become the battleground for otherworldly creatures of incredible power as they wage an ancient war. The End of Times seems to have arrived. Are angels and demons walking among us, or is there a larger chain of events unfolding? All is not lost... Alliances are forming and mankind is learning to evolve and unlock its hidden potential... Heroes are emerging... heroes like you. "

Sounds interesting, different from Shadowrun in that there's no mention of magic really in the sense of how magic is in SR. Apparently they throw in free shipping if you grab the hard copy.

Tamburlain
07-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Since posting I've had a chance to listen to an Atomic Array podcast (http://atomicarray.com/alpha-omega-aa012) which focuses on AO and features a decent, albeit not riveting, interview with the game's two primary designers.

Here's what I've learned... It has a religious dimension to it, but one that as far as I can tell is implicit. I think it's a smart move, actually, and the designers claim to have deliberately left certain issues ambivalent. GMs and players who would just as well prefer to steer clear of religious themes can do so, because aliens can sub for the implied angels and demons. Summarily, the premise is that there are some kind of "aliens" or "extradimensional beings" who visit Earth every 10,000 years or so...

Unfortunately, the free intro pdf that was once offered is now attached to a broken link...
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Hm. Looks awesome. I want it lol

I expected a more religious bent with a name like Alpha Omega though... like have you ever played In Nomine? Now there's an awesome game.

Nope. Should I check it out? I'm looking for an interesting futuristic rpg, and I have to admit that it's probably the one area of gaming that I know the least about.

I've been thinking about picking myself up a copy for a while now. The book is over 400 pages and it does look promising. Probably obtain one in September, we will see. If anyone else picks one up be sure to say something on this thread.

Hey, cool. If you do end up picking one up in Sept., let us know what you think. In the meantime, surely someone on P&PG has played it.

After checking out there website, I'm not sure if it doesn't have some sort of religious influence or if they are fans of the rather wild suppositions of Zecharia Sitchin and his Earth Chronicles series, particularly with the mention of Annunnaki as a race for game play. All that aside, it does look kind of interesting, but I'm not about to drop $50 bucks to find out.

Yeah, I feel similarly about the price tag. I will have to have much more proof that it's a worthwhile investment before I drop that kind of coin. Oh, and you're right--the designers talk about the Sitchin (and other nutters'). influences on the game during the podcast that I linked to above.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I'll give everyone an update when i pick up said copy, no doubt in September. I'm not sure if i will care for the religious angle built in but as Tamburlain said, i can always swap them out with aliens. So, no worries.

korhal23
07-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Actually Thoth, I found some more information on it, and it seems like it actually IS about aliens.... it's sort of implied that these are aliens, and are what we humans would usually call "Angels" and "Demons", that they've helped shaped our history and we attribute divine qualities to them.

Yes Tam, In Nomine is a brilliant game made by Steve Jackson Games, though I believe it may be out of print now, however I know they still sell the PDFs. It was designed around playing as honest to goodness angels (and there's also a separate players guide for demons) set in the modern day by default, and it was heavily based on Catholic mythology. That said it was still exceptionally violent and mature. http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/
Always liked this one.

Tamburlain
07-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes Tam, In Nomine is a brilliant game...

It was designed around playing as honest to goodness angels (and there's also a separate players guide for demons) set in the modern day by default, and it was heavily based on Catholic mythology. That said it was still exceptionally violent and mature. http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/
Always liked this one.

Wow. I just checked it out. Certainly gets top marks for a creative rpg premise. From what I read, Nomine is a perfect example of a game that I'd love to have a chance to play, but would definitely pass on GM-ing, as I would simply have no clue how to even begin plotting an adventure in this kind of setting.

korhal23
07-30-2009, 08:21 PM
You could always try the official settings, they're actually very compelling. My favorite (warning spoilers ahead!):

A group of Neo-Nazis has invented a time machine, and uses it to go back in time to save Jesus from being crucified. As this would obviously undo Christianity and a significant chunk of world history, God sends the players back in time to make sure Jesus is still crucified.

The part that caused a huge uproar? (MAJOR SPOILER) If the players failed, eventually the neo-Nazis decide they don't like Jesus peace talk stuff, or the fact that he's a Jew, so they drown him. Upon returning to the present, the players find that little has changed, except that now the symbol of Christianity is now a vial of water.

Tamburlain
09-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Mkay. I took the plunge and purchased AO today. I couldn't resist the $15 dollar discount that Atomic Array has posted for their newest supplement, The Encounter Vol. I. Assuming it won't simply be added to my growing list of games admired but never played, I will write back with a first-hand reaction in the not-to-distant future.